• Published 29th Apr 2017
  • 13,556 Views, 1,418 Comments

Truly Divine - Onomonopia

  • ...
71
 1,418
 13,556

A Ruler's Duty

The vast, coldness of space was generally devoid of anything that wasn't a planet or a star, but near the moon that circled Equestria a broken and bloodied deity floated in the vacuum. Thor, the god of thunder, had been utterly crushed by the power of Galactus. The power cosmic had overcome his own godly might and left him shattered practically beyond repair. Had he been a weaker god, the blast of power cosmic would have slain him dead. But Thor had never been a god to roll over and die. He was far too stubborn.

Yet even though his unbreakable will refused to allow him to die, it didn't do much good for the rest of his body. His bones were shattered, his armor was pierced and his cape was torn. His golden blond hair was stained crimson and his thunder, which had once rumbled with enough power to shake the stars, was a mere whisper.

Perhaps on will or maybe on instinct Thor slowly reached out with his left hand, calling out to the one friend that would never abandon him in his hour of need. Yet though to coldness of space hardly registered to the god of thunder, the emptiness in his hand when his hammer did not return to him was a blow far greater than anything Galactus could have done to him.

With the darkness closing in Thor leaned his head back and closed his eyes once more, summoning whatever strength he had left to begin to heal. Unlike a good number of the heroes that he knew, Thor did not have a quick or enhanced healing factor. His ability to heal came from the fact that he was a divine and it generally took a while to kick in, days to weeks on end to fully heal from a terrible wound. But he didn't have time to wait. So he'd have to recharge himself in a faster way.

With all of his might Thor thrust his hand into the vacuum of space, summing storm clouds over his head. While the sight would have driven any scientist mad, Thor's powers were not confined to the science or laws of nature. They, like him, were divine. So when the first bolt of lightning came crashing down from the clouds in space upon the god of thunder, he felt a surge of energy course through him.

'I can hear them,' Thor thought as another bolt came crashing down into his chest, getting his entire body to kick. Over the pain that flooded his mind Thor could hear the beings that lived on the planet below screaming out for help. He did not hear their prayers because they were praying to him, though some of them were. He was able to hear them because they were praying to anyone that would listen.

As another bolt of lightning stuck the god of thunder Thor felt his strength beginning to return. With a roar that was lost in the silence of space Thor swung himself to a vertical position. With the ability to think clearly having been returned to him, he took a guess at the reason why his old friend had not returned to him.

'The only reason that Mjolnir would not heed my call would be that there is another that is wielding it. And there is only one on Equestria that can wield the mighty Mjolnir,' Thor deduced as he swung himself around to gaze down at the planet below, able to see a spot near Canterlot where the power cosmic was swirling like a storm over the land. 'And I know why she would be wielding it. Galactus seeks to devour Equestria. He shall have to go hungry today.'

Summoning the power of lightning within his hands, Thor then unleashed a thunderstorm behind him and used the force to propel himself towards the planet below. He crossed his arms as he entered into the planet's atmosphere, gritting his teeth as the searing temperatures burned his weakened body. Yet after numerous minutes he broke free of the atmosphere and began his descent towards the planet, hoping that he had angled himself just right so that he would land where Galactus was.

'But what then?' Thor asked himself as he continued to fall, having some time to try and think of a plan. 'He has already proven that I cannot best him alone and I cannot sit by and wait for the Avengers to come to my aid. By the time that they arrive this world will have been consumed and it's inhabitants lost. Even with the aid of Celestia and the others, Galactus is too strong to try and defeat. There must be a way. There has to be.'

{([])}

After fighting the titans, being swarmed by beasts of shadows and having fought with literal gods, Celestia had begun to think that there was nothing in the universe that could scare her anymore. So of course the universe had to go and prove her wrong, for she felt completely terrified of the monster of a being that towered over everything in its path.

She, her sister and Discord had already engaged the being in combat, but to her horror she found that the titan of a being was hardly phased by any attacks that she or any others put forward. What was making the battle all the worse was that she was wielding Mjolnir, the most powerful weapon that she had ever held, yet even the might of the hammer barely seemed to slow down the giant creature. She and her sister decided to fall back while Discord and the Ambassadors kept it busy.

