• Published 31st Mar 2016
  • 244 Views, 4 Comments

Case 109 - Platinum Noir



Twilight Sprakle is a talented and well-respected detective, she's almost invinsible. Or so she thinks, until a new murder case hits very close to home; very close.

  • ...
 4
 244

6. Closure

Tears had completely soaked through the unfortunate pillow that I’d chosen a half-hour ago. At this point, it was no longer a pillow, it was but a soppy white piece of fluff that more resembled a giant wet cotton ball.

I was still unsure if my brother had ever left since I screamed “Get out!” an hour ago and ran upstairs. I had yet to hear a door slam, but he had yet to follow me upstairs; so unless he was stoic enough to stand in one place for this long I was to assume he exited. Or was it more than an hour ago? Time had once again seemed to escape my grasp and willingly go on without me during my little cry session. It was still light outside, so I hadn’t been here for a long time, but I noticed clouds were beginning to swell in the sky, causing a dark array to glow through my window. The clouds were large and mean-looking, sure to bring violent rains, but well-needed rain at-least.

I didn’t care if time went on, it could go without me for all I care. There was nothing left to do anyways. Time was the ultimate source of apathy in the world.

Suddenly, I heard a faint knock across the room, I quickly pointed my horn ready to do what could be necessary; but it was just Spike, leaning against the corridor.

“Startled?” He questioned.

I sighed and heaved a deep breathe. “You know Spike, do you know how long we’ve been doing this?” I probed.

“Years…a lot of years.” He answered, knowing exactly what I meant. This didn’t surprise me at this point.

“I wanted to quit so I could focus on life.” I continued.

“You don’t have to tell me twice.” He scoffed.

“You never were a good listener.” I immediately countered.

He shuffled his feet and returned his gaze back to me. “Apologies.” He simply stated.

“I just owed it to myself, you know? Before time got away from me, I wanted to use it.”

“You make it sound like that’s in the past now; what’s different now?” He asked, repulsed.

“What’s the point now? Don’t act like you didn’t see this coming; after all you’re here now aren’t you?” I declared.

“Sorry, but I came here to see if you were fine. Excuse the hay out of me!” He said, raising his voice.

“Fine? If I was doing fine? Is that the kind of condition you expected me to be in!?”

“Well…”

“Horseshit. We’ve been partners for a long time, you knew I wasn't fine.” I countered.

“You’re right; I should stop caring because you clearly don’t have any feelings left.” He claimed, sarcastically.

“I’ve been sitting here crying for the past damn hour! Look at this poor pillow!” I shot back, pointing at the sad cotton ball. “How dare you!” I growled.

“Are you convincing me, or yourself?” He replied, calmly, cocking his head a bit.

“There’s nothing to convince! When a friend dies I get sad! I think that’s a very normal damn reaction!” I exclaimed with all the hate I could possibly give.

“So why should that stop you from quitting this job and ending this façade?” He calmly queried.

“There is no façade! There is no more future! Don’t you understand!? I’m not even talking about this damn job anymore!”

“So then what are we talking about now?” He asked.

I was floored, completely fazed, Spike had done it once again. But he wasn’t going to win this time; he’d simply win the battle, and not the war.

Spike cleared his throat and held a claw up when he noticed me do the same.

“It’s my turn now." He stated almost evilly. "I’m sorry one of your friends killed another one, and I’m also sorry you have to solve it, I’m sorry for a lot of things Twi. There’s an endless amount of things I’m sorry about in this one case. But there’s one thing I’m not sorry about, and that’s your inability to have closure.” He shouted; face not changing for one moment.

“Closure?” I asked, teeth gritting.

A slight pause took over the shouting match, as Spike realized he may have made a crucial error.

“What the hay do you call this then!? I called the Feds to take over this damn case; it’s over, done, kaput!” I lashed.

“So if it’s so done, then why are you still trying to convince yourself that’s it’s not over?” Spike announced.

“I’m not!” I snorted loudly.

“I think we’re done here.” He said, as he turned around quickly and began to go down the stairs.

“If you think that’s closure then be my damn guest. You’re not making any sense.” He continued.

“What the hay is that supposed to mean!” I shouted.

“We are NOT done!” I screamed out to the stairs he just descended as I launched myself from the bed.

“I’ll call you when our next case comes through.” He taunted.

“You did not just say that! And it’s not ‘our’ anymore!” I bellowed so loud that a sudden headache began pounding away in my head.

Just as Spike was about to walk out the door, the phone rang; causing an extremely shrill end to the argument. The phone whined to be answered, as the light slowly flashed, waiting to be answered. I turned and faced the phone at my nightstand across the room. I lowered my head slightly, and burst a quick shot of magic to answer the phone.

“Regional Agent Twilight Sparkle.” I answered. I swear if Spike had the guts to pick up the other phone at my desk…

“It’s a real pity that I have to report this to you Twilight.” Brasshoof’s voice shook a swift wave of terror throughout my body.

“Equestrian Homeland Marshalls have taken over your case; our case.” There wasn’t a single piece of sorrow or anger in his voice as it raised an octave.

“Feds? Oh, I see.” I offered.

“Yes, you’ve been relieved of duty by some bonehead I can’t remember the name of…oh those Feds all look the same with their black vests and giant badges. I think they’re compensating for something if you know what I mean…” He rambled as he broke into a weak laugh.

“Thank you for informing me commissioner.” I said in a ‘goodbye-like’ voice.

“Oh, and your resignation does not take effect until two days from now. So if I find a case for you until then, you will complete it.” He claimed, voice dropping tremendously quickly.

“Well you see-“

“It’s a legality clause; look it up for all I care.” He interrupted.

A slight pause took over the conversation as I readied a comeback.

“Good day, pity about your case. I hope it works out. Plat said he’ll keep you in the loop…THAT was his name; Platinum.” He continued, sounding like he was going to ramble again.

I clicked the phone off with another delicate burst of magic and closed my eyes slowly.


I was not aware, up until now, that my bed was this warm and inviting. It’d been a day, I was sure about that. The night came and went, and the sun was once again trying shine through the thick black clouds. There was no rain though, just an overcast of clouds and fog. I hadn't slept, it was more like a delicate trance, that had taken over me for the past twenty-four hours.

But I knew what I had to do today, I wanted to see somepony. This was my mess that I handed to the Feds; it was my job to clean up the personal relations. The time for crying was over, I needed to act. There was no real chance the Feds would care to talk to any of my friends families; except to say that their daughter was charged with murder when they'd eventually figure it out

Convincing myself to get up was the hardest part, the love and warmth of something as inanimate as a blanket was comfort enough. But I had to do it, and not for my sake. Eventually as my mind wondered, I ripped the blanket of my torso and walked down the stairs to the door. I continued out the door despite the slight chill of temperature change. I was going to see Big Mac, and tell him what I knew; I could do it.

I pushed the door open and peered out towards the path to town. And to my ultimate surprise somepony was already coming.

It was just Spike and I’s house at this point in the path; so whoever it was, was defiantly coming to see me.

The path was somewhat short, there were only a few other houses closer to the town; neighbors to which I barely spoke to. The train station was at the end of the path, to which it then turned into the town of Ponyville.

“Oh, howdy der Twi!” He called out; the sheriff.

“Hello there sheriff.” I responded.

“How’s yer day?” He commented cheerfully.

“Yes, it’s going okay. What brings you around here?” I asked as he neared me.

“I jus’ wanted to make sure ye heard about thuse Feds takin’ over yer investigation.” He claimed, copping a genuine facial expression; replacing his usual joyous one.

“Yep, I guess we pissed off somepony real important.” I replied, elbowing him a little bit.

