• Published 7th Oct 2015
  • 10,600 Views, 901 Comments

SPD Emergency - cyberlord4444



Meet Anubis "Doggie" Cruger, head of SPD, SPD Shadow Ranger, founder of the Equestrian Royal Guard, former human-wait, what were those last 2?

  • ...
29
 901
 10,600

PreviousChapters Next
Personnel File 24: Starting on a New Road

A simple bracer with a slot where a small toy, a black and white car with headlights, was slotted into lay on the ground, as a thestral who looked to be moving very slowly hit a button on the inside of the bracer before going at normal speed and hitting face first the ground.
“Note to self, never ever do that again,” was the mare’s first comment to herself before getting up, dusting herself off, then picking up her prototype and examining the bracer, “Shift Cars… their energy source, Core Driviars.”

She headed out of the testing room, and back into R&D labs proper. It was early, before her shift, and she wanted to get in a little test after she got the guts to actually ask for a few items from Commander Cruger.

“I’ll need to ask the others for some actual help, that is going to be a first for me. But the usage of this power has a large amount of opportunities to be used for good and bad, Researching it, at the least, so that we can construct ways to stop it would be best.” The thestral hummed to herself and nodded, “Well I should ask somepony from the R&D team to help me, hopefully they’ll agree to work together.” She smiled and shook her head, “Since my I’ve gotten my drive I’ve made quite a lot of progress, some time with this Shift Car and I’m sure the team and me will find a way how to work with it!”


“So that’s what happened,” stated Sora after she joined the others for breakfast and explained what she had done.

“I don’t see why we haven’t done this before now!” responded Steam with an enthusiastic smile, “Well done my cousin!”

“So how’d you even come to find such a powerful source of energy?” asked Fetch who was thinking about a location for such an energy source.

“I noticed it in the energy readings of the fight between the Boss and Gilgamesh, I remembered the Shift Car he was using, so I just asked and I got it,” explained Sora before taking a bite to eat before continuing, “I built a simple prototype and then I found out that it could send out a field which seemingly slows down time, which is why I wanted to get you four to help me with gathering info and then constructing things to counter it but also utilize this energy.”

“Temporal manipulation, we can handle,” said Fetch. “If it becomes temporal relocation, we might need the Commander’s help.”

“The Core Driviar, and yes it’s officially called that because there was data within the core which called it that and I know it’s an odd name but just go with it,” stated Sora, “Anyway so far my prototype has indicated that beyond temporal manipulation that it also acts as a deterrent for those who held it. While the sensor indicates that movement is slowed, processing was going at normal levels.”

“So you could think normally, but your movements were slowed down,” said Fetch. “Sounds to me like you might have put a part in backwards, since it should have looked to you that everything around you was in slow motion, while to an outside observer, you’d be moving at hyperspeed.”

“Should have?” questioned Sora as she looked at Fetch, “Well I expect that would be how things would have gone for anyone else if I was wearing the bracelet and not dropped it in surprise when the field did go up,” she took a bite of her food as she blushed a bit in embarrassment, “But what do you mean with should have, do you know more about this?”

“Ah. That explains it,” said Fetch with a smirk. “You need to be wearing it for it to function properly. I suggest you put the activation button on a part of the bracer you can touch while wearing it. Similar to the morphers other Rangers used, such as the Space Rangers.”

“Denji Sentai Megaranger’s Degitaizer,” muttered Sora before nodding and remembering a few things, “Yeah, I guess it would work, but I think something a bit more basic.”

“Oh, please don’t use those Neighponese names,” said Fetch with a groan. “Until that Displaced showed up, all of Kruger’s files list Rangers. Now, they have the info on their Sentai counterparts as well, and it’s giving me a headache.”

“I have to agree with Sora here, I actually rather like the name. It’s rather exotic,” chimed Steam Gear in, while Fetch only shook his head.

“Of course you would agree with her. That probably comes from the Neighponese shows you are watching lately. As for your question Sora about the more basic things,” he said with a smirk “the problem is you need the space to put the ‘toy car’ into. You could try a belt with a ‘holster’. Just push the ‘buckle’, and you’ll go from Ranger Gear to High Gear.”

“High Gear?” questioned Sora with a chuckle, “Try another name, Fetch. Also I’m glad that you also say Kruger the same way I do, everypony says it’s wrong for some reason. Also Gai did give us a lot more complete information then what we had. And for your idea, it has merit but..” she took out the toy car, “Justice Hunter here can do this,” she spun the back making it look more like a lever.

“And what does that do?” asked Fetch.

“It was part of the design, so maybe we can use it to make a bracer which uses this shift car and any other ones we make as levers to function as something,” said Sora, “But I guess your system would be more easier.”

“System,” said Fetch. “Core, Shift, DRIVE! And I’m sure if I look in the files, the Drive is a belt. It makes sense, considering there are likely a lot of those Cores, so you’d need to be able to carry them on you easily. From the files I have read, it seems that other Ranger groups had much more complicated equipment than SPD does.”

“Well one that have something like what we can use would be…” Sora took out from seemingly nowhere a folder and flipped through it, “Ressha Sentai TOQgers!” She then showed a bracer that the team used.

“I just remembered,” said Fetch. “These cars are not Ranger tech, they are from another Displaced. The one with the vending machine robots. Are we sure they are compatible?”

“So these would be… Kamen Rider Tech then, because… that guy was Kamen Rider OOO wasn’t he?” stated Sora while having a scrunched up face, “We’ll just have to see if they are, but where would Boss Kruger get these Shift Cars which are Rider Tech?”

“Commander Kruger has been making and improving tech for all of the Displaced he’s come across that allow him to,” said Fetch. “And since he prefers to do it himself, it means Steam and I are stuck reverse engineering it from what we can observe. Partly because Steam doesn’t want to wait for Kruger to share the notes, and partly because Steam wants to prove that he is the best engineer ever.”

As if to underline the statement, Steam Gear proudly puffed his chest out, making Fetch roll his eyes. Sora shook her head at the two, before getting back to the topic at hand.

“You’ve never just asked if you could get some notes or stuff like that?” asked Sora to Steam and Fetch with a raised eyebrow, “Because I did just simply ask for usage of a few things. Is how I got Justice Hunter here,” she looked down at the car before returning it to it actual car form.

Steam Gear got a pensive look at that as he tapped his chin.

“...Well, I personally prefer things I can disassemble. You know, just to slowly take it apart and figure out how things work like that. You can’t really take apart a note. At least it wasn’t funny the one time I tried it,” he shrugged.

“Other than Steam I’ve actually asked,” said Fetch. “I get one of three answers: -It’s already in your computer.- -When I’m done with it.- -You don’t have clearance for it.-. The first one is the most annoying, because he will NEVER tell me what he named the files. I spent over a day trying to find info on a former Ranger, and they were in a file labeled GWRB that was in a folder labeled Paleontology.”

“GWRB… GWRB… GWRB?” questioned Sora before shaking her head, “Maybe we need to get the whole system into a overhaul, especially if those two divisions are coming into effect.”

“Oh, the Commander only does it for the info he doesn’t want just anyone to have access to,” said Fetch with a smile. “All the info about SPD and the other divisions is easily accessible. Oh, and the file name stands for Green White Red Black. Apparently the Commander didn’t want info on that particular former Ranger to be too easy for Rainbow Dash to access. She’d very likely compare herself with that Ranger, and then she would work herself into the hospital trying to be better than he was. Kruger would not be happy if his Red Ranger was on the disabled list due to such a crazy notion. I still wonder if we’ll come across a Displaced of that Ranger. That will likely be a very crazy day.”

“Don’t the Sentai counterparts have some equally odd and big achievements,” questioned Sora before looking down at the folder, “And didn’t everyone get one of these folders?”

“Various versions of the folder,” said Fetch. “Different departments had certain parts of it prioritized or removed. Only Commander Kruger has the complete unedited version. And Princess Twilight has the complete edited version. The only difference being that there was apparently a message to the Commander in the original.”

“That side track aside, we still don’t have anything clearly planned for the research and development pertaining towards the shift cars,” stated Sora trying to get the whole conversation back onto the tracks, “Besides us being in a place where we shouldn’t really say anything top secret, we should just really get to work finding out about our current shift car and work up from there.”

“That would be up to Steam, Sky,” said Fetch with a smirk. “Who has been surprisingly silent as of late. I am beginning to wonder if Lady Rarity’s cat absconded with his tongue last time he went there to get his lab coat repaired.”

“Just thinking on it,” said Steam. “I mean, the way you are talking about it just made me realize that this really gives us some possibilities and I want to make sure it doesn’t blow up again,” he quickly waved his hands, “Not that anything is wrong with explosions! It is a sign of progress after all! I only don’t want to get in more trouble. I’m on probation in a way, so we really need to be careful.”

“True, but I’m more scared that if we created similar items that we might accidentally have them… I don’t know, create a field that will cover the whole planet?” stated Sora with a shudder with a shake of her head, “Sorry, I probably overthinking about it.”

“Reminds me of the Goo Grenade, to be honest. Just imagine it, something like that covering the entire department, or even the entire base! Everyone would move slow motion! Might even have the potential for a grenade, now that I think about it… Slowing evildoers down like that could be pretty useful,” Steam suggested, his eyes already gleaming in delight at the thought of building something like this with the alien technology, before a frown crossed his face. “Still need to be careful though. I really have to suppress these urges! Have you any idea how hard it is to hold back and simply not go all out on an inventing binge? It’s the horror! The horror I tell you!”

“Right Mad Scientist, now do you guys have anything important in development or can we start with scanning and drawing up blueprints?” asked Sora cutting through the usual tirad she expected from Steam, she herself remembering from her other two projects she was still busy with.

“With all the explosions and other incidents that have occurred in R&D,” said Fetch “I am surprised that the scanners haven’t been destroyed. I wish I could say the same for my desk.”

“What?” asked Steam innocently, “Your desk was a necessary sacrifice for testing! Besides, you will get a new one!”

“The Commander is not happy with R&D being wrecked once a week,” said Fetch. “He told me if we need to keep rebuilding R&D, we will either be building it from scrap or moving R&D to the Badlands before there is no base left. Also, we are Pink level lucky that none of us have been killed or even seriously injured. Though, I have heard that the Doc is running a betting pool on when one of Steam’s inventions puts himself or another member of R&D in the ICU. What did you do to make the Doc dislike us so much?”

“Actually, I didn’t even realize he dislikes our department. But then again I guess Blood must have badmouthed us, considering he doesn’t like me all too much. Kind of the reason I hope this time everything goes swimmingly. I mean, I don’t think they will all of a sudden send us an inspector to clean up our department even if it did end up with an explosion, but they might punish us by taking our ice cream or coffee machine away!” Steam elaborated, shivering at the thought of losing their self-built luxuries. Especially considering how many sacrifices such machines were affording. He still remembered the ice cream incident. Suffice to say Blood Rush wasn’t pleased that day, considering it was the start of his dislike towards him.

“Would that bet count if I fell into the ICU?” wondered Sora for a moment before blinking and shaking her head, “No, wait this is the wrong time for that. Can you two anwser my question from before, please?”

Steam Gear blinked owlishly. “What question again?” he asked before pondering, “Something about grenades and ice cream… An ice cream grenade? Or a grenade that engulfs someone in ice? No, that would be too close to the Goo Grenade… Hm…”

“Do you guys have anything currently planned which is currently in development which takes priority over this project I’m suggesting the R&D start on.” explained Sora to her Cousin with a small smile on her face.

His face instantly lit up, “Oh right! That question! As luck has it we currently are free, if I recall it right, so there is no concern and we could build some grenades with the wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey thingy you have there.”

Sora started mumbling things, getting her thoughts into order while also telling everyone around her thought process before nodding then facing her Cousin, “I don’t think we can make a grenades, At most a generator. But I don’t think we should do that as that might get taken and then used by our enemies. This is one technology I don’t want them developing.”

“I believe it would be best if we kept it as a one user Speed Booster” said Fetch. “And at the rate we keep modifying you Sora, I think we are going to make you into the 6th Ranger for our team of Rangers.”

“Or a backup ranger,” said Sora with a sigh, “But I’m doubting that Kruger would allow that.”

“Considering that, according to the files,” said Fetch “the B-squad Rangers were the ones that actually saved Earth and that their 6th Ranger showed up clear out of the blue, I think he’s been waiting for you to either just do it or ask him. You do have your own Morpher already. Do you think that Commander Kruger would allow you to have it if he didn’t want you in the field?”

“Considering they’ve got paperwork dedicated to non A squad morphing I don’t think that’s a thing. Also I’m pretty sure it’s you guys that granted me the Morpher, that plus I’ve gotten my own custom made suit, which you guys also help make, so I wouldn’t know what to do with the Omega Morpher or the Omega Suit,” retorted Sora.

“Sora, we don’t have the Omega Morpher,” said Fetch. “What do you think we’ve been trying to emulate with yours? Besides, Purple is a nicer color than silver. And the whole thing about no one but A Squad morphing? It states right in the paperwork: ‘without authorization of Commander Kruger OR two high ranking members of SPD’. Steam and I gave you authorization. So if the Commander has any problems with you showing up to help A-squad, it’s on our heads. But I’m pretty sure he won’t. As long as you don’t cause too much property damage.”

“Hold on, won’t it be easier now with all the data you got from when Gai came in and turned into the Sentai Counterpart, DekaBreak. Not to mention the key from the forge which has the data of DekaBreak easier to use,” asked Sora.

“You’d think so,” said Fetch. “But it’s at a higher tech level than SPD. Some parts of its construction come up as unknown. Also, the Commander told us to leave Omega Ranger research alone until he finds a worthy candidate for the honor. I think he’s just trying to keep me from staying up too late researching and Steam from-”
“Blowing himself up?” filled in Sora
“Exactly,” said Fetch with a smirk.
“Hey!” came Steam Gear’s indignant protest but was ignored by the two.

“Still DekaZero or SPD Violet is still not as strong as any of the other suits since it’s less reinforced because of the steam system, it is specced in a different way but is still in the same ballpark of the other suits,” commented Sora sounding very much sad about that fact, “Yet the Sixth ranger slot is always filled with the team member which is stronger than the others and has more options.”

“You are right about that,” said Fetch. “However, B-Squad is supposed to be able to assist A-Squad. Which I’m pretty sure means they, including you, should be able to Morph. And from the list of old Ranger team Morphers that the Commander had me compile for him recently, I’m pretty sure many members of SPD will soon be saying that classic phrase. Annnnnnnnnnnd Kruger is going to likely use me as a chew toy when he finds out I’ve been telling secrets. I told him that we researchers are terrible at keeping secrets.”

“We’ll just not say that we talked about anything secret… geez, we went off track again!” placing her stuff to the side Sora then slammed her head against the table.

“Sorry,” said Fetch as he hung his head in shame. “Going off course is something I sadly am good at. Which is why I’m not allowed to use any of the vehicles. I crashed all of them, in the simulator, at least three times.”

“How can you do that, those are so simple,” Sora looked at Fetch with a raised brow, not knowing that her own pretty high score wasn’t all that common.

“I have a lead hoof,” said Fetch with a frown. “And my reflexes aren’t very fast. Part of why I’m a researcher and not an explorer. But, back to the main topic. Steam, can you actually build this device into Sora’s suit?”

“Hm… I think I can. If you give me additional time and materials I can even include a small coffee machine in the suit, in case you get thirsty.”

“May I ask something which is very complex and very important?” asked Sora, “Since when did we have a design of a device for an item that we have yet to analyze or experimented with?”

“We don’t have one yet. But I have a design for implementing a coffee machine in that suit of yours. It really is rather slim so you probably won’t feel it that much. This also makes me wonder if we can use this time manipulation to accelerate the process of making coffee,” Steam mused with his hand on his chin, “As another side note, can it be used to manipulate the near vicinity? Maybe it could create some type of time shield around you that slows down the target when it tries to attack?” Steam’s eyes lit up, “Ooh! Maybe a coffee shooter when they are slowed down and in your near vicinity?”

“We have designs for things which are totally impractical, things that violate at least one law of physics, and things that would likely kill us as soon as they were built,” said Fetch with a smirk. “And a few things that are totally sane and practical, but those would be no fun for Steam to build, now would they?”

“Just how he is I guess,” Sora could only smile before sighing and turning to her Cousin with a serious look on her face, “You can make a weapon that also acts as a coffee machine, but nothing in the suit will be making coffee am I clear?” She shuddered, “Last thing I want is someone asking where I got a burn mark and I have to answer that in battle my suit had a malfunction and that is why hot coffee seared my body.”

Steam Gear instantly fistbumped at his victory, glad that he was finally taken serious! He had the design for the coffee machine in his locker for months now after all. But for some unknown reason none of the squad members wanted to use it. Probably not a fan of coffee like drinks.

“And if you get burned, it won’t be long after that your dear cousin will be feeling your wrath,” said Fetch with a smirk. “Just please do leave him able to work. The Commander would be a might displeased to have to find a new department head, and I don’t want to go through all the hassle of learning how to handle a new work partner. Steam is great to work with. Though, I do wonder why he hasn’t yet tried to put a Flight mode in all the suits, considering how much he loves wings.”

“I’d probably just break his legs,” mentioned Sora with a serious face, which made Steam Gear slightly shrink back as he put some distance between him and her. However, Sora quickly lost her serious composure and closed the distance to hug Steam with a smile on her face, “Geez, I’m just teasing you a bit cousin. Besides I’m not the type to really to react all that angrily about anything.”

Steam nodded, “Yes, that is true. You didn’t use violence to interrupt me breaking into song in our first meeting. Even though you weren’t all that pleased by it. Makes me wonder if I really am such a terrible singer...which makes me instantly wonder what type of weapons or defense mechanisms one can build with the help of one's vocal chords…”

“Talking about sonic weapons aside, when do we start working?” asked the still smiling bat pony.

Steam Gear cocked his head up to look at the cafeteria clock, “Approximately 2 minutes and… Oh,” Steam said as a tinge of nervousness graced his voice.

“What is it now?” questioned Fetch.

“I just noticed that we spent our whole time talking instead of eating and have now only 2 minutes left to finish our complete platters of food!”

Sora blinked and looked at her own empty platter of food, “Well better get to it or else you’ll want to eat in the labs and you know how that goes.”

“I am surprised at you Steam,” said Fetch right after he finished his last bite. “I was sure you had learned the art of eating during a conversation by now.”

“Multitasking is a lie,” Steam Gear instantly whispered conspiratorially, “It’s just an invention by Celestia to appear more capable for her rule. But in truth one's brain can only switch from one task to another, which means I had to offer my full brain capacity to the conversation, since I didn’t want to miss one part, while my brain was busy with eating.”

“Then thou art a fool,” said Fetch with a smirk. “Eating while doing other things is something we busy ponies just learn to do. Without it, we’d likely drop dead of starvation at our desks.”

“... Didn’t that happen like twice already for Steam?” asked Sora her eyes roaming around as she tried to remember both times where she did find him ‘dead’ at his desk.

Steam instantly crossed his arms while puffing out his cheeks in a pout, “I know that I’m right.”

Sora could only laugh at that reaction, these were the ponies where she could be loud by herself. She was going to protect them with all of her might and all the might they will be giving to her.

“Eat fast Steam,” said Fetch with a smirk as he got up. “Or are you going to walk and eat back to the lab?”

He shook his head, “That would only mean I couldn’t enjoy the meal fully since my brain would have to switch between walking and eating.”

A forlorn sigh escaped him before he tore down into his meal of spinach, potatoes and an egg sunny side up. His taste buds reveled in the pure unadulterated flavor he got by simply only concentrating on his meal.

“You're having those weird thoughts again,” simply stated a smiling Sora from behind Steam as she waited for him to finish, “Come on, concentrate through that food and let’s get building that coffee weapon of yours.”

Steam could only nod as he stuffed his face with the last of his meal and he followed the two with his cheeks still puffed out.

Author's Note:

By Fetch, Hoppa_21and MeteorCrossBlade

PreviousChapters Next