• Published 29th Apr 2017
  • 13,501 Views, 1,418 Comments

Truly Divine - Onomonopia

  • ...
71
 1,418
 13,501

Ascended

The first line of the dark beasts had the pleasure of being introduced to Mjolnir. Dozens of shadow beasts were hurled into the air and sent flying into the walls of the chambers, where they disintegrated on impact. Thor then lashed out with his free arm and caught one of the shadow beings in the throat, tearing its head from its body. Yet even with thirteen of the shadow beasts destroyed in an instant, as the god of thunder looked over the room he believed that there may have been more shadow beasts.

"We must get to the alter. If there are this many shadow beasts in this room, then their master cannot be far behind!" Thor roared to the rest of the group. "Leave the shadow beasts to me! Get to the alter. As for you shadow beasts...have at thee!"

The god of thunder bellowed before he hurled himself into the swarm of shadows, crashing into the shadows with the force of a storm. Within the bodies of darkness that surrounded him Thor unleashed torrents of lightning, which blasted apart the dark beings around. Thor then held Mjolnir aloft and sent the lightning crashing out from it, striking down the shadow beings that were trying to get in the way of the ponies and Discord.

"Ambassadors, with me," Celestia instructed before she unleashed solar magic into a swarm of shadow beasts. "These creatures may not be a match for Thor, but they can certainly harm us. We must stick together if we wish to get out of this alive."

"What should I do?" Discord asked Celestia.

"Keep the shadow creatures off of us. And also keep an eye out for whoever is in control of these creatures. I know that they will not be far from this fight."

Discord nodded before snapping his fingers, creating a cloud of smoke around him that obstructed his form from view. Within the smoke his form expanded and shifted, growing until his head nearly touched the ceiling. The smoke cleared and the now massive god of chaos looked down at the shadow beasts with a toothy grin.

"Now normally I'm not the one to break up a chaotic little battle such as this, but unfortunately for all of you I seem to be one of the good guys now," Discord informed the shadow beasts before he opened his maw wide and unleashed a blast of green fire into the shadow creatures. His divine power was nowhere close to Thor's, but it was still great enough to push the shadow beings back long enough for Celestia and her group to break through.

"Discord is keeping them off of us, so what's the plan when we get to the alter, princess?" Twilight asked Celestia, before three shadow creatures leapt into their path. All three sets of alicorn horns glowed at once and each of them fired a blast that obliterated the shadow beasts back into the darkness.

"I may not have the book of the divine with me, but I know Faust and I know that she will not let somepony evil become a god. So when we get to the alter each of us will stand upon it and see which one of us the alter deems worthy of being a god," Celestia told the ponies, whose eyes went wide at her words. "I know that my words come as a surprise, but it is the only way to ensure that whoever is trying to obtain godhood does not get it. I wish I could think of another solution, but at the moment it is all we can do."

"And you're certain that one of us has what it takes to become...a goddess?" Luna asked with some awe in her voice. "Even without the book?"

"I am flanked by seven of the bravest and most noble ponies in this land. One of us must certainly be worthy. We must be," Celestia said with utter confidence as her group ran closer to the alter. More shadow beasts tried to block their path, yet every time it seemed like the eight were going to be overwhelmed the twin gods looking out for them would strike down the shadows in their path.

"We are nearly there, hurry!" Celestia ordered after Thor used his hammer to clear a path for them, getting the group to sprint towards the alter with all the speed they could muster. As they approached the divine place Celestia began to pray, pray to Faust that she would be willing to chose one of them even if they didn't have the book. 'Faust I know that I have asked for much ever since your absences, but just this one please answer my prayers. Do not allow whoever is behind these attacks to become god of our land. Please let it be somepony I can trust...even if it is not me.'

The alter was within their grasp and with a good chunk of the shadow beings have been decimated by Thor and Discord, for a few moments the ponies believed that they were going to make it. Then a bolt of black lightning came crashing down from above and struck the very foot of the alter before the ponies, getting them to come to a dead stop as the lightning blocked their path.

Then a figure formed in the center of the lightning, one that made the ponies back away with fear and trepidation. The figure wore a long, black cloak that masked their entire body. A hood covered the beings head, though there were points stick through the hood that showed there were horns on the being. Yet even though the group could not see its features, they could feel the dark power that radiated from it, a power the likes of which they had never felt before.

"Ah, so this is where Faust has been hiding her alter for all these millennium," the being said in a powerful voice, one that nearly pushed the ponies back from the force of the voice alone. "The realm between the living in the dead, hidden far to the north of Equestria. I would not have found for a few hundred years more at least. How clever of her."

"Whoever you are, stand aside. You are not worthy to stand on the alter of Faust!" Celestia roared at the hooded creature, who slowly turned its head towards the princess of the sun. For a brief moment the ponies could see four red eyes glaring at her from beneath the hood, only for darkness to cloud the eyes from their sight once more.

"And you eight are? A princess that failed to keep her nation safe? A princess that gave into her own emotions and nearly destroyed the land she once called home? Or perhaps you are referring to the six behind you, six ponies that are so young and naïve that they believe that they understand the first thing about being a divine? No, I am the only one worthy to stand upon this alter. And I am the only one worthy of taking the title as god of Equestria."