He actually chuckled a bit, “I guess, but I can’t none stand those Feds though. ‘T least you folks let us patroul the tape. But those blockheads told us to scram! Filthily lil’ bastards.” He exclaimed as nudged his holster.

“Sorry sheriff, you know how it is. Nothing I can do.” I said plainly.

“Thas right, I guess; the both of us.” He shuffled around for a moment as I purposely looked away to try and send a message that read something like 'please go away.' It was eventually well-received as Gunnery noticed my eyes wandering. “Welp, I’ll be seein’ ya I spose.” He said as he turned away back towards the town.

“Thanks for thinking of me!” I called out, realizing my shallowness.

“Anytime!” He called back.

I started to march perpendicular towards a lesser known path that looped around the town and towards the apple farm.

I peered into Spike’s house as I walked by the side of his house, but didn’t see him or any movement inside. I wouldn’t allow him to come on this journey anyways.

The path was barely recognizable, most likely due to its seldom use by anypony. I was hoping just to talk to Big Mac and no-pony else. No Applebloom, no Granny Smith, nopony else…I wasn’t ready. In fact, I really didn’t want to talk to anypony at all, but Big Mac deserved an explanation; not only as a witness, but as AJ’s brother.

The walk unfortunately involved many dodges to avoid branches and detours to go around certain obstacles. The path was clearly in disrepair, after all it really only served my purposes anyway. I continued on for a few minutes, thinking about how to greet Big Mac and how to end the conversation.

The trees, in due course, became straighter and were now growing apples; a clear sign I was nearing the farm. The walk wasn’t that much longer than going through town; but at this point I was willing to go hours out of my way just avoid town.

I suddenly realized that showing up unannounced like this could be a long-shot to try and talk to Big Mac. Big Mac really could’ve been anywhere on the property that spanned acres upon acres of land, or in town, or inside the house. However, I was sure of only one thing; that I had to find him. I aimlessly began to walk through a few rows of trees, stopping in silence to see if I could hear him bucking apples or whatnot. Time slowly passed after trudging through rows and rows of identical trees. For once I doubted my detective skills would help much here, plus they clearly weren’t working either.

Eventually I had to face facts that I was getting nothing; I’ll have to try the house at this point.

I neared the large farm house as it grew in size, suddenly stopping to see if I could see him wandering about. Still nothing to see, but I heard something this time. I tried to drown out the mixture of noises from the animals in the distance to try and locate Big Mac. The loud ‘oinks’ of the pigs were the worst, very abstract and sudden.

Eventually I saw him round the corner of the far side of the house, carrying a bucket in his mouth. This would be a great opportunity to talk, perhaps my only, seeing that he was alone. Hoping I wouldn’t scare him, I tried to wave in his direction from the trees.

His eyes grew a little, but clearly wasn’t startled as he noticed me.

“Twilight!?” He asked; quite confused.

“Big Mac, hi, I need to talk.” I stuttered.

“I’d say so.” He claimed, a hint of cockiness shining through.

“I know you’re hurting, I am too. But the short of it is that there’s nothing I can do anymore.” I stated, refusing to look him in the eye, but I could feel his hurt burning through me. He’d at least see that it took courage to say that. But it was admittedly awkward to say the least, and quite sudden.

“What? Why? What’s going on?” He asked, stereo-typically.

“Someponies above my pay-grade took over this investigation and I have no control over it anymore.” I chocked out.

Above your pay-grade!? Aren’t you, some-sort of Equestrian detective!?” He bellowed.

I prayed his voice wouldn’t attract Applebloom or anypony else.

“Well…I just wanted to tell you I’m out of the game. And as for Applejack, that wasn’t even my arrest.” I stumbled out the words.

“Oh that’s very comforting!” He shouted.

I’d never seen Big Mac so passionate, and I felt like telling him that until I realized how much pain he must’ve been through in the past days. But still, he was always a stallion of few words; even in stressful situations.

