• Published 23rd Aug 2016
  • 4,712 Views, 98 Comments

The Villain: Total Eclipse - Gear Spring

  • ...
16
 98
 4,712

Chapter 8: The Last of Us

Claws whose violet hues and starry scales blend seamlessly with the celestial bodies as they lift for the heavens. Over the horizon, Spike watches as the sun breaks into the sky, bringing a deep blue to the blackened night. As his talons move so does the great fiery ball. Higher and higher he carries the sun to the heavens. Stars fade away into the blue. Clouds bud to life, floating happily along a distant breeze. For a moment, the sun hovers in one spot before the eclipse dragon moves it a little further toward the mountains out in the view. Giving a satisfied smile, he lets his hand slip to the ground. From the cliff, does he stare at the morning sun as it hangs there for him and the rest of Equestria to enjoy. But then, his moment of joy fades. Emerald eyes look down at the Everfree Forest sitting hundreds of feet below.

“It is the second day already.”

He folds his claws together, squeezing them tightly.

“I had hoped Celestia would come forward…”

He grits his teeth. Fangs gnash so tightly that it causes his gums to bleed. Crimson trickles out of the corner of his mouth, dripping onto the blades of grass.

“Do not…”

Next to the blood, droplets of water fall on the green. Spike trembles.

“Do not force my hand…”



Twilight Sparkle paces back and forth, occasionally glancing to the door that leads to her bedroom. Yet each time she does, it remains the same; closed. The sound of trotting hooves draws her attention to the end of the hall. A white stallion approaches, looking bruised and battered, yet very much alive.

“Shining,” she says, her eyes wet with tears. “How’s Cadence?”

“She’s still unresponsive,” her brother says with a warry smile, “But at least whatever had been possessing her is gone.”

“That’s good,” her eyes never waver from the door.

“So,” Shining Armor rubs the back of his mane, “Has the princess woken up?”

“No…”

“And no sign of Princess Luna?”

Twilight shakes her head, “And it is already the second day. What am I going to do if we cannot get either to speak? What if Spike really intends to destroy Equestria? What if…”

Before she can continue, her big brother puts a hoof around her, pulling her head against his chest. The steady beating of his heart drums in her ear, which seems to put a calming effect on the nervous princess.

“It will be alright, Twilight,” he reassures her. “You and your friends will be able to save us; like you always do.”

“But how?” she pulls away, “With our harmony out of balance, we are powerless against him.”

“You will find a way. I know you will…”

All of a sudden, a blue blur comes careening through an open window, and slams into Twilight Sparkle, sending her rolling into the wall. Startled, Shining Armor’s horn glows, readying a spell, but it is doused when he sees Rainbow Dash rubbing her head as she is sprawled beside her friend. The Princess of Friendship shakes the daze from her head as she turns to the blue Pegasus.

“Rainbow, why did you just crash into me.”

“I tried to get here as fast as I could,” Dash says in a panicked tone. “They found her barely conscious lying in the middle of Sweet Apple Acre.”

“Who?” Twilight asks.

“Princess Luna!”

The bedroom door opens with a hallowed screech, as a voice speaks softly, “Luna?”



Out in the Everfree Forest, the great dragon watches as his sun continues to move across the sky. With every passing hour, the dread he feels in the pit of his stomach only strengthens. Above, the sky starts to redden and paints a plethora of colors with the setting sun. Unable to endure, he rises to his feet.

“Why?” he demands to know one. “Would you rather your kingdom fall, your people vanquished, all for the sake of feigning your crown?”

“Perhaps she is still asleep,” he hears a voice tickle his ear. “After all, having the essence ripped out of you is quite tiring.”

Spike turns to see the devilish draconequus standing on the cliff side. The lord of chaos has a twisted grin upon his face as he raises a bushy brow.

“Discord,” Spike bears his fangs, “Come to get rid of me?”

“Heavens no,” he shakes his head, “I know that even my magic is no match for the Eclipse Dragon.”

“Wait, you know what I am?”

The great beast lowers his claws, but narrows his eyes.

“Certainly,” Discord says as affirmatively, “I had contested with your father in the past.”

A flash of angry ignites the gold in Spike’s eyes, “You’ve known about my ancestry, this whole time?”

“Yes,” Discord folds his arms behind his back. “I also knew that Celestia and Luna never gave back the magic they took from your dear old dad.”

“And you never thought to tell anyone!”

He shrugs, “Being trapped for over a thousand years, I guess I happen to forget about that little detail.”

Spike scowls, “You’re a bad liar.”

“It would not have mattered regardless,” Discord says. “In the eyes of all the ponies, I was the villain in their little tale. No one would have ever believed me. I doubt you would have believed me.”

“So what have you come here to do then. Taunt me?”

“Precisely,” the lord of chaos smiles. “I don’t think you realize the similar position you find yourself in. You are the villain now in this story, and no matter what happens you have lost.”

“I will expose Celestia and Luna of their crimes.”

“Will you? Exposing the secrets will only make them hate you. You will have pulled the veil on their pretty little lives. That everything they believed was a lie. Now you could use the alternate route. No one would hate you, because, well, there would be no one to hate you. Either way, you are doomed.”



Back at Twilight’s castle, the ponies have gathered around the table, although none of them take seats in the thrones. At the one end of the table, the princesses gather together. Celestia and Luna look worse for wear. The flow of their manes has left them, leaving their hair to droop to the side. While their wings remain, there is hardly any trace of their magic.

“My little ponies,” Celestia speaks in a royal tone, “Spike has continued his betrayal. He has stolen the magic of both mine and my sister. He intends to use our power against us, to harm our citizens. This cannot be tolerated, but without our magic there is nothing we can do. Therefore, I am calling upon the help of the last alicorn. Twilight Sparkle, will you save our kingdom from a tyrant.”

Twilight Sparkle looks out to her friends, yet solemn look fills her face, “I. I will try…”