• Published 27th Aug 2019
  • 6,062 Views, 479 Comments

Chaotic Harmony: Do Over - shirotora



A human finds himself in Equestria where other humans - turned into one of the various native races - have been living for hundreds of years.

  • ...
29
 479
 6,062

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 34: There Wolf, There Castle

Author's Note:

I was going to post this tomorrow, but Horizon: Forbidden West is coming out, so I'll probably be busy. Also, someone better get the title reference, or I'll be very disappointed.



I'm broke. Gimme money. https://www.patreon.com/Shirotora



Please :fluttercry:

“That was a fantastic breakfast,” Birch Seed said as he took up his plate. “Thank you.”

He slept on the couch.

I may have accepted his and Jynx’s relationship, but I was not going to allow any hanky panky between the two around me. Maybe one day, but that day was far in the future. I know, it was kinda hypocritical, but it wasn't exactly founded in logic. I couldn't just decide how to feel about something.

“Well, thank you for bein’ so understandin’ about this,” I said. I really was grateful, too. I may have been adamant about them keeping it away from me, but I was grateful that he was so accepting of it.

“And, thank you for allowing it at all,” Birch said. “Few terrans would have.”

“Well, we better get going before we miss our train,” Jynx said.

We decided on making Monday their date night, seeing as Jynx often stayed the night in Canterlot on Mondays, anyway. It was the busiest day for her, as she had to grade weekend homework as well as check on whatever experiments were left stewing over the weekend.

Jynx gave me a kiss. “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Ah’ll be countin’ the minutes,” I said.

Birch opened the door for Jynx and said, “Have a wonderful day, Shiro.”

“You too,” I replied. “Have fun fuckin’ mah wife.”

Birch tripped on the door frame.

“Don’t be a dick!” Jynx called as the door shut behind them.

“You love mah dick!” I called back.

I watched her go for a few seconds before heading back inside. I cleaned up real quick and decided to go out for a quick walk before work. As soon as I stepped outside, I was assaulted by colors.

“So, what’s he like?” Rainbow demanded.

“Who? Birch Seed?” I asked.

“If that’s even his real name,” Rainbow said, suspiciously.

I chuckled. “He seems pretty cool, actually.”

“Really?” Rainbow asked, incredulously. “Cool enough for my sister?”

I rolled my eyes. “No, but who is? Other than me, anyway.”

Rainbow hummed in contemplation. “Good point. Is he at least above average?”

“He’s about as close to good enough as anyone Ah’ve met,” I said. “Ah gave them mah blessin’.”

Rainbow’s eyes shot wide. “Seriously? Wow...”

“Yeah,” I said. We were silent for a moment to let it sink in. “Jynx’s goin’ to be stayin’ the night in Canterlot every Monday, from now on.”

“Oh...”Rainbow averted her eyes. “So... does that mean... I know Holiday filled out those forms, so-”

“No,” I said, cutting her off. “So, what about you. You ever going to find someone?”

Rainbow scoffed. “They’d have to be at least seventy-five percent as cool as me, and I have yet to meet one... well, other than you, but you’re a bro, so...”

“And married to your sister,” I added.

Rainbow waved it off. “Nah, she’d be cool if we dated. We just aren’t dating compatible.”

“True,” I said. “Ah kinda like what we got goin’ on.”

“Speaking of which,” Rainbow said, smirking. “Got time for a quick screw?”

“Let’s make it quick,” I said, dragging her inside.


Cedric soared through the open air, dragging his now empty delivery cart behind him.

Never in his life would he have ever thought he would actually enjoy being a delivery boy. Of course, he never would have thought he'd have wings that let him fly under his own power, either.

He wished he could share this with everyone he left behind. He knew they would have loved it in Equestria.

He sighed, trying to push those thoughts away. He could wait until tomorrow to talk to his therapist. It wouldn't do him any good to be all mopey when he got back to Sugarcube Corner.

He couldn't help but smile at the thought of seeing Pinkie again. She had become his rock in the emotional storm, his best friend. Then there was Shiro, Rarity, Rainbow, and Big Mac. All in all, he actually had it better here than he did on Earth, even if it still hurt to have lost what he did.

Still, with the thoughts of his friends, he managed to banish the storm clouds that threatened to overtake him and came in for a landing with a smile on his face.

As soon as he landed, Mister Cake came out to greet him and help take the harness off.

"I trust there was no problems?" He asked.

"Not one," Cedric replied.

"I swear, you have to be the only pegasus that can travel as far as you do and never get harassed, even by something like wing darts," Mister Cake said with a chuckle.

