• Published 29th Apr 2017
  • 13,551 Views, 1,418 Comments

Truly Divine - Onomonopia

  • ...
71
 1,418
 13,551

Expert

"First it was the titans. Then it was a god of thunder. And now it's beasts made of shadows that are harder to kill than cockroaches," Celestia grumbled aloud as she and her sister used their magic to show everypony in the room the beasts that they had fought. After Thor had dealt with the beasts of shadow, Celestia had called an emergency meeting of the Ambassadors as well as Thor, who was going to be there anyway.

"Why would you kill cockroaches?!" Fluttershy asked with tears in her eyes, getting the sisters to share a quick look.

"We said tried to kill them, Fluttershy. Even with our incredible magic we still can't get them out of our home," Luna quickly said, though her words didn't really calm Fluttershy down. "But we're getting off tracks. Beasts of shadows with hints of crystals mixed in. I take it I don't need to tell any of you what kind of crystals we found in the remains of the beasts?"

"The crystals that were used to make the titans," Twilight finished for all of them, getting the sisters to nod.

"Correct, Twilight. It seems that whoever is responsible for the titans has switched from their towering terrors to these monsters of darkness," Celestia said as she ceased her magic and faced every pony standing in the command center. "We have only just begun the cleanup efforts to repair those places that were lost during the war with the titans. The last thing we need is a new breed of evil sprouting up during these times."

"However, these beasts of darkness are nowhere near as hard to kill as those infernal titans were," Luna pointed out to the group. "So I have no doubt that if any of you were confronted by one by yourselves you should be able to handle it."

"I don't get it? Why did the pony or whatever making these things switch away from the titans?" Rainbow Dash asked. "I mean, those titans were kicking our flanks day in and day out. If it was me, I would keep using what worked."

"I am the reason they stopped," Thor finally spoke up, the thunder and divinity in his voice turning all heads towards him. He was leaning against the wall with arms crossed and head hung, with the mighty Mjolnir resting on the ground beside him. "The titans, impressive beasts they may be, are no match for my might. I made that clear. These beasts of shadows are harder for me to sense and thus are more adapt at striking terror before I can appear. Whoever is behind these attacks has changed their tactics in response to my arrival."

"That is what we think as well, Lord Thor," Celestia agreed before turning back to the group. "Yet these are not the first time these shadow beasts have been seen in the land of Equestria. A long time ago, back during the reign of the dark king, these beasts plagued the Crystal Empire and the ponies there, leaving the king to try and eradicate them. We know he did, but we do not know how he did it. At least, not entirely."

"There is a scholar in the Crystal Empire that has studied the dark king and his methods for some time now. Cadence has instructed him to come to Canterlot to aid us with the fight against the shadow beings," Luna continued on, before looking over the six. "For the time being, I recommend that all of you stick together in groups of two or three. We do not want to risk any being caught off guard. If we lose anypony in this room, our chances of winning this war shift in the enemies favor."

"And then there is the matter of the gods," Thor muttered to himself, but loud enough so that the entire room could hear. "What is there play in all of this? And why do these shadow beasts and titans only plague this land? Is it because of this lands lack of a god? Or is it because of some other reason?"

"You believe the shadow beasts to be connected to the other divinities, Lord Thor?" Twilight asked, getting Thor to sigh as he rose to his full height and walked over to the balcony. He gazed out across the land for a long moment, able to feel something brewing out there. He wasn't sure what and that concerned him. Whenever a god didn't know what was going on, dark times were ahead.

"Perhaps they are. The two incidents could be completely unrelated," Thor thought, before his face darkened. "Yet I rarely see an event of this magnitude in which the gods are not in some way involved. Perhaps it is time that I pay the other gods of Equis a visit in their lands. Reveal to the rest of the world what the new god of Equestria is capable of."

"Lord Thor, wait!" Luna called out as Thor turned and began to head for the exit to the room, placing herself between the god and the doors. "Equestria is still weak from its war with the titans and the last thing our nation needs right now is a war with gods. Even with you on our side, the amount of lives lost would be too high for me to even consider. I beg that you change your mind."

Thor stared a the princess of the moon for a moment before he nodded his head. "Very well, princess of the night. For now, Thor shall refrain from battling with the gods of Equis," Thor said before he walked by her, stopping at the door to look back at Luna. "But know this, sister of the sun. There will come a day when the gods of this world will do battle. I may not be the one to start the battle, but it will come. It is in the nature of the divine. I warn you now."

"T-thank you for the warning," Luna said with a nervous nod to Thor, who pushed the doors open and began to walk away. "Where are you going now, Lord Thor?"

"I promised young Autumn and Summer that I would aid them in, what was it again...dealing with loan sharks," Thor said with a smile of battle on his face. "I know not what type of sharks can loan things, but I look forward to battling with them. Perhaps they will be a worthy foe?!"

The ponies let out a small laugh at the joke, before they began to question whether or not Thor was actually joking or not. Then the rainbow maned Pegasus spied the hammer of Thor still sitting against the wall and she flew over to it.

"Hey Lord Thor, you forgot your hammer," Rainbow Dash said as she wrapped her hooves around the hammer, getting all eyes to widen at her while Thor turned around with a look of interest. "Here, allow me to-URK!" Rainbow Dash had tried to fly the hammer over to Thor, but the moment she tried to fly with it she found herself being yanked out of the air by magic and dropped straight to the ground.

"Okay, ow," Dash grumbled as she glared over at Twilight, whose horn glowed with a purple light. "Twilight, what the heck was that for? I was just trying to-"

"You touched something that belonged to Lord Thor without first asking if it was alright," Twilight scolded Dash before turning to the god of thunder with an apologetic smile on her face. "Lord Thor, I am terribly sorry. My friend can sometimes act without thinking and-"

"Aye, your friend is indeed rash in her actions. But I do not mind her trying to be helpful," Thor said with a playful smile on his face, one that surprised all of the ponies in the room. "Rainbow Dash, was it not? This time I will ask of you to bring me my hammer...if you are able?"

"If I am able? Is this a challenge?" she replied before gripping the handle of Mjolnir. "Because this won't be a challenge at all. All I'm doing is-URG-lifting a stupid-HRK-hammer! Okay seriously, what the heck?" Dash tried three more times to lift Mjolnir or even budge it, but to her increasing frustration the hammer didn't even flinch from Dash's efforts. Eventually she gave up trying to lift and settled for kicking it, but that turned out to be an even worse idea.

"Move over Dash and let me do it," Twilight said with a hint of urgency in her voice before she grabbed hold of the hammer with her magic. Yet to Twilight's disbelief, she found that when she tried to lift the hammer with her magic it refused to move any more than when Dash had tried. Thor smiled to himself as Twilight strained with all of her magical might, but to no avail. "What's going on? I can move the sun and the moon with my magic, so moving this hammer shouldn't be-"

Twilight let out a yelp as the hammer flew from the ground and sailed past her head, before coming to a stop in the outstretched hand of Thor. All eyes in the room turned towards him as he tossed the hammer in his hand a few times for good measure, before smiling at Dash and Twilight.

"Behold Twilight, why I do not mind when another tries to lift my hammer. Because none here can," Thor told the group before he started to walk away from the command center.

"Why not, Lord Thor?"

"There is a simple explanation for that, Twilight," Thor replied as he smiled over his shoulder, before he turned and left the room.

{([])}

To Thor's disappointment, he did not find Autumn, daughter of Summer, or Summer herself in battle with sharks that were trying to loan things to them. Instead, as he descended from the clouds above the city of Canterlot, he found the both of them sitting with another pony at a table who was talking with them in a cheerful demeanor.

"Summer, where are the sharks that your daughter spoke of in her latest prayer?" Thor called down to the three right before he impacted on the ground next to them, cracking the stones that made up the pavement. The pony they were talking to let out a cry before he tumbled over backwards in his chair, while Summer and Autumn both smiled up at the god of thunder.

"Don't worry about those sharks, Lord Thor. I've already fended them off for the time being," Summer told the god of thunder, who raised an eyebrow with an impressed look on his face.

