• Published 19th Jun 2012
  • 5,300 Views, 552 Comments

Perfect On Paper - NintendoGal55



Rainbow Dash realizes the perfect pony for her is actually Fluttershy

  • ...
10
 552
 5,300

The First Step

Walking alone around Ponyville, not even thinking about flying, Rainbow Dash was lost in her thoughts. She had just loudly admitted to Rarity and Twilight about her feelings for Fluttershy. Something she now could no longer run away from. It brought on many new nervous feelings and uncertainties she wasn't sure she could face. But she knew she had to, because there was still hope to be found.

'It's not that I'm not happy about it. I'm really happy! I can't believe I can make Fluttershy happy, and even give us being together a chance. But I just can't do that, not like this. And I don't even know how! I have to break up with Comet...but I don't know if I can! She gave me time to think about this, and now I know how I feel. But what about her? She loves me, right? I can't hurt her like this. She's been so good to me! But I can't lie to her either!

Before she knew where she was going, she was now in front of Sugarcube Corner. Her original intent had indeed been to go get cupcakes. Now that she was here, she figured to get that out of the way. At least a tasty treat or two would help a little. She just needed to think, to hopefully sort this whole thing out. Somehow.

Entering the bakery, seeing it was empty, much to her relief, she began to relax. But of course, she knew her good friend Pinkie Pie all too well.

“Three...two....o-”

“Hiiiiiiiiiii Dashie!!!” Pinkie Pie greeted, coming seemingly out of nowhere, grinning widely. “Good morning, silly filly! What brings you here? Oh, wait! Don't tell me! You're in need for a tasty treat! Well it happens that I just made some cupcakes! Want some?”

“Yeah, sure, Pinks,” Rainbow nodded. “I'll have two.”

“Okey-dokey-lokie! I'll be right back!” Pinkie saluted her friend before she disappeared into the kitchen.

Trotting over to the tables, Rainbow sat herself down at one of them. Of course she knew that it would take more than eating a couple of cupcakes to figure out a solution to everything going on, but she had to do something to fill her tummy and maybe try to concentrate a little. Why it had to be so hard, she didn't know. It was just the way it all came to be.

She sighed, leaning her head against one of her hooves as she propped her foreleg on the table. Certain as she was about some aspects of it all, it only served to bring uncertainty as well. Uncertain about how or when to tell Fluttershy, how to break this Comet, everything.

'Did Comet actually know I love Fluttershy? Was that why she wanted me to take some time to think about it? Did she somehow manage to figure it out? It has to be SOMETHING like that, right? No wonder she gave me time to think. But will this work? I don't know...I feel like I need more time.'

“Here you go, Dashie!” Pinkie came back, setting a plate of two yellow cupcakes with pink frosting on them. “Banana cupcakes with strawberry icing! Fresh from the oven, and just mm-mm-mm good!”

“Thanks, Pinkie,” Rainbow smiled a bit, taking one.

“Awww...so why are you sad?” Pinkie now sat down on the chair across from her. “You looked all saddy-waddy since you got here! Come on! Smile! Smile for your Auntie Pinkie!”

“Pinkie, I'm six months older than you,” Rainbow deadpanned.

“What's going on, Rainbow Dash?” Pinkie asked her, ignoring her remark. For once, she actually looked serious, and a little bit concerned.

Rainbow was about to tell her it was nothing, but then it just kind of dawned on her. Pinkie was actually the only one of their friends who didn't know what was going on. At least, not that she knew of. She had never quite told her about it, she realized. In some cases, Pinkie oftentimes had startlingly good advice. Maybe it was time to open up to her about it.

“...Love trouble,” Rainbow admitted.

“Ooooh! Isn't that the best kind of trouble?” Pinkie grinned.

“No,” Rainbow sighed. “You know I was dating Comet, right?”

“Of course, silly! Everypony in town knows that!”

“...Great. Well, things have changed. I realized recently that now I'm in love with Fluttershy.”

“FINALLY! I know she finally told you, I could just tell, so now you finally know! Awesome!” The pink Earth pony giggled happily. “I knew this would happen! You two are sooooooooo perfect for each other!”

“Even the medical books say so,” Rainbow muttered, finishing one of her cupcakes. “But I'm still with Comet. She gave me time to think about it. I know you might think I should break up with her and get together with Fluttershy. But it's not that easy! I just don't think it works like that!”

“Hmmm...” Pinkie thought for a moment. “No wonder! You and Comet might seem perfect on paper, but really, you're not!”

“Duh. I know that.”

Once more, Pinkie grinned widely. “Hee hee! Of course, silly! But that's ultimately what you need to do!”

“I know, I know! I just...I need more time! I need to figure this out! But I don't know how HOW!”

“...You know, Dashie, I think I have an idea!”

Staring at her, Rainbow exhaled and looked at her seriously. “It better be good, Pinks. I can't deal with games right now.”

“Well, duh! If I wanted to play games, I think I'd do that! But nope! Listen up, Dashie! Back when I wanted to leave my family's farm, I wasn't sure what I wanted to do or where I wanted to go. I had no direction,” once more, Pinkie's expression became serious. “After all, the farm is REALLY far from Ponyville, it's far from any place except the town it was close to. So, I left, and I just went out on the open road, with all my things, all by myself. I walked. I walked. I walked and walked for days. It got me thinking, it got me going, and I just kept on going to find the place that would soon be my new home!

Then, I arrived in Ponyville! The town was cute, so charming, I liked it! I realized this was where I wanted to be! So when I found an ad in the newspaper about the Cakes needing a live-in baking assistant, I went in for an interview! Now here I am! Making everyopony smile with my baked goods and parties!”

“...Pinks, what does that have to do with helping me?” Rainbow groaned, her head falling onto the table.

Pinkie giggled. “Silly, I was getting to that! What helped get me to where I am today was that I took a long walk! I walked around, traveled a bit and eventually found my true calling! Walking helps you think better, and not only did it do that, but it helped me find the place I always wanted to be in! And here I am!”

Blinking, Rainbow rose her head back up. What Pinkie said made sense, strangely made sense in her own little way. A long walk. Just walking around, letting your mind wander and focus, a great way to think. Maybe she could do the same with flying. A bit of both? Walking and flying? She began to consider it.

“...You know, I think you're on to something, Pinks.”

“Yay!” Giggled the baker pony as she smiled with delight. “So Dashie, maybe you should take a good long walk!”

“...You're right. It'll give me time away from everything, I'll be on my own with my thoughts and ideas, I won't be quickly jumping from Comet to Fluttershy like a flea, it'll give me all the time I need!” Rainbow realized, and grinned. “Thanks, Pinkie! I'll do it! I think it's just what I need!”

“Don't thank me, thank everypony!” Pinkie hugged her friend happily. “I hope it works for you, Dashie!”

“...Belive me, Pinkie...I hope it does, too. ...Say, I'm wondering. Did you know about how Fluttershy-”

“Felt about you?” Pinkie cut her off, giggling. “Of course I did, silly! I knew all along! Now, don't forget to tell me when you're leaving so I can throw you a going away party!”

'Great. Even PINKIE knew. How come I'm always the last to know?!'


Awkward.

Very. Very. VERY awkward.

This was all that could describe the situation.

Rainbow Dash stared nervously at Blazing Comet, who sat across from her on the expanse of cloud they were perched on high in the sky. It was time to finally explain things and just talk about what was going to happen now. She knew what she had to do, but it did still feel terrible to have to break somepony's heart all over again. But she knew that she couldn't lie to her or to herself. Not anymore. It was the best for everypony involved.

Comet had returned from Canterlot the day before, then sent a letter to her that said to meet her in this spot so they could talk. Despite that the letter didn't contain reached conclusions, she could tell from the overall feel of it that she might have expected things to end the way that they would.

But telling her and actually going through with it was going to be the hard part.

“So, Dash, I just want you to be honest with me,” Comet said, her voice soft. “That's really all I ask. I can handle the truth.”

Despite the encouragement, Rainbow still gulped with anxiety and stared down at the cloud for a moment. All of a sudden she was starting to feel like Fluttershy, and wasn't sure if that was a good thing or not. “I....Well, Comet, I... It's not that I don't like you. Because I do! I think you're awesome, you're a great friend, I like your sister and your aunt, I really like you!”

“But?” Comet prompted her.

