• Published 2nd May 2016
  • 1,346 Views, 25 Comments

The Last Butterfly Dragon - Meadow Feather



Fluttershy's only goal is to protect her friends. How far will she go?

  • ...
3
 25
 1,346

Chapter 2: Spurington

Author's Note:

In which I realize too late that I have changed the narrative to past-tense.... *sigh* :facehoof: There is no way I'm redoing it right now though because I spent three hours on this stupid chapter and I'm going to deliver. (also this fic isn't dead?? You're welcome..? I guess. :unsuresweetie: Don't worry I'll make sure to wait another 2 years before uploading chapter three :raritywink: {sarcasm?})

Ponyville was often a peaceful town in the eyes of the rest of Equestria and the residents themselves. Residents accepted that this was simply not accurate now that it was known that the bearers of the Elements of Harmony all called this cozy town home. Being the heroes of Equestria it is just common knowledge that chaos will follow them. It was not always monsters and threats to Equestria that followed these ponies to aid in bad luck. Ponies will be ponies and no matter what there will be chaos and disarray. Common knowledge, that’s it. Despite that, it will always be a surprise when the bearer of the Element of Generosity or any pony wails out as if her whole day had been ruined. The birds certainly didn’t appreciate it.


Rarity was not a morning mare in the least. Of course, she woke up when her shop required it, but she hated losing beauty-sleep. Today, though, Rarity had gotten too much beauty sleep.

Opalescence jumped on the snoozing unicorn in an attempt to bug her out of sleep. The cat growled when she didn’t budge and in one swipe removed her sleeping mask. With a yelp, Rarity flopped out of her bed in an undignified manner. She lay on the floor in a pile of mane and blankets gasping for breath. Opalescence let out a satisfied meow and earned a death-glare from the pony.

With a sigh, Rarity heaved herself up into a sitting position. She glanced at the clock on her nightstand and her heart stopped. It read 11:00 and she was supposed to meet her friends at the train station in an hour. ”No, no, no, no, no..” she scrambled to stand and hurried to get ready. How could she have slept in so late!? It had to happen today of all days! There was no way she of all ponies was going to be late! In her haste Rarity had nearly tumbled down the stairs, but she quickly righted herself and rushed to the nearest mirror to apply some makeup and style her hair to perfection.

Rarity glanced at the clock that showed 11:45. With one more appearance check in the mirror, she threw on her saddlebags and a few suitcases that she had packed last night onto her back and galloped out of her shop and toward the Ponyville train station.


Applejack and four of her five friends watched as Rarity rushed to the platform where they all resided. The train to Spurington could be seen in the distance, she noted.”Hey, what took you so long?” asked Rainbow Dash with crossed hooves.

Rarity waved her hoof dismissingly,” Nothing you should be-” she paused to take a deep breath” -worried about, Dash.”

“Well there’s the train,” commented Twilight as a loud whistle sounded,”Does everypony have everything?” she smiled at the series of nods that were directed toward her. The train came to a stop and opened its cart doors. A few colts came out took their luggage and they stepped into their reserved train cart. Everypony settled into their seats and prepared for the long trip to Spurington.


The bearers of the Elements of Harmony were no strangers to travel, but even they had to admit Spurington held a charm over them similar to Ponyville. The train had finally arrived and stopped at Spurington’s train station. It took a few minutes for the six mares to fully exit the rail-bound transport. After everyone had properly stretched Twilight suggested that they find the rooms that Princess Celestia had booked for them. The other five mares agreed and they set out.

Spurington was presumably a quiet town, but with the threat of a full grown dragon looming over the residents, the air was thick to the point of being suffocating. Spurington had a similar layout to Ponyville and other small towns that were scattered about Equestria with a Town Hall in the middle and plenty of neighborhoods. The ponies were, for the most part, friendly to the mane six with the exception of a few demanding that the princess solve the problem ‘this instant’. Twilight didn’t hold anything against these ponies, though, she understood that they were unsettled.

