• Published 19th Jun 2012
  • 5,306 Views, 552 Comments

Perfect On Paper - NintendoGal55



Rainbow Dash realizes the perfect pony for her is actually Fluttershy

  • ...
10
 552
 5,306

As The Night Goes On

Eating dinner with the Apple family was nothing new. Fluttershy had done so quite a few times, either alone or with some or all of their friends. But it was the first time in a while she was completely surrounded by other ponies in a single environment where she couldn't just get up and leave to be on her own. That would be rude, especially since Applejack and the rest of the household had graciously invited her to dinner this evening. At Applejack's idea, since nopony was in the mood to cook this evening, they'd decided to go pick up some food at the Sweet Briar Rose Diner, which had opened up about two weeks before.

Fluttershy, though reluctant, agreed to it. If nothing else, at least a nice walk to and from the farm with Applejack would be a nice idea to get her mind off things. At first, it managed okay, since she was able to keep herself from getting too depressed about certain things going on at the moment.

But all of that came to a screeching halt when they discovered that Blazing Comet and Rainbow Dash just happened to be there. Fluttershy could recall being stricken and nervous, fearing that everything would get incredibly awkward from then on. But she tried hard, for the sake of Rainbow Dash (she assumed she didn't know that Comet knew) and for Applejack too. It seemed to have worked, at first, but it wasn't until the walk home that things took another turn.

Despite her initial resolve not to tell anypony about this just yet, she could see that this was slowly turning around. Rarity knew, Twilight knew, now Applejack wanted to know, and worse off, Rainbow Dash knew. All that was left was Pinkie Pie.

With no other choice, especially since Applejack was very good at telling if somepony was lying, she ended up having to confess everything.

Applejack's reaction, however, was fairly surprising.

X~Earlier~X

“So, Ah'm gonna get this straight. Yer in love with Rainbow Dash.”

“Yes.”

“An' she's datin' Blazin' Comet, has been since the night o' the fireworks, where ya saw 'em tagether,” Applejack went on, and then stopped. “The point is, now she knows an' RD knows too.”

“Y-Yes...Oh, I'm so sorry, Applejack. I didn't mean to crack like I did back there. I-I was just a little overwhelmed,” Fluttershy said softly, looking down at the ground.

“Ain't nothin' wrong! It's okay,” Applejack assured her. “Ah'm just sorry Ah said what Ah did an' it upset ya.”

“No, don't be sorry. You didn't even know,” Fluttershy shook her head. “I couldn't have expected you to know. It's okay.”

“No wonder RD looked ready ta strangle me after Ah said it...” Applejack said thoughtfully. “Man, Ah'm real sorry 'bout all this, Fluttershy. Ah oughta give her a piece o' mah mind...”

Panicked, the timid mare shook her head frantically. “No! Please...don't blame her. She can't help how she feels, and neither can I. Please, don't. As...heartbroken as I am, I...I respect her for being honest with me and for not lying or leading me on. She did the right thing, it shows she cares about me enough to do that. Please, don't hurt her.”

“Ah understand,” Applejack told her kindly. “But Ah still wanna talk ta her anyway. Just ta get her side o' things. Don't mean Ah'm pleased fer her makin' ya cry.”

“...All right, I suppose I can understand that,” the creamy yellow Pegasus said softly, looking away again. “...Can we just keep going? I really don't feel up to talking about this right now.”

Smiling, Applejack nodded. “You got it, sugarcube. Ah won't say nothin' more about it.”

~X~

Dinnertime was a quiet affair, with the family making small talk with her or with one another. Apple Bloom talked about her day at school, then mentioned some plans she and her friends had for the weekend, some silly ideas to discover their special talents. Nothing extreme, it seemed, but they were taking some baking lessons from Pinkie Pie in order to be able to make treats whenever they wanted to for everypony they cared about.

Fluttershy helped clean up the dishes, despite being told she was a guest and didn't have to, but she did so anyway. Afterwards, she went to sit outside on the back porch. It was nighttime now, with Luna's moon prospering in the sky with all kinds of stars out. The quiet, soothing sounds of the night reached her ears, most prominently with the crickets chirping. All around her, the air smelled fresh, the nighttime breeze was cooling to her coat.

Hearing the back door open, the clopping of small hooves, Fluttershy could tell that it was Apple Bloom. Sure enough, the sight of the filly's big pink bow appeared in her peripheral vision as Apple Bloom sat down beside her.

“You okay, Fluttershy? Ah noticed you were quiet all evenin',” Apple Bloom said softly, looking up at her. “You seem kinda sad.”

Looking down at the concerned, curious filly, Fluttershy sighed a bit. Even a child knew something was up with her. Then again, Apple Bloom was intelligent and very perceptive, it was no wonder she seemed to notice something was off about her. Despite that she herself was quiet all the time, it must've been more than usual.

“I'm all right, Apple Bloom. I'm just going through a bit of a tough time right now,” Fluttershy responded, looking ahead of her.

“Why? What's goin' on? Won't ya tell me?”

“I...don't think you would want to hear it.”

“Yes Ah do!” Apple Bloom pouted. “Yer sad an' I wanna help ya, Fluttershy! Ah don't like seein' ya sad! Cain't ya tell me why yer sad? Please?”

Glancing back toward her, Fluttershy smiled a bit. She did realize that it was a good idea to treat children with respect for their intelligence, and surely Apple Bloom could have some insight on the matter in her own way. Why not tell her, get her a little bit of knowledge of “grown up” issues?

“Well...it is a bit of a long story, but, the gist of it.... I'm...” Fluttershy sighed a bit, looking down. “I'm in love with somepony, but they don't love me back. They're dating somepony, on top of that. So...I'm just very sad about all of that right now and just need some time to heal.”

“Ohhhh....” Apple Bloom said in understanding. “Man...Ah'm real sorry, Fluttershy. That sounds mighty sad... Y'all don't deserve that, though. Ah think ya deserve ta be happy! But um...who's the guy?”

“Huh?” Fluttershy blinked, not catching what she meant.

“Ya know...the stallion ya like? Who's he? Do Ah know 'im?”

“Oh!” Fluttershy shook her head, smiling. “No, it isn't a guy. ...I'm in love...with another mare, Apple Bloom.”

“Ohhhh...so ya like mares?”

“...Yes...”

“Ah see!” Apple Bloom smiled. “Okay, so who's the mare?”

Fluttershy hesitated, biting her lip a bit as she wondered whether or not to tell her the whole truth or not. Then again, Apple Bloom seemed to acknowledge that mares could indeed fall in love with each other, so who was to say that maybe she would understand further? It wouldn't hurt to share, just so long as she knew what not to do about it. She knew how kids could act...

“Apple Bloom, can I just ask you not to spread this around, please? This is very personal, and I don't want everypony under the sun knowing about it. Not like this.”

“No problem, Fluttershy! ...Can Ah tell Scootaloo an' Sweetie Belle, though?”

“...I suppose you can. But please, understand that it is just how I feel and that there is nothing wrong. It was all an unfortunate tail of events,” Fluttershy sighed a bit, looking down at her again.

“Ah get it, okay!” Apple Bloom smiled, nodding. “Now tell me who ya love, Fluttershy!”

“Well...” The older pony sighed again, not quite looking at her. “I'm in love with... Rainbow Dash...”

Apple Bloom's amber golden eyes widened considerably. “Rainbow Dash? Yer in love with her? Really?”

Fluttershy nodded. “Yes, I am.”

“Awwwww!!” Apple Bloom giggled. “That's mighty cute, Fluttershy! Ah think you two are perfect fer each other!”

“Apple Bloom, it's okay, you don't have to say such things to make me feel better. I know that isn't true.”

“No, Ah mean it! You've been friends with her a long time, an' while she's all fast an' darin'...yer all sweet an' soft an' kind... Now that Ah think about it, yeah! Rainbow Dash needs somepony like you! Somepony ta keep her calm, an' you even need somepony to help ya overcome shyness! Ya see? Y'all are perfect tagether! Yer like apple pie! Yer the apples, she's the crust, an' sure both are different, but when ya bring 'em tagether, it makes an awesome dessert!”

