• Published 18th Jun 2012
  • 562 Views, 2 Comments

Runner On the Storm - SilasSilversti



Ever wonder how the worst storms in Equestria are created? The answer lies with a wise Pegasus.

  • ...
 2
 562

Runner On the Storm











"I knew a Pegasus, he wasn't like all the others. He was different, his parents had abandoned him when he was very young. He was taken in by my family when I was a little colt. At first, I didn't think much of him, but as we grew up, went through flight school, and been Wonderbolts together, we've been like brothers."

- Soarin'




It was a normal sunny day in Cloudsdale, it was raining down below but not this high up in the sky. The little fillys and colts had just got out of flight school for the day. A small group was forming on a cloud overlooking the school. "Hey Storm! Think you're faster than us?" Two jocks said, they were Dumb-Bell and Hoops. They were taunting Storm Runner as usual. "Eh, dunno about that." Storm replied, he didn't want to get into anything.

His brother Soarin' flew up beside him, "Course he's faster than you, just about everypony here is too." He said in a mocking tone. Dumb-Bell glared at the tall light blue Pegasus, "Well why don't you all put your bits where your mouths are?" He said in an angry tone, "To the Weather Factory and back! First Pegasus who crosses the finish line, is the fastest in school!"


Soarin' lined up with Dumb-Bell, Hoops, and Storm. Four wasn't much of a race, Hoops was calling other classmates over to make it more competitive. "Hey Silas! Doug! Aldy! You three get over here!" He called to the nearby pegasi. They flew over and lined up with the others. Aldy yawned, Silas flipped his hair, and Doug cracked his wings. "You there! Fluttercry! Be a sport and count down the race!" Hoops yelled to the shy yellow pegasus standing all alone. She flew clumsily over and Storm gave her the flag.


"Dude don't rip on her, that's weak....lets just do this, so I can go home." Silas said, Hoops glared at him and Fluttershy gave him a smile with the flag in her mouth. The racers got ready, Fluttershy held the flag up, Storm cracked his wings along with Soarin'. The flag was waved, they were off. The sudden burst of speed spun Fluttershy around in a circle.


Hoops was surprisingly leading the pack, followed closely by Soarin' and Storm. The group sped past the school, they were nothing but blurs as they headed towards the factory. Soarin' cut off Hoops and flew ahead, Storm had some trouble though, Hoops was trying to throw him off course. The jock kicked at Storm, it knocked him back. When he came to his senses Silas and Dumb-Bell had already passed him. Storm sped up in a desperate attempt to regain his position.


The sky darkened, night was comming. Silas and Dumb-Bell kept hitting each other, but neither of them let up. Storm took advantage of their fighting and sped past them. He eventually caught up to Hoops as they reached the factory. A storm was brewin', but there was no fear. Soarin' was still ahead by far, Hoops tried to throw Storm off course, but Storm rammed him. The cocky pegasus flew right into another cloud face first, Storm was all clear.


Storm looked back, Silas and Dumb-Bell were still fighting, Silas kicked him in the face, Dumb-Bell retaliated with a hoof to the chest. Silas had the wind knocked out of him, the remaining jock targeted Storm. The racers flew around the Weather Factory, the clouds were changing. Dumb-Bell started tormenting Storm Runner, "Miss your mommy little Storm? HAHAHAA!!!" The cocky flyer said. Storm turned red with rage, the bully flew ahead of him.


A storm was brewing inside of him as well, Storm Runner was indeed pissed off beyond belief. He spread his wings wide, and sprang towards Dumb-Bell with all his strength and slammed into him. A crack was heard, more like a boom, it was a mix. A flash of light lit up the sky, the bully was thrown from his place and slammed into a cloud. Silas covered his eyes, for the flash was too much to take, Aldy and Doug smashed into him. The three flyers fell down onto lower clouds. Storm Runner had created lightning.


Lightning flashed from all the clouds, thunder boomed all across Equestria. Rain poured down on Everypony, Storm Runner still had a race to win. He zoomed to the finish line, Storm caught up to his brother Soarin'. Even with his new found power, sadly he still wasn't faster than his brother. Soarin' crossed the finish line first, Storm Runner came in second. "Holy shit! Storm did you do all this?!" Soarin' yelled to Storm, he threw up his hooves to the clouds. Every one of them was flashing lightning every couple seconds. It was like the sky was pissed, Soarin' looked into his brother's eyes, he too was pissed.


In Storm Runner's eyes, was rage. He had never been so mad in his life. With every breath he took, thunder crashed. Every time he blinked, lightning flashed. That was the day Storm learned he had a special power, he was the Storm. He controlled thunder and lightning, he was the Storm.

Present Day

"That's when I realized he was different, he had a special power. I have no idea how he got it, but he has it. I dunno if it's a curse or what, but I try to look at it in a positive way." Soarin' said softly. "We were all Wonderbolts together. Our skills in flight school earned us the privilege to go to the Wonderbolts Academy, where only the best fliers could go. Hell, most of our friends left home after flight school. Silas, Doug, and Aldy joined the military together. Well, actually they got drafted, Dumb-Bell and Hoops just stayed in Cloudsdale and ended up getting jobs at the Weather Factory. Fluttershy moved to Ponyville, Rainbow dropped out and moved to Ponyville as well, and you, well you were there waiting for us at the Academy." Soarin' looked at Spitfire with a sad expression, she returned the look.


"I miss him Spitfire, I want him to come back home." Soarin' finally said, he broke out in tears and threw himself into Spitfires hooves. She held him tightly, she too was in tears. They missed Storm, ever since he left the Wonderbolts, things just weren't the same. Storm just always wanted something new, being a Wonderbolt, showing off, performing, it just wasn't what he was into.

***

Storm Runner sped across the sky, just for fun he flexed and made lightning flash from nearby clouds. He always loved to light up the night, he knew how to control his power now. The town of Fillydelphia was just ahead of Storm, he flew down to check it out. Storm had never been to Filly before, it was a whole new experience for him.


He landed on the dark main street. Apartments and motels were lined up along it. There was only one building that wasn't either, it had a big neon sign that was lit up at the end of the street. Storm trotted over to the building, it read, Stride's Pub. Storm was rather thirsty so he went on in.


It was a middle class bar, there were a few tables scattered near a stage. A band was playing, they called themselves "Fourth Wall." Storm took a closer look and recognized the guitarist as Silas. Now that he saw a familiar face he felt more comfortable. Storm took a seat at the bar, a light blue unicorn cleaning a glass with his magic approached him. He looked like a well groomed stallion, he had a easy going look on his face as well.


"You're not from around here, are yah?" He said to Storm, Storm nodded his head in response. "Thought so, name's Orange Stride, always good to see a new face in here, what can I getcha?" Storm pondered for a bit, he never had liquor from Fillydelphia before. "Ermm, I'll just have a glass of cider I guess." He said, Stride gave him a funny grin. "Weird, everypony just can't get enough of this stuff." He chuckled as he filled up a glass and slid it down in front of Storm.


Storm was feeling a little depressed, he missed Cloudsdale, he missed Soarin' and Spitfire as well. He chugged the cider, Storm cringed as he finished it. Stride chuckled, "Strong stuff ain't it? Be responsible now, or I'll have to cut you off." Storm smiled at Stride, his kind nature cheered him up a little bit. "Give me another one." Storm said, he turned to look at the band. They had just finished their last song for the night.


Orange Stride passed Storm another glass of cider. The band put their instruments away and got ready to leave. Silas came up to the bar and had a seat next to Storm. "Ahh no wayy! It's Lightning, what's good my man?" Silas patted him on the shoulder and smiled. "Long time no see eh? What is a flier like you doing in a dump like Filly?" He asked. Storm turned to look at his old classmate, Silas' ear was now chipped and he had a large scar next to his right eye. "I'm alright I guess, looking for somethin' new, made it into the Wonderbolts you know."


Silas got prepared for a long story. Storm spoke in his deep voice, "Yeah, Soarin' and I went to the Wonderbolt Academy, heard you been through a lot in the military, glad to see you made it out in one piece. I left the Wonderbolts though, I wanted something different, I didn't like the feeling of performing, or showing off. I just wanna find a good use for my power that makes me happy." As Storm finished his sentence he noticed Silas had put on a serious face. He spoke slowly, "Yeah, I made it out of that hellhole in one piece, so did Aldy. Doug, I wish I could say the same for him, he was killed in action during an ambush, damn changelings. He was like a brother to me, and I lost him."


Silas continued, "You shouldn't of left Cloudsdale, you were somebody there. Adventure will always come somewhere in life, what you should do is work at the weather factory." Storm looked at his orange friend, puzzled. Silas continued, "Well, you can conjure up a hell of a thunder storm, the weather factory is always looking for new people. They sure could use the help." Storm thought for a little bit, the two friends discussed it over a couple more drinks.

***

Soarin' swooped up in the sky and did a loop, as did Spitfire and Fleetfoot. The Wonderbolts were practicing their performance for the Grand Galloping Gala. It was cut short, Rainbow Dash yelled Soarin's name. He flew down to her side, Spitfire followed closely. "Soarin' they say your brothers back in town!" Rainbow said to the Wonderbolt. Soarin' had a face of disbelief, "S-Storms back?" He said, followed by silence. Spitfire broke the awkward moment, "Well what are we waiting for? Come on lets go!" She yelled. Her, Soarin', and Rainbow flew off.


"Everypony has been saying he's at the weather factory!" Rainbow said, Soarin' and Spitfire looked at each other then sped up. The trio approached the factory and noticed a large blue Pegasus hovering above it talking with Rain Drops. "STORM!" Soarin' yelled, Storm turned his head. His face lit up as he saw his brother flying towards him. He flew up and hugged him and Spitfire. "Aww man I missed you guys so much!" Storm said, Rainbow and Rain Drops watched the reunion. "We missed you too! What are you doing back in Cloudsdale?" Spitfire asked, Storm Runner grinned, "I'm now the boss of the Storm Wing at the weather factory! They say there hasn't been a boss in that wing for years."

***

Storm Runner loved his new job, his team bucked clouds filled with water whenever it had to rain. He conjured up the thunder and lightning for the storms needed across Equestria. Storm Runner still left Cloudsdale going on adventures and visiting other towns every once in a while. He also visited Soarin' and Spitfire as much as he could and watched many of their performances. A storm wasn't needed very often but when it was, he was there ready to conjure up a crazy one. Storm Runner had finally found a way to use his power.




"With every breath thunder crashes, every blink lightning flashes. You best not see him when hes mad, or you will end up pretty bad."

THE END

Author's Note:

I'm still not sure if I'm expanding this. I just read it for the first time in months today and thought of a few new things. I cannot promise Runner on the Storm's expansion though.

Comments ( 2 )

Like it, but it just feels... A bit rushed...

Regardless, wanna see what happens, if you choose to expand of course...:fluttershyouch:

-Jorofrarie

921355 It was just suppose to be a short story. I wanted to fit in all I could, I may consider expanding it I'm not sure yet. :derpytongue2:

Login or register to comment