"Nothing we do phases it, sister," Luna informed Celestia in an exhausted voice once the two had landed a little ways away from the battle. "My strongest spells, Discords greatest attacks and even the hammer of a god seem to do nothing to the creature. And it's power is like nothing I have ever seen or felt in my entire life. It dwarfs Thor's power and Thor's power dwarfed every other power I have come across. What manner of beast is this?!"

"I know not, but if it is powerful enough to best Thor than it will take everything we have and then some if we wish to bring it down," Celestia stated as she gazed down at the hammer once more, wishing that it could speak to her like it did Thor.

"It is barely paying us any mind and yet it's still so overwhelmingly powerful," Luna said with a shake of her head. "Nothing we do hurts it while a flick of its finger could wipe out our world. We need something or somepony to help sister. Something that can even the odds."

Celestia didn't have a response for her sister, as she too was trying to think of something that could slow the being down. But then the sound of thunder could be heard and both sisters turned their gazes towards the heavens, where a small ball of fire was heading towards them.

"Speak of the god and he shall appear," Luna said with a sigh of relief. The two princesses took to the sky and followed the ball of fire, right until it rocketed past them and crashed into the planet with enough force to get the giant monster to turn his head in their direction. For a moment the being considered the crater before it turned back to what it was originally doing.

"Lord Thor!" Celestia cried as she and Luna raced towards the craters edge, unable to see what was within it due to the smoke and ash. But after a moment a bloodied hand grabbed the edge of the crater and pulled forth an even bloodier god from within. Celestia and Luna moved to the side as Thor pulled himself free of the crater, breathing heavily with his whole body trembling. "Dear Faust, what has happened to you?"

"Galactus happened to me," Thor said as he turned his gaze over towards where Galactus was. The Ambassadors of Harmony were laying scattered around the giant's feet, while Discord was doing everything in his power to keep Galactus from concentrating. Galactus tried numerous times to slay the god of Equestria with a blast of the power cosmic, yet somehow Discord just managed to get out of the way each time.

"What is Galactus? What is he doing here?" Luna asked, the fear overriding her normally calm demeanor.

"His is an ancient being that has been in existence as long as the universe has been. He is fueled by the worlds that he feasts on and his power cosmic is one of the most powerful energies in all the nine realms," Thor said quickly to both of the sisters, who had to shake their heads at his words.

"I'm sorry, did you just say that he eats PLANETS?!" Luna roared in absolute terror, while Celestia looked to be on the verge of a mental breakdown.

"Then what do we do against that kind of strength? What do we do against an eater of worlds?! Please Thor, tell me you have a solution," Celestia asked Thor, praying that he had an answer. Thor heard both her words and her prayers and nodded with a small smile on his face, but Celestia noticed that it was filled with a bitter regret.

"We cannot fight him. He is too strong. We cannot run from him in time. Within ten minutes his hunger will devour this world," Thor said in a bitter tone, before he reached out and took the hammer from Celestia. "So that leaves only one option left."

Without waiting for the princesses to response Thor hurled himself towards Galactus, timing his arrival perfectly so that right when Galactus fired another blast of the power cosmic towards Discord, Thor was able to intercept with Mjolnir and knock the blast into the heavens.

"Thor?" Discord asked, but before he could say anything else Thor grabbed Discord and threw him over to where the princesses were watching, leaving Thor alone to face Galactus. Thor gazed up at the being cosmic, who stared down at him with a look of annoyance upon Galactus's face. Thor then slowly lowered himself to the ground across the field from where Galactus stood, taking in a heavy breath in preparation for what he was about to do.

"Thor. How hard can it be to kill a god?" Galactus asked Thor.

"Very hard, Galactus, as you have seen," Thor replied in a respectful tone, one that was not lost upon Galactus. "But I am not here to fight you. I...know that I cannot best you. Not the way I am now."

"Then you will leave this planet to be consumed? I did not believe that you had that in you," Galactus asked in a perplexed voice.

"Nay, I will not let you have Equis. This is home to many great ponies and other life forms, all of who deserve the chance to live," Thor replied with thunder. His words made Galactus's eyes narrow and the power cosmic began to flow through his hands once more.

"Your make no sense, little god. You say that you do not wish to fight me, yet you will not allow this world to be consumed? You cannot have one without the other," Galactus threatened Thor.

"Actually, I can Galactus. My might is not enough to slay you. My divine magic will not be enough to stop the destruction of this world. Every tool I have will not allow me to prevail. You have left me with my last resort," Thor said to Galactus. The being cosmic narrowed his eyes and prepared for Thor's next move. Thor's response was to slowly lower Mjolnir to the ground, before he reached up and took off his helmet and placed it next to the hammer. He then lowered his head, much to the confusion of Galactus.

"I beg of you Galactus, spare this world. Spare those on it and find a nearby planet to feast upon," Thor begged to Galactus through gritted teeth. Galactus wore a look of surprise on his face at Thor's actions, but his mind was not convinced. "You said it yourself that you have feasted on many magical words. Even an eternal being like yourself must get tired of eating the same food over and over. But there are numerous planets nearby that you could feast upon that would quell your hunger."

"Perhaps. But I am here. And this planet will quell my hunger for the time being," Galactus stated, getting Thor to seethe with rage. "Why should Galactus hear your please, pleas that he has heard from so many? I should simply devour this planet and be on my way."

"Then I will find you a planet! A planet the likes of which you have never tasted before, one that will quell your hunger far longer than any other planet that you have ever devoured!" Thor pleaded with Galactus, who tilted his head to the side with interest. "I will scour the heavens and search for a planet that you will find worthy!"

"Why should I believe you? You are clearly doing this to try and be rid of me. How can I know you will keep your word?" Galactus asked Thor. For a long moment Thor didn't reply. Then, slowly, as if it was taking every last ounce of his fiber to perform the action, Thor slowly lowered himself onto one knee. He placed a fist on the ground and bowed his head to Galactus, who looked down upon Thor with interest.

"I give you my word that I will find you a planet," Thor promised in a near whisper.

"How do I know your word will be good?"

"Because if it fails, then this planet is doomed. And I will do whatever it takes to save this world. Even bowing to you."

For a long time for those watching, but only a few minutes in real time, Galactus stared down at the god of thunder. The being cosmic didn't know what to make of Thor. He knew that he could crush Thor and eat the world. That would not be a problem. But there would be a fight. And that would make him hungrier. Then there was the issue that this planet was not as substantial as he would have wished, almost as if it's very magical nature was fighting against him. Eating it may not be enough to fill his hunger after a true battle with the god of thunder.

Yet he also knew about Thor's pride. His pride was as well known as Thor himself, so he knew what a massive blow to Thor's pride it must have been to kneel to him. Thor would never have done that unless he truly had no other options. Galactus also knew that Thor's word was his bond. He would follow up on his promise.

"Find me a world, herald of thunder," Galactus said to Thor, getting Thor's head to shoot up at the titan. Galactus then turned away from Thor. "Find me a world that is unlike any I have eaten before, even if you must spend the rest of your immortal life to do it. And if you do not, I shall return to this world and annihilate it with such force that you will wish that I had simply eaten it. Say your goodbyes then get to work. I hold you to your word."

Galactus then unleashed the power cosmic from his hands and ascended into the sky, leaving Thor to watch with disbelief as the being cosmic left his sight. At that moment Thor didn't know what was more unbelievable. That he had bowed his knee to a being that had tried to kill him or his world so many times. Or that is plan had worked and that Galactus was gone.

'I suppose for the time being I shall take my victory,' Thor thought with a shake of his head as he glanced to his side to see Celestia, Luna and Discord all heading towards him. 'This world is safe. That is all that matters. Tomorrow I will begin to wonder about what world I can find for Galactus. For he keeps his promises, much like I do mine.'

"That...what happened? Why did he leave?" Luna asked in disbelief as she gazed at the heavens, unable to see Galactus any longer.

"I made him an offer. An offer that even an eternal being like Galactus wouldn't be able to turn down," Thor revealed to the three, before he gazed up at Celestia with a kind smile. "And I did it by listening to you, princess of the sun."

"Listen to me? But I didn't tell you anything remotely useful in defeating that titan," Celestia said.

"Not when I was fighting Galactus, but long ago, when you first truly spoke to me," Thor revealed. "You told me that, in the interest of those that they seek to protect. That sometimes even a ruler or god...must bow their head."