• Published 19th Jun 2012
  • 5,313 Views, 552 Comments

Perfect On Paper - NintendoGal55



Rainbow Dash realizes the perfect pony for her is actually Fluttershy

  • ...
10
 552
 5,313

This Night

6:17

There was still time left.

Fluttershy checked everything once again. The dinner was made, check. All she had to do was serve it. The table was set, check. She had her finest silverware and plates out for this, along with serving juice in wine glasses. The dessert was made, check. Everything was prepared.

“Now all that's left is for-” Fluttershy was cut off when she felt a tapping on her foreleg.

Looking down, she saw Angel looking up at her with an expectant frown. He was clearly reminding her of something. When she didn't seem to understand, he grabbed a hoofheld mirror and held it in front of her face for her to see her own reflection.

Her mane was a limp, bedraggled mess, her face was sweaty, her eyes were tired, and she was still wearing the apron.

“Oh! Oh dear...thank you, Angel!”

Fluttershy quickly made her way to her bathroom. She first splashed some water into her face, washed her hooves, and then dried off. Taking her brush, she fixed her mane, and gave quick brush to her tail. She then applied some soft makeup, enough to just enhance her features, though not drastically. Looking her best for tonight was part of the plan!

6:21

Once she was cleaned up, she came out of the bathroom and then set her apron to be washed later.

“All right, I'm ready now! I just have to wait for Rainbow to show up...I hope she likes this!” Fluttershy paced about on the floor. “Oh, but what if she doesn't? What if it's too much? Should I light candles? No, what if that's too much? Will she think this is romantic? No, she's had dinner here with me before, and at her place, too... It's not the first time!”

6:23

“What if she doesn't show up? What if she changes her mind? What if Blazing Comet brought her dinner instead?”

Fluttershy sat down, biting her lip. The past two weeks leading up to tonight, the night of the fireworks show, had been...hectic to say the least. She had not seen Rainbow Dash very often at all. Anytime she tried, she was either busy with her weather duties, helping out one of their friends with something, doing tricks, or hanging around Blazing Comet. Considering Blazing Comet didn't always have much free time, Fluttershy could understand why they wanted to make the best of the time they had to hang out. She could clearly see that the two were becoming very close friends.

But, as envious as she may have felt, especially since she barely saw her the past two weeks, she resolved not to let it get to her. After all, she had managed to catch Rainbow Dash the day before and asked her to come over for dinner this very evening. Much to her delight, Rainbow Dash immediately agreed to it, and arranged to come at 6:30, then would leave for the fireworks show by 7:15 or so, to make it for 7:45.

6:26

Fluttershy paced, nervous once again. “I hope I don't mess this up...I hope I can tell her. I hope I won't tell her too soon...But I hope I'll be able to. I'll just need to find the perfect moment to tell her.”

Knock knock!

Squeaking in surprise, Fluttershy looked at the clock with wide eyes. It was 6:27, three minutes early.

“She...came early...”

Checking in the mirror one last time, Fluttershy beelined to the door, and opened it to reveal a grinning Rainbow Dash.

“Hey, Fluttershy!” Rainbow Dash greeted, giving her a hug. “I'm not too late, am I?”

“Oh, no!” Fluttershy blushed, feeling herself smile dreamily as she hugged her back. She could get used to hugs for greetings! “You're very early, actually.”

“Am I?” Rainbow Dash let her go, then came inside, glancing at the clock. “Ha! Whaddya know! And I was almost held up! See, I took Comet home, and she asked me to come to join her family for dinner.”

Fluttershy's smile faded. “....What? She did?”

“Yeah, but I said no,” Rainbow Dash explained. “I mean, you asked me first and I already had that commitment to you, Fluttershy! Besides, I did have dinner with her and her family earlier this week, and I didn't see you just about all week!”

Wings fluttering, Fluttershy felt her smile return. “Oh, I see...well, she's...still coming along to the fireworks show?”

