• Published 2nd May 2016
  • 1,344 Views, 25 Comments

The Last Butterfly Dragon - Meadow Feather



Fluttershy's only goal is to protect her friends. How far will she go?

  • ...
3
 25
 1,344

Chapter 1: The Beginning

Present Time...

"Do you know how long she's been acting like this?" said a canary yellow pegasus who stood in front of a sprawled out Winona with a small frown.

"She's been like this for a day now, it's real agitatin',- is that the right word?" she paused to think before looking back up into cyan eyes," You think you could do anythin' Flutters?" said Applejack who slightly fidgeted with worry for her animal companion.

The two stood in the Apple family den, rustic treasures hung everywhere the eye could see.

"Have you changed anything in her diet lately, it seems that her stomach is the problem." said Fluttershy stroking the pet in question.

The earth pony pondered," No ah' don't reckon that we changed her dog food." the farm hick paused, wincing," Actually, Mac did feed her some leftovers after dinner last night."

"She must have gotten something her stomach didn't agree with, poor thing." she paused, pondering," If it's just food poisoning it should pass in a few days." She said looking back up to Applejack,"If she gets any worse you should take her to a vet." she finished with a nod and another sympathetic glance at the pooch. "I really wish I could do more."

Applejack faced her with a look of gratitude,"don't worry sugarcube, in fact I couldn't thank you e-"

Crash! As she finished her sentence a streak of blue shot through the window and into the opposing wall. Both ponies jumped in horror.

"nough" She finished with a sigh and looked over to the mound of blue feathers,"Rainbow" Applejack groaned," another failed attempt at a new stunt? I don't know about you but glass isn't as cheap as cloud." she questioned, glancing over to see that Fluttershy had thankfully recovered from the fright quickly and was giving the lump a worried look.

Rainbow groaned and stood up, rubbing her head."Heh, sorry, I can pay for that. But no, I was looking for you..two" She added seeing Fluttershy," Twilight wanted me to get you and the rest of the girls gathered at the castle. Said it was something real important."

"Did she tell you what the emergency was?" Asked Fluttershy.

"Nope, just told me to let everypony in the know." She shrugged," Hey I really need to tell the rest of the girls though, so.. meet there in fifteen." Rainbow said stretching her wings and taking off, leaving a rainbow trail behind her.

"Wouldn't say that's puttin' us in "the know' Mumbled Applejack as the two mares made their way out the front door and toward the castle.


Six ponies sat in their respected thrones. Five of the six were looking at the odd one out with anticipation.

"So what the hay Twilight, you told me to bring everypony here, aren't you going to tell us why?" Rainbow said with an impatient edge in her voice.

Looking up from the letter, Twilight sheepishly grinned," Sorry girls, I've been soaked up in the letter."

"A letter from the princess? Oh darling, you absolutely have to tell us what it says we haven't heard from her in forever!" insisted Rarity flailing her arms around dramatically.

"It's been two weeks, Rar." stated Applejack causing Rarity's cheeks to flush.

Twilight cleared her throat, shushing everypony in the room,"It says...

My dearest Twilight Sparkle,

My apologies for any delayed communication between us. There has recently been rumor of dragon sightings at Spurington, a small town located near Neighagra falls. He has not yet become a threat, but I worry that this dragon's presence near a pony in-habitation is not an accident. I would ask that you and the rest of the element bearers go to Spurington and find out as much as possible.

P.S. The train for your departure leaves at noon tomorrow. Be prepared, there's always the possibility you have to stay overnight.

Sincerely,
Princess Celestia

"So, what do you girls think?" The five mares stared at Twilight attentively with perked ears as she finished. The gears slowly working in their heads as they processed the letter and its contents.

"Okay," said Rainbow slowly,"Th-"

"There's a big ol' dragon hanging around Spurington and the princess is worried that he might be dangerous!" she paused, gasping for air," Buuuuut, maybe he just wants a friend, but is too scared to talk to any pony!" interrupted the whirlwind of pink.

"Uh, yeah.. I guess, Pinkie." Rainbow said slightly dazed from the sudden outburst.

"Pinkie might have a point, he might just want friends." said Fluttershy looking at Twilight with a small smile.

"I don't know," Twilight said as she shrugged," It bothers me knowing that there's a dragon just lurking near a pony-occupied area. What if he's scouting? What if he's planning on attacking." She said, her breath increasing.

"But aren't dragons usually passive aggressive?" Asked Rarity raising her brow slightly.

Twilight nodded,"Your right," she shook her head, driving the silly thoughts away,"Whatever his reasoning might be we'll have to be prepared for tomorrow. You girls should get back home and start packing, sunset is only a few hours away and like the princess said, we don't know how long we'll be there. We could be more than one night for all we know."

The others nodded without argument and filed out of the crystal castle, headed to their respected homes to prepare for the grueling journey ahead.

Author's Note:

I'm soo sorry it's been so long, and it's such a short chapter! :fluttercry: Just sit tight for more, I guess? I'm trying but like I've said before, my inspiration comes in short spikes and not very often.

I did have a totally different idea to this chapter but changed it and wrote this from scratch in like an hour or two. Constructive criticism is appreciated. Srysly, thanks for spending your time on little old me :duck:. Characterization may not be spot on, I haven't written enough to get it right. I'll get it though, I hope! :twilightblush: