• Published 31st Jul 2015
  • 276 Views, 1 Comments

A Wild Heart - LolianTriforce



On their next adventure into the jungle, Ornate and Sombra discover a long lost city and someone's origin is discovered.

  • ...
 1
 276

Chapter 5

Ornate watched in horror as the black crystal figures in the streets began rounding up the citizens of the Crystal Empire. Though the window was far from the ground, she spotted Sombra almost instantly. Her eyes locked onto him, a twinge of fear shook her to her core. He was a totally different pony from the one she once knew. It scared her how much he had changed. Velvet quickly pulled her away from the window. Ornate snapped out of the daze she hadn’t realized she had fallen into.

“We can’t let him see you,” Velvet quivered. “That’s the whole reason he’s here, right?”

Ornate nodded. As much as it pained her, she knew she couldn’t let him find her. Sitting on the bed, her emotions started to overpower her mind, and she crumbled into a sobbing mess. Velvet quickly sat down next to her and gently put her hoof around her.

“It’s going to be okay, Ornate,” she gently assured. “We won’t let him get to you. Not today.”

***

Cadence sat on her throne with Shining Armor by her side. She knew that this would happen, and yet, it terrified her. Sombra was indeed a powerful pony, even more so with this army he had brought to her door. Whatever pony had given Sombra his newfound power and his army was much stronger than she or even Luna and Celestia could have ever imagined. Shining Armor gently put his hoof on hers.

“It’s going to be alright, dear. We prepared for this.”

Cadence kissed her husband’s cheek. “I know, but it’s still--”

Suddenly, the doors to the throne room slammed open with terrific force. It startled Cadence and Shining Armor, and their heads snapped towards the door. There he stood, in his shadowy glory, Sombra himself. His eyes were a deeper crimson than they ever had before. This crown, adorned with cat eye gems, felt unfamiliar and strange to see. Slowly, he sauntered to the middle of the throne room and stopped before Cadence.

“Good evening, Princess Cadence,” he spoke calmly. “I’m sure you both know why I’m here.”

“We know full well that you’re just here to take what you think is yours,” Shining Armor spat. “But despite what you may think, Ornate and the Crystal Empire do not belong to you!”

Sombra did not react at all to what Shining had just said. He just blinked.

“I’m afraid you haven’t been informed correctly then,” he chided. “In a matter of hours, Canterlot will be attacked and a new king of Equestria will be crowned this evening. Once he has the authority, he will just give me the Crystal Empire. I’m just here to either win it before then, or just wait until it is given to me on a silver platter.”

Cadence sat quietly, staring at Sombra. She couldn’t believe just how much he had changed in such a short span of time.

“We will never surrender!” Shining taunted.

“Fine, then a battle we shall have,” Sombra’s eyes glimmered.

Cadence tensed up. “Shining, don’t--!”

Before she knew it, Shining Armor was charging towards Sombra, his horn glowing brighter than ever before. In an instant, both stallions were locked in combat, their horns shimmering as they rammed head on. They started to circle each other, each starting daggers at one another. Shining retreated a bit, before charging again, only to be met with Sombra’s horn once again. Over and over, the two charged and clashed.

Finally tired of the situation, Sombra charged a beam of magic at Shining, slamming him to the ground and holding him there. Try as he might, Shining Armor could not get up again. Sombra approached the throne.

“It’s over, Princess Cadence. It’s time to surrender.”

Cadence hung her head as she vacated the throne over to her husband. Sombra retracted his spell from Shining and sat upon the throne. Cadence quickly teleported herself and her husband out of the throne room to Canterlot. Sombra smiled sinisterly.

“At last, my subjects, I have returned!”

Turning to some of the dark crystal ponies in the throne room, Sombra directed them to the hallway.

“Search the castle for Ornate. She’s here somewhere.”

The dark crystal ponies did not hesitate to immediately storm down the hallway in search of Sombra’s bride. Breaking down each door, the ponies stormed the castle. It did not take them long to find Ornate and Velvet in one of the guest rooms. Quickly, they took them to the throne room and stood them in front of Sombra.

He eyed them suspiciously. Slowly, he descended from his throne and approached Velvet.

“The Crystal Empire tailor? What are you doing in the castle, may I ask?”

“I was brought here to tailor some clothes,” Velvet said defiantly.

“I see. But you also happen to be Ornate’s best friend, are you not?

Velvet visibly tensed up. Standing stiffly, she was silent for a moment.

“I am, but she is not here.”

Sombra immediately got up in her face.

“I don’t believe you for a second,” he spat. “I have informants that have reported her coming here by order of the Princesses themselves. Now tell me, where is Ornate?”

Velvet stared at him, searching for an ounce of humanity within him.

“She is not here.”

Sombra huffed, immediately turning his attention to the other pony before him.

“And you, I haven’t seen you before. Why are you here?”

Ornate stood there, horrified at the pony Sombra had become. She was too scared to speak, knowing that he would immediately figure out who she was the second she spoke. She began to shake. Sombra became furious.

“I am the King of the Crystal Empire! You will respond to me! NOW!”

Ornate crumpled to the ground, her hooves covering her head.

“Please,” she begged, “Stop yelling at me.”

Sombra halted and his face drained.

“Ornate…. Is that you?” He gasped.

Ornate did not move, tears continuously streaming down her face. At that moment, Sombra spotted the pendant around her neck. He teleported it off her neck and held it above her. In an instant, her disguise melted away before his eyes, revealing the pony he had been searching for. Throwing the pendant behind him, Sombra collapsed in front of her, gently lifting up her chin with his hoof.

“Ornate, I’m sorry,” Sombra softly spoke. “I had no idea it was you.”

Ornate moved her head away, burying her head under her front legs. Sombra slowly stood up, gently moving Ornate to his back using his magic. He turned to his soldiers.

“Take this tailor to the dungeon,” he ordered. “She has already proven to be untrustworthy.”

Sombra began to walk down the hall as his soldiers swarmed Velvet and began to drag her out of the throne room, Velvet protesting the whole time. Ornate continued to tremble as Sombra walked to the master bedroom.

Author's Note:

It's a miracle! I actually posted a chapter! I apologize profusely for the hiatus, things have been a little crazy in my life, from graduating college to getting married. My motivations have been a little slow to get this story finished, but I promise you I will finish it. I'm hoping to get the next few chapters done in the next few months, so hopefully there will be more! Thank you so much for your patience!