• Published 31st Mar 2016
  • 475 Views, 5 Comments

Life's Inequities - CrystalHopeDragon



Sunburst's and Starlight's first public speeches.

  • ...
1
 5
 475

Mistakes

"Um, hello. My name is Starlight Glimmer, and I am a reformed villian." The mare on the stage was fidgety, obviously not comfortable with where she was at. Neither was the audience at the moment though. They had come for a lecture from the Princess of Friendship's new pupil, and this was the opening?

"Look, no one is perfect; we all make mistakes. Some of us more than others. The funny part though? Mistakes can be a good thing. You learn from mistakes. They teach you things that pure success and progress can never teach you. They show you both the best and worst parts of your own personality. Particularly when your mistakes create wide scale havoc."

Taking a deep breath, she continued.

"My mistake? I took one moment of pain from my childhood and let it fester into a destructive need. I misdirected my anger not at the event itself, not at me or the friend that hurt me, but at cutie marks. I spent the next few years of my life building a...a cult without cutie marks. It took more than just a slap upside the head and a mutiny to show me where I went wrong. After all: the bigger the mistake the harder it is to admit you were wrong. You shouldn't fear mistakes though. Seeing when you've messed up and learning when to stop can help you grow faster than anything else.

I'm not saying you should intentionally make mistakes; if you know something is wrong or will go wrong, avoid it. Do your best to be the best you that you can be! Still, don't fear the mistakes you have already made. Don't ignore them, and don't fear making more of them. They are a part of life, and if you truly learn from them you will be forgiven for them. The mistakes of the past help shape our future, they help us grow and improve. It may be hard to face, but don't ignore you past. It will help you grow stronger, smarter; just as it has helped me."

She ran from the stage. She wasn't as ashamed of her past anymore, but that doesn't mean it was easy to admit in front of a crowd. The crowd was cheering, she could hear it as she ran. It made it a bit better, but she wasn't going to stop. She may not be running from her mistakes anymore, but that didn't mean she had to look the world in the eye when admitting them. They better have learned something from this, because it wasn't easy-and if she has her way, she won't be doing it again anytime soon. She hated public speaking.

Comments ( 3 )

When is the next chapter coming out?! :raritystarry: :pinkiehappy:

This is great. I wish someone from my graduation said this to me... :twilightsmile:

It is said that you learn more from your mistakes than from your success. Good chapter, it's fitting for Starlight to talk about this.
Just wondering if both Starlight and Sunburst are speaking in the same event? Or are these separate occasions?

Login or register to comment