“I just felt like telling you, I didn’t want to offend you or anything.” I tried to recover.

“Sorry, I’m just a bit on edge because of my sister and now the only pony I can trust is now ‘out of the game!’” He lashed. Could he read my mind?

“I never said it was wrong to be on edge, how do you think I’ve felt the past few days.” I spoke calmly, trying not to match his anger.

“Apparently fine, considering you couldn’t do anything about my sister! And then trying to cover it up right in-front of my face; ‘that wasn’t even my arrest.’” He screamed, mocking my voice.

“I had a job to do, that’s not how it works Big Mac, and you know it.” I replied, my patience running very thin.

“There’s really nothing!? Deprivation of character!? Applejack wouldn’t have killed a fellow element of harmony! Pinkie Pie was like family here Twilight, so are all of you!” He exclaimed, eyes widening tremendously; but no tears.

“Big Mac, you’re making me feel worse than I already am; can’t you see I was trying!?” I exploded, suddenly unable to hold back.

But before he could respond another voice was heard.

“Big Mac, who ya talking to!?” A shrill voice called out from the other side of the house.

That was it, I couldn’t do it.

“Hey Twilight; where you going!?” Big Mac called out angrily as he watched me turn around and sprint back towards the path. He tried trotting after me, I think, but he quickly gave up and decided to instead watch me.

“And it’s defamation of character!” I screamed over my shoulder, unsure if he could still hear me.

My eyes swelled as more tears poured down my face. All there was to do was cry, sadness surrounded everypony I knew. I was sick of ending every conversation with a shouting match, fight, or me running away. A dark and deep thought entered the back of mind I can't run forever. I ran back through the path, nearly missing low hanging branches that could’ve clocked me into last week. The words repeated over and over again, pounding my head effortlessly.

My only option was Spike, he was all that was left.

The run back to our little patch of houses was much faster than the previous one, and involved much more thrashing and sprints. I was still not sure if Applebloom or Big Mac were following me; but it didn’t matter, I wasn’t going to let them see me like this.

Spike!” I screamed as loud as I could as I neared his house. I was assured he had to be somewhere in his house. I reached his front door and started to pound on it. “Spi-i-ike!” I yelled through the crying as best I could, voice cracking astonishingly.

“Dammit Twilight, what’s wrong!?” He exclaimed, appearing beside me out from behind his house; clearly scared but curious.

“I’ve fucked up! I was talking to Big Mac, and now it’s-“ I stuttered helplessly.

“Twilight, breath. Do it.” He demanded.

I continued to sob, as my tears began to drip off my face, I felt like a foal confessing to my mother after doing something horrible. It felt almost worse knowing that Spike probably felt like the mother.

“I’m not going to listen to you if you’re babbling nonsense.” He cooed.

“Sorry, I’d do the same.” Trying to assert my dominance; rather helplessly unfortunately. This was mostly due to the fact that I was still sniffling to try and regain my composure. The sniffling was to such an extent that I could no longer quite control it, it felt was like the world was spinning.

“I’m sure. Now you talked to Big Mac?” He asked, waving his claws trying to get me to talk.

“Yes, he wasn’t happy.” I stated, through what was left of my sniffles.

“And?” Spike prodded, wanting much more.

“Look, that’s not important anymore; what’s important is that I think I know what I can do to fix this…all of this.” I claimed, grasping Spike.

“I know, you want to, don’t you?”

“I always did.” I replied.

I turned and trudged across the path and slowly opened my door, shaking. I felt a slight chocking feeling, almost like I had to breathe manually to avoid dying of suffocation. Spike followed me inside, giving a hopeful glance as he stopped near the door.

I stared at my desk, the papers and phone idly thrown about the surface.

“Can I do this?” I asked myself, loudly.

It seemed like Spike once again knew exactly who the question was asked to, and didn’t respond.

I gave a loud sniff, and manually poked the call button and waited.

“Regional PD of the Greater Metropolitan; name and badge number?” Wave asked, with a shrill bored tone.

“Twilight Sparkle; S49021. We’re routing a call Wave.” I demanded.

“Glad to hear this is a team effort.” She responded; I could feel her grin through the line.

“Equestrian Homeland Marshall Platinum.” I declared.

“Try his case’s direct route first. I’m sure he’s on scene so try the MPO.” I immediately revised.

“One sec. Got it.” She said, and immediately clicked off.

Wave Scanner was a skilled pony, a wonderfully seasoned dispatcher of the Regional PD. A normal pony would take at least a minute to look up a Federal Agent’s case phone number by flipping through the record book. Wave was no normal pony though; in fact many of the dispatchers at any justice level were beyond any reference of ‘normal.’ The job required working in high stress level environments, incredible memory, quick-decision making, and long hours. Wave was clearly a master of her trade.

“This is Federal Agent Platinum.” A voice claimed through the speaker.

“It’s Twilight, Plat. Do you know where Buzzy’s Café is in Ponyville?” I asked quickly.

“Dammit no. Plus I’m not interested in a date right now.” He retorted with a chuckle.

“We need to talk now; it’s across from the train station, quiet joint. Get there now, don’t bring anypony else.”

“What if I’m busy?” He coaxed.

“Figure it out.” I growled, clicking the phone off.


Spike had not said anything since we left, but I think he wanted to tag along, so I nodded to him as I walked out the door. He seemed to take it as an invitation enough.

Buzzy’s was a quiet coffee and drink café on the outskirts of town. The only time they were busy was when a train came through and had ponies waiting on a layover. In fact, they were even audited a couple of months ago for a conspiracy investigation. They’d allegedly been altering conductor’s log books to show that they were out of hours by the time they got to Ponyville, forcing a long layover, and thus forcing the ponies to eat and drink somewhere. It ended up being buried after an investigation error, everypony was sure they’d done it though.

They had decent enough coffee though; I was a regular after all.

Upon approaching the building after a short walk, I found Platinum already outside sipping on something.

The agent was impossible to miss with those antlers he had. Like I remember, he had a thick platinum colored coat with a light brown mane. He was rather stocky, built like a deer would. Though, I doubted he was one-hundred percent deer, his antlers were the only real deer trait he possessed; he was pony everywhere else. Plus, it was rather uncommon for a purebred deer to live in Equestria anyways, they mostly inhabited Canadeer; like the name suggests.

He actually worked alongside my brother for some time in the military. He worked in the Royal Guard Criminal Investigation Command for a few years until he moved to the Homeland agency. That was really the only reason I knew him, I’d seen him with Shining a few times at stuffy and usually couth military banquets that I’d attended simply for the formality. It was an unfortunate disadvantage of being a military stallion's sister; attending banquets and officer ball's. Until a few years ago he told me that he’d moved to the Federal division.

“So Twilight, what’re we going on aboot?” He immediately questioned as I neared him. He obviously remembered me from some time ago. I was sure I'd see him at some point; Regional and Federal agents normally cross each other at least once a year, and an endless amount in a whole career.

“No formalities agent? Rude.” I teased.

“You didn’t seem too interested in formalities in either of our phoune conversations. Plus don’t you live here? You could’ve just popped in and visited me.” He pointed out.

“I suppose that’s true. I’m sorry. Plus I think I’ve had my fill of that crime scene.” I beckoned, trying to gauge if he knew the personal relation to the case.

Platinum gave me an odd look “Don’t worry aboot it.” He said slowly. I think he understood.

“It’s about the case I just gave to you.” I said awkwardly.

“Well that's fairly obvious. I thought I told your commissioner to say that I’d keep you infourmed. Well, I think I told one of his personalities.” He said with a confused tone, as he rubbed his antlers.

“I need back on this case.” I said hoarsely.

Platinum shot an odd look at me, finally meeting my eyes.

“Smooth, Twilight.” Spike piped up, as he sat next to Platinum.

“Whose side are you on?” I asked, repulsed.

Platinum chuckled “You know I can’t do that.” He claimed, as he tightened the tie that was neatly tucked in his vest.

“Well we’re going to figure out how.” I challenged.

He sipped from his cup once again and cleared his throat. “Well the first step in doing so is ‘why’?” He queried.

“Because this is my case.” I tried.

“Until you gave it to me. Try harder.” He said with caution.

“Because I have to solve it, they’re my friends.” I spoke without quiver.

“You know, I think that’s the first time you’ve ever said anything strongly and/or with passion.” Spike claimed, matter-of-factually.

“Passion is great Twilight, but you know I can’t tell my boss that.” He said, placing his hoof on the table.

“What about the ‘friends’ part?” I shot back.

“What aboot the ‘friends’ part? Twilight, what you’re asking is a logistical and bureaucratic nightmare. Do you know how suspicious and angry our divisions are going to get if I tell my commissioner ‘Yes hi, I’d like this investigation returned back to Twilight Sparkle? Yes I’m defiantly not falsifying or destroying any evidence, no sir’” He spat.

“And when this gets to the Federal Attorney’s? Complete Bullocks. The trial will be mistrial-ed six ways from here and back. ”

“What about-“

“Twilight I’m sorry you’ve made a mistake, or at least it seems that way; but there’s nothing I can do. In fact, you owe me! Because now I’ve got the entire Justice Department breathing down my neck waiting for me to slip up. Plus I’ve got every single Federal and Regional agent staring me douwn for hijacking your investigation; ‘You hijacked the famous Twilight Sparkle’s case!? How could you!? You’re trying to sell the best investigator short!?’ Oh, and these don’t help.” He exclaimed, pointing to his antlers.

“What about joint investigation? Federal-Regional joint investigation. You get the resources of both divisions with half the suspicion.” Spike suddenly suggested.

Platinum shook his head “Again, it’s a logistical nightmare, I can’t initiate that either.”

“Then I guess we’re going through your commissioner.” I said dryly.

“If you tell Diamond Salute that you want back in this investigation he’ll just tell you what I said and you knouw that!” Platinum bellowed.

“The worst he can say is ‘no.’” I coaxed as I turned back towards my house.

“Twilight wait!” He shouted, as he jumped out of the chair and trotted towards me.

I turned slowly; I had him right where I wanted him. “Yes?” I asked with an obvious blink.

His face soured as he realized my plan “Look, you got me alright? I’ve been ordered to let you back on the investigation if you approached me about it.” He whispered almost inaudibly.

“Orders from the top. But, I’m still leading it; you’re taking a back-seat.” He barked.

“You’re still leading?” I asked, eyes narrowing.

“Get one of these and then try and take it over.” He shouted, as he levitated his federal badge near my face.

“Should I phone Diamond just to make sure?” I asked, copping an innocent tone.

“I’m sure that won’t be necessary.” He replied, monotone. “We’re meeting at Federal HQ in two hours, be there.” He stated.

“I’ll see you there.” I said, completing my tirade with a silly wave; to which Platinum responded with a chin flick.

Spike suddenly hopped out of his seat and simply approached me without a word. We walked for a moment, eventually out of Platinum’s view.

“You’re a good detective.” He stated.

“Psh, it was nothing. He’s a typical stag; he’s smart and quick, but he’s too proud to make the right decision sometimes.” I quipped.

“Oh so it was easy?” He asked.

I said nothing, much to Spike’s surprise, as we approached our houses.

"So what did just happen?" Spike asked, still confused.

"Spike, sometimes you've just got to keep going, whether you've been pleasantly or unpleasantly surprised."I answered willfully.

Author's Note:

As usual, thanks for reading!

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment