• Published 27th Dec 2015
  • 13,197 Views, 222 Comments

You Did Something to Make Her Love You - MixA4



[EqG] When Rainbow Dash injures herself, you step in to help. As it turns out, your selflessness catches her eye..

  • ...
16
 222
 13,197

Thursday

You did Something to make Her Love You
Chapter Four
By MixA4

Thursday. You've always held resentment for this day of the week, even more so than Monday. However today, as you grab a few books from your locker, you find yourself humming a delightful tune, pleasantly anticipating the day ahead of you.

"Let's see, Biology, Anatomy, Geometry, what am I forgetting?" You mutter silently. "Am I forgetting anything?"

"Excuse me," You look up from your apoca-locker and see Nurse Redheart, the school's nurse, standing in front of you with folded arms. "Do you know where Rainbow Dash is?"

"Uh, no, sorry. I haven't seen her today." You reply.

"Well, when you do run into her, could you tell her I need my book back?" She asks. "She agreed to return it this morning."

"Yeah, sure." You say. The Nurse leaves without another word.

When you run into her? How does she know you and Dash have been spending time together? Does the entire school know? You shrug it off and finish packing your backpack.



Your first two classes pass mostly without incident. A surprise test in anatomy keeps you on your toes, while a geometry lecture makes you regret your very existence. However monotonous these classes are though, they do lead up to your most anticipated part of the day: Lunchtime. Specifically, lunchtime with Dash. Today, as you pick up a salad and a carton of questionably packaged milk, you make no delay to sit with Rainbow Dash and her friends. Rainbow smiles as you take a seat next to her; you unbox your salad and begin picking through spinach leaves and bits of cabbage.

"With the Sadie's dance happening in just a few days, we get to close off the gym and start preparing for everything! I've already got music, banners, tables, and seats set up!" Pinkie Pie says. After spending a couple days around her, you've learned to understand her high speed dialect a bit better. "I'm trying to talk Principal Celestia into letting me bring my Party Cannon to the dance!"

"Now Pinkie, I really wouldn't advise bringing that thing to the dance." Rarity comments. "Remember what happened at the Christmas Celebration?"

"I know, I know, I learned my lesson; no packing the cannon with hard candies!"

An image of students getting blasted with candy-cane salvo pops into your head. You can't help but chuckle.

"Besides, I have an even better idea for what to fill the cannon with!" Pinkie Pie says. Rarity rolls her eyes.

"Well, what are going to fill it with?" Applejack asks between bites of an apple.

"I can't tell you yet, that's a secret for the dance!" Pinkie grins.

"Just make your secret won't prompt calling an ambulance." Sunset Shimmer comments.

"Speaking of which," Applejack cuts in. "Granny has to go to the doctor sometime next week. She keeps getting chest pains whenever she does work around the farm."

"And it goes away whenever she rests, right?" You ask.

"Uh, yeah?" Her gaze lands on you. "How'd you know that?"

"It sounds like Angina to me." You comment, stuffing more spinach in your mouth. Then, all eyes are on you, like you made a really inappropriate joke. "What? Angina Pectoris? It's a cardiac condition where the heart's demand for oxygen exceeds its supply! I didn't make these terms, I just know them."

"Uh, okay, well either way, it's still scaring us. We don't know what will happen." Applejack says.

"She'll probably be prescribed nitroglycerin for the pain, it's not too much to worry about. Angina is a rather common condition." You say, looking for more croutons in your salad.

"Huh." Applejack stares at you for a moment, she seems to relax slightly. "Well, alright, I suppose. I just don't want her heart to give out on her."

"Hey Blu, are Paramedics the guys on TV who shock you when your heart completely stops?" Pinkie asks. "I mean it seems really cool how you just shock someone back to life, but wouldn't that hurt? It is an electrical shock after all."

"Well, actually-"

"Actually, Pinkie Pie," Rainbow Dash cuts you off. "Technicians and paramedics are only trained to defibrillate the heart when you're in ventricular tachycardia or ventricular fibrillation." Suddenly, everyone is staring at Rainbow Dash. "In the case of asystole or pulseless electrical rhythm, you shouldn't shock the patient, because the heart isn't moving; there's no rhythm to restart. Instead, you perform CPR until the heart has enough oxygen to restart it's rhythm, then defibrillate them if they're still in a lethal rhythm. Shocking a patient whose heart isn't beating will only serve to injure them further, although if they are in a lethal rhythm like asystole, they're probably not coming back anyways."

Everyone is completely silent, frozen in their position, staring at Rainbow Dash as if an alien burst out of her chest. Even Pinkie Pie, who's normally spouting complete nonsense is now totally silent. Their stares eventually come to rest back on to you, expecting a reaction. You look from face to face, Dash is just giving you the same victorious grin she gave you during the dodgeball match.

"Well, she's right!" You finally say, picking up a leaf of spinach. "Don't shock the bastard if his heart isn't beating!"



Lunch eventually returns to chit-chat between the girls, but Rainbow Dash never loses the sly grin. Applejack keeps flashing you expressions of 'I told you so', but you mostly just ignore her. Lunch eventually ends, but before you can walk off, Rainbow Dash stops you and pulls you into a big hug.

"Have a great day." She whispers before breaking away. The gesture is enough to make you start smiling warmly as you head to another gym class.



Gym passes rather quickly with a few different sports-related games, and Biology was just lecture about the role of ATP in living cells. Finally, it's time to head home for the day. With your backpack slung over your shoulder, you head out through the back of the school and start the short trek home. As you walk by the track, you spot someone taking a position to run. Rainbow Dash, with her leg now fully healed, is stretching out for a run. You watch as she gets ready, adopting a running stance; in the blink of an eye, she's sprinting at top speed around the track. Her legs are a blur as she rounds the first bend within mere seconds. Her speed only picks up as she flies rounds another bend. She's already got half of the track cleared, and it's barely been a minute! She rounds the third bend, giving you a clear view of her determined grin and hyperfocused stare. She glances in your direction, and her expression changes to shock - at which point she trips over her own feet and rolls for a couple yards. Worry ensues on your part, prompting you to run over to her crumpled form.

"Dash! Are you okay?" You ask, looking for signs of injury. Rainbow Dash just begins laughing.

"Coming to save me once again, aren't you Blu?" She sits up and gives you a smile. You don't see any apparent signs of injury, aside from a few scuffs around her knees.

"Pfft, with the lesson you gave everyone on defibrillation, I don't think you need me anymore!" You joke.

"Aww, Blu," Dash gives you a sugar-sweet smile. "You know I'll always need you around." Once again, you find yourself failing to resist a big, dumb smile.

"Are you alright, though?" You ask, helping her to her feet.

"Yeah, I just didn't know you were watching me, it threw me off guard."

"You're really fast, Dash!" You say.

"Well, I'm the fastest out of the school," She beams. "I hold the mile record at four-twenty-four!"

"I'd bet the sports teams just love having you around."

"Of course they do, I'm the captain for all of them!" She smiles even wider.

"Wow, no wonder you're so good at dodgeball! I'll really have to watch out for you in future games."

Dash giggles.

"Don't worry, I'll try to go easy on you next time."

"But don't you have a reputation to hold though?" You joke.

"I think I could give up just a bit of it for you." She says. "Just a little bit."

A quick glance to your watch reminds you of your biology homework pile waiting for you at home.

"Hey Dash, I need to get going. Biology thinks the best way for students to learn is to make them take half of the course home with them."

"Oh, yeah, sure." She seems a slightly downcast about your departure. "But, before you leave, could we... erb, exchange phone numbers?"

With how little you actually use the machine, you've almost forgotten about your cell phone's very existence.

"I mean, we are friends, I'd like to be able to reach you." Dash says.

"Oh! Yeah!" You say in a flurry, digging your phone out of your pocket. You hand her your phone and she gives you a teal green smartphone. You both enter in your respective information before returning phones.

"There you go, shoot me a call or text whenever you want." You say.

"Hold on, don't leave just yet!" Dash says, stopping you once more. "I want a contact picture!" Dash pulls you very close to her and holds her phone out in front of both of you. "Smile!"

Click!

"I didn't consent to this." You say sarcastically.

"You didn't have a choice." Dash replies with a smug grin.

"Yeah, fine," You play along. "But send me that picture, alright?" You once again start the walk back home.

"I will, see you tomorrow, Blu!"

Author's Note:

Goddammit this note didn't save on publication...

Angina. Pronounced "an-jahy-nuh". I brought it up one time in a conversation, and had to spend the next five minutes explaining what it is and what it does.

As usual, all of your comments, upvotes, and constructive feedback are greatly appreciated, I can't thank you all enough for the support you're giving me <3

We're really getting to the beef of the story now, I estimate this story is at the 50% completion mark with this chapter. I hope I'm not boring you all with the medical side of it all, it's just a specialization of mine, sorry :twilightblush:

On another note, I have another story planned with AJ being the focus, and yes, it may or may not have a medical focus. I hope you can stand to read it.