"We won't let you," Luna promised as she took a step forward towards the being, who slowly moved its head to glance at the princess of the moon. "If you are here to take the power of godhood that means you are not yet a divine. And that means you can and will fall to us!"

Luna then let out a roar as she unleashed her full lunar power towards the cloaked being, who didn't bother to move as they were consumed with the lunar energy. Her magic was so powerful that it darkened the room for a moment in black and blues hues, before the princess ceased her spell and gazed at the spot where their foe had stood.

Yet to her horror the cloaked being walked forward through the smoke created by the attack without a scratch on them. The cloak they wore was torn and ripped apart, revealing strange looking armor underneath of the cloak. Yet the face was still masked, only now the ponies could feel an anger radiating from the cloaked being.

"It seems that your efforts to stop me are just as pitiful as all of your attempts to deal with evil in Equestria. I do not know why you princesses try. You should just leave the dealing of evil to the Ambassadors and sit in your castle, where you belong."

The cloaked being then created a duel sphere of light and darkness before him, one that held a power within it akin to the divine. All eight sets of eyes widened in terror as they gazed at the magical sphere, before the cloak being let out a small chuckle. In the next instance the sphere unleashed a burst of divine power towards the two princesses, who just had enough time to widen their eyes before a divine blast of lightning intercepted the sphere and decimated it.

The god of thunder then landed between the ponies and the cloaked being, towering over all of them as he turned his thunderous gaze upon the being in the cloak. Despite the power that the cloaked being held, it slightly backed away from the god of thunder while its eyes were trained on his hammer the entire time.

"Thor. I had hoped that my shadow beings would have kept you busy for a little longer than that," the cloaked being snarled as he backed onto the alter, with Thor slowly advancing towards him.

"Sadly, your creatures are as pathetic as you are. Why hide your face, being? Or rather, should I say faces?" Thor asked the cloaked being with a smirk. The cloaked being reeled back in surprise, before he let out a small chuckle as he gripped the edge of his cloak. He then ripped the cloak from his body and tossed it to the side, revealing a strange being that was covered in white armor, but had a mask upon its face. One that was both smiling and frowning and had a crack down the center of it.

"Janis?" Celestia and Luna both asked in shock, while the Ambassadors narrowed their eyes.

"How did you figure it out, Thor?" Janis asked Thor, both halves of the mask glaring at the god of thunder with hatred and rage. "I made sure to cover my tracks perfectly. I even put ideas in place making it seem that the fool Sombra had returned and was trying to become a god."

"It was simple, really. I've fought with every other god in this land aside from you. I figured it would only be a matter of time before I found you as my opponent," Thor revealed as he pointed Mjolnir towards Janis, who backed away as if struck. "Thou has made a grave error in coming here as well as made a grave error in your schemes. You should know better than any that a god cannot be made a god again."

"Wait, what do you mean?" Twilight asked Thor.

"A god may only become a god once. There is no such thing as a god of gods or anything like that. Janis is already a divine of another nation. He cannot become the official god of your land like he intends to do. And before thou ask, I was never the true god of your nation. I was more of a placeholder than anything."

"You words all ring true Thor, for I, Janis, have already been declared the god of the elk from a power beyond me," Janis said with a small chuckle, before his expression changed and what seemed like four eyes began to glow with hatred. "But say that there was another soul living inside me, another being that hadn't yet been declared that divine. Would they not be able to take that title?"

"NO!" Thor bellowed as he took a step towards Sinaj, but the moment Thor moved a torrent of darkness came raining down upon the group, getting Thor to roar as he placed himself between the ponies and the darkness. Thor absorbed the full force of the attack yet the blast of darkness was still strong enough to send the group flying backwards away from the alter. Sinaj smiled at the fools before he held out a hand, getting one of the shadow beasts to place the book of the divine into his grasp. Sinaj then turned towards the statue of the alicorn, smirking up at it before he opened the book.

"For so long you have tried to keep me away from your home and your ponies. But without you here, there is nopony that can stop me from become the true god that I am destined to become. So weep Faust, weep as you gaze upon the last moments of freedom that your nations has."

Sinaj then began to chant incantations found within the book, incantations that caused the alter around him to glow with a divine power. Thor let out a thunderous roar as he broke free of the torrent of darkness that was trying to keep him and the others pinned, hurling the mighty Mjolnir towards the gods. But right before it could impact, a portal into the darkness appeared and Mjolnir flew into the unknown. The torrent of darkness then doubled its efforts and a moment later the hammer returned, flying into the back of the god of thunder. The blow sent Thor crashing to the ground, leaving none to stand against Sinaj.

"By the power of the gods, I declare this to the heavens. I will take the place of the fallen. I will be the deity of the abandoned. I, Sinaj, will be...god of Equestria!"

With another roar of thunder and lightning Thor decimated the shadow torrent and blasted it into oblivion, but when he and the others were free of the darkness they found Sinaj looking at the group with a triumphant smile on his faces, one that sent chills down the spines of the group.

"You are too late Thor. Now I, Sinaj, the other half of Janis, am the god of Equestria. Bow before me."