• Published 31st Jul 2015
  • 276 Views, 1 Comments

A Wild Heart - LolianTriforce



On their next adventure into the jungle, Ornate and Sombra discover a long lost city and someone's origin is discovered.

  • ...
 1
 276

Chapter 6

Gently setting her down on the bed, Sombra sat on the floor in front of her, his eyes soft and caring. It made her long for the real version of himself, not the one being controlled. Tears continued to roll down her face. He gently wiped them away with his hooves.

"It's alright, darling. We're finally together again. There's no need to be afraid."

Ornate slowly looked at him. Despite his acting, she wasn't fully convinced it was truly him.

"Why Sombra? Why did you agree to this? I thought you had changed."

Sombra's body stiffened before he rose to his hooves. His expression seemed to be a mix of disappointment and understanding.

"I did this for us, for you. You weren't waking up from the spell. I did what I had to in order to save you. Once Eternal Terror attacks Canterlot and takes control, we'll be free to do what we want." Using his magic, he created the silver crown adorned with a ruby and a crimson gown out of thin air before placing them on the bed beside her. "Together we can rule over the Crystal Empire, and we can live a happy life. We can finally marry one another. No more waiting."

Ornate stared at the stallion before her. She could hardly recognize him at this point. Where had the Sombra she had fallen in love with gone? The whole situation seemed like a nightmare she couldn't wake up from.

"What do you say, my dear?"

Ornate found her gaze lowered to the floor.

"I want to see my friend, Velvet. I want to talk with her."

Sombra sneered. "That traitor? Fine, I guess I could allow it."

In an instant, two dark crystal pony guards entered the room. Sombra turned to them.

"Escort the queen to the dungeon. She wishes to visit the prisoner."

Ornate stepped off the bed and made her way out of the bedroom with the guards. The three of them slowly made their way down to the dungeons of the Crystal Castle. In the farthest cell sat Velvet on a lumpy bed against the stone wall. She watched as the guards let Ornate into the cell before closing the door behind her. The two mares quickly embraced each other as the guards departed.

"Ornate, it's good to see you well."

"As well as I can be. I don't understand why he would do this."

"Love can make ponies act a little irrationally."

Ornate gently shoved her friend with a small smile. Velvet chuckled in response.

"So, what's the plan?"

"I'm not sure. I've got to get through to Sombra before Canterlot is attacked. I just don't know how."

"You'll think of something, you always do."

“The crown he wears is controlling him. If I can find a good moment, I could take it off of him and free him from Eternal’s control.”

“Perfect!” Velvet gave her friend another hug before the guards approached the cell again. Opening the door for her, Ornate stepped out as the guards locked the cell. Guiding her out of the dungeon, she looked back once more at her dear friend and received a wave in response. She turned back forward as the guards led her back to the master bedroom. Surprisingly, Sombra was gone, but the crown and the dress remained on the bed, this time with a note beside them.

The guards closed the door behind Ornate before locking it tight. She slowly approached the bed and glanced at the note.

My Dear Ornate,
I wish to invite you tonight to a candlelit dinner between the two of us. We have much to discuss. Please dress accordingly.
Love, Sombra

Ornate sighed as she moved the note to the nightstand. Grabbing the dress, she took off her cloak and tossed it aside before putting it on. She used her hooves to smooth out the skirt while she made her way over to a long mirror in the corner of the room. She pulled the hair tie out from her mane and let her hair down. She had a lot to do to make herself presentable for tonight.

***

Sombra paced in the dining room of the castle five minutes before five o’clock. The amber colors of the fire in the fireplace danced across the walls and illuminated the table in the center of the room. It was covered with a deep crimson tablecloth decorated with gold trim and tassels. A bounty of food was placed on the table among several lit gold candelabras. On either end of the table expensive china and utensils were placed carefully at each seat. With all of the elaborate decorating, he only hoped it would cheer up his queen.

Sombra stopped in front of the fireplace and stared into the flames. As he watched them flicker across the logs, he pulled from his suit pocket the ring box holding the emerald ring with which he tried proposing to Ornate. Perhaps tonight would fare far better than last time.

As the clock struck five, Sombra quickly stowed the box back into the pocket of his suit as the doors to the dining room opened. Standing alongside two guards was his lovely queen. The crimson gown and silver tiara made her look radiant. Her orange mane was let down in wavy curls and her jade eyes glimmered in the candlelight. Sombra felt his heart flutter within his chest.

The guards closed the doors behind her as Sombra made his way over to her.

“You look lovely tonight, my dear.” Gingerly he took her hoof and gave it a kiss. Ornate’s cheeks matched in hue with her dress.

“Thank you.” Her soft tone made Sombra’s heart flutter once more. Without another word he escorted her to her seat, pulling out her chair and pushing it back in as she sat down. Sombra quickly took his own seat and the two began to dine.

“I heard the weather is supposed to be quite nice tonight. Perhaps we can take a stroll after dinner?”

Ornate simply nodded her head as she continued to eat, her eyes remaining elsewhere and refusing to meet his own. Sombra frowned.

“Are you alright, my dear?”

“Yes, I am.”

Sombra could barely stand to see her so meek and mild. What had happened to the mare he loved?

Finishing up their meals, Sombra stood from his seat and made his way over to her. She looked at him hesitantly. Sitting in front of her, he gently took both of her hooves in his own.

“Ornate, you are the love of my life and there is nothing that I want more than to spend the rest of our lives together.”

"Sombra, I don't think--"

Sombra brought one of his hooves up to her mouth, gently shushing her. With the other he withdrew the box from his pocket. Her eyes widened, quickly switching from the box to his gaze. He smiled as he opened the box to her once more, displaying the emerald ring on a gold band.

"Ornate Harmony, will you marry me and become my queen?"

"Sombra, I…"

They each locked eyes with one another, with Sombra desperately wanting to know what she was thinking. Before he could ask her anything, she kissed him tenderly, wrapping her hooves around him. Pleasantly surprised, he melted into her embrace and kissed her back. He almost lost himself in the moment. That is, until he felt his crown being pulled off his head.

He looked at Ornate and found her clutching it in her hooves with a determined expression. Sombra quickly stood up, eyebrows furrowed together.

"Ornate, what are you doing with that?" The mare looked surprised.

"Wh-What? What do you mean?"

"That crown is mine, you know that. Give it back this instant."

"N-No!" She quickly shook her head before sliding off her seat and stepping away from him. "I'm freeing you from Eternal's control!"

"What are you talking about?" Sombra could feel himself getting angry as he stepped towards her. "I'm not under anyone's control! I am the king of the Crystal Empire!"

Ornate's face paled as she continued to back away from him, desperately clutching the crown.

"N-No, this can't be. Removing the object has worked before. Why isn't it working now??"

"I don't know what you're talking about. Give that crown back to me. NOW."

Ornate turned to run out of the room but was stopped as two guards marched in, trapping her in the room with the three of them. Sombra took the opportunity to take the crown back using his magic, placing it back on his head.

"Take the queen back to her room. She must remain there for the rest of the night. As for her friend, I have decided she must be executed seeing she's been a terrible influence on the queen."

"No!! Sombra please!!" Ornate sobbed as the guards dragged her out of the room. Sombra turned away as the door closed and was surprised to see Eternal Terror standing besides the fireplace. Sombra quickly bowed to him.

"Your majesty, what are you doing here? I thought you were attacking Canterlot?"

"All in due time, my loyal servant. The armies are gathered and ready to attack, but I felt it important to speak with you before we advanced."

Sombra stood back up and looked curiously at the yellow pegasus. The stallion stepped away from the fireplace and made his way over to Sombra before beginning to circle him.

"Your queen hasn't been very obedient to you. Are you sure she's the one you wish to rule beside you?"

"Yes, of course, your majesty. I love her with all my heart."

Eternal stopped pacing right in front of Sombra and lowered his head to match his gaze.

"Then you must understand just how dangerous this situation is. Whatever happens, you must make sure your mare never sings. If this happens, I'm afraid you will lose your powers and ultimately will be dethroned. I suggest you keep her under your control, or else she will have to get the ax, too."

"I… I understand, your majesty."

Eternal stood up straight with a slight smirk on his face. He began to walk to the door.

"Make sure all your citizens are aware they are not to sing under threat of death. If you can do that, things will go alright."

Sombra nodded as the yellow pegasus teleported from the room. He turned to a nearby guard.

"Spread the word to the crystal ponies. No one sings under threat of death."

Author's Note:

Alright, I know this was fast, but I had a good portion of this chapter already done before uploading the last chapter. Here's the bad news, Chapter 7 will take some time. I am hoping to have it done before the end of the year, but I can't make any guarantees. It all depends on motivation, inspiration, and avoiding art block. However, I will try to post updates and sneak peaks when I can. Enjoy!

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment