• Published 16th Dec 2012
  • 348 Views, 5 Comments

Of Insanity and Discovery - anonymous_brony



In a time were Blue Blood rules. Were tyranny is the only form of life we know, and even life fails.

  • ...
 5
 348

Prologue: Everything Good Comes to an End

Of Insanity and Discovery

Prologue

To all whom this may concern, unicorn magic is a tricky and strange thing that is accomplished through the combination of intellect and emotion. Intellect so as to control the magic and emotion so as to give the magic its power. While one without the other is possible it almost never occurs. Alicorns are very emotional creatures, not to mention incredibly intelligent. This is why their magic is so strong.

A mother looked down at the newborn colt in her hooves. A beautiful creature with a deep brown coat and its mane the shade of honey, but the most striking of his features, however, was the deep gray eyes that seem to bore into your very being with their intelligent gaze. The mother began to tear up. Small droplets of sparkling salt water staining the young colt’s mane.

The officials in front of her were becoming impatient. They had come in accordance to the Unicorn Act of 1 AW, which clearly states that all unaccounted for unicorns must be taken to the Canterlot facilities for testing and labeling.

No one believes a word of it. All that anyone knew for sure was that when they take your foal, and you never see them again.

“Come on ma’am, give us the child.” The lead female official said calmly but firmly. In a voice that was not to be denied.

“Just, just give me a few more minutes, please?” The mother asked pleadingly. Staring longingly at her new born colt, her light tears had turned into racking sobs by this point. A few of the officials standing near the back started to get uncomfortable, shifting their weight back and forth. The official in front was adamant though.

“ma’am, it’s time that you give us the child.” The female official stated, a hint of steel entering her voice. It was at this point something snapped in the mother. Her eyes stopped their gushing of water and she lifted her head to stare defiantly at the officials.

“You want him?” The mother said glaring daggers into the head official. “Too bad for you then, he’s mine!” This outburst of emotion had taken back most of the officials, but the head stood her ground. She even gave a smirk as she pulled out her gun with unicorn magic. Using precision unknown to all but the most skilled and trained fighters she shot a bullet directly into the center of the mother’s forehead.

Or it would have if an orb of light blue magical energy hadn’t stopped the bullet in midflight. “Well darling, it would seem you have to do better than that to finish an Element of Harmony.” The white mare said a determined look in her eye as she pulled off the hat she had been wearing to reveal that she herself was a unicorn. “This child will not be harmed by you gun wielding brutes!” The life that had so recently been drained from this white unicorn was now ablaze with fury. All the officials that had been standing there had galloped off knowing that a mother would do anything and everything to protect her young. Well, all except for the head official, oh no, she would not run. She had in fact sent another four bullets directly at the mare’s head, only to have them stopped by the same blue magical field.

“You having fun Element?” The official spat disdainfully. As if the word itself was poisonous. The air around the two of them was so thick with hate and fury you could cut it with a knife. Each of the ponies waiting for the other to make the first move.

“Why, yes.” Rarity said a slight grim smile on her lips. “Yes I am dear.” With a flash of her horn the bullets changed direction and were shot repetitively, one after the other into the body of the official.

~~~

Running. That is all Rarity could think of, she had to get away. She had to save him. Rarity darted out of her boutique and up the road of Ponyville. Maybe Twilight can help me. She hoped in desperation, as she headed for the library. Yes Twilight always knows what to do. She ran past Lyra, Carrot Top and Vinyl. Rarity didn’t even glance in their direction. Not glancing back was her down fall however, as the official from the boutique used the last of her strength to shoot Rarity in the back.

Pain exploded from the lower area of Rarity’s back as she stumbled forward and fell face first onto the street of Ponyville. Ponies sprinted to Rarity’s side from all around, to see if she was alright. Pinkie was the first to see her crumpled writhing form, Pinkie’s hair deflated in a rush of air. Applejack was next of the Mane 6 to arrive; she sped to Rarity’s side shaking her, begging her to stay, a crowd slowly gathered. The mood was dark and sad as all the ponies gathered knew that it was a lost cause. Some of them were weeping and cursing the sky and the Empire, some were just too stunned to do anything. But Applejack wouldn’t stop, couldn’t stop yelling at Rarity to stay with her. To do it for the others, Twilight and Pinkie and Rainbow, and especially Fluttershy. And if not for them for then for her newborn colt. How did she expect him to live if she wasn’t there for him?

There was only one orphan in Ponyville at the time, a young filly named Scootaloo. Although the town loves her and helps her, she’s still has extreme sadness bottled up inside at the loss of her parents. Applejack had seen what might become of a filly with no parents. She herself had watched her parents die at a young age, she never got over the sadness and she would not let that happen to someone again. Pinkie had also lost her parents not long after she received her cutie mark at the rock farm. Neither of them wanted this foal to feel that pain.

Rarity looked up at Applejack, looked her in the eye and said “Keep him safe, Applejack darling (cough) keep my dear Apt Discover safe.”

“Ah promise.” Applejack answered fresh tears running down her face. “Ah’ll never let anythin’ happen to him.”

“Thank you, darling.” Rarity said a small smile playing across her lips. With that small appreciative sentence, her eyes glazed over and her finale breath left her lifeless body.