• Published 27th Aug 2019
  • 6,078 Views, 479 Comments

Chaotic Harmony: Do Over - shirotora



A human finds himself in Equestria where other humans - turned into one of the various native races - have been living for hundreds of years.

  • ...
29
 479
 6,078

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 29: Chitty Chitty

Author's Note:

So, I would have had this out several weeks ago, but that evil bitch Life decided to show up.

“Sadly, all we really found that could have possibly been related to ‘Gaea’s Thorn’ in books have been fables,” Twilight explained as she poured the tea.

We moved to the kitchen as the main room still smelled of bleach after cleaning up our... mess.

“Anythin’ not from books?” I asked.

“I tried a few magic scans,” Twilight said. “I’m still not very good with divine magic, but I was able to get a little information. As far as I can tell, this weapon possesses adaptive enchantments. What it can do changes, but I’m not sure how or why.”

I sighed and leaned back. “So, in other words, you don’t know what it can do because it can’t do it yet?”

Twilight thought about it for a bit before speaking again. “Something like that. More than likely, it’s one of two possibilities. The first is that what it can do either depends on the situation. The second and most likely is that it depends on the one bonded to it.”

“So, Ah’m goin’ to have to figure out what it can do,” I summed up.

“Through good old fashion trial and error,” Twilight finished.

I groaned. I was hoping for a little less mystery.

Twilight noticed my irritation and tried to cheer me up. “Well, if nothing else, you still have your new toy your demon friend made you. The-”

I quickly clamped her mouth shut. “Shh! Ah still haven’t revealed that.”

She gave me a look reserved only for Pinkie and me before rolling her eyes and forcing my paw off her muzzle. “Whatever. So, what are you going to do?”

“Ah’m goin’ to go practice with this thing,” I said. “Ah don’t know if you noticed, but this is a very unusual weapon. Ah need to get a feel for usin’ it.”

I took up Gaea’s Thorn and wrapped it around my neck.

“That is so cool,” Twilight said. “If I could just figure out that one feature, I could do so much with it.”

I gave her a pat on the back. “Don’t worry, none. Before long, you’ll be able to make your own divine elements.”

Twilight chuckled. “If mom ever decided to actually teach me.”

“Didn’t you say you can’t be ‘taught’ divine magic, seein’ as every god is different?” I asked.

Twilight rolled her eyes. “First, I’m a demigod. I won’t actually ascend to full godhood for several more years. Heck, Shiney still hasn’t ascended. Second, I said using divine magic can’t be taught. Summoning bifrost can be. That bit’s the same no matter who you are. Even heralds do it the same way.”

I wasn’t exactly sure what that was, but I also didn’t really care. “Well, why won’t she?”

Twilight sighed. “She says she wants me to get a better idea of what my domains will be.”

“Oh, that’s simple,” I said. “Books and adorkableness.”

“Hey, books I can understand, but clearly my second will be OCD or panic attacks,” she countered.

“OCD caused panic attacks?” I offered.

Twilight giggled. “There it is. Now that that’s figured out, I’ll go ahead and ask mom to schedule the lessons.”

We shared a laugh before I got to my feet. “It’s been fun, but Ah have stuff to see and ponies to do.”

“Oh, so I didn’t satisfy you?” she teased.

I grinned. “Not in the slightest.”

“Oh, that’s it!” she got up and chased me out of the kitchen and out the front door, both of us laughing like idiots.


I took off my necklace,the divine element growing into the large double bladed weapon as three pairs of eyes watched in wide eyed amazement.

“Woah!” Scootaloo exclaimed. “That’s so awesome!”

It was time for the weekly Junior Rangers leadership meeting. Usually we would use this to talk about whatever events were coming up and plan the week’s activities, but I couldn’t help showing off a bit. We were still waiting on an official building, which Mare Mare was trying to get approval for, but until then we usually met at my house.

“It’s gotta be the most powerful of them elements,” Applebloom reasoned. “Ah mean, it came from Gaea, right? She’s, like, the queen of queens, ain’t she?”

I chuckled. “As much as Ah wish it was, Ah doubt it’s even close. The Elements of Harmony are the most powerful.”

“Well, yeah, but those are six elements, so each of them is only a sixth of that power, right?” Sweetie asked.

“Actually, there are seven Elements of Harmony,” I said.

Applebloom furrowed her brow. “Wait, seven?”

Scootaloo gasped, as if she just made the ultimate realization. “Oh my gosh! This is the seventh Element of Harmony!”

I let out a bark of laughter. “What? No! That wouldn’t even make sense. You need all of them to activate. If this was one of them your sisters wouldn’t have been able to use them.”

“But they only had six, didn’t they?” Sweetie asked.

I smiled and sat down, returning my weapon to necklace form. “Well, yes and no. You see, the Elements of Harmony are so powerful because they channel pure divine magic straight from the ethereal plane. Five of the elements channel the magic, the ones wielded by your sisters, Pinkie, and Fluttershy, while the sixth, Twilight’s, guide it. The seventh element, however, is arguably the most important, as it’s the one that draws the divine magic from the ethereal plane. The seventh element doesn’t need a bearer, and is hidden away somewhere where no one will even find it.”

“It’s probably under Everfree Castle,” Applebloom said.

“It is,” I said with a smirk, holding out a picture of me posing in front of a massive, tree-like crystal.

“Somewhere no one will find it, huh?” Sweetie asked with a chuckle and a shake of her head.

The three looked at the picture for a bit.

“That’s pretty neat,” Scootaloo said. “So, do you know a lot about divine elements? Is it true there’s one that makes infinite fondue?”

“There isn’t one that makes infinite fondue. That’s just dumb,” Sweetie said with an eye roll.

“The Fountain of Dionysus,” I said with a sagely nod.

Scootaloo gave Sweetie a triumphant smirk while Sweetie just looked confused.

“Wait, you’re sayin’ that an actual god, one of the most powerful beings in existence, made a divine element, an artifact with a sliver of their very soul... for cheese?” Applebloom asked, just as confused as her friend.

“A truly noble cause,” I said, wiping a tear from my cheek.

“What other divine elements do you know about?” Sweetie asked.

I leaned back and relaxed so they could bask in my knowledge. “Well, there’s the Aegis of Athena, the Mythril Anvil, the Crystal Heart, the Sword of Akatosh, the Alicorn Amulet, Modron’s Clock, the Caduceus-”

I was interrupted by Sweetie, walking by with a book floating in front of her face. “The Rod of Division, the Sun Forged Blade... Doctor Choppy?”

Scootaloo pointed an accusing hoof at the book. “Ah ha! You cheater! You read all that in a book.”

Applebloom rolled her eyes. “Duh, how else is he gonna know all that?”

Scootaloo opened her mouth to reply but froze for a moment before saying, “I rescind my objection.”

“Gaea’s Thorn really isn’t in here,” Sweetie said. “Are you sure it’s a real divine element?”

I nodded, taking the necklace off but not growing it. “Take a look. You see how it seems to shine with a rainbow hue? That’s divine magic. You’ve met the princesses, right? It’s the same reason their coats shine like that.”

Sweetie nodded. “So it really is a new element, then.”

“Probably not new,” I said, putting it back on again. “It probably just hasn’t been seen for a long time.”

“That’s still pretty awesome! This makes you so much cooler, and you were already super cool!” Scootaloo said.

“Cooler than Rainbow Dash?” I asked, teasingly.

“M-maybe,” Scootaloo said, reluctantly. “Just... don’t tell her I said that.”

Sweetie Belle and Applebloom gave her a knowing look, to which she returned a look of her own. As can only be done between close friends, an entire conversation seemed to pass like that until all three were looking like they each had something to hide.

“Okay... Ah wasn’t aware you three were psychic,” I said. “Anythin’ you want to share?”

“No!” all three said at once.

I glanced between all three before just shaking my head. “Alright, well, enough dawdlin’. Let’s get down to business. First up, Jynx made some pretty useful devices just for the Junior Rangers...”


Later that afternoon, I was just finishing my meal when a knock came from my door. I snapped my fingers and the door flipped, depositing my dizzy visitor in my living room.