The six friends were staying in a cozy inn that the princess of the sun had hoof picked. There was only one room that hadn’t been booked at the time and that was the giant guest room, so extra beds had been placed in there to accommodate the six ponies that would be staying there. Twilight shook her head. She as well as the others hoped that it would not take too long to dissuade this dragon.

Twilight currently sat on her bed while her friends were slightly unpacking. She gave her saddlebags a light look through just to make sure she hadn’t forgotten anything. With a sigh of content she lay on her bed and pulled out a checklist, it was not like if she had forgotten anything she would be able to go back and get it, she had already checked through it on the train a few times. The list hovered via magic in front of Twilight as she added and crossed out sentences. Feeling satisfied with her list she looked up and said,” Okay girls, I think it would be best to split up and try to get any information from the townsponies we can. Rarity and I can cover the southern part of the town. Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie, you can ask around the northern bits of the town. Rainbow I want you to ask around the eastern part of the town and Applejack you can cover the western.”

The girls nodded as they were addressed showing they agreed with Twilight’s plan.”Oooh,” bounced Pinkie “what if after we scare off this big meanie-pants dragon we throw a Thetownwon’tbeburneddownandthedayissaved party!? We can invite all of the ponies who live here and everyone will finally be happy, no more grumpy grouchy scaredy ponies!”

“Uh, sure Pinkie, we can throw a party. Right, Twi?” asked Applejack.

Twilight laughed and nodded,” Yeah we can let Pinkie throw apart-”

“Yeah!” exclaimed Rainbow Dash “When we finally kick this dragon’s rear and get to partying I’m going to finally beat you in a dance-out AJ.” she pointed to the farm pony in question with a cocky grin.

“No way, RD, Ahm not givin’ away my title so easy,” said Applejack with a playful smirk.

Fluttershy, who had been quiet for a majority of the trip, sat on her bed with a content smile watching the exchange her friends were having. She was pretty terrified of the impending dragon doom, but she knew nothing terribly bad could ever happen with her friends around.

“Okay,” interrupted Twilight “I think we should get going, the faster we figure out what's up with this dragon the faster we can throw a party and go home.” there was a chorus of agreements and the six mares headed out to find information on the dragon in hopes they could peacefully dissuade it from whatever it could possibly be planning in a peaceful manner.

Comments ( 7 )

WELL LOOK AT ME AREN'T I A BIG FAT LIAR!! :D
Hope everyone enjoys my messed up chapter 2 woo :pinkiehappy:

Rarity waved her hoof and attempted to catch her breath,” Nothing you should be” she paused to take a deep breath” worried about Dash.”

breath. "Nothing you should be-" she paused to take a deep breath, "-worried about, Dash."

9059700
Whoops, I’ll get on it when I get the chance! Thanks for the comment :twilightsmile:

It is nice to see another chapter after so long :pinkiesmile: I really enjoyed the Spurington part with the Mane 6 dialogue—that felt really lively and dynamic. As for your fear of changing the viewpoint too often, that didn’t happen. In fact, the viewpoint is still the same—the whole story is told by an omniscient narrator. You switched only between three scenes and that surely wasn’t confusing, though I felt like the Ponyville and Rarity ones didn’t serve any purpose :twilightsheepish:

9061408
Thanks I really wasn’t sure if I was ever going to start this up gain but the other day it just happened heh. I swear getting chapters started is such a pain for me and idk what happened but I threw in rarity *shrugs* glad you liked the Spurington bit though! I wanted this chapter to be a little bit longer but it is what it is hopefully it won’t too long for another update but I can’t promise anything

9061451
You're welcome :pinkiesmile: Starting a chapter is always hard, I found out that's good to write anything here, write on and then fix the beginning.

Hello from 2 years and 25 days after you last update asking, When will you next update come out?

Login or register to comment