• Published 31st Jul 2015
  • 276 Views, 1 Comments

A Wild Heart - LolianTriforce



On their next adventure into the jungle, Ornate and Sombra discover a long lost city and someone's origin is discovered.

  • ...
 1
 276

Chapter 3

Sombra sat solemnly next to Ornate’s hospital bed. She remained still and lifeless as she did when he found her. It had been two weeks since their engagement with the Zebra Civilization, and every spell and cure they had tried on her had been in vain.

Sombra stood up and began to trot around her bed, pacing and waiting. There was a zebra coming in soon, named Zecora, to inspect Ornate. Sombra hoped that she would be able to help.

It wasn’t long before Celestia walked into the room with a hooded mare beside her. Slowly, the mare removed her hood, revealing herself to be a zebra, presumably Zecora, Sombra thought.

Zecora calmly walked over to the bed and peered down at the dazed zebra before her. She began to poke and prod at her, testing the limits of the spell. Finally, she looked up at them.

“The spell she is under was casted long ago,” she began. “A cure will be difficult to find and bestow.”

“Is there anything you can do, Zecora?” Sombra desperately pleaded.

She shook her head.

“There is very little I can do. The magic is otherworldly, too.”

“Otherworldly?” Sombra asked.

“Magic, or anything for that matter, that is not from our world, is known as otherworldly,” Celestia explained. “I would like to know how otherworldly magic was brought here.”

“Two ponies that are otherworldly dwell among us,” Zecora remarked. “One is dark and is here to deceive us. The other, pure of heart, but distraught by fear. The pure will find the dark and remove all the bad that has transpired here.”

“Who is the one who can defeat the dark otherworldly pony?” Celestia asked.

“That I cannot tell,” Zecora spoke softly. “For I am also bound by an otherworldly spell.”

“So you’ve seen these two ponies?” Sombra questioned.

Zecora nodded.

“Both otherworldly,” she answered, “but only one was born courageously.”

“Thank you, Zecora,” Celestia remarked. “If there is anything else you can tell us, please let us know.”

She nodded, and with that, she left. Celestia sat down upon the ground and rubbed her temples with her hooves. Sombra laid his chin upon the bed, staring at Ornate.

“This has all become a mess,” Celestia mumbled.

Sombra began to sob quietly. Celestia watched him, her ears slowly lowering. She looked away after a while and walked out of the room, closing the door behind her. Sombra continued to wail, and didn’t notice the pegasus from before sneaking into the room.

He stood behind him, scowling at the pathetic pony. The red ruby adorning his mask turned into a ruby red unicorn horn. His horn glowed with black magic, which picked up Sombra and tossed him into the wall. Sombra slid down to the ground, panting and cringing in pain.

“You’re pathetic,” he said. “Crying over her will do nothing. The spell is too powerful for any of you.”

“You’re the dark pony,” Sombra gasped.

“That’s right, but you’ll never find the one who is meant to defeat me.”

Sombra arose from the ground, striking a menacing pose. This only made the pegasus laugh.

“Even if you could beat me in a fight, it would do nothing to save her.”

“How do you even know?!”

“Because I am the one responsible for controlling ponies with the cat’s eye pendants.”

Sombra’s eyes widened, before narrowing again. He charged up to him, his horn glowing dark red. The pegasus used his magic to swing Sombra away again.

“Don’t you get it?” he asked. “You’re weak. The only way you’ll save her is if you listen to me.”

Sombra slowly stood, panting. He glared at the pegasus before giving in.

“What do you want from me?”

“I want you to join me.”

Sombra looked away.

“I’m trying to get people to trust me again.”

“I know you, Sombra. I know what you did to the Crystal Empire. And I know you want to do that to all of Equestria.”

“I don’t want to do that anymore,” Sombra growled.

“Once a villain, always a villain,” the pegasus cackled. “I see the true desires of your heart. I saved you. This mare has you under a spell.”

Sombra glanced at Ornate. He knew what the pegasus was saying wasn’t true, but also he knew listening to him was the only way to save the mare he loved. He cringed at the thought of returning to his evil duties after finally convincing everyone he was good.

“Think of it, Sombra. All of Equestria at your hooves, and the zebra as your queen. Ruling side by side with an iron hoof. Isn’t that what you want?”

Sombra sat on the floor, dazed. He didn’t notice the pegasus’ amulet horn upon his purple crown charged with magic, creating a crown upon Sombra’s head. The jewels upon it were emerald green cat’s eye gems, much like the ones found on the pendant and belt. Sombra’s eyes turned steely cold. He stood up and confronted the pegasus.

“I am ready to begin conquest, my liege,” Sombra spoke softly.

The pegasus smirked in delight. His magic began to glow once again, surrounding Ornate’s body. As she began to wake up, the pegasus disappeared in an instant. Slowly, she sat up and looked around.

“Where am I?” she asked aloud.

“Safe and sound, my dear,” Sombra spoke with a rich timbre.

Ornate looked at him, eyes wide and her whole body shaking.

“S-Sombra, what happened to you?”

“I have been given the power to make all our dreams come true.”

He approached her slowly, allowing her to notice the crown upon his head.

“Sombra, what have you done?” Ornate cried.

“We’re going to rule Equestria, my dear,” Sombra cackled. “Side by side, king and queen.”

A silver crown formed in the air in front of Sombra with a glimmering ruby adorning it.

“Help me take over Equestria, Ornate. Become my queen.”

Ornate was staring at him with wide eyes. She started to back up until she felt her back end hit the wall. She looked back to see she was right in front of an open window, leading outside onto the roof. She looked back at Sombra, who was slowly inching closer to her with the crown in front of him. Taking a deep breath, Ornate jumped out the window behind her and slid down the shingles to the edge of the roof. She could hear Sombra yelling from the window. She looked down the ledge to find another section of roof. She hopped down and ran along the roof to get away from Sombra as fast as she could.

The roof she was on was far from the ground, so she began to look around for another empty window. She spotted one on the far side of the castle. She immediately felt relief to see that exit. Then, she heard hooves slamming on the shingles behind her. She turned and saw Sombra glaring at her with his deep, blood red eyes. Jolted, she started to sprint across the roof to the empty window with Sombra close behind.

“Ornate!” Sombra yelled.

Ornate ran as fast as she could until she finally got close to the window and dashed inside. She continued to run down the hallway, frantically looking around for somepony to help her. She could hear Sombra jumping in through the window and running after her. She ran as quickly as she could to the throne room and kicked in the door.

Celestia was sitting at her throne when the doors opened, the sound jolting her focus to Ornate.

“Ornate?” she asked, surprised. “You’re up?”

“Help me!” she screamed as she ran towards Celestia.

She made it up to her throne when Sombra ran to the doors and stopped, breathing heavily from all the chasing. Celestia’s eyes widened as she realized what had happened. She stood from her throne, her horn blazing with a gold magic aura and stormed across the room to Sombra. He, in turn, charged his horn with dark red magic and stood his ground. Luna stood protectively in front of Ornate, who was shaking in fear.

“Sombra,” Celestia hissed in a low voice. “A small part of me never wanted this to happen. It was only a matter of time.”

“Stand down, Celestia,” Sombra growled. “Don’t stand in my way. Ornate is to be my queen. Together, she and I will take over Equestria and rule it together.”

“So be it. Sombra, by the authority vested in me, I hereby banish you for treason!”

Celestia launched a beam of magic at Sombra, who disappeared in a flash.

“This isn’t the end!” Sombra’s cackle echoed in the throne room. “Ornate, you will be my queen and you will rule by my side! I’ll be back for you!”

He began to laugh maniacally, and soon, it faded into nothing. Celestia stopped her magic and turned towards Ornate. Luna was now cradling her, and Ornate was sobbing uncontrollably.

“Don’t worry, Ornate,” Celestia said softly. “Princess Cadence and Shining Armor will watch over you in the Crystal Empire.”