• Published 23rd Aug 2016
  • 4,717 Views, 98 Comments

The Villain: Total Eclipse - Gear Spring

  • ...
16
 98
 4,717

Chapter 7: The Power of One

The colossal dragon lets out another furious roar, sending a shockwave of energy rippling across the landscape. Buildings crumble to dust at the sheer force of the bellow. A mighty claw slams down on the ground, causing the earth to shake beneath the feet of the celestial being., yet Spike does not yield to the presence of the titanic creature. Emerald eyes blazing like the sun itself stare at the cold empty gaze of his shadowy counterpart.

Ha. Ha. Ha. Do you really believe you can defeat me?

“I do not intend to defeat you,” Spike balls his claws into fists, “I intend to wipe you from existence, you pathetic mistake.”

A mistake am I?

The beast roars again.

If it wasn’t for me, you would have reached Celestia or Luna. You are nothing without me.

Spike opens his heavenly wings, a collection of scales glisten gold as his body is wrapped in an aura of light. Pushing off the ground, he is wrapped in a white cloak of energy, speeding upwards blindingly fast as he crashes into the underjaw of the shadow dragon. The blow sends Thorn reeling, smashing into nearby buildings.

Whipping his head upwards, the dark beast spews a stream of green fire up into the air, but it comes up short as it follows the stream of light Spike creates. Soulless eyes follow the beam of light as the celestial dragon comes soaring straight at them. Instead of moving, Thorn opens his giant maw, and bites down on his foe. The light is snuffed out as it disappears inside the great colossus.

Through the cracks in his teeth comes a bright light as the beast struggles to keep its mouth shut. It lets out a painful roar as a beam of light shoots through its upper jaw, allowing the celestial dragon to escape. Spike soars out of the opening, landing safely on his feet. A dark ectoplasm covers his glistening scales. It drips from his body, singing the grass beneath his talons. He watches as the shadow dragon thrashes its head. Eventually the hole that he left, is closed up by blackened tendrils that seem to sew the wound closed.

You think that is enough to defeat me? I have much more power at my disposal!

Throwing his head back, Thorn lets out another mighty roar. From its body black orbs ooze onto the ground. As they touch the soft earth, they expand, swelling to the size of two ponies. One continues to expand while the other bursts. Inside emerges Discord, and yet there is something off about the Lord of Chaos. The colorful array of animal body parts is a blackened hue. His eyes are a glowing red, and there is a sinister expression on his face. Meanwhile, the other has grown to half the size of the colossal dragon its spawned from before it bursts. Ooze drenches the wicked form of Tirek, who looks more infernal. Swirling between his horns are a fiery orange globe.

He lets out a roar and fires a beam directly at Spike. The celestial dragon manages to swoop out of the way, but the beam continues on, directly at the onlooking Twilight Sparkle and her friends. Before it connects, the princess throws up a barrier. It intercepts the attack, but shatters instantly, sending her sailing back into her friends.

“Twilight!” Apple Jack catches her. “You okay, sugar cube?”

“Y-Yeah,” the princess says, looking up. “I’m fine.

“What should we do, darling?” Rarity chimes in, yet she never takes her eyes off of Spike.

“I, I don’t know,” she looks worried, “Without the elements, I don’t know how we can stand up to either of them.”

“So we just have to stay here,” Rainbow Dash folds her hooves, “And wait?”

“Unfortunately.”

Meanwhile, Spike is pinned to the ground by Discord. The Lord of Chaos has him bound with thorny roots that have sprung from the earth. Above them, Tirek comes falling down like a meteor. Just before the centaur collides, the celestial dragon lets out a blinding flash of energy. Both shadowy beings are swallowed by the light. In the veil of white, Spike emerges. A manifestation of light has wrapped around his hand, mimicking his claw several times its regular size. With the massive talons he slashes at his darkened counterpart. The shadow dragon is knocked to the ground again.

You may think you can win, but I am the manifestation of six villains. You cannot hope to defeat all of us!

“You are nothing, but a fool,” Spike growls. “You still rely on others without delving deep into your own abilities.”

I defeated you once when you were a Shadow Dragon. I’ll do the same as you are, Celestial Dragon. I have the powers of darkness. I have the powers of the villains. I have the manifestation of your greed. I am many, and you are alone.

The body of the colossal dragon seems to shrink slightly, but still is gargantuan compared to everything else. From its body the ground is seeped with shadows. Like plants taking root, bodies start to grow forth, each taking the shape of one of the villains that the ponies have faced. Like Discord and Tirek, every single one of them is soaked in black energy, giving off a devilish aura to them. At the forefront of this gathering is a shadowy version of Thorn. His eyes blaze red and a sinister fanged smile spreads across his face.

“You cannot hope to defeat us,” he bellows, “We are many, and you. You are all alone.”

“Yes, I’m alone,” Spike stands his ground. “I’ve always been alone, but that doesn’t matter. Come at me with your six, or six hundred. It doesn’t matter to me…”

Spike plants his foot, digging his heel into the dirt.

“Because…”

The enemy charges even as his scales seem to ignite like fire.

“Compared to them…”

Thorn builds up energy in his horn. It turns red hot as he inches closer to the celestial dragon. Behind him the other villains close in.

“I. Am. A. God.”

He lets out a powerful draconic roar as light explodes from his body in a supernova-like explosion. The energy engulfs the enemy, shredding the shadow-creatures in the heavenly glow. All that remains is the dark pony, Thorn. In that light, the two gaze into one another. The furious red has slipped from Thorn, as he remains still. Emerald eyes stare sternly at the body that he once was. The celestial dragon grabs ahold of the pony, and then sinks his fangs into the neck.

Outside the attack, the girls must shield their eyes from the blast. Peering behind her hoof, Twilight Sparkle sees some-pony standing in the epicenter of the dome of light. As it fades, the image of a dragon stands unhinged. The beast has scales that appear to be wrapped in twilight. Deep violet is sparkled in stars as if he were forged from the heavenly bodies. The wing on his left is bright with golden webbing, marked with the image of the sun. His right appears as black as night, with the glowing moon emblazoned upon it. Standing tall and regal, the Eclipse Dragon appears to be looking up into the sky, completely ignoring those around him.

Twilight takes a step forward, “Spike?”

Turning his head, she is met by the same sharp emerald eyes, yet there appears to be a golden ring about his pupil.

“Celestia is still alive,” he says coldly. “The same can be said for Princess Luna, although where she is I do not know.”

“Why are you telling me this?”

He holds up his claws, “Three days, Twilight Sparkle. Your precious princesses have three days to admit their guilt. By the setting sun on the third day, I will raze Equestria to the ground.”