• Published 20th Oct 2015
  • 2,351 Views, 115 Comments

By My Own Beard! - DwarvishPony



We've all seen the usual "human in Equestria" stories. But what happens when a dwarf ends up in the magical land?

  • ...
7
 115
 2,351

1. New Friends and New Places

Ovrik sat at a kitchen table in a small cottage, eyeing the decor in silence. He took note of a number of tiny birdhouses and other homes for smaller critters. A small white rabbit glared up at him. Ovrik stared back for a moment, before movement from the corner of his eye pulled his attention away.

Carrying a tray with a pot of tea and some teacups on her head, the owner of the home entered the room. Fluttershy, she had called herself, was a yellow pegasus with a light pink mane and a tattoo of three pink butterflies on her flank. Ovrik was less perturbed by this than the fact that she could speak.

"I'm sorry again if I startled you earlier." This was the fifth time he had heard this from the mare.

"Bah. It's behind us." Ovrik waved a hand dismisively.

Fluttershy placed the tea set upon the table and carefully poured two cups. Ovrik took note of the pony using her mouth to pick up and manipulate the teapot. She slid one of the cups to Ovrik, who picked it up and held the warm cup in one hand, letting it cool.

"Thank ye' for the drink. If'n ye' don't mind though, can I ask ye' a few questions?"

"Oh, of course." Fluttershy sat across from Ovrik, picking up her drink with her forehooves. 'Pegasuses are odd,' was the only conclusion Ovrik could draw from this. 'Pegasuses? Pegasi? Pegasusi?'

"Where in the Nine Hells am I?"

"You're in my cottage."

"No, I mean where is this place?"

"Well, you're just outside of Ponyville. It's a wonderful little town. I'm sure everypony will be excited to meet you." Fluttershy gave a soft smile as she spoke.

"Ponyville... Ye' mean there's more o' you pegasuses?" Ovrik set his drink down again. His inner dwarf raged at the fact that he was somehow transported to a city full of yellow talking ponies.

"Well, not just pegasi. There's unicorns and earth ponies, too."

"Ye've got to be kiddin' me. Do they all talk too?"

"Well... yes. Why wouldn't they?"

Ovrik let his head slam into the table with a dull whump. When he spoke again, he spoke into the table. "I don't suppose ye' know how to get to Koganusan?"

"I've never heard of it. If anypony knows where it is, it would be my friend Twilight." Fluttershy gave another soft smile. Had Ovrik been looking up, even he would have been a little comforted by the mare's warm personality. "If you'd like, we could go visit her after tea."

"I'd like that. Maybe yer Twilight friend can tell me how I got here in the first place."

A knocking from the front door interrupted the conversation.

"Oh! I'm sorry, that must be Spike. Twilight said she'd send him over to pick up a few books today. Excuse me for just a moment." Fluttershy flapped her wings and, well, fluttered out of the kitchen to greet Spike.

"Hello, Spike. Please come in. I've got company, but I'll get Twilight's books for you. Why don't you meet my new friend?" Fluttershy lead a small purple-scaled, bipedal creature with green spines into the kitchen. "Spike, this is my new friend Ovrik. He's a dwarf. Ovrik, this is Spike, Twilight's assistant and Ponyville's resident-"

"DRAGON!" Ovrik bellowed the word, sending spittle across the kitchen table. Ovrik's axe was back in his hand as he stood, sending his stool clattering to the floor. Spike had just enough time to let out a cry of terror before fleeing the charging dwarf (who was practically foaming at the mouth at the thought of doing battle with another dragon).

"Heeeelp! Somepony! Anypony!" Spike's little legs carried him into Ponyville. He didn't know it, but Spike was fortunate that Ovrik was a dwarf. Had Ovrik not been a creature of such a stocky build, Spike wouldn't have even made it to Ponyville.

"Get back here, ye' monster!" Ovrik waved his axe over his head as he ran. "When I'm through with ye' I'll wear yer skin as a cap!"

Spike ran through the town square, attracting the attention of everypony going about their daily routines. Heads turned just in time to see Spike running for his life from a creature that nopony had ever seen before. Later, stories would say Spike had been chased by a bear. Others would say that it was a monster from the Everfree forest. Mayor Mare would later claim that the creature had been a zebra hunter travelling through Equestria (and consequently lower her ratings for the next election when people remembered the racist remark. Her victory in the next election was largely theorized to only be won because she announced an engagement to a zebra part way through the election, but that's another story).

Spike's fleeing path took him past the schoolhouse, where Cheerilee would watch from a window while Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon wrote essays in detention. He cut through Sugarcube Corner, where Pinkie Pie was making a life-sized cake sculpture of Discord (Ovrik sliced the creation in half as he sprinted by). He ran by Quills and Sofas, where Rarity was purchasing another fainting couch. Finally, Spike spotted the safety of Twilight's castle.

"Twilight! Help!" Spike gasped out a cry for help. He could hear Ovrik's heavy stomping as the Dwarf began closing the gap between them. "Twilight!"

A lavender alicorn walked out onto her balcony, wondering why Spike was screaming so loudly that it interrupted her afternoon studies. Peering down at the running dragon, it was clear that he was in danger. With a flap of her wings Twilight took flight, swooping down and scooping Spike up in her forelegs. At the same time, she reached out with her magic and seized the axe that Ovrik waved wildly.

"What in Equestria is going on here?!" Twilight glared at the dwarf, who had refused to let go of his axe and now flailed his legs in midair.

"What do ye' mean, 'what's goin' on'? I'm huntin' a dragon! Now let go o' me axe!"

"I was just trying to pick up those books from Fluttershy and this guy started chasing me with an axe!" Spike waved a clawed fist at the dwarf now that he was a safe distance from the homicidal maniac.

Fluttershy came to a landing next to Ovrik. "I'm really sorry, Twilight. This is my new friend Ovrik. He's new here."

"Fluttershy, you know this thing?" Twilight gawked at her friend.

"He's a dwarf, and he says he ended up here after a fight with a dragon. He didn't mean it. He's just not used to dragons that don't want to eat him." Fluttershy spoke softly, attempting to smooth over the situation and (hopefully) defuse the dwarf as quickly as she could. "Tell them, Ovrik. You didn't mean to hurt anypony, right?"

"I..." Ovrik spluttered, his lust for battle quickly dissapating. "I don' know what came over me. I saw a dragon, and part o' me just saw the one I just fought." The dwarf let go of his axe, dropping to the ground and landing uncerimoniously on his butt. "I hope ye'll forgive me, lil' guy."

Spike glowered at the dwarf for a moment before jumping from Twilight's hold. He walked up to the dwarf and held out a claw.

"No problem, dude. Just don't chase me with an axe anymore. I might have hurt you if you hadn't caught me off guard." The baby dragon chuckled lightly as he helped Ovrik to his feet.

"Well now that that's over with, maybe you can tell me how you got here Mister... erm..." Twilight hesitated for a response.

"Stonebreaker. Ovrik Stonebreaker."