Looking up, Rainbow felt tears come to her eyes, but she held them back. She had to be strong, tell the truth, and do this right. “I'm not...in love...w-with you.”

The orange Pegasus was silent for a few moments. Rainbow felt like a louse as she could see the hurt and sadness in her eyes, while her smile was remaining, not quite reaching her eyes. She almost wanted to take it back, to make her smile once more, but knew that it would never work like that. If she had any respect for her as a pony, she would tell her the truth. Just as she'd done with Fluttershy, and that breakdown response was far worse than this. No. She had to hold her ground and tell the truth, regardless of the consequences.

“...I was beginning to suspect that,” Comet admitted, looking at her again. “I just wanted to be sure. That night we were in Manehattan, I could see it clearly.”

“Comet, I'm really sorry,” Rainbow admitted shamefully. “I was stubborn! I was trying to firmly believe we were perfect for each other! But we're not! You're an awesome pony and you deserve the best...you're just not the mare for me.”

“Dash, cool it, it's okay,” Comet said sternly, but kindly. “I'm not mad at you. I'm not about to get revenge or pull some kind of sabotage on your life because of this. We're both adults and I think we can handle this maturely. Now, I have a bit of a confession of my own to make. ...I'm not...exactly in love with you, either.”

Rainbow's eyes went wide with surprise. It was something of a relief to hear, knowing that there wasn't going to be any unrequited love between them, but it was still very surprising. “...You're...you're not?”

“No. I've come to see I'm not, either. But Dash, you're a great pony, too. And I think you're one of my best friends, I mean it. I just...yeah, I can see we're just not right together. It might seem perfect on paper, right? But if you think about it, if you're too similar to somepony, it just doesn't work. The same goes if you're WAY too different from somepony else. ...There has to be a balance, you know? And with us, there's no balance,” Comet said, shaking her head. “Part of why I dropped the marriage thingy was kind of a way to see where we stood. I was trying hard to hold on to us, too...but I see it was pointless. I'm sorry...I ever wasted the past six months of your life, Dash.”

“...Well...I'm not,” Rainbow smiled. “I enjoyed it, all the good stuff, really. And it kinda helped me learn a few things! About friendship and in love! So, I don't regret it.”

Comet smiled, nodding. “Yeah. I don't regret it, either. I never did. So...in other words, we should break up. This isn't going to work.”

“Agreed,” Rainbow said with a sigh of relief. “But um, we can still be friends, right?”

“Of course we can! I'd love that.”

“Me too! So, friends?”

“Friends.”

They spat on their own hooves before slapping them together in a friendly hoof-bump, and then hugged each other warmly.

“Dash, can I ask you a personal question?” Comet said as they parted.

“Sure! Fire away,” Rainbow sat back, curious.

“It's something that's been egging me on, but I just want to know the truth, if you're willing to share,” Comet began, biting her lip. She then looked her in the eye. “...Dash, are you in love with Fluttershy?”

Cerise eyes widened before the cyan mare looked down at the cloud again, her cheeks bright pink. After a few moments, she nodded. “...Yes. I'm in love with her.”

A few moments of silence passed before Comet chuckled. “I knew it. You remember, I said months ago, when I assumed you guys were dating? No wonder. I think, well, I tried not to, but I knew it. You two would be great together.”

“...That's what everypony says,” Rainbow admitted, still blushing as she looked up. “You also said something about all the chemistry we had.”

“I know, and it just got more intense over the past few months,” Comet said, shaking her head. “The reason I ask, Dash...is also because...”

“You're still in love with Moon Dancer!” Rainbow finished for her, grinning.

Comet blinked, then laughed. “I guess it was that obvious, wasn't it? Well, hoof to Celestia. We managed to catch up and reconnect while I was in Canterlot. Remember, she said she and her cousins were going there too? So we spent some time together, and I kind of...well, realized I was still in love with her. I took some time to think while I was gone also, you know? I realized some things, and I...well, came here to break up with you, too. I just couldn't lie to you or to myself.”

“Neither could I,” Rainbow sighed, looking sympathetic. “So...you think you have a chance with her?”

“...Well, I hope so. I know she's single right now, which is a start. But I don't know. I'm going to need some time before I try another relationship, if it would even work. But for now, I think that all that we need to do is end ours so that we can go on with our lives and...see where it takes us, I guess,” Comet shrugged. “What you going to do, Dash?”