Giggling a bit, Fluttershy patted her head with her hoof. “You're very sweet to say that, Apple Bloom. Thank you. I see where you're trying to come from, but I'm afraid it's not that easy. Rainbow Dash doesn't love me back...and she's seeing somepony else, anyway.”

Apple Bloom frowned a bit. “That ain't right. Ah think she's with the wrong pony, Fluttershy! Yer perfect fer her! An' she cain't see that? What's wrong with her?”

“Oh, it isn't her at all. It's my fault, really...I'm just not good enough for her.”

“Why not?”

“It's complicated. But her marefriend is Blazing Comet...you've met her before. She's perfect for her, she's a lot like her and can keep up with her...that's what Rainbow has always wanted in a special somepony. Somepony who can keep up with her. And I can't be that pony, because I can't keep up with her as she would want me to.”

Silent for a few moments, Apple Bloom seemed to be considering something before she responded.

“...Fluttershy, um...can Ah ask ya somethin'? Applejack said Rainbow Dash chose the tortoise ta be her pet, right?”

Fluttershy frowned in confusion, wondering what this had to do with anything. “Yes...she did. She even named him Tank. Why do you ask?”

“Well...considerin' what Applejack told me, didn't Rainbow Dash say she wanted the same thing in a pet? A pet who was fast an' cool an' could keep up with her?” Apple Bloom queried.

“Yes, that was the gist of her...requirements for a pet at the time,” Fluttershy recalled, nodding.

“But she chose Tank the tortoise, who ain't nothin' like her.”

“No, he wasn't, but he did cross the finish line with her. Which was essentially the final rule of the test. Whoever crossed the line with her would be her pet. Even with that, he carried her to it, and while she was stuck in the gorge, he actually saved her,” Fluttershy smiled warmly at the memory. “She may not have been that nice to him at first, but he didn't care.”

“She chose Tank 'cause he was loyal ta her an' helped her without askin' fer anythin' in return!” Apple Bloom concluded, grinning widely. “Even though he ain't nothin' like them other faster pets! An' even when she wasn't all that nice ta him, he still helped her?”

“He certainly did!”

“All 'cause he cared an' wanted ta help her an' prove himself. Even when she had all kinds o' pets ta choose from, 'specially ones who were able ta keep up with her?”

“Yes...” Fluttershy now looked down at the filly curiously. “Now, what is it you're trying to get at?”

“What Ah'm tryin' ta say...is that yer kinda like Tank right now!” Apple Bloom said, bouncing excitedly. “Don't ya see? Rainbow Dash realized that Tank was a perfect pet fer her! Yer the perfect special somepony fer Rainbow Dash, but she wants somepony who can keep up with her! Don't ya think that she might realize yer the perfect pony fer her?”

Now Fluttershy understood, and giggled. She could see where Apple Bloom was coming from. She now thought that because this was something similar to when Rainbow was trying to find a perfect pet and only focused on shallow requirements, and it turned out that the pet who was the most unlike her proved to be the perfect pet. Now the filly thought the same thing would apply here. That she, the dissimilar and imperfect Fluttershy was the real perfect girlfriend for Rainbow Dash and not somepony fast and daring like Blazing Comet.

She found the youngster's analogy to be adorable, even if a bit of a saddening reminder.

“That's cute, Apple Bloom,” Fluttershy smiled sadly at her. “But I'm afraid that's just not the same thing. It doesn't really work that way.”

“Sure it does!” Apple Bloom pouted. “Ah sure think so. Rainbow Dash just needs ta get her eyes checked 'cause you were the perfect pony fer her all along!”

“As much as it may not work that way...I can't help but wish that, Apple Bloom.”

The younger and older pony both fell silent as they gazed up at the starry sky, surrounded by nothing but the quiet, calm sounds of the night.


“WOW! That race was so AWESOME! I knew Fleetfoot would win again! That gal's got speed like nopony's business!”

“Heh, knew it right from the start, all right! That was the BEST RACE EVER!!”

Rainbow Dash and Blazing Comet shared hearty laughs as they mingled along the rest of the ponies attending the backstage party going on inside the stadium in Canterlot. The Wonderbolts themselves were lounging with the guests, having drinks and a ball of a time.

Comet grinned upon seeing one particular unicorn amidst a few others in a small group. “Heeeeyy Fancy! I'd say it's fancy seeing you here!”

Fancy Pants turned around and grinned heartily. “Well, Miss Comet! How splendid to see you! Always one to tell a spot-on pun, I see!”

“You know me!” Comet winked, then threw her foreleg around Rainbow Dash. “Here's Rainbow Dash!”

“Hey, it's you! You're that nice rich guy we saw Rarity talking to at the garden party that one time!” Rainbow Dash grinned as she recognized.

Smiling, Fancy Pants shook hooves with her. “Ah, Miss Rainbow Dash, how lovely to see you again! I daresay your dress looks absolutely beautiful. Wherever did you get it?”

“Rarity made it, of course!” Rainbow grinned.

“Of course, I should have known. A simplistic style with the right combination of elegance and class. Very well done!” Fancy Pants praised, chuckling.

“So you guys met before?” Comet queried.

“We have indeed. Miss Rarity was kind enough to introduce me to her charming friends during a garden party many months back,” Fancy Pants explained. He then chuckled a bit, leaning toward Rainbow as if to tell her a secret. “She had told me you were the personal trainer of the Wonderbolts.”

“HA! That'd be the day!” Rainbow snickered before breaking into full on laughter. “Me, the trainer of the Wonderbolts! Trainer Dash! Hey, I like that! Trainer Dash!”

“Cute,” Comet chuckled, shaking her head. “Well Fancy, nice seeing you! We've got some things to take care of.”

“Of course, then. Have a good evening, ladies,” Fancy Pants smiled, and then rejoined his companions.

The two mares then trotted over to where the Wonderbolts were chatting with a couple of fans and having some drinks. Spitfire looked up, noticing them, and grinned. She excused herself, going over to greet them.

“Hey, Rainbow Dash! Glad you could make it!” Spitfire cajoled. “Comet here's been really excited to bring you to this race!”

“I'll bet!” Rainbow grinned. “What a small world, I had no idea she'd been a Wonderbolt all this time!”

“What can I say, incognito!” Comet joked, winking.

Spitfire chuckled and adjusted her goggles further up her forehead. “So, finally did it, eh, Comet?”

“Did what?” Rainbow queried.

“The way Comet's talked about you, I figured she had to have been asking you out.”

“Guilty!” Comet held her hoof up.

“You devil!” Rainbow stuck her tongue out at her. “Put me on the spot why don't you! If I'd said no, you'd have been slammed!”

“Who says I thought you'd say no?” Comet smirked.

“Ohhh, I see,” Rainbow smirked back. She winked, turning back to Spitfire. “So how are you guys? I haven't seen you all since the Royal Wedding!”

“Pretty good! Been doing our usual thing, training and doing our shows across Equestria, all that good stuff,” Spitfire explained with a little shrug. “How about you, Rainbow Das? What've you been up to?”

“Aside from being on a date like I am here, I've just been doing my thing back in Ponyville! But that's not to mention working on all kinds of new tricks I have up my sleeve!” Rainbow winked a her.

The Wonderbolt captain laughed, grinning all the more. “I should've known. Couldn't expect any less! Well, I sure hope you'll be ready to show me those nifty tricks sometime.” She winked as well.

“Oooh!” Comet drawled and nudged Rainbow lightly.

Rainbow snickered, grinning wider. “Yeah! That'd be awesome! You can count on me!”

“Hey, it's Rainbow Dash!” Soarin' piped as he came over to them, grinning. “I know that rainbow mane anywhere, pie-saver!”

“Still not letting me live that down, are you?” Rainbow smirked playfully.

Soarin' laughed, grinning as he nudged her lightly. “Not at all! Pie heroes are hard to come by!”

“So, how's Fluttershy? Your number one flyer from Tornado Day?” Spitfire queried curiously.

“F-Fluttershy?” Rainbow blinked, taken off guard by her enquiry. Her excited grin even faded, and she could see Comet looking a bit put-off at the corner of her eye.

Ever since arriving in Canterlot, then watching the race and coming to the party, Rainbow Dash had been so wrapped up in everything happening, she hadn't thought of her problems. But now, with the mere mention of her best friend, the onslaught of worry, anxiety and guilt came rushing back to her like a fierce tidal wave. She bit her lip, uncertainty eating at her gut.

“Um...she's...fine! Yep, just fine!” Rainbow grinned nervously. “Not much to report, but fine!”

Spitfire raised an eyebrow, clearly indicating she felt there was something Rainbow wasn't telling her. But she relaxed after a moment, likely dropping the subject. “I see! That's good, then. So, do you gals want to hang out with us for a bit?”

“Yeah! Definitely!” Rainbow nodded, grinning all over again. “What do you say, Comet?”

“I say, why aren't we decked out and doing that already?” Comet winked.

Forgetting her troubles once more, Rainbow decided to just focus on having fun for the rest of the evening. It was the least she could do for Comet and everypony else around her, especially her idols. That was what tonight was all about, having a good time together and to still keep on dating if it truly went well.

By tomorrow and the next days to follow, she would be able to think about what she could do with a clearer head. At least then she would have a better idea of how to approach everything and even create something of a game plan to make things right. For herself. For Blazing Comet.

Most especially, for Fluttershy.


A wedding?

Rainbow Dash wasn't even sure what to think. What was even going on? She was inside the town hall in Ponyville, wearing an elegant blue dress, standing at the altar. Clearly because SHE was getting married. The Mayor was presiding, the entire town was present, as were the Wonderbolts, and even Princess Celestia and Princess Luna were sitting close by in special-made seatings for them.

Turning to Pinkie Pie, who stood beside her, dressed in a wild candy-themed pink and yellow gown, obviously her Best Mare, she whispered.

“Pinks...what's going on?”

“Silly Dashie, it's your wedding day!” Pinkie grinned.

“I know THAT! But...how?! I'm not ready to get married! I just started dating!” Rainbow hissed under her breath. “Who the hay am I even marrying?!”

“Well, duh!” Pinkie rolled her eyes. “The pony you proposed to, of course!”

“Proposed?! I don't even remember the courtship, let alone who I'm marrying!” Rainbow whispered loudly.

“Shhh! Your bride's coming!” Pinki giggled.

Sure enough, a chorus of birds were singing out the traditional Wedding march, and that was when the guests all rose to their hooves, turning to the doors. They opened thanks to two unicorn guards standing on either side of them.

First came the Cutie Mark Crusaders, wearing adorable white dresses and flowers in their manes. Each of them held baskets, sprinkling flower petals along the aisle, skipping happily along like the adorable little angels they were. Even Rainbow couldn't hold back a smile at the adorable sight, especially of Scootaloo, who was carrying a pillow with two rings on necklace chains.

Moments later, in came the bride, alongside Rarity (obviously the Maid of Honour), their face obscured by the veil. They were even wearing full length gloves, so it was impossible to make out the pony's coat colour. Rainbow Dash's jaw dropped at how beautiful the bride looked in an extravagant, yet delicate pure white wedding gown. The hem and skirt were aligned with a light green vine pattern, and a brooch in the shape of a cyan butterfly with pink wings sat comfortably at her chest amidst a bridal wreath of beautiful flowers.

Soon, the bride was now standing in front of her, still hidden away within the veil and gown, a complete mystery as to who it might've been.

“...Comet? That you?” It almost sounded ridiculous since she couldn't imagine her in such a getup.

The bride seemed to recoil, and then there was a sad sniffle. Nopony else seemed to notice or care, as they just simply watched with bright fascination.

“N-No...” Came a soft, whispery voice.

Rainbow felt her her heart drop, and her eyes went wide. She knew that voice. She recognized it anywhere.

“Fluttershy?!”

The veil was lifted by a couple of birds (revealing to have been holding her train), revealing that the bride was indeed Fluttershy. Rainbow gaped, taken aback by just how radiant and beautiful she looked. Her mane was held back by flower and butterfly clips, exposing her face completely. Light makeup adorned her face to enhance her features, and even a coat of pink lipstick that matched her mane.

Rainbow felt her legs grow weak. She couldn't take her eyes off the gorgeous bride if she wanted to. Her bride. She was marrying Fluttershy. It didn't make sense, but so much of everything didn't let it apply. She couldn't just turn away. Especially since the timid mare was now looking at her with teary eyes.

“...You don't want to marry me, do you. ...I should've known. ...I...I understand, Rainbow Dash...if you'd rather not marry me...It's okay. I-I just...want you to be happy,” Fluttershy mumbled softly amidst her tears. “I love you, and all I want is for you to do as you wish.”

Any resolve she'd had before was out the window.

Not even caring that they weren't pronounced yet, Rainbow brought her into her forelegs and kissed her sweetly. To say that Fluttershy's lips were sweet to the taste and touch would be an understatement. Her entire form trembled, her heart soared, and tears pooled behind her eyelids.

Whatever changed her mind, she didn't care. All she knew was that she wanted nothing more than to marry Fluttershy. The Element of Kindness. The most caring mare in Ponyville. Her best friend forever.

“I will marry you, Fluttershy,” Rainbow whispered upon pulling back, gently wiping her tears with her hoof. “I do...I do...Fluttershy... Oh, Fluttershy...”

“You do what?” Came a voice.

“Fluttershy?”

Snapping awake, Rainbow lifted her head up as she blinked drearily. She snorted, yawned, then sitting up. Her mind still sleepy, but waking up as well, she managed to take in her surroundings. A train car, with other ponies sitting around on the seats. She had been sleeping? Since when? Why? When had she fallen asleep? Was she just that tired?

It dawned on her. She was the train ride back home. They had left the stadium after eleven, and were now on the late train to get back to Ponyville. How or why she fell asleep was still unknown to her, as well as how long she'd been sleeping.

“Dash, you were talking in your sleep,” Comet said from the seat beside her. Her voice had a touch of emotion she couldn't quite place.

“...Sorry...” Rainbow yawned a bit, rubbing her eyes. “How long was I sleeping?”

“About an hour. We'll be back in ten minutes or so by now,” Comet responded, not quite looking at her. “You fell asleep when you said you just wanted to close your eyes.”

“...Oh...”

“So, like I said, you were talking in your sleep. You kept on saying Fluttershy's name over and over. Guess you had a dream about her?” Comet looked at her again, raising a brow.

“Heh...maybe?” Rainbow Dash smiled sheepishly, her ears flattening. “Sorry, Comet. I didn't mean to.”

Comet sighed, biting her lip a bit as she looked away from her. “Nah, it's okay. I understand. You can't help what you dream.”

“...I guess,” Rainbow sighed, looking out the window, much like she'd done on the previous train ride. “I'm real sorry Comet, I tried hard to make this evening work, but it looks like all I did was mess it up.”

“Dash, no. You didn't. It wasn't anypony's fault! You just had a bit of a tough week and a long day, no less,” Comet looked to her again, nuzzling her lightly. “Don't worry about it. We'll just recoup for a while, then we'll go out again maybe next week or so. I think...you and Fluttershy need to sort things out before we do anything else.”

The cyan Pegasus nodded in agreement, nuzzling her marefriend lightly as she took in her advice. While she had wanted to do so all along, she hadn't been sure how to, and needed some time to think it over. What she had to do was prove to Fluttershy that she still cared about her and that they would always still be friends. Not to mention, that she accepted her feelings and wouldn't let it drive a wedge between them in the long run. No matter what.

“You're right...I'll do that. Once I figure something out,” Rainbow said softly.

“Atta girl,” Comet chuckled. “I just want you to be okay with everything and come out of it with a strong heart. But you can do it, Dash. I know you can.”

Chuckling a bit, Rainbow nuzzled her again and nodded. “Yeah, you're right. Thanks a lot.”

“Don't mention it.”

With her resolve in mind, Rainbow was determined. She would go home, sleep on it, get up tomorrow, perform her weather duties, and figure a way to get this rolling. Whatever she would come up with, she hoped would make Fluttershy happy.