• Published 16th Dec 2012
  • 348 Views, 5 Comments

Of Insanity and Discovery - anonymous_brony



In a time were Blue Blood rules. Were tyranny is the only form of life we know, and even life fails.

  • ...
 5
 348

Fluttershy's little pet

"New Fluttershy?" I asked trotting behind the cloaked figure.

"Yes, The new Fluttershy." Fluttershy said, calmly glancing back at the dark brown pack of Timberwolves that were escorting us. Because, you know, there's nothing like a bunch of vicious animals walking behind you make you comfortable.

"The old Fluttershy was weak, she was literally afraid of her own shadow. She even let little creatures be around her, rodents like squirrels, mice and rabbits." She smirked. "Things that wouldn't be of any use. But now, now the new Fluttershy only keeps things of power, the new Fluttershy will kill when provoked, the new Fluttershy doesn't hide from controversy, the new Fluttershy-"

"Only speaks in third person?" I asked under my breath, chuckled at my little joke quiet enough that I thought no one could overhear, I was wrong.

"Is there something you want to tell me, Apt?" Fluttershy glanced back at me over her shoulder.

"No ma'am." I said slightly jittery, but quick to respond in case 'The new Fluttershy' would set our little escorts on me. Nodding her head in a way I hopped meant that she wasn't going to end my life, she continued.

"Anyway, out with the Old and in with the New, isn't that what they say?"

"Yes in deedy!" Came Scootaloo's answer. I looked at her, she was still Scootaloo, the same purple hair I remembered, the same beautifully toned body, yet all I could see in her place was Pinkie Pie, one of the mares that had raised me. Scootaloo harbored the soul of Pinkie in the way she talked and acted. It was as if both my idle and my caregiver were standing in front of me. Tearing my eyes off of Scootaloo I asked.

"Fluttershy? Um, did anyone else survive?" It had been a while since I had seen any one I knew from back then, and if Scootaloo and Fluttershy were still alive, could that mean that more had lived?

"No." It was a simple word, just one syllable, two letters, but to me it was much more than its physical appearance. It was as if that one word had power over my heart, I could almost hear it crack as the pain finally hit me. Forgive me for being naïve, but I had hoped that at least a few more had survived. Fluttershy continued, unaware of my pain. "As far as I known only Scootaloo, Pinkie Pie, Applejack, Rainbow Dash and myself survived. Pinkie took Scootaloo into the woods, Rainbow went to Cloudsdale, Applejack was working in Canterlot, and I lived far enough away for the blast zone to survive."

There was a silence that fell between us as i thought off all of them that had died. All the lives that were cut short in a matter of seconds, never to fulfill what their lives could have been.

I was brought out of my emotional turmoil by a small squeak of fear. I had been so involved in my pain that I hadn't realized that we had come up to Fluttershy's cottage, or more specifically a large wooden cage that sat next to her cottage. The squeak had come from a small squirrel that had seen us coming near. At the time I hadn't understood the terror that came off the little guy, but I found out when Fluttershy started her song.

"Hush now, quite now don't even make a sound.

Hush now, quite now It'll all be over soon.

Drifting, down you go, it's feeding time again.

I just hope you realize… What you getting fed to."

I looked around, just now realizing that I couldn't hear a bird chirp. Or see the normal running of animals around my feet that usually accompanied you as you walked through the Everfree Forest. The only rodent I could see was dangling from Fluttershy mouth, squirming in terror.

"Oh, stop it. You knew this day was coming so stop complaining." The squirrel looked up at her, it's eyes large and swimming with tears. Fluttershy only response was to glanced down at it with a heartless toothy smile. (It was kind of disturbing actually…)

"Fluttershy? Um.. What exactly are you doing?"

"Well you see Apt, these wolves behind me agreed to… work for me, if I gave them a place to stay and a food source." I looked at the squirrel hanging between her teeth, horror at what I was hearing entering my eyes. "Of course I don't have enough for the whole pack, but a squirrel is good for a pup or two." The squirrel started to tear up again. Fat tears rolling down its face. I lowered my head, incapable of watching the inequine way this animal was being treated.

"What happened to you Fluttershy? " It was barely a whisper, but as demonstrated earlier, she can hear extraordinarily well.

"Is something wrong Apt? Do you want me to put the poor wittle guy down?" I couldn't respond. Fluttershy had been my foalsitter when I was younger and she had been the nicest, kindest pony in Equestria. With her soft voice and gentle nature. Now everything I liked about her was gone. Trying not to think about the soon to be lifeless squirrel still weeping in Fluttershy's mouth I asked.

"So, um… That's a nice, uhh… fire lance." I racked my brain for what exactly it was, we had gone over zebra weaponry in class. "It's a year 8400, otherwise known as Pain Bringer isn't it? You can tell by the engravings on the right side of the blade tip. But… The Pain Bringer doesn't have a reddish glow emanating from the blade, that's only common for the Burial Staff which was a year 8900. Tell me, how did you get it? I've been looking for a fire lance in every dig site I've been to." Fluttershy's grin opened wider.

"Oh, Apt. Don't you remember a zebra who used to live in the Everfree Forest? She was nice enough to, give it to me."

No, not Zecora too. Please Celestia not her too. Came a quiet voice from the inside of my mind. I could understand Flickers sorrow. I had known Zecora too in a time gone by. And even if she were a Zebra. Which as Emperor Blue Blood said, were an inferior species. She was still a friend, and these days I don't have many of them to spare.

"Apt, let me tell you a story." Fluttershy insisted, staring into the sky as a memory came to her. " It's about a certain Zebra who… Didn't like how I ran Everfree." I looked at Fluttershy, noticing that she kept stopping in her speech, as if she wanted to think carefully before telling me anything… "It happened about a year ago…"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fluttershy grinned as she and Angel slowly walked towards Zecora's hut. It was an eerie night, silent, with not even the occasional hoot of an owl or a mouse squeak to lighten the mood. Fluttershy had planned this night for weeks now, just waiting for the perfect time to get rid of the only one who might hinder her plan.

"Zecora?" Fluttershy asked quietly, the picture of innocence. "Could you maybe come out side? I need to, um… I have to ask you…" Fluttershy sent a smug little smile over at Angel as her plan started to come together. She hid behind her hair as she had back in the days before the bombing. It was a simple matter to wait until her hair had grown back to its original length.

I'll have to cut it down again when this is over. She thought to herself in disgust. I really don't know why she liked her hair like this. Long hair is a sign of weakness.

"Zecora? Where are you?"

Bah ,she's probably not even here. All that work and planning, for what?! For someone who's not even here!

Calm down or you'll ruin the plan. Fluttershy froze. It had been awhile since she had heard the voice in her head speak, not since she had first decided to become stronger. In fact it had been that voice that had given her the courage to do so.

Shut up, Pinkie Pie. Fluttershy snapped. I'd like you to warn me before you pop up and start talking.

Oh, like what? Would you want me to tap you on the shoulder? Get over it. And I'm not Pinkie Pie, I'm your head voice. As I've told you before.

Don't get a big head, you're not all that important to me. Who's head are you in? Mine.

Fine, do what you want. I just don't want you to give us away, I'm in your head remember? If you die I do too.

"Zecora!" Fluttershy screamed, just to feel Pinkie squirm.

Angel looked up at his mistress in surprise that she would let her feelings endanger the plan. "WHAT!" Fluttershy yelled down at him. Irritated that he would question her. "It's because Zecora's not here. That's why I'm like this." Fluttershy rubbed her nose, a nerves tick that she had developed, she tried to convince herself that she wasn't a bad pony, it was just the circumstance.

"Angel, go into the hut and grab anything of value. I will NOT let this be a total failure." The bunny glanced up at her, saluted and hopped off towards the tree, light indentations being left on the dirt wherever he landed.

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Wait. I thought that you didn't keep small animals" I asked confused as to what I was hearing. Fluttershy glared at me for interrupting her story, but explained.

"Angel is a special case; he had always been there when I needed help. Not that I need help anymore, but he can still be of use to me." Fluttershy glanced over at her cottage a distance away, or more specifically the white figure in the window. "When Pink- (Cough) when I first realized that if I was to survive I would have to get rid of weakness. The birds were the first to go. And when the time came for the rabbits to go I… well, I couldn't be bothered to do it myself so I sent my hippogriff in for me. When I returned from my… outing… I discovered that only one of the rodents was left. Angel was the only one able to fight off Misfit for any decent amount of time so I gave him a chance to prove himself.

He could A) fight off the pack leader of the timberwolves. Or B) get eaten by the pack leader of the timberwolves. I believe that you can figure out which of the options he took." Fluttershy stopped walking. I looked down, we had stopped at the edge of a dirt pit, one that held a litter of newborn timberwolves. The squirrel that had been hanging out of Fluttershy's mouth screeched as it was thrown into the pit. Fluttershy's face lit up in pure joy as she watched the squirrels body arc through the air. I closed my eyes and tried to block out the sound of its screams as it was torn limb from limb.

"Oh, look at them. There so cute when they play with their food." I screwed my face up in disgust at what I was hearing.

Anger, so this is what it feels like when it's not forced upon me.

Apt, please. Put a stop to this…. This isn't right.

What can I do Flicker? I can't do anything!

I taught you how to use magic. NOW USE IT!

I… I can't.

Don't give me that!

You have incredible power in you, your just too much of a foal to use it! I shrank back as Flickers words drove into me. I wanted to argue with her, but what could I say? She was right.

I can't do anything...

Can't, or won't?

I just shut my eyes tighter. Not answering.

"Now that that's over. Can I get back to my story?" Fluttershy asked, as casually as if nothing about this situation fazed her. (I actually probably didn't)

"Oh, yeah, alright…" I mumbled still hurting from Flicker's words.

"As I was saying before I was so rudely interrupted." She threw a dirty look my way. "Angel ran into the tree that Zecora been made into a simple hut.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I don't understand why she's not here." Fluttershy hissed, glancing around as if Zecora would jump out and say 'Here I am!'

You scared her off. Came Pinkie's response.

It's not my fault!

Sure it is.

"Angel, are you done in there yet?!" Fluttershy yelled, trying to stop Pinkie's words. "Angel!" Nothing came hopping out of the tree. "Insubordinate little…" Fluttershy rant was cut short due to her sudden lack of ability to breath. On reflex Fluttershy swept her wings underneath her attacker, and used them to flip the pony from behind her onto its back in front of her. Fluttershy looked down at the rope that her attacker had used to try and strangle her. It was a simple enough rope, just a few vines wound together into a sturdy thickness. Not something worthy of killing her.

The pony that had used the rope was a bit more interesting, he had a light green mane as well as soil colored coat. His cutie mark was absent, thanks to a burn on both his right and left flank. His cutie mark had been branded off Fluttershy realized suddenly; looking down at this pony with new interest. She kicked him in stomach with her right forehoof and the colt spasmed at the unexpected pain, and shot up with a howl.

"So, Sir Lintsalot." Fluttershy said using the name she gave him based off Pinkie's imaginary friend.

"How'd you get out of the basement? Didn't I tell you not to leave the basement? Why aren't you in the basement?" No response came from the form still writhing on the ground. Another kick. The colt gasped as the air forcefully exited his lungs. "Please answer me Sir Lintsalot."

"I got help form a Zebra." He gasped. His voice, yet raspy from the pain, still held his thick trottingham accent. "She came one night and took me out that tomb you call a basement. I've been gone for weeks." He grinned through the pain. "Or haven't you realized?" Fluttershy kicked him in the stomach again.

"You haven't felt real pain yet, but you will." Fluttershy was enraged that this colt would make fun of her. She had thought that she had put him through enough pain to earn some respect. Fluttershy vowed to destroy this rebellious streak that had grown in him. But first she would kill that zebra.

That Zebra! Fluttershy heard the sound of rustling of leaves behind her.

A diversion! Pinkie snapped.

Fluttershy whipped around in time to see a glowing blade whip toward her head. With a flap of her wings she flew away from the spear tip.

"Bloody Berk!" Yelled the colt on the ground, slowly crawling to his hooves. "She was right in front of you! How'd you miss her!" Zecora just sent a look at him as she dived at Fluttershy, thrusting forwards with her fire lance. Fluttershy flew back again. "Again Zecora?!" How do you keep missing!?" Zecora ignored him, focusing on the fight in front of her. She swung the lance, this time in an upward arc with the tip barreling down on her target. Fluttershy opened her wings again as if to spring back once more so Zecora jumped forward hoping that she could hit her when Fluttershy jumps back. She would have too. But Fluttershy didn't jump back, she jumped forward, sending her left hind leg into Zecora's midsection. Causing Zecora to fly back into a tree, hard enough for the pine to send out a crack of protest. Fluttershy advanced on her.

Now finish her. End her right here and now!

Ahhh, Pinkie what would be the fun in that? I have her where I want her, now why can't I play with her? Fluttershy pulled out a knife from her tail, twirling it in her wingtip as she firmly planted one hoof in front of the other, each hoof fall bringing up a cloud of dust. She brought the knife up to Zecora's face sliding the blade around and cutting patterns into her flesh. A spiral here, a square there, all the while Zecora winced as her face was slowly turned into a bloody mess.

Fluttershy screamed as something pierced her hind leg. She whirled, furious that something would dare harm her. Her eyes fell upon Sir Lintsalot. He had picked up Zecora's fallen fire staff and plunged the tip into her back right leg. He looked up in fear when he saw Fluttershy round on him.

"I… I…" Lintsalot dropped the spear and galloped off as fast as he could, leaving Zecora to Fluttershy will.

"Never mind." Fluttershy growled, promising to send her timberwolves to hunt him down later. She turned back to Zecora, fury in her eyes. Needing to release all her pent up anger, she gripped the knife harder and plunged it into the base of Zecora's neck.

Shock filled her eyes as she looked at the blood trickling down her neck, and back up into the eyes of somepony who was once her friend, someone who she had once made a cure for poison joke. A single tear ran down her face as she said her last words.

"Good-bye, Fluttershy." Zacora spoke smoothly in that accent of hers, even in death her rhymes wouldn't leave her. Zecora coughed, spluttered and went limp, falling further into the knife. Fluttershy looked up into the star filled sky as she thought about what just happened.

Hmmm… I don't feel anything. Why don't I feel anything?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was shaking by the end of the story, and promised never to get on Fluttershy's bad side.

"Scootaloo, could you take Apt into the cottage? I'm sure that he's tired from the long walk he had from here from Ponyville, I'll join you shortly. I need to go check something first." Scootaloo nodded and started walking me over to the cottage, going on about something to do with pancakes. But I wasn't really paying attention, I just couldn't take my mind off the fact that Zecora was dead. My hooves felt heavy as we walked inside. Scootaloo told me to go up stairs and that there was a guest bedroom in the first door on the left.

"Remember Twilight. Discord Isn't the only corruption that can take over somepony."

I looked up at Scootaloo in confusion.

"What do you mean?" The only response I got off her Was a crooked grin as she turned and walked away.

Everyone is dying, I just, I knew all these ponies. They were my friends

I know Flicker. I can feel how deeply you loved all of them, each time we learn one of them died I can feel the pain as deeply as you do. I'm sorry.

There was a silence for a while where we both sat there thinking.

Thanks Apt.

No Problem Flicker.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fluttershy went around to the back of her cottage, making sure no one was following her, especially not Apt.

Wouldn't that be just my luck. If he saw what was down here.

You can't keep Apt in the dark forever, he'll find out. Pinkie stated plainly.

Not unless you tell him!

And I would do that… how?

Never mind.

Fluttershy descended into her storm cellar. She turned her head up in disgust at the smell of blood and urine that always filled this place. Remembering to close the door securely, Fluttershy brought out her flashlight and looked around, checking to see if everything was where it was supposed to be. Not that there was much to see in the small cellar, besides the walls the floor, a bag of dead rats and a barrel of water. Her gaze fell upon a huddled figure in the corner.

"Get that torch out of my face." The figure in the corner said. His thick trottingham accent making Fluttershy irritated.

"Oh, don't you worry, after tonight you won't be able to see the light anyway…" Fluttershy grinned in preparation as to the fun she was about to have.

No one could hear the screams that came from cellar that night.

Author's Note:

About the wait you guys, I apologize. But I'm starting to lose steam, this story only has a few followers and I'm only posting for you. To tell you the truth, I need encouragement, if you could comment where you think this story should go I'll try to fit it in. I have a general idea where this is headed but if I know anything about this fandom it's that your creative is incredible, and an idea might have come to you that hasn't come to me.

Yours truly, anonymous_brony.

Comments ( 2 )

This is an interesting read, shame it has so little views. :applejackunsure:

"What if blueblood ruled"

TERROR
NO
PLEASE NO

Login or register to comment