"Well, I'm a bright, shimmery red. That usually means 'danger' in the animal kingdom," Cedric said. "Plus, I look like a big, flying ruby. They probably think they'll break a tooth."

Mister Cake laughed. "Well let's hope they don't try and find out. Pinkie's inside, if you want to talk to her."

"Sure. Thanks," Cedric said before following Mister Cake inside.

"Hey, Cedric," Pinkie greeted as he stepped into the kitchen. "How was your trip?"

"Whisper sends her love," Cedric said.

"Aww, she's so sweet," Pinkie said.

Cedric settled into his new routine, telling Pinkie about his trip while assisting her. He wasn't much of a cook, but he could fetch whatever she needed like a pro.

As he spoke, Pinkie suddenly started to shiver and convulse. Cedric had been around her enough to know that wasn't epilepsy.

As if to confirm that, Cedric's bracelet began to vibrate.

A shiver of fear shot down his spine. He hadn't been part of the Rangers for long, and had only really dealt with a few small critters. To get a call right after Pinkie's Pinkie Sense went off…

Pinkie looked at him, her own fear plain as day. "Don't… please."

"I… I have to," Cedruc said. "Don't worry. Now I know it's serious, so I'll be ready. Besides, I'll have Shiro and Rainbow beside me."

"Tell them, too," Pinkie pleaded. "Be careful."


I rushed through town, heading toward the problem. Ponies took the hint and started heading for cover. They knew what it meant when they saw a heavily armed tiger running through town.

It didn't take long for Rainbow to join me.

"What do you think it is this time?" She asked. "A giant tatzelwurm? Oh, maybe a rampaging hydra?"

"Let's hope it's just a manticore or timberwolf," I said.

"Doubtful," came Cedric's voice as he caught up. "Pinkie's Pinkie Sense went off."

Even Rainbow started looking worried at that as we approached our destination.

As it turned out, I was actually right. It was just a timberwolf that we were called to. Though, I had a feeling it was the being standing over its corpse that was the cause of Pinkie's warning.

A Werewolf.

They weren't like the myths on Earth, though. There was no curse involved and no full moons. They were simply anthropomorphic wolves. In fact, there was a werewolf pack not far from Ponyville, the Diamond Dogs. Yeah, the ones from the show, only they didn't look like gorillas with dog heads.

He flicked the sap from his sword as he looked up at me. I had seen a few werewolves around Ponyville, but none like this one. They usually only ever wore belts or a vest, much like ponies or myself. This one, though, wore a chainmail shirt with a leather gambasin over it, and, of course, the sword in his hands.

And he wasn't alone.

Dozens more emerged from the woods, all equipped for war.

"Rainbow Dash," I said in a low tone. "Go back and warn Ponyville. Tell everyone to get to shelter. Threat level red."

"I…" she started, obviously wanting to argue, but even she wasn't so stubborn as to ignore the simple fact that it would be impossible for us to keep them all at bay. "You die, and I'll kill you."

"Jynx gets first dibs," I replied.

Rainbow hesitated for a moment before launching off back to town.

The lead werewolf barked out, "Reno, Val, with me. The rest of you, get what we came for."

Before I could even say something, he and two others charged Cedric and I while the rest ran past.

Thinking fast, I grabbed the first spell I could on my belt. I didn't even have time to check what it was before activating it. The pouch burned up as the stored arcane energy took form and blasted out in a wave of force.

The leader leaped to the side, but the one to his right wasn't fast enough and took the full force of the spell. He was sent flying like a doll in a hurricane.

I didn't even have time to hope he was taken out before the leader was upon me. I barely got my sword out in time to stop him from burying his weapon into my shoulder.

I thrust my other hand at his gut, forming a sword with my bracer. He spun away, but not before taking a grazing cut across the side.

"Very sneaky," the werewolf said before charging again.

I could hear Cedric and the third wolf fighting, but I didn't have an opportunity to look to see how he was doing.

I had to trust that he could at least hold his own. He had gotten really good, really quick, but these were trained warriors. I wasn't sure how well he would fare against them.

I just had to trust him. He could take one of these guys, easy, I was sure.

I managed to pull my axe in my left hand and went at the werewolf with sword and axe. I hailed down a flurry of blows, yet he dodged or deflected all of them with relative ease before flicking his wrist and knocking my axe out of my paw.

Damn, this guy is good.


"Code red! Code red!" Rainbow shouted as she flew through town. "Bandit attack!"

"Bandits?" Applejack asked. "You sure? There ain't been bandits in these parts in dang near a century."

"Whatever they are, they're werewolves and they're attacking," Dash shouted. "If anyone's at the farm, get there and make sure they're safe."

"Ain't gotta tell me twice," Applejack said as she turned and ran off, abandoning her apple stand.

Rainbow turned to the gathering crowd. "Anyone that can fight, with me! Everyone else, get to a shelter! Junior Rangers, get them there!"

"Aye aye, Rainbow Dash," Scootaloo said with a salute before turning to the crowd. "Alright, ponies, just like the drills. Move fast, but move careful. Don't be afraid to ask for help!"

Seeing that her young friend had that covered, she turned to the ponies that were staying.

"Arm yourselves with whatever you can," she shouted. A couple started drawing summoning sigils and pulling weapons.

An irate mailmare stepped forward, spear in hoof. "Anyone that threatens my Muffin won't have time to be sorry."

"Here here," Missus Cake said, wielding a large kitchen knife with several more strapped to a belt.

Rainbow could already see several werewolves rushing toward them. "Here they come!"

Several flashes of light came from the crowd as the Twilight and Lyra cast protection spells on everyone, finishing moments before the invaders reached them.

The first werewolves leaped at the closest ponies, attacking with sword, axe, mace, and claw. To the wolves surprise, every one of them was blocked, deflected, or dodged without even a single scratch, and it wasn't just because of the protection spells.

Ponyville was the most regularly attacked village in Equestria. As such, the ponies that call it home were tougher than the average pony. While most of them were still no good in a fight, it meant a higher than average number of ponies had some kind of experience in dealing with danger.

They were by no means trained warriors, but for a pony that dealt with creatures that could kill with a single touch, learning to not get touched was lesson number one.

A strong right hook from Carrot Top left one wolf with a bottom jaw that decided to get closer to his ear. A drop kick from Rainbow ensured the pain wouldn't be a problem for him.

Thunderlane sparred with a werewolf, sword to sword, though, admittedly, the wolf's was in better condition than Thunder's old heirloom.

A blur, slammed into the charging werewolves' back line in a dervish of gray, blonde, and voidsteel red. Derpy was probably the only pony Rainbow Dash would admit to being afraid of, especially when Dinky was involved. Rainbow Dash doubted most of her comrades could ever kill, but already the first fatality laid at the usually cheerful Derpy's hooves, dead from a spear through the throat.

"Yeah, we got this, no sweat!" Rainbow Dash cheered.

Then the fires started.


The leader lunged at me, so I leaped back, engulfing my body in silver fire and setting it in place, leaving a fire clone in his path. He had to pull back, halting his assault.

I used the distraction to draw a lightning spell and fired through my fire clone. The werewolf created a bubble shield, somehow, deflecting the bolt. Still, it gave me enough time to gather my thoughts.

I needed a plan. I needed some kind of strategy to beat this guy. I needed… the unconscious body of the other wolf to fly into him.

I looked up to see Cedric panting, sporting a couple cuts but grinning triumphantly.

"Nice! Hey, keep this guy off me for a second, will you?" I requested.

"Can do," Cedric said and landed between me and my foe.

Now, with more than a second, I began to draw a sigil with my silver flames. It was finally time to take my personal weapon for its maiden fight.


Cedric squared off against the werewolf boss. The guy looked pissed, and Cedric had to wonder if he bit off more than he could chew. Hopefully, it wouldn't take more than a few seconds.

In the meantime, he would have to rely on his speed. He caught glimpses of Shiro’s fight, and knew he was faster, but he was also a novice.

The leader leaped at him, sword poised for a powerful overhead chop. Cedric braced for impact, but it never came. Instead, he twisted to the side and tried to go around him, intent on getting to Shiro to stop whatever he was doing.

Cedric used his wings to propel himself around and thrust his spear at the wolf, who was forced to halt his advance to defend himself.

The wolf knocked the spear aside and quick-stepped inside Cedric's guard, swinging at his throat. It was only Cedric's pegasus speed that kept his head attached, though a few hairs on his chin weren't so lucky.

Cedric spun his spear, trying to bludgeon his enemy with the shaft, but the wolf managed to deflect the blow with his left bracer enough to duck underneath the blow.

The werewolf recovered quickly and thrust his sword at Cedric's gut. Cedric was still off balance and his wings were busy trying to stabilize him. He couldn't avoid the blow.

A quarter second from death, Cedric heard a humming sound rapidly increase in both volume and pitch before a bolt of arcane light slammed into the wolf, throwing him several feet through the air.

Cedric turned to see Shiro, standing there, pointing his arm at where the wolf was, with a still smoking cannon attached to the top of his bracer.

"You got a fucking arm canon?!" Cedric asked, incredulously.

Shiro grinned. "Damn right. Now, head back to town. Ah got this from here."

PreviousChapters Next