“Me? Well, I'm gonna take a long walk. Or flight. I'm just going to go where the wind takes me!” Rainbow spread her forelegs for emphasis. “Because if I suddenly jump to Fluttershy, it'll be as if our time together meant nothing to me! Plus we think better when we walk. So that's what I'll do! I'll be alone with my thoughts, away from everything, and be able to make some better decisions about what I really want!”

“Ah, I see,” Comet smiled. “Well, good luck with that, Dash. I hope you find what you're looking for.”

Feeling herself smile too, the cyan Pegasus looked out to the horizon for a moment. “Me too, Comet. I hope we both do.”


A couple of days later, it was then that Rainbow Dash announced that she was leaving. Pinkie Pie of course made sure to throw her a big, happening going away party at Sugarcube Corner. It was mostly a close-knit party between their friends, but a few Pegasi did show up to see off their head Weather Patrol pony. Most especially Derpy, who made her a couple of going away muffins for her to take on the road. Even Comet showed up to see her off, wishing her luck on her journey. Thankfully, it wasn't awkward to be around each other. Even if it shocked everypony to hear that they broke up.

Fluttershy showed up as well, having only heard the news right now about the breakup and that Rainbow Dash was leaving on a journey. She already felt scared, nervous, and wondered if she would come back. Given that Rainbow didn't express any further, she felt a tinge of worry. Did she really lose her chance...even when she nearly gained one? But that didn't matter. What she wanted more than anything was for Rainbow to find happiness, whatever it may have been. Even if she had to leave forever.

The party went along beautifully, with all kinds of cakes and baked goods to enjoy, everypony laughing jovially and having a great time. Rainbow Dash was full of smiles and laughter, feeling glad to celebrate this new chapter in her life with her friends. As well as that, there were no hard feelings between her and Comet, which was immensely relieving. No breakup was easy, to be sure, but at least it went as smooth as it possibly could as far as breakups went.

Now came the time to say goodbye. The party slowed down, just about everypony left, except for her closest friends. It was now time to say goodbye to them...for now.

“Goodbye, Rainbow Dash!” Twilight said with a smile, hugging her. “I think this time away is going to do you some good. I've read a lot of studies in which-”

“Save it, Twi,” Rainbow chuckled, hugging her back. “I'll be fine.”

“I know, just be careful out there,” Twilight giggled.

Applejack was next. Normally they weren't one to hug each other, if at all, but for once, they made an exception and embraced, patting each other's backs.

“Ah'm gonna miss havin' somepony ta compete with!” Applejack said with a chuckle. “But y'all better come back feelin' like a new pony. We're gonna have a race when ya do!”

Rainbow laughed heartily, squeezing her friend before letting her go. “I'll hold you to it, AJ! You stay awesome and keep Sweet Apple Acres running! ...And have an apple pie ready for me when I get back.”

“Ah've got it in the oven already!” Applejack quipped.

They both spat into their hooves and then slapped them against each other's for yet another traditional hoof bump.

Rarity was next, to which the said Unicorn took her handkerchief and wiped off Rainbow's hoof before hugging her.

“You be sure to dress warmly, now! And do make sure to clean up when you return, I shan't have you tracking mud everywhere!” Rarity chided, but had tears in her eyes.

“Yes, Mommy,” Rainbow playfuly rolled her eyes. “I'll sure miss you and your snootiness, Rare!”

Rarity stuck her tongue out playfully, making the cyan Pegasus laugh. “Well, I never! You had better watch your tongue, little missy,” but she was smiling.

Rainbow laughed and blew a raspberry right back.

Next was Pinkie, who of course tackle hugged her.

“Have a good journey, Dashie! I know it should do wonders for you, like it did for me! Just be careful, eat lots of awesome food, go round and around, and remember to stay GREAT!” Pinkie grinned, hugging her tight. “I'm gonna miss you, Dashie! Now I'll be all by my lonesome! But don't worry about Tank, he'll be just fine with us! Gummy likes him, so they're friends! You just go out there and then come right back! We'll all be waiting for you!! Ooooh! And I'll have a Welcome Back party planned just for you! Oooh! Forget I said that! It's supposed to be a surprise! Go out into the world, little Dash!”

“P-Pinkie! Can't breathe!!” Rainbow gasped, struggling.

“Oh! Sorry!” Pinkie released her, sitting on her rump and then picking her friend back up. “I'll miss you! I'll have to perform pranks all by myself!”

“We'll do a nice big one when I get back, Pinks!” Rainbow hugged her. “And thanks...you know, for this idea. I think it's just what I needed.”

“You're welcome, Dashie! Anytime! Good luck!” Pinkie squeezed her again before letting her go. When she did, tears pooled in her eyes. “...Come back soon...”

“Will do, Pinkie!” Rainbow winked at her.

Finally, but far from least, was Fluttershy. The one she was going to miss the most. The one she loved. She knew this was not going to be an easy goodbye.

Rarity then whispered to the others, ushering them to leave the room to give them some privacy. The rest of their friends all giggled, smiling behind their hooves, and then all followed Pinkie upstairs.

“...No, this isn't right,” Rainbow finally said, blushing a bit. “Um, Fluttershy, could we maybe go someplace else? I think I know where we can go. Do you mind?”

Fluttershy shook her head. “No...it's all right. Let's go.”


Rainbow led Fluttershy along the skies, flying slowly in doing so. She may have been purposely stalling, but it was all she could to do to delay the inevitable. That would make it all the more harder, but she wanted to spend every last second of her time here with her best friend. Just until they would see each other again, which she hoped would be long enough, but not too long.

Even though she hadn't even left yet, already she could feel the dread of being away from her. Right when their friendship was better than it ever had been. The past couple of years had been proving that.

Finally, they reached the riverside, where they had gone to some days earlier after Sky Blue's funeral, where ashes had been released. A perfect place for this. Utmost privacy, a beautiful landscape all around, and the shining sun in the sky. Perfect to bring Fluttershy into her element, perfect for privacy, and perfect for relaxation. The river flowed along, separating the landscape around them, the trees stood tall and majestic, with the wind rushing along, the leaves whispering. Open grassland, fields of wildflowers, shrubbery, and the rolling hills within the horizon. It was all they needed now.

Rainbow sat in front of Fluttershy, just taking a few moments to look at her for what she knew would be the last time for a while. Nothing short of sweet, graceful, adorable, and warming beauty that couldn't compare. Her heart pounded as she looked into her gentle aquamarine eyes, the way her blossom-pink mane fell along her face and seemed to frame it in the shape of a heart. And her smile. Oh, her smile melted her heart!

“Fluttershy...” Rainbow managed, blushing a bit and rubbing the back of her neck a bit, nervous. “Well, I guess you're wondering why I brought you out here, right?”

“Well...yes....but I suppose you wanted to say goodbye to me in private?” Fluttershy guessed.

“...Yeah, pretty much...this isn't gonna be easy!” Now the cyan Pegasus looked down a bit shyly. “But I wanted to do this right. You pretty much know why I'm going on this journey, right?”

Fluttershy nodded. “Yes, I do...”

“Well, there's more to it than that,” admitted Rainbow Dash as she looked to her best friend in the eye. “I realized a lot in the past six months and I learned a ton of things. It was a learning experience I didn't expect, but it was worth it. Even if it did come at one price I didn't like. Your sadness.”

“Rainbow, I said I-”

“Just let me finish...I know I'm gonna say something before I'm ready to if you keep going,” Rainbow cut her off. She took another breath. “All this time I was with Comet, I realized that she and I are not perfect for each other. We may be alike, sure, but being too alike or too different...it seems like you're dating yourself or a stranger. I felt like I was dating myself. Well, albeit a bit of a different kind of me, but still me. Comet's great, and I think of her as a good friend, but I'm just not in love with her. I think I somehow knew that before, but I was trying hard to hang on to it! To convince myself I did! You know me, stubborn as a bull! Um...anyway, so we broke up. While she was gone, I was doing some thinking, like she told me to do, and she was doing the same. We realized we had to break up, because we don't love each other, and we need to get back on our hooves and do what we can to realize what we really want. That's pretty much why I'm going on this journey, but you already know all that.

But that's not all, either. I realized something that I think is awesome. But I can't go through with it yet, not until I know for sure it's what I want and that enough time passed. Before I do go, though, I just want you to know the entire truth. That's why I brought you here, because I want to tell you all of it. Alone with nopony to interrupt. Because I need this. I need this peace of mind, and I need you to know the truth.”

Rainbow took a few deep breaths, looking all around her nervously, and sometimes to Fluttershy. The timid mare was looking at her with curiosity, worry, and even something of a smile. She was waiting patiently, though expectantly, as she simply sat there. This was proving to be a bit tricky, but she knew she had to do it, because she was going to regret not telling her. Especially if something happened while she was gone. And considering Flutterhsy's own experience with waiting too long, she was not going to let it happen.

After all, she didn't want Fluttershy to feel sad and lonely while she was gone. She wanted her to feel happy, if this did still make her happy. To go off on a good note, a hopeful note that she didn't have the uncertainty lingering within.

It was time to come out and say it. Just to look her in the eye and say it.

“Fluttershy, I love you!”

Time all around them seemed to stop. Fluttershy's eyes went wide, a blush coated her cheeks, and she looked surprised, yet, happy. Was this good? Did it mean she still loved her, too?

“Really...? You do? You really do?” Fluttershy asked with hope, her eyes brimming with tears.

Placing her hooves on her shoulders, Rainbow nodded, squeezing her eyes shut for a moment as she looked down. “Yes! I do! I love you so much, Fluttershy! I think I've been in love with you all along. I realized it the night I held you in my forelegs! Ever since then...no, even before then, all I could think about was you! You're my best friend, you're my rock, my inspiration, all of that. I always had this feeling around you, but I thought it was just some kind of special friendship! But it wasn't! You're also my perfect MHC mismatch! ...Don't ask me what that means, it's some kind of medical genetic...thingy...but it proves it! You always smell so nice, even when you don't wear perfume, and it's something I always liked! Comet, sure, smells okay, but you always smelt better! That's...uh, part of it, I guess!

But I just wanted to tell you that, Fluttershy! Before I left, I wanted you to know I love you! Now you see why I'm going on this walk. And...well, even if you don't love me anymore, I understand. But I wanted to tell you how I felt before I left. That's all there is to it. ...I love you, Fluttershy.”

Already afraid of rejection, Rainbow lowered her head and looked down at the ground, squeezing her eyes shut again after pulling away from her. A few moments of silence passed, which felt like something of an eternity. Even the sounds all around her were the river, the whisper of the leaves blowing in the wind through the trees, and the occasional distant bird call. Did Fluttershy leave? She hadn't heard the flapping of wings or retreating hoofsteps, but then again, Fluttershy WAS a very quiet pony, so it wouldn't surprise her.

But then, she felt a hoof on her shoulder. When she looked up, she saw Fluttershy crying. It scared her for half a second, but then she realized it wasn't out of sadness or anger. Fluttershy was smiling, looking absolutely enraptured, as tears of joy were flowing down her cheeks.

“Of course I love you, Rainbow Dash...” Fluttershy said softly, her voice cracking. “I never stopped loving you. Now I understand everything and why you're doing this...and I think it's wonderful that you're doing it. And I...Rainbow, oh, I'm so happy...! Oh, Rainbow...I love you!”

Lips stretching into a smile, Rainbow grabbed her best friend into an embrace and flew around with her, cheering happily at the top of her lungs. “And I love you, Fluttershy!”

This lasted for a few minutes, the two lovestruck Pegasi flying about as they held each other, laughing with immense delight. Without a care in the world. It was their moment, their wondrous moment in the sun as they rejoiced. They loved each other, and could not have been happier.

Finally, Rainbow Dash settled them down onto the ground, releasing her. She grinned widely, unable to keep her happiness down.

“Man, this is awesome! I'm so happy too, Fluttershy!! I can't believe it! Now I can't wait to come back! ....I mean, uh, if you'll have me by then...”

Fluttershy nodded, nuzzling her gently. “I'll wait for you, Rainbow. If you'll have me too....I'd be happy to be your marefriend.”

Smiling more, blushing, Rainbow nuzzled her back. “Me too, Fluttershy! I know I'll have you, I'm pretty sure of it. I don't know when I'll be back, but I'll be back! I promise you. I'm the Element of Loyalty, after all! Nothing's going to keep me from coming back!”

