• Published 29th Apr 2017
  • 13,541 Views, 1,418 Comments

Truly Divine - Onomonopia

  • ...
71
 1,418
 13,541

Chaotic

Discord rubbed the back of his neck as he gingerly pushed himself back up to his feet, brushing rubble and building off of his body before casting a sour glance at the god of thunder. The hammer whose power made even Discord somewhat afraid was still pointed at the god of chaos's chest, while the god wielding the hammer was giving Discord a look that would most likely end in a fight.

"I hope you realize that you have to pay for that wall, right?" Discord told the god of thunder, only to be silenced by a bolt of lightning that crashed down behind Discord. Discord turned his head a full one eighty to look at the crater created by the lightning, before looking back at Thor.

"You have evaded me for too long, god of chaos," Thor informed Discord as he lowered the hammer and walked right up to the god of chaos, looking him right in the eyes as he did so. For the first time since Tirek, Discord found that he was face to face with somepony that he actually had to look up at. Discord then lowered his gaze slightly at the armor and muscles on the god, making Discord raise an eyebrow slightly. "And I am here to have words."

"If you wanted to talk you could have just knocked on the door. No need to knock down the wall," Discord said in a flippant tone before he started to float by Thor. "But sadly I am very busy right now and don't have time to talk to the god of whack-a-mole. Maybe if you come back in a few hundred years I'll be able to-"

Thor's hand lashed out once more and grabbed Discord by the throat, getting him to gag before Thor's strength tore him off of the ground and dangled the god of chaos in front of the god of thunder. Discord snarled at Thor and snapped his fingers to try and teleport away, but to his horror he found that Thor's divine magic was managing to combat Discord's chaotic nature.

"We shall talk now," Thor informed Discord, why shrugged his shoulders in acceptance and crossed his arms to show he was listening. "I have been god of these lands for a week now and in that time there has been as many cases of attacks, dangers and creatures of evil as there have been on Midgard. And yet aside from the princesses and their six champions helping, all of those that require the aid of others have gone unanswered."

"And?" Discord asked with a smirk, only to immediately regret his choice of tone a moment later when Thor tightened his grip on Discord's neck.

"Watch your tone creature, or I shall rip your tongue from your skull," Thor promised Discord, who began to sweat slightly from Thor's glare. "I would not be as upset with these unanswered prayers if Equestria didn't have a god before I got here. Yet here I stand with a god living in Equestria within my grasp. A god that has done nothing for those who he lives among. I want answers, god of chaos. Why have you abandoned these ponies?"

"If...you would...let me talk," Discord managed to choke out and Thor released his grasp, dropping the god of chaos to the grass below. Discord wheezed a few times before he stood back up and rubbed his neck, giving Thor another look that was more cautious than angry. "Well, Mr. Thunderpants, you want to know why I've let so many prayers for help go unanswered? It's because I'm not the god of Equestria. I'm not the god of anything, except for the chaos that goes on in this world. I have no reason to-"

Discord blinked and found Mjolnir floating next to his head, mere centimeters away from Discord's head. Discord glanced over at the floating hammer, able to fully sense what that hammer was capable of and how if it had struck him in the head, his head might have actually been knocked off his shoulders. And not in a way Discord could recover from.

"You have reason to protect those that you live amongst. Those that give you shelter and take care of your ills," Thor replied as he held out his hand and the hammer returned to Thor's grasp. "I have heard from young Autumn about all of the different attacks on their world in the years since she has been born and the amount of times the gods of this world have done nothing has sickened me."

"Well the gods of this world only protect those that worship them. And unfortunately for the ponies, they don't have a god that they worship, present company excluded of course," Discord replied in a calm tone, one that was guarded and careful. As the conversation continued on, he was getting more and more ready for a fight with a foe he wasn't sure he could beat.

"They have you," Thor replied in a dark tone, one that made black clouds begin to swirl overhead. The ground rumbled as lightning flashed across the sky, shaking the land beneath the both of them. "They have you and yet unless the situation benefits you, you do nothing. Just like the other gods of this world. Just like nearly all of the other gods of the cosmos."

Thor was getting ready to bring the hammer down. Discord could feel it and he knew that he stood little chance against Thor by himself. With the hammer though, Discord knew that this was a lost fight. The god of chaos raised his hands and backed away from Thor, getting the god of thunder to pause for a moment.

"Look, I know that I live among the ponies. But to tell you the truth. I was imprisoned in stone for a thousand years in this land and was only freed two years ago," Discord told Thor, who paused his advancement to raise an eyebrow at Discord's words. "And I wasn't exactly nice back then. I was quite...problematic. Fluttershy is really the only pony to give me a chance and be my friend. All of the other ones mostly fear me or ignore me. I may be a god living in Equestria, but I am not a god of Equestria. They would never let me have that title."

"So you were once an evil god?" Thor asked in a voice that sounded like a building storm.

"I wouldn't say evil, I would say...lost," Discord said as he glanced to the side and in doing so never say the lightning leave Thor's eyes. "I used my power for my own enjoyment and cared nothing for others. It took being incased in stone for a thousand years and nearly losing all of my friends to realize that there are things more important than me. That a god isn't the focus of the universe. But...I can't be that god."

Thor crossed his arms as Discord said this, lowering his head to the point where his silver helmet covered his eyes and made it so that Discord couldn't see into them. Discord caught movement off to the side and spied Fluttershy walking towards them, a confused look on her face as she saw both Discord and Thor. Discord waved her away with an urgent look on his face, before taking on his neutral expression as Thor lifted his head once more.

"Why not?" Thor asked, getting Discord to give Thor a look of confusion. "Why can you not be that god?"

"Because I'm a god of chaos. And chaos only creates chaos," Discord replied.

"But you wish to be more?"

"I...I'm not sure."

"You are an interesting one, god of chaos. You have suffered and been imprisoned in a way that would make most gods go crazy with revenge, yet you instead opened your mind to learning to be better," Thor said to Discord, all of the rage and power in his voice having faded away. "You have done what so few gods have done. You have seen your own folly and sought to be more than just your nature. Yet you do not believe you can..."

Discord gave Thor a look, not sure how to respond to the sudden change in attitude from Thor. Thor then extended a hand towards Discord, with a look of confidence in the god of thunders eyes that made Discord even more afraid than when Thor was angry.

"Why are you extending you hand to me with that smile on your face?" Discord asked a bit afraid, getting a booming laugh to escape the god of thunder's lips.

"Because you remind me a of younger, far angrier me," Thor told Discord. "One that was so self-absorbed and arrogant that he was not worthy of the hammer that you see within my grasp right now. It took quite a long time and plenty of agony before I finally reached the place you are now. And when I reached that place, I had the people of Midgard and their heroes to help show me what it means to be a god. To show me I was more than the god I was."

"Okay, but I don't really know what either of those are," Discord replied in a careful tone. Thor let out a laugh before he clapped Discord on the shoulder, knocking Discord's arm off of his body and sending it tumbling into the stream. Thor's laugh grew even louder as Discord snapped his fingers and returned his limb to his side, giving Thor a look.

"Of course you would not. And we are far too far from Midgard to take you there...so why don't I teach you what the people of Midgard taught me? What it truly means to be a god of your nation? To be the god you wish to be?" Thor asked with enthusiasm in every word.

"Okay, first of all I am not a god of this nation. I am a god of chaos and I am not confined to one place," Discord told Thor, but the god of thunder shook his head with his smile growing even wider.

"Aye, god of chaos you are, but that means that you are god of this entire world. Including those within this land," Thor told Discord, who sighed in frustration at how Thor didn't seem to be getting what Discord was telling him. "I am the god of thunder and thunder travels across the world, so all those in the world fall under my care. God of Equestria or not."

"You do realize that in saying that you're breaking many of the laws that the other gods of this world set amongst each other?" Discord told Thor, whose smile became far moreclike that of a god than Discord had seen.

"The gods quarrel, the gods bicker and the gods set rules. Yet us gods get our power from the mortals, from those that believe in us and pray to us for help in their darkest of days," Thor replied before he glanced to the side with a dark look coming over his face, one that was mirrored by Discord as he sensed what Thor had sensed.

"You felt that as well?"

"Aye, I did. There are those in danger and require the aid of Thor," Thor told Discord as he began to spin the hammer, kicking up a mini storm in front of Fluttershy's cottage. Thor then cast a glance at Discord, before extending a hand towards him once more. "Will thou come with me? You can take thy first steps to becoming a true god, not one that would be feared or hated, but worshiped."

Discord glanced at the ground to think for a second, before glancing over his shoulder at where Fluttershy was taking cover behind a log. The two locked eyes and she nodded to him, getting the god of chaos to bite his lip. He reached out for a brief second towards Thor's hand, before he snapped his limb back and turned away.

"I apologize, Thor. I am not ready to be that kind of deity yet," Discord whispered.

"Very well, Discord, I shall handle this problem myself," Thor replied before a thin smile crossed his face. "But I saw you extend your hand. You wish to be a god that is respected. You just do not believe that you can be. And I was the same way all those years ago."

Discord didn't turn around until he heard the thunder crack across the sky and he looked towards the heavens to see Thor sailing off into the distance. Discord let out a small sigh and sat down on the ground, not lifting his head until Fluttershy walked over to him and sat down next to the god of chaos.

"You could have gone with him," Fluttershy told Discord.

"I could have. But at the same time, what would be the point?" Discord asked her, sighing as he placed his hands on his knees. "I would most likely make everything worse."

"...yeah, you probably might."

"Thank's Fluttershy. Always the wind beneath my wings."

{([])}

Celestia let out a curse as she leapt out of the way of a blast of darkness, before whipping her head to the side to blast one of the beasts made of darkness that tried to slash at her side. Behind her Luna was batting with two more of the beasts, managing to keep them at bay with her lunar magic. Yet as Celestia glanced around at the wilds cast in shadows, she realized that more and more of the creatures were coming out of the darkness to fight them.

"So sister, do you think we made the right call in not asking Twilight and her friends to aid us?" Luna called back to Celestia with a worried smirk on her face, getting Celestia to narrow her eyes before she blasted apart two beings of shadows with her magic. "Good job sister, two down, fifty more to go."

"Why do you insist on mocking me when the both of us have our backs against the wall?" Celestia called over to Luna before creating another barrier to stop three more of the lion like shadows from attacking.

"Two reasons. If these are to be our final moments, I wish to make sure I get in as much sisterly mocking as I can," Luna called over to Celestia, getting the princess of the sun to roll her eyes. "And the second is for the first time in my life I made a prayer to the heavens and I expect it to be answered at any moment."

"A prayer? I thought that you didn't believe in praying?" Celestia asked, but before her sister could answer bolts of divine lightning came crashing down from on high, incinerating the entire army of the beasts of shadows that had surrounded the sisters. Both of them lifted their heads to the sky to see Thor flying above them, casting down lightning upon any beasts that tried to escape.

"I didn't sister, not when they went unheard," Luna said with a smile as she watched Thor smote the shadow beasts. "But now that I know somepony is listening, I'm a little more inclined to try it."