“Yeah, she said she'd meet us near the park before it starts!” Rainbow Dash grinned, and then took a sniff. “Hey, that smells awesome! It's all ready?”

“It is, yes!” Fluttershy smiled more. “Oh, go take a seat! I'll be right there to serve.”

“You sure you don't want me to help?” The cyan Pegasus offered.

“No no, you're a guest! Please, have a seat.”

Chuckling, Rainbow Dash smiled and complied, sitting down at the table. “...What's with all the fancy stuff?” She pointed her hoof down at the plate in front of her.

“Oh, um...I uh...well, I don't have guests for dinner very often, you know. So, I felt it would be nice to use the silver and china!” Fluttershy smiled sheepishly. It was partially the truth, anyway.

Rainbow Dash thought it over, and nodded. “Okay, then! You're the hostess! So, what'd you make?”

“Rice and vegetable stir-fry, with red, yellow and green peppers! Along with my homemade honey and garlic sauce, and a cherry tomato salad!” Fluttershy hovered over to the table, placing the serving bowls on the table between their plates, a container of the sauce, and then the bottle of apple juice.

Rainbow Dash beamed, practically drooling as she eyed the succulent dishes. She sniffed them, and sighed in pleasure, rubbing her hooves together eagerly before patting her tummy. “One of my favourites! And you make the best ever, Fluttershy! Wow! You're spoiling me!”

“Oh, but that's not at all! I made your favourite pie for dessert! Wildberry blast!” Fluttershy added, smiling as she took a seat across from her best friend.

Rainbow Dash's jaw dropped. “Wildberry pie?! You made wildberry pie?! Awww! Fluttershy! This is too much! You're too much! I mean, jeez! You always make me something I like when we have dinner together! That's so awesome of you!”

'Nothing is too good for the love of my life...' Fluttershy thought. Her heart swelled with happiness, her cheeks pinkened bashfully, and her smile grew. “Oh, Rainbow Dash...I'm always happy to cook for you, and for it all to be something you enjoy. It's nothing, really.”

“Are you kidding?! I'm just about ready to make you my personal chef!” Rainbow Dash eagerly served herself some of the food, sauce, then poured the apple juice into their glasses. She then dug into her food, but without making a mess. “Aw, man! Awesome! Man, I don't know how I go without your awesome cooking, Fluttershy! This is the best! Thanks a lot!”

“You're welcome, Rainbow...I'm so glad you're enjoying it!” Fluttershy began to eat as well. “So...did you have a good day?”

“Yeah!” Rainbow Dash said between bites, and then swallowed. “Since I had a lot to do for tonight, Cloud Kicker gave me the day off, so I had plenty of time to squeeze in practicing some new tricks!”

“And some more nap time?” Fluttershy smiled.

The cyan Pegasus snickered. “You know me too well, Fluttershy! Anyway, then I met with Comet and we grabbed some apples from Sweet Apple Acres, we raced around the fields of it several times, and I won a few times! But boy she's good! No wonder, she was a Wonderbolt! We hung out together, then I brought her home, and now I came here!”

“That's...great, I'm glad you two had fun,” Fluttershy looked down at her plate.

“You said it!” Rainbow Dash finished her salad, licking her lips. “Mm! Scrumptious! As always, Fluttershy!”

Feeling better, Fluttershy smiled. “Thank you, Rainbow...”

“Sure thing! So, what about you? Good day?” Rainbow Dash poured some more honey and garlic sauce onto her rice and veggies, even just a tiny bit on her hoof to lick off. She loved Fluttershy's homemade garlic and honey sauce.

“Oh, well, I had spent most of today preparing for our dinner here,” Fluttershy admitted with a sheepish smile. “As well as caring for my animals, and making sure they would all be safe and sound while we're attending the fireworks tonight.”

“You went to all that trouble?” Rainbow Dash now paused in mid-sip of her drink, staring wide-eyed at Fluttershy. “Man...you really are too much, pal! Seriously, I'm going to have to do something for you in return!”

'Just your happiness is all I ask for, beloved...'

“No no, you don't have to,” Fluttershy waved it off, finishing her bowl of salad as well. “I'm always glad to do these things for my friends, and for you, too. Besides, tonight will be fun, and I wanted to kick it off with a lovely dinner between...you and I.” She gulped a little, hoping in some way, her friend would come to some kind of happy medium conclusion about this.

“Oh...well, gosh, Fluttershy...” Rainbow Dash smiled sweetly at her, in a way that just about rivaled the way she smiled at her when she had saved her from the Changelings of her image trying to ambush her. “This was so awesome of you to do this, really. I didn't think this day could get any better before the fireworks, but boy it did! I can't thank you enough for this! I uh...really don't say this often enough, but...Fluttershy, thanks so much for being there. Just...being there! Being you! It's always guaranteed to brighten my day. Everything you do for me, even just something like this,” she gobbled another bite of her rice and veggies, happily savouring the bite. “Making dinner, I mean, is just awesome because it comes from you! Thanks, really. You're the best, Fluttershy!”

Blushing considerably, this time, Fluttershy just couldn't look away from her. She felt so touched, so moved...just about every time Rainbow Dash would open her heart to her in some kind of way. Be it through words, action, or facial expression, it just meant the world to her. Having her dearest friend show in her own ways that their friendship meant just as much to her never failed to melt her heart. Not only did she love her so much, and treasured their bond, but their longtime friendship as well.

Their eyes meeting, Fluttershy smiled all the more, growing dreamier by the minute.

“Rainbow Dash...thank you so much. I can't even begin to tell you how much that means to me, really,” the timid mare fought back the urge to cry. This was going beautifully. If the rest of the evening went without a hitch, as she hoped, she would be able to tell her how she felt. “It gives me wonderful joy to make you happy, Rianbow...really. It's an honour I'll never fail to adore. I hope I can make you as happy...as you make me.”

Rainbow Dash regarded her with a fond smile, even reaching her hoof across the table toward her. “Fluttershy, you always make me happy. Even in my worse times, I know...but you're my best friend! You'll always make me happy. Least I can make you happy, that goes without saying!”

'Oh...Rainbow Dash...I love you! I love you so much, my darling! You're wonderful! If you keep talking like that, I may just tell you!'

“I'm glad...” Fluttershy gently reached her hoof across the table to touch hers as well. Maybe this was a perfect time to tell her. They were alone, in her home, and this was slowly like a date. And Rainbow Dash seemed to be very receptive of everything so far. Maybe...she just needed a lead-in, just to see where they stood, if nothing else. “Um...Rainbow?”

“Yeah, Fluttershy?”

“I want you to know something...very personal... I haven't told anypony else...but...I just want you to know this.”

“Huh? Well, okay, what is it?” A mild look of worry seemed to cross the cyan Pegasus' face.

“....Well...you see...Rainbow...I...I know you all have...asked me why I'm not seeing anypony...or why I never really did in the past...except that one time... But...Rainbow...I wanted you to know this. You're my best friend, and I trust you very much. ...Rainbow...I'm....I....I like....I like...”

“Yeah? Go on.”

“...Mares,” Fluttershy just couldn't do it. But at least she had managed to get somewhere. This was the truth, after all, and it was something she had never told anypony else.

Rainbow Dash looked at her with surprise for a few moments, not responding. But she didn't look repulsed nor disgusted. Just surprised. Fluttershy felt slightly relieved, at least she had something of a reaction that didn't seem to result in her storming out. She just looked at her, wide-eyed, lips parted slightly.

“Um....n-never mind...I probably shouldn't have brought this up out of nowhere like I did. I'm sorry! I don't even know why I said it, I just-”

“Fluttershy, hey!” Rainbow Dash cut her off quickly, shaking her head. “Calm down. It's okay! I just...well, I didn't expect it, really. ...So...you're gay?”

A little nod. “I'm gay.”

A grin spread across the the cyan mare's face before she nodded also, and then took another bite of food.

Fluttershy raised her head then. “Rainbow...you're not mad?”

“Mad? Of course not!” Rainbow Dash shook her head, looking her in the eye. “Fluttershy, nothing could ever make me hate you! I'd never toss aside our friendship over something like that,” she then cleared her throat, looking slightly sheepish. “Besides... I'd be a hypocrite if I was mad at you for that.”

THUMP.

“You...you mean...?” Fluttershy looked at her with intense anticipation. Her heart pounded, stomach churned, cheeks burned, muscles tightened. She wondered how she didn't collapse out of her seat in the sheer joy of it all.

“Yep. I like mares too, Fluttershy. ...I'm gay,” Rainbow Dash admitted, but she smiled a bit. “Long story, really. Remember a few years ago, when I did try dating that one stallion?”

“Yes, I remember. That upcoming baseball player from Las Pegasus, Striker?” Fluttershy recalled with a nod. “What about him?”

“Well...aside from us not working out, I realized I liked mares. See, we tried to...you know...” The cyan Pegasus cleared her throat, skipping the inner details of the topic. “But as much as I liked him, I just wasn't attracted to him in that way. I realized I just didn't like stallions like that! Unfortunately, that night, I also found out he was married. His wife came home, then she came into the bedroom, acting all sexy. Well, his wife was angry, I was angry, she was humiliated, I was humiliated. My wings popped right up, I couldn't stop looking at her, and I was even about to try to suggest we do it instead. How pathetic is that?! I didn't even know that mare and I wanted her in bed with me! Didn't help that she was a model, on top of that. Since then, I realized that I liked mares, and just never quite knew it.”

Fluttershy stared, wide-eyed at her best friend as she told the story. While she had known full well that things didn't work out between her and Striker, she had never been told of the inner details. She had assumed there wasn't much to it, that they simply weren't compatible as a couple. Then there was the core truth, that Rainbow Dash did like mares after all, despite she had long ago denied it. Now there was this whole new side of the story she had never imagined. It was quite a bit to take in, she wasn't sure how to respond.

“I mean...you know I always said I never liked mares, because of those punks that kept calling me a fillyfooler?” Rainbow Dash went on. “Looking back, I guess I was kinda denying it, but didn't even really know better, either. Well, now I know! And now I don't care what anypony thinks. Not that I'll broadcast it or anything, but I won't lie about it. No, I'm gonna stand up to anypony who tries to cross me about it!” She finished her food, and wiped her mouth. “...But um, Fluttershy...can you promise me not to tell anypony? You're the only one I've told, and I'll tell the others when I'm ready, when it's a good time to share it. But for now, it's our secret. Okay?”

With a warm smile, Fluttershy nodded as she reached over the table to hold her hoof. “Of course, Rainbow. I completely understand, and I won't tell anypony or our friends. I promise you that I will keep it a secret.”

“Pinkie Promise?” Rainbow Dash added, smiling.

“Yes! I Pinkie Promise. Cross my heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye.”

“...Man, thanks a lot, Fluttershy. Sure feels good to get that off my chest! I guess you feel pretty good too, huh?”

Her smile grew as the creamy yellow Pegasus took in what her best friend said, now feeling a new shred of hope. This meant she had even more of a chance! Well, of course, just because somepony happened to like another pony of the same or opposite sex did not mean an instant chance that they liked you. But at least Rainbow Dash would take her feelings seriously and understand, considering she too liked mares. At least the fear of the backlash was completely gone.

“I do, in fact...I feel much better about it all,” Fluttershy said softly. “Thank you so much for sharing this with me, Rainbow...I know it must not have been easy for you, but I'm....well I...I'm thrilled you have come to feel comfortable enough to share such a story with me.”

Now Rainbow Dash grinned widely all over again. “Aww, Fluttershy! Stop it, you big sissy.” She then got off her chair, sat on her haunches and opened her forelegs. “C'mere, you!”

Giggling, Fluttershy got off her chair as well and went to hug her best friend. She melted, savouring the warmth and security of her best friend's tender embrace. She nuzzled into her neck, the fresh scent of lavender and a rainy day in her mane coming to her nose. A little shudder coursed up her spine upon feeling Rainbow Dash's hoof gently rubbing her back, even brushing along her mane. She sighed dreamily, feeling her eyes close.

“I should be thanking you, Fluttershy! If you hadn't been honest with me right now about that, I don't know if I'd have ever gotten this off my chest. Thanks a lot, pal! You're the best,” Rainbow Dash pulled back, brushing some of Fluttershy's mane from her eyes. “I guess I should've known all along that I could trust you with this. Hey, glad you can trust me, too! That's always good to hear!” She grinned from ear to ear, keeping her hoof on the side of her face.

'Rainbow...my love...kiss me... Kiss me...please...I will love you forever!'

But she didn't say that. The tears pooled in her eyes as Fluttershy's smile grew. “You're welcome, Rainbow Dash...I trust you too... I'm very glad we had this talk together.”

“Me too!” Rainbow Dash hugged her once more, squeezing, and then let her go. “So, what say we finish up, have some pie, and then get going, eh?”

“Sure...” Fluttershy nodded, now getting back onto her chair. “Oh...Rainbow...why don't we make a toast?”

“Toast? With our dinner here? Well, okay, I guess if you want some toast...” Rainbow Dash said, a little confused.

Fluttershy giggled, beaming at her. “Not that kind of toast, silly. I meant a toast, like this,” she rose her glass up in demonstration.

“Oh! Yeah, that kind of thing,” Rainbow Dash sat back in her seat, taking her glass in her hoof. “Um...to what?”

“Well...how about...to opening up and sharing with each other, to trusting each other...and our friendship?” Fluttershy suggested.

Rainbow Dash thought about it for a moment, but then grinned again. “All right! Take it away, Fluttershy!”

“Okay, well....” Fluttershy cleared her throat. “To trust, to opening up about our feelings of certain matters, and to our wonderful friendship.”

“To all of that and my awesomeness!” Rainbow Dash chortled.

Giggling, Fluttershy clinked her class against her friend's before taking a sip. This evening was going even better than she hoped.

XXX

The park was packed with many ponies, all gathered around to find some good places for the fireworks show. Excited chatter, laughter, and the smells of all the food being served at the vendors set up all over the park filled the air. The trio had even passed Applejack, who had taken advantage of the event to sell some of her apple goods. To further support her, they each bought an apple cupcake, with of course Fluttershy pointing out that they just had dinner. Rainbow Dash of course responded that she had a bottomless stomach, earning laughter from Comet and Applejack.

Fluttershy carried Rainbow Dash's gift in her saddlebags, waiting for just the right time to give it to her.

Comet then offered to fly ahead and seek out a good spot, to which Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy followed after her in the air. They eventually came to a small hill near the forest outskirts of the park, and settled there. They weren't too far from the action, but in a great place to avoid the crowds.

Since there was still a great deal of time before the fireworks started, Rainbow Dash and Comet partook in chatting for a little while about things, just simply nattering about what was on their minds.

Flutterhsy, however, was slowly coming to see that this was a big mistake. She felt like a third wheel, having nothing to contribute to their conversations. Try as she may, nothing she said was at the level of what they were talking about. So oftentimes, she just let them talk. It was what she was good at, anyway. Listening.

“Okay, so I think if you tried the Lightning Streak and then followed with a Sonic Rainboom, that could make for an interesting combination!” Comet exclaimed, spreading her forelegs out for emphasis.

“Wow! That's an awesome idea, Comet!” Rainbow Dash grinned from ear to ear, nodding her head so hard it threatened to fall off. “Once I perfect the Lightning Streak, I bet I could pull off making a Sonic Rainboom go along with it!”

Comet grinned also, hooking her foreleg around Rainbow's neck and ruffling her mane. “That's my girl! I can't WAIT to see that!”

“Oh, you'll be the first, Comet!”

Fluttershy squeaked, inaudibly, and her ears went flat. 'But I'm usually the first one to see your new tricks, Rainbow... Then again....it's only appropriate that you have somepony who's as experienced as you are.' She couldn't take this. She needed something to drink, something cool and sweet to calm her nerves.

Getting up off the blanket, she started to head off down the hill, thinking neither of them would notice her departure.

“Hey! Fluttershy, where are you going?”

Fluttershy froze, then turned around to meet with a confused Rainbow Dash and Comet.

“Um,I was just going to get drinks. I didn't want to interrupt your conversation...” Fluttershy said sheepishly.

“Don't be silly!” Rainbow Dash waved it off. “You can say something like that, especially since you're going to get drinks!”

“You sure? I can go get them, if you want,” Comet offered.

“No, it's all right. I'll get them,” Fluttershy was thrilled at the idea of being alone with Rainbow Dash...but knew it would just be short-lived. After all, she needed to be by herself with her thoughts for a moment. “What would you two like?”

Comet grinned, looking pleased, and then thought for a moment, “Get me a grape soda, that'd be awesome!”

“I'll have some blueberry soda!” Rainbow Dash said, grinning widely as well as she winked.

Fluttershy turned, heading off into the park to locate a vendor that sold sodas. Her heart sank all the more, as she realized that this was an even bigger mistake than she thought.

“Oh, are you daring as always?” Comet smirked toward the cyan Pegasus.

“Oooh, and you're so daring?” Rainbow turned her attention back to her fellow daredevil, smirking as well. “A soda! Oooooh! How terrifying!”

“I can down the entire bottle in one gulp,” Comet challenged.

“I can down the entire bottle in one gulp in less than fifteen seconds!”

“I can do it in less than ten!”

“Oh, it's on!”

“You bet it is!”

The two Pegasi spat onto their hooves, clopping them together before they burst into hearty laughter.

“Man, Dash, I'm just having so much fun with you!” Comet proclaimed, smiling then as she relaxed a bit. “I'm glad we came out here tonight, it's been awesome so far!”

“I know!” Rainbow agreed, flying up and stretching her legs before settling back on the blanket next to her. “I had an awesome day! Would you say you had an awesome day?”

“Well, aside from some minor setbacks in my aunt's treatments that we had to fix, yep!” Comet nodded. “I had a pretty awesome day, too! And part of it's all thanks to you, Dash!”

“Ah, stop it! You guys are too much today!” Rainbow giggled girlishly, and laughed. “Not to say I don't deserve the awesomeness!”

“Oh, but so do I!” Comet winked. “Anyway, so hey, how's Fluttershy?”

Rainbow shrugged a bit, then smiled as she turned her attention to the sky for a moment. “Fluttershy? She's pretty good! She was all smiles and sweetness since I got to her house earlier, and she's been pretty excited for tonight! I don't blame her, the fireworks are going to be so cool, I heard!” She looked back at the orange Pegasus, grinning. “We have great times together, we really do.”

“That's good to hear,” Comet smiled. “You know, the first few times I saw you two, and don't worry, I don't mean anything insulting by this, I could swear you two were dating.”

Now Rainbow Dash looked taken aback by that statement as her eyes went wide with surprise. But then, she smiled. Her lips quivered. Then she started to giggle. Then laugh. And it wasn't long before she burst out into hysterics, falling over on the blanket and flailing her forelegs like an excited filly on their birthday. Even Comet grinned before she fell over laughing as well.

“You can't be serious! Fluttershy and me! I mean, wow! What the hay!” Rainbow Dash squealed, laughing so hard that she was crying. “I mean...dating! What the hay!”

“I-I can't help it! Sorry!” Comet sat back up, wiping her eyes. “I don't know how I thought it, but it just kind of came off that way!”

“Why do you say that?” Rainbow sat up as well, wiping her eyes and holding her sides to dull the aching pain.

“Well, I can't say much, and it was mostly a passing thought at the time, anyway,” Comet shrugged. “But it's sweet that you two are close, and well, I could be misreading, but you two have a lot of chemistry.”

“Eh, it's a nice thought!” Rainbow Dash shrugged, waving it off. “But nah, we're not dating. I mean...me and Fluttershy? Seriously, she's my best friend and all, but oh no. It's not like that. Besides, no way, she can't keep up with me!”

“I see,” Comet nodded in understanding.

“But you know, there is somepony else I wouldn't mind attaching that to, if you know what I mean,” the cyan Pegasus winked.

Blazing Comet smirked, looking toward her. “Really now? You've got somepony in mind?”

“Well, I kinda do, but I have to admit, I'm not sure how they even feel. Wouldn't want to scare them away, or ruin things with them,” Rainbow shrugged. “I really like....her.”

“Oh, really?” Now Comet looked genuinely curious. “You like mares, Dash?” It wasn't asked out of disgust nor repulsion, but rather out of curiosity, seeking confirmation if nothing else.

Rainbow Dash swallowed a bit. So far so good, at least now she had a bit of leeway into this. Her heart pounded, the curious green eyes of Blazing Comet looked back into her own. She was slightly more sentimental than she herself was, so she wanted to make sure she could get the words out enough to reach her level, but not get too sappy or silly.

“Yeah, I like mares. It's a long story, but yeah, no denying it. I like mares. And well, between you and I, there is a pony I like. She's pretty awesome, if you ask me. Daring, fast, graceful, and also can keep up with me...maybe even surpass me,” Rainbow Dash said as confidently and daringly as possible, despite that she was shaking like a leaf on the inside. “And hey, she's pretty, has a great personality, works hard, all that good stuff.”

Comet thought for a few moments before she smiled, leaning toward her a little. “Well, do I know her?”

“Sure you do! Real well!” Rainbow Dash grinned. “I think you know her better than me.”

A gleam came to the former Wonderbolt's eyes as her smile grew. Rainbow felt her heart soar, wondering if this was it, if she caught the hints and would be giving her answer. If not, then it would mean she would have to find a way to break it to her in direct words, laying it down on the line for her. But then what if she said no? Already the hints sounded too much like her, and then she would have no alibi. Only a humiliating and depressing outcome she would have no choice but to face.

Her stomach churned anxiously as she waited for a response for what seemed like an eternity.

“Well, Dash...I think she's got something to say to that. Or rather, something to show you,” Comet finally said, smirking.

Before Rainbow Dash could answer, that was when Comet's lips met her own. Wings popping open, she kissed her back, butterflies flitting about in her stomach.


Fluttershy carefully made her way along the grassy path to make it back to their spot, having to sometimes fly over the crowds in order to do so. The fireworks were starting any moment, it was no wonder the park was more packed than earlier. If she didn't hurry, she wouldn't make it back in time! But she had to be careful not to jostle the bottles of soda in her saddlebags.

Finally, the hill came into view, reassuring her yet again that she had indeed gone in the right direction. She flew down to the ground and began to trot gently along, ascending toward the spot.

Until the sight she saw before her made her stop dead in her tracks.

Rainbow Dash and Blazing Comet were sitting close, facing each other. Eyes closed, muzzles connected... They were kissing. Kissing. Kissing on the mouth. Like lovers.

The fireworks show started. A multicoloured set flew off into the sky, exploding in an array of bright colours with an audible explosion. Fluttershy barely even noticed. All she could see were the two mares locked in a kiss. All she could feel was her heart sinking. All she could think about were her plans and dreams shattering like broken glass. All she could smell was the saltiness of her own tears.

Then...nothing.

Fluttershy stared, wide-eyed, her mouth slack. Tears flowed down her face, and she couldn't bare to even be there any longer. Not even to see the fireworks.

Slipping off her saddlebag, leaving it on the ground for them to find, Fluttershy turned and flew off to get home. She couldn't bear to witness this any longer.

'I was too late...Rarity was right...I didn't think it would happen...but I was TOO LATE!'