• Published 19th Jun 2012
  • 5,277 Views, 552 Comments

Perfect On Paper - NintendoGal55



Rainbow Dash realizes the perfect pony for her is actually Fluttershy

  • ...
10
 552
 5,277

Knowing

They were alone together in the clouds in the dark of the night. Luna's moon had since risen, bathing the landscape all around in its mysterious, luminous glow. A celebration was being had, as fireworks launched into the air and exploded into an array of beautiful colours a plenty.

Fluttershy was near her, singing a little song with her light, sweet, airy voice as it filled her ears.

Resistance. Rainbow Dash felt resistance, for reasons she knew, and yet, so much of her was trying to give in. To just give in to her love. So much of her wanted to, she wanted to love Fluttershy. She wanted to be with her. There was no downside, she could not deny it. Something she didn't even realize was holding her back.

Everything was changing when Fluttershy faced her, then, in a louder and clearer voice, despite it still being her own, sang to her.

But where was the music coming from? Some kind of an unseen source.

“We should be lovers!”

Stepping back a bit, cheeks flushed, Rainbow Dash was about to answer her in plain words, talking, even. But as she did, for whatever reason, her own words came out in song as well.

“We can't do that...”

But Fluttershy persisted, though sweetly and not forcefully, as she flew closer to her on the clouds, landing near her.

“We should be lovers...and that's a fact.”

Turning back to her, Rainbow felt her heart swell, though she still held back...but was slowly losing the fight.

“Though nothing will keep us together...”

“We could steal time, just for one day...” Fluttershy sang back, trotting over to her until they were face to face, very close together.

In that moment, as if their souls were joining in one, they sang together in such beautiful, perfect harmony. Much like once before with their sweet song about finding her a pet...only this was held a lot more than ever.

Rainbow even found herself smiling a bit as they sang together...slowly she was surrendering.

“We could be heroes
Forever and ever
We could be heroes
Forever and ever
We could be heroes...”

It was then that Fluttershy moved closer to her, step by step. Her eyes were full of adoration, and her voice rang out like a bell, clear and beautiful, as she sang in love for her. Stronger than she'd ever sang before. Fireworks exploded in the sky from behind her, framing her form in a beautiful explosion of colours and darkness combined, adding to her beauty.

“Just because I...will always love you...” Fluttershy sang out with strong, sweet passion, the lyrical beauty of her voice floating to her ears.

“I...” Rainbow found herself singing back to her, by now surrendering to her completely, though still hesitating.

“Cannot help loving...” They sang together once more, again in wondrous harmony.

“You...” Fluttershy sang sweetly, nuzzling their noses.

“How wonderful life is...” Rainbow began, no longer holding back. She loved Fluttershy, she wanted to be with her. Nothing was going to stop her now.

“Now that you're in...the world...” The two Pegasi were leaning close to each other, lips only a few centimetres apart by this point.

“You're going to be the end of me, Fluttershy...I can tell...”

No more words were spoken as the two shared a kiss, bringing each other closer in a loving embrace. The fireworks all around them exploded in the sky, harmonious music filled the air, singing could be heard from down below as all kinds of ponies sang in celebration.

Everything felt wonderful...

A snort and then a yawn escaped Rainbow Dash as she found herself awake, staring up at the sky above her. It had occurred to her then she had been napping on a cloud after finishing her weather duties, no wonder. She had even fallen asleep completely, enough to actually dream. It was now the third dream she'd had about Fluttershy. Thankfully, they didn't occur every time she went to sleep, but the third one in the course of less than a week?

Rainbow Dash was beginning to wonder what these all could have meant. While they were far from unpleasant by principle, she couldn't help but feel very uncomfortable about having very sweet, romantic dreams about her best friend. Especially since she was (about to be) dating somepony else. Was her mind, or her heart, trying to tell her something? But the more she thought of it, she figured all the more it was the guilt and the fact that Fluttershy's confession of love for her had managed to all but make an impact on her.

She made a note to herself to see Twilight about it soon. Maybe after her date with Blazing Comet.

“Speaking of which...” Rainbow grinned to herself. “Today's the day! Guess I'd better get going!”

Flying off to her cloud home, the daredevil figured that tonight's date with the REAL mare of her dreams would surely put her mind off all of this. It was time to enjoy herself, have fun, and go on a date with the one she truly belonged with. That much was for sure. If anypony was perfect for her, it had to be Comet. Bread and butter. Or rather, dynamite attached to a lit fuse.


“All right, darling, now hold still! I need to make sure it's just right! Of course, I made sure that I wouldn't have to make any drastic alterations to it. All right, that's it! There you go! Wonderful!”

Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes, but obediently stood as still as she could while Rarity was adjusting and re-adjusting her dress. She looked in the mirror at herself, pretty pleased with the result. Rarity had managed to create a dress that managed to combine elegant classiness and her own personal style all at once.

The dress was dark blue with long sleeves down her forelegs, with the bust consisting of a long neckline patterned with a rainbow strip, lined jeweled beads of a crystal form. The skirt, as Rarity put it, rode high on her flank but didn't make her look like a tank. It had pleats for flair, and the them was lined in gold silk pleats. Along the middle, it split in order to give her hind legs some walking room, but would not matter in the long run if she flew. The material was soft, much like cotton, breathable, and aerodynamic.

On her hooves were stylish golden shoes, her mane was washed and neatly tied back with a gold phoenix-shaped hair clip, while her bangs were smoothed out and out of her face. Rarity even applied a light amount of makeup, to which Rainbow had initially refused. But looking at her reflection now, she didn't mind it at all.

“You look beautiful, Rainbow Dash!” Rarity said sincerely, smiling widely. “Turn around, please.”

Rainbow did so, turning in a circle to give Rarity a full look of the dress on her body in all directions.

“Perfect! I think we're just about done here,” Rarity placed all of her items down on the nearby table with her magic. “You can get down.”

“Finally!” Rainbow hopped off the modeling platform. “There isn't a thing wrong with anything, you don't have to worry.”

“Hush, I most certainly do! You are my friend, this is your first date, and I want you to look your best! You ARE going to a restaurant in Canterlot, after all. They oftentimes have dress codes if you choose to put on clothes, so you do have to dress appropriately!” Rarity gave her another once-over, nodding in satisfaction. “You should be good to go, darling!”

“Well...thanks, Rarity...I uh, appreciate it,” Rainbow smiled a bit sheepishly. “So, how much do you I owe you?”

“Ah ah ha! No charge!” Rarity waved it off dismissively. “It was a favour for a good friend!”

“What? But Rarity, I can pay you, I just-”

“Shush!” Rarity silenced her with her hoof. “I insist, dear. Please. Think of it as a gift.”

“...Okay, fine,” Rainbow conceded. “Tonight is going to be awesome! Nothing's going to ruin it for me now!”

The front door opened, to which Rarity went to attend to, while Rainbow looked at herself once more in the mirror. Stylish to her liking, but still elegant in some kind of “fancy” way. Not bad at all, she figured.

“Ah, Fluttershy! Whatever brings you here, darling?”

Rainbow jolted.

“Oh, I just wanted to bring you some cupcakes you ordered from Sugarcube Corner. I was over there earlier, and Pinkie asked me if I could bring them to you since she has to go with the Cakes for a big catering order they have this evening in Manehattan,” Fluttershy explained, stepping inside.

“I see!” Rarity levitated the box with her magic, bringing it inside. “Thank you, dear! You're very kind!”

“No problem, I wanted to-”

Fluttershy froze when she noticed Rainbow Dash in the room. Even though she was quite within plain sight, it was a wonder how she had not seen her clearly until this very moment. But when she did, she wasn't sure if she regretted it or not.

“Fluttershy! Hey!” Rainbow smiled brightly at her.

Fluttershy didn't respond. She only stared, wide-eyed.

Simply put, Rainbow looked stunning.

If she thought she looked beautiful in her gala dress, and then gorgeous in her bridesmaid dress for the Royal Wedding, both of those now paled in comparison to how she looked now. Her simple yet still elegant way of enhancing her style was amazing. The styling of her mane, the light amount of makeup on her face was nowhere near drastic enough to change her appearance, but was just enough to enhance her looks. If she had a flower behind one ear, it would've only made it more awesome. But the way she looked now, simply beautiful, was more than enough to stop Fluttershy in her tracks. As well as that, she was speechless. More so than usual, of course. If that was saying anything.

Her heart pounded, her muscles were weak, and she just about lost all ability to think clearly. Now she wished she had a photo, but no way could a photo capture the vision she was seeing at this moment.

'Oh Rainbow Dash...you're beautiful...so beautiful... How do you manage to somehow take my breath away? No words...they should have sent a poet... Oh, Rainbow...' Was all she could think.

For a split second, she wondered what could possibly have been up with the getup. The outfit was clearly made for her, so she wasn't modeling for the fun of it. If anything, she only ever modeled a dress if it was specifically for her. And when that happened, she needed one. But why did she need one? She had two elegant dresses (the rule of thumb was to always have at least one nice outfit in your closet), what did she need this one for? Something elegant but more simple? That made sense, but why would she need it on the spot? Was she going somewhere?

It dawned on Fluttershy.

It was Thursday.

This was for her date with Blazing Comet.

The luckiest mare in Equestria.

“...I'm sorry, but I have to go now. ...Have a good date, Rainbow Dash,” Fluttershy managed as sincerely as she could, despite that her eyes were completely betraying the smile that didn't reach them.

Not waiting for an answer, she left the shop in tears.

All at once, Rainbow's mood deflated. She hadn't even seen Fluttershy since the accidental meeting a few days ago, when she had approached Rarity about the dress. Now just one glimpse of her, barely exchanging a sentence or two with her, and she was gone? She could see how surprised Fluttershy looked, but then all of a sudden, she was sad. What had been going on?

“...She was stunned by how lovely you looked. I could tell,” Rarity said softly. “Considering how she feels, I can't say I'm surprised she reacted the way she did. And...well, you can probably tell why she left just now.”

“Because it's another big reminder she lost her chance,” Rainbow said gravely, still staring at the door.

“Well...I am sorry you feel this way, Rainbow Dash,” Rarity said sympathetically. “Even I myself had felt the same back then. But don't worry, you both just need some time. And tonight, you have a wonderful date! Surely that will help things.”

Sighing, Rainbow Dash just sat down on the floor. She barely even heard what Rarity was saying, and could only think about the way Fluttershy looked and how abruptly she left. Especially why she even did. Her heart sank, crumbling. Despite her goals, she still felt out of options of what she could possibly do to make her best friend smile again. Whatever it would be, she hoped it would work.

Fighting back tears, knowing it ruin the makeup, she instead sighed heavily.

“...If only there was someway it could help Fluttershy,” Rainbow murmured softly.

Looking to the designer unicorn, she caught her fried studying her with a thoughtful frown. Her lips were pursed, and she didn't seem to be quite looking at her. Was something on her mind?

“...What?” She prompted.

Rarity blinked, then shook her head as she adjusted her readers' glasses. “Nothing, dear. I was just thinking, that's all. Now, I think you're ready. You should head home, it is quarter to five. Have a good evening, Rainbow Dash,” she smiled a bit, then started to head upstairs.

Rainbow nodded, heading toward the door. “...Hey, um, Rarity?”

When the unicorn turned to look at her curiously, there was a couple moments of hesitation before Rainbow spoke up again.

“Sometimes I wish I could be that pony for her.”


Fluttershy felt pathetic.

Did this heartbreak really last a long time? It felt to be lasting an eternity for her. Would she never get over this? Would she be doomed to misery for the rest of her days?

Sniffles escaped Fluttershy as she walked along the streets of Ponyville. By now she had managed to stop crying, and nopony seemed to be staring at her. That was good. She felt relieved to know she could finally venture outside with nopony staring at her and wondering why she was so sad.

All she wanted to do was curl up in her bed, go to sleep, and try to dream of better days. For all she knew, this heartbreak was still going to last for some time. After all, it wasn't just some kind of a puppy crush. It wasn't as if she liked a filly across the classroom in flight school and it turned out they liked somepony else. A crush was easier to get over in the long run.

But love?

Fluttershy could see now, all the more, despite that she knew this would come, just how hard it was to move on from. Grateful as she felt for Rainbow not being dishonest or leading her on in order to spare her feelings, it did still sting her heart. But seeing her now was only reminding her of what she lost.

Rarity and Twilight never failed to assure her that she would be okay. That she would eventually start feeling more happy for Rainbow Dash instead of sorry for herself.

“Oh, hey there Fluttershy!”

Startled, the timid mare looked up with surprise and came to see the very pony she was immensely envious of. Blazing Comet stood a few feet ahead of her, wearing her mane down for a change, and dressed in a stylish gray suit jacket. No doubt for her date with Rainbow Dash this evening.

A part of Fluttershy was almost terrified of talking to her. What if she ended up saying something she would regret? It was ridiculous, she had no reason to hate her. Comet had been nice to her ever since they met, and she could tell that even if she knew about her feelings for Rainbow Dash, she wouldn't be smug about it. Would envy be all she ever felt toward Comet? She hoped not, the other mare deserved better than that.

Scolding herself for ever feeling such stupid things, Fluttershy managed to compose herself as best as she could.

“H-Hello...Blazing Comet...how are you this evening?”

“Pretty darn good!” Comet grinned, indicating to her saddlebags on her back. “How about you? ...Um, don't mind my saying, but you look a little upset. Are you okay?”

“Oh....no, I'm fine...” Fluttershy lied.

“Are you sure?”

“Yes.”

Comet looked skeptical, but she seemed to let up and sighed. “Okay, then.”

Nodding, Fluttershy was about to walk away, to simply just wish her a good evening and be on her way. This was exactly how it was planned in her head. She could feel it. She could already imagine herself saying what she would be saying. It would be pleasant, though brief, and the two mares would be on their way. Pleasant closure for the evening, nothing more. Fluttershy was determined to be a good pony about this. It was the least she could do. For Rainbow Dash. For herself. Even for Comet.

However, this was not what happened.

“...Blazing Comet...please...take care of Rainbow Dash...”

Comet, who had been about to walk away as well, stopped and looked at her with surprise. Fluttershy recoiled, looking away and hiding her face with her mane. Why had she said that?

“Fluttershy, what do you mean?”

As much as Fluttershy did want to simply dismiss it as nothing, or even lie (how could you lie about that?), she knew now that it was impossible. She had to say something, especially considering that Comet not only heard her, but was asking for clarification.

Nervous. Anxious. Terrified.

“I just...Comet, please, make her happy. That's all I've wanted for her. I want her happiness more than anything...and if you're the one to give that to her, please, take that wonderful...amazing gift and make her the happiest pony alive...” Fluttershy averted her gaze to the ground yet again, tears in her eyes. “You don't have to do it for me. Do it for her. ...Just please make her happy... Please...”

Moments of silence passed, but Fluttershy didn't dare look up. She was too scared to. She could not believe what her mouth was saying. Her heartbreak was really making her say things in her head that she didn't want to speak out loud. Unfortunately, the opposite happened. True as her words may have been, this was not how she wanted to say them. Not like this. Not in the middle of pathetic post-heartbreak periods. When her mind and heart weren't exactly holding her together.

Tears fell down her face, Fluttershy tried to fight them back but it was no use. It was overcoming her once again. Her love for Rainbow Dash, her broken heart, her sorrows, her fears, her hopes, her dreams, everything. Every mere thought would drive these visions, these feelings.

Feeling a hoof on her shoulder, she looked up to see Blazing Comet looking down at her with a serious, yet sympathetic look.

“Fluttershy...you're in love with her, aren't you?” It sounded to be more of a statement than a question.

Stricken, Fluttershy gulped and stared at her with wide, terrified eyes. Biting her lip, more tears runing down her face, the timid pony was unsure how to respond. She couldn't lie, but couldn't tell the truth. Nothing came out of her mouth, and looking at her was just scaring her then. Instead she looked down away from her, trembling.

“You can tell me the truth. I can handle it,” Comet's voice said kindly.

A sniffle escaped Fluttershy, and she managed to muster up the strength to respond. “...Yes. I am.”

Met with silence once again, it further terrified Fluttershy, especially since the hoof on her shoulder was lowered. What did this mean? Comet's words were kind and so were her eyes, but what if the confirmation angered her? Did she not trust that Fluttershy would never do anything to sabotage them? Would this leave her in fear? Her mind was full of various questions, scenarios, and theories she couldn't quite conclude, to say the least. With her heart pounding, her muscles contracting, and her stomach churning with anxiety, the timid Pegasus was unsure of what to do or even say.

“I knew it,” Comet said, and this caused Fluttershy to look up at her.

“...You...knew?” Fluttershy blinked.

Comet smiled and nodded. “You bet I did. I knew from the moment I met you. The way you look at her and act around her, it wasn't exactly all that subtle. As I saw you two together more and more, it just kind of clicked.”

“...Oh...Comet...I'm so sorry! I-I know how it must look, but I want you to know I would never try to ruin things for you two! ...You...you won her over fair and square, Comet.”

“Hey, come on now, she's not some prize.”

“That's not what I meant!!”

Wide-eyed, Comet stood back, looking sheepish. “Oh, sorry, Fluttershy. I didn't mean it the way it sounded. But the point is, I know what you're trying to say.”

“I promise you I won't make things hard...please don't feel guilty. I'll be fine. It is my own fault for taking too long...”

“Hey, cool it. It's okay. To be honest, I was suspecting it, and yet I wasn't completely sure, since it was never openly stated, either. Had I been sure...man, I'm sorry, Fluttershy. I never intended to steal her away from you,” Comet said, looking sympathetic and remorseful. “I would never do that.”

“...I understand...” Fluttershy managed, sniffling.

“That's why you're upset, you're heartbroken, aren't you?”

“...I don't want to talk about it. It's a long story. ...Rainbow knows.”

“I see,” Comet nodded. “Well Fluttershy, you are really sweet to want her happiness...even when your own is on the line. I think Dash is very lucky to have a good friend like you.”

Fluttershy sniffled, mumbling a soft thank-you.

“And I mean that, too. I know most ponies who would actually...well, try to sabotage or threaten either party when somepony they liked was taken from them. You're being the bigger pony in this, and I really respect that of you,” Comet admitted, sounding very sincere. “Anyway, I also wanted to tell you again that I will do my best to make her happy. Dash deserves it. And...well, even though I don't plan on hurting her, you have my permission to kick my flank if I ever do.”

“Oh...but I don't...I wouldn't...”

Comet chuckled. “The offer still stands. ...You going to be all right? Again, I'm really sorry...I hope you know that.”

“...I do...thank you,” Fluttershy murmured. “I have to go. ...Have a good date. ...You're very lucky, Comet. You two are perfect for each other, and that's wonderful how you found love in one another. I wish you two the best of luck.”

Not waiting for an answer, Fluttershy rose into the air and flew away.