“I believe you,” Fluttershy said softly. “And I'll miss you...but I'll wait. No matter what. I'm going to wait.”

“Well, if that's what you want...” Rainbow chuckled a bit. “Um...well...I guess...this is...well, goodbye for now, isn't it?”

“...I suppose it is...” Fluttershy looked a little sad, but still happy.

Without another word, they embraced each other tightly. Neither said a word, they just let the beautiful sounds of nature surround them. All the smells, of each other, and of the atmosphere. They could not have asked for a greater moment than this. A moment of relishing in their love for each other, their presences, their embrace, and their farewells...but just for now. With the promises of coming back to each other feeling like strong, new ponies.

Rainbow inhaled Fluttershy's wonderful scent, and knew, that in her embrace, this was where she belonged. It was where she wanted to be. With her best friend right here with her in her forelegs. She couldn't have asked for anything better. It was a perfect sendoff, more than she could have ever asked for.

Holding her tight, Rainbow leaned up to her ear, gently whispering, “I love you, Fluttershy.”

A sniffle was heard from Fluttershy as she squeezed her tighter as well. “I love you too, Rainbow Dash.”

They parted, looking into each other's eyes with warm, yet sad smiles. It really was goodbye for a while. Neither knew how long they would see each other again. This was indeed their last moment together before who knew how long.

Rainbow now wanted to kiss her. By now, it was a burning desire that ate at her heart and body, refusing to let up. Not just a little peck, but a real kiss. Was it a good idea? Was it appropriate? Oh, she wasn't sure. But she was seriously tempted. Then there came the fear of the consequences. What if kissing her made it harder to leave? What if it would lead to too much? What if it wasn't a good idea at all?

But then, she realized if she didn't, she was going to regret it. Regret was not something she wanted on her mind when she was on this journey.

Rainbow Dash leaned in, slowly, giving Fluttershy time to react. Though she hesitated, the creamy yellow Pegasus leaned in as well, her lips puckering slightly as her eyelids lowered.

That was all she needed.

Leaning in the rest of the way, Rainbow captured Fluttershy's lips in her own.

'Oh sweet Celestia...'

While it was slightly awkward, being their first real kiss and all, it felt wonderful. All Rainbow could feel, smell, and hear, was her. Fluttershy's lips tasted sweet, like cake and muffins, obviously from the sweets they'd had earlier. They were soft, just as she imagined they would be. And they meshed perfectly with hers, in a way she hadn't thought possible. Kissing Comet had always been nice, as far as the joining of two pairs of lips went. But kissing Fluttershy was incredible. As if it were charging up every one of her nerves. Most especially, Fluttershy kissed so gently and sweetly, but with a tint of passion.

Melting from the sweet kiss, Rainbow brought her forelegs around Fluttershy's soft form, holding her close. In response, the timid pony's forelegs came around her neck, gently running her hooves through her mane.

The kiss lasted for some time, neither knew how long, but it felt like an eternity too soon when they parted.

“...Oh...wow....” Fluttershy looked absolutely enraptured.

Chuckling, Rainbow smirked a bit in a playful manner. “A good kiss, pal?”

“...Oh Rainbow...” Fluttershy moaned dreamily, looking at her with a dazed, lovesick grin.

“Aw, Fluttershy, you're so cute!” Rainbow gave her a little squeeze. “There'll be more where that came from when I get back. Until then...well, I hope this'll hold us over.”

Giggling, Fluttershy snuggled her for a moment, then pulled back. “I think it will... Oh...I...I'll miss you more, now...but...good luck, Rainbow. I hope you find what you're looking for...and that you'll come home safely.”

“I will, Fluttershy,” Rainbow promised, kissing her nose. “You know, this really isn't goodbye, is it? It's just until I come back.”

“...I suppose you're right,” Fluttershy smiled. “Well...how about goodnight, then?”

“...Yeah, good idea,” Rainbow nodded, hugging her once more.

“Goodnight, Rainbow Dash.”

“Goodnight, Fluttershy.”

When the two parted ways, and Rainbow flew off, it was indeed the last time they would see each for a little while.