Twilight shook her head to regain her senses. “I see you’re starting to use your magic more. Or was that a special occasion.”

“Nah, just a whim,” I said. “Hungry?”

Twilight smiled and said, “No thank you. I already ate.”

“Aright then. To what do Ah owe the pleasure?” I asked.

“I got a letter from Jynx, sent through Spike,” she explained. “She said she had a breakthrough and wanted to share it with us. She asked us to come by the train station at six.”

I glanced at the clock. That was in about twenty minutes. “Alright. Did it say anything else?”

“Only to get Rainbow Dash and Applejack,” Twilight replied.

I looked at her in confusion. “Rainbow Dash Ah can understand. They’re family, so she might be interested, but Applejack?”

Twilight looked as baffled by that as me. “Yeah, I’m not sure what she could be working on that would be of interest to AJ, either.”

“Well, let’s say we find out?” I said. “Let me finish up here while you go get the others.”

“Alright. We’ll meet you at the train station,” Twilight said before teleporting away.


I was already waiting when the others arrived. Rainbow flew up beside me, looking at the bag of candy I was munching on.

“Real or snapped?” she asked.

I split the bag in half, leaving me with two bags the exact same size as the original, and tossed one to Rainbow.

“Snapped it is,” she said as she started munching on the imaginary snack.

Applejack just raised an eyebrow, questioningly, so I did the same for her.

She looked at the package. “This is one of them magic ones that don’t really exist, right?”

I nodded and she dug in. “Wow, that’s pretty darn good for not bein’ real.”

The train’s whistle cut off any further conversation as the engine came chugging up to the station. The four of us moved onto the platform, standing a little ways back so as to not get in the way of those getting off or on.

The doors opened, and eight eyes scanned the crowd for my wife. I spotted Filthy Rich, back from Manehattan, Lemon Hearts and Minuette, probably visiting Lyra again, and Mr Cake with what I was guessing was Mrs Cake’s anniversary gift.

“Where is she?” Twilight asked.

We waited and watched until the conductor called all aboard, the doors shut, and the train started to pull away.

“Did... did she miss it?” I asked.

“No way,” Rainbow said. “She would have sent a letter. I mean, if she got the princess to send one before, she could have done it again.”

We all started shuffling off the platform, confused as to what could have happened.

“I’ll send a letter to mom, see if she-” Twilight was interrupted by the sound of a horn.

We looked down the road to see a light heading our way.

With the hum of magic and the whine of mechanical parts, the light gave way to something I didn’t think I would ever see functional, again; a car.

It wasn’t like any car on Earth, of course. It was made for quadrupeds and had a magical engine rather than internal combustion, but it was unmistakable.

And in the driver’s seat was none other than the missing mare, herself.

“Sup, bitches,” Jynx greeted with a smug grin. “Like my new ride?”

Twilight sighed in that way you do when you realize something you didn’t before. “Your letter said to be at the train station, not that you’d be on the train.”

“So, Ah take it this was why you ran off so suddenly?” I asked. “You finally realized how to finish this thing.”

For the past several months, Jynx had been trying to figure out a way to use crystal magic to make a magic engine. She had the car already made, but the engine just wasn’t working. At least, not until then.

“That’s right,” Jynx said. “I was suddenly hit with an epiphany. It turns out, I just had to blah, blah blah. Magic mumbo jumbo. Blah blah.”

Okay, maybe that last bit isn’t exactly what she said, but with how much I actually understood, it might as well have been.

Twilight, though, fave hoofed. “Of course. It’s so simple!”

“That was simple?” Applejack asked for all of us.

“It is when you’re as awesomely genius as us,” Jynx said. “So, Applejack, what do you think?”

AJ just looked confused. “Uh... Ah guess it’s kinda neat. Why?”

Jynx just smiled as she said, “Because this one is for you.”

AJ’s eyes shot wide in surprise. “Uh... come again?”

“Well, the main reason I’ve been working on these has been to transport goods long distances, and seeing as you deliver apples far and wide, I figure who better to test it,” Jynx explained. “I’ll teach you how to operate it tomorrow, then you can make Equestria’s first delivery by automobile by next week.”

PreviousChapters Next