"You must be a mighty warrior to fend off such fearsome creatures as those. Perhaps you shall aid me the next time I battle with the shadow beasts," Thor put forward as the pony that he had startled picked himself off of the ground.

"I'll pass, thanks," Summer said with a polite smile. Autumn began to tell Thor about there day, but after a moment Thor turned his gaze upon the pony that had fallen over and studied him for a moment. He wore a brown sweater over his black coat, while a blue scarf gently moved in the breeze. A pair of reading glasses covered his face and his mane was short and brown. Yet it was his eyes that made Thor's eyes narrow. Eyes filled with curiosity and knowledge, but also underlining hints of hunger.

"And who are thee?" Thor asked as he pointed the hammer at the face of the pony, but to Thor's surprise he found that the pony didn't look at Mjolnir with fear. Only with an intense amazement and curiosity that made Thor lower the hammer.

"Forgive me Thor, where are my manners?" the pony said with a flustered tone as he pushed his glasses up further along his nose. "I am Spellbinder. I have been sent to Canterlot by the decree of Cadence to aid the princesses here in dealing with the shadow beasts that have popped up recently."

"Aye, Celestia did say that you would be arriving. Just not this soon," Thor muttered, while the pony nervously rubbed the back of his head.

"I know. I'm supposed to be here tomorrow, but I was just so excited to finally put the things I've been learning about to good use that I came out here on the first train...which got here at four in the morning," Spellbinder laughed in a tired voice before he gazed up at Thor with wide eyes. "So tell me Thor, did you see them? The shadow beasts?"

"Aye, Thor did battle with them. They are not as tough as the crystal titans, but these beasts are far more numerous and harder to track than the titans ever were," Thor said with a glance at Summer and Autumn, but when he looked back at Spellbinder the pony already had a book out on the table.

"Yep, according to Sombra's notes, he's the dark king by the way, the beasts of shadows were adapt at slipping past defenses are wrecking havoc on living quarters and sources of power. Seems even he couldn't deal with them," Spellbinder said with a masters knowledge on the subject.

"Perhaps he was not able to, but he was not a god. I am and I shall strike these creatures from the face of Equis. That is my promise to you all," Thor swore to the ponies, who all gave him polite nodes except for Autumn, who stared up at him with wide eyes.

"Well I hope you can, because from what I've read Sombra was only able to banish them. He wasn't able to completely get rid of them," Spellbinder said once more, but a look from Thor ceased his talk on the subject any further.

"Does thou doubt the word of a god?" Thor asked Spellbinder, who shook his head as he sunk under the table. Thor smirked at his actions before turning his attention back to Autumn, who was wearing a look of concern. "What ails thee, little Autumn?"

"It's just...how many more evils are going to plague our land?" she asked in a tired voice, one that made her mother pull her into a hug. "First it was Nightmare Moon, then Discord, then Tirek, then the titans and now these shadow beasts. And all of them have attacked in just a manner of a few years. Will Equestria ever be at peace?" she asked in a worried tone.

Thor heard her concern and knelt down so that he was as eye level with the little filly as he could be, getting her to look up at him. "Autumn, daughter of Summer, Thor swears to you that he will not rest until he finds a way to ensure that peace takes up permanent stay in your land. In this entire world," Thor swore to her, getting Autumn to smile slightly. "No matter how many eons it make take me, there will come a day when you shall not fear attack by any being. You have the word of a god."

"Okay, Thor. I believe in you," Autumn replied. Thor smiled as he rose up to his full height once more, before gazing off into the distance, far further than any of the ponies could see.

"I must go. If I am to ensure that peace is to last on this world, then I need to meet with the other gods of this realm," Thor said as he began to swing Mjolnir. "Starting with the most untrustworthy of them all. Starting with the two faced god."

Thor was gone a moment later, leaving the ponies to brace themselves as a massive burst of wind nearly knocked them out of their seats. Once the wind died down they all turned their gaze to where Thor had flown off, before Spellbinder started to write in his book.

"Thor, god of Equestria. How interesting," he muttered to himself before casting a glance at Summer, who caught the look. "Would the two of you mind if I hang around you more often? It seems that all the most interesting things happen when you two are around."