• Published 15th Mar 2015
  • 1,641 Views, 99 Comments

Return Of The Lunar Knight: A Sharp Sword's Knight - Moonlit Novel



Evening Star is dead, centuries have past and now Masao returns to Equestria, Bat Ponies in tow

  • ...
18
 99
 1,641

PreviousChapters Next
Common Era Chapter Ten/MLP Season One Chapter Two: The Mare on the Moon Part Two

Author's Notes

Lord_01001010, ask and you shall receive!

Thanks to Deadinlight for beta-reading and helping me edit

Common Era Chapter Ten/MLP Season One Chapter Two: The Mare on the Moon Part Two

Masao stood at the entrance to the Everfree and oddly it did not feel all that different from going home, the forest welcomed him back into it…

- - -

“Does my crown no longer count now that I have been imprisoned for a thousand years? Did you not recall the legend? Did you not see the signs?” asked Nightmare Moon as she stood on the indoor balcony of the Town hall. Twilight stepped forwards completely confident, if foolish. Sharp Sword ready to tackle the young mare if Nightmare Moon decided to attack her.

“I did. And I know who you are. You're the Mare on the Moon – Nightmare Moon!” said Twilight, her exclamation causing the rest of the ponies to gasp in surprise, even as a few ponies slipped forwards and bowed towards the corrupted alicorn.

“We live to serve, our princess” said a random unicorn only for the back of her neck to be pierced by Sharp Sword’s sword.

“I don’t care, what you have done, and I don’t care who you believe this is, but she is NOT Princess Luna!” said Sharp Sword as she withdrew her sword from the now dead unicorn the look on her face murderous. “Come now, princess, time to meet cold steel”

- - -

Masao snuck through the woods intending on making to the old castle, not once did any of the forest’s denizens accosted him, something which unnerved Masao to no end as he made it to the castle with no issue.

“Welcome home, Ser Masao” said an elderly earth pony, one that happened to have a younger blue unicorn with read hair standing beside him, a small grin on her face.

“Ah, I see you’ve met her sister, Sharp Sword. She was a blunt instrument rather that the fine precision tool that Red Lily can be” said the earth pony and Masao frowned, sure he had a breastplate, but just as warfare had evolved, so did the necessity for him to change tactics, but right now, he felt naked, in front of him was an earth pony currently carrying a… Wait… Was that really a battlesaddle? Shaking his head clear, he also took stock of the delicate unicorn standing beside the earth pony.

“I take it you are Double Edge?” asked Masao as he shifted his stance, he didn’t take his eyes off of the unicorn though, something told him it would be a very fatal mistake to do so, much to the annoyment of the unicorn.

“What? Was my sister not enough? Do you have to lust after—” she didn’t get to finish as Masao’s glare cut her off.

“You, Red, are dangerous, I don’t know how but I am not letting you leave my sight” throughout this exchange the older stallion just chuckled.

“You are wise not to let her out of your sights, but will that help you? I left you alone because you were helping out our aims for a while, but then you started to attack us directly, and even had the audacity to come and attack us here, you are not welcome here” Masao scoffed, drawing his flintlock and keeping it trained on the old pony he stalked up to him.

“You don’t have that right, this castle listens only to Princess Celestia, and Princess Luna, neither of which will ban me from what was once my home.” said Masao and soon Sharp Sword came flying past, Masao reached out and grabbed her by the tail preventing her from crashing headlong into her sister. “I take it Nightmare Moon is on her way then?” asked the human as his gaze switched to his lover’s sister.

“Y-yeah… Damn that hurt…” said Sharp Sword as looked back at her tail. When she looked up the look on her face fell. “Hello sister”

- - -

“And just what are the Elements of Harmony? And how did you know about Nightmare Moon, huh? Are you a spy? Whoa!” said Rainbow Dash just before Applejack yanked on her tail.

“Simmer down, Sally. She ain't no spy. But she sure knows what's going on. Don't you, Twilight?” asked Applejack and Twilight nodded.

“I read all about the prediction of Nightmare Moon. Some mysterious objects called the Elements of Harmony are the only things that can stop her, but I don't know what they are, where to find them; I don't even know what they do! Oh I wish Ser Masao were here, he’d know what to do! He was there you know, when this first happened” said Twilight suddenly getting off track as she worried about her teacher.

“Who? Sorry, Sugercube, but Ah dunno anyone that old” said Applejack and Twilight sighed, it seemed she had to explain a few things, but first…

The Elements of Harmony: A Reference Guide.” said Pinkie Pie and Twilight looked at her dumbstruck.

“How-but-Where did you find that!?” asked the purple unicorn in shock as she grabbed it out of the pink mare’s hooves with magic.

“It was under ‘E’!” said Pinkie with a huge smile on her face.

“Oh. There are six Elements of Harmony, but only five are known: Kindness, Laughter, Generosity, Honesty and Loyalty. The sixth is a complete mystery. It is said, the last known location of the five elements was in the ancient castle of the royal pony sisters. It is located in what is now—”

“THE EVERFREE FOREST!?” said the group in shock, and Twilight looked towards forest as there was a crack of lightning, and in that flash of light, she saw footprints that could only belong to one thing in existence, Masao.

- - -

“So this is how it is going to go down, dear sister you are going to let us kill you, and your friend here, and do you know why?” asked Red Lily as she and her sister circled around, Masao now in a firefight with Double Edge, keeping the aged earth pony from aiding his much younger lover.

“Come now, Masao surely you know better than to challenge her royal highness again?” asked the elderly stallion as a dark cloud of ‘stars’ blew past them into the castle…

“I think not, Lily, I think you and your old lover had best surrender, we won’t let Nightmare Moon rise”

- - -

“Ah, my loyal knight Ser Masao Darkheart. how are you doing, traitor? How does it feel serving my self-absorbed sister?” said Nightmare Moon as she came into existence between the two gunners.

“You are not Luna, and you are not Celestia’s sister. You are a parasite that decided to take hold of my princess in her moment of weakness” said Masao as he aimed the flintlock at the alicorn.

“Do you really think that toy will do anything to me?” asked Nightmare Moon and Masao just smiled.

“No, but I am just delaying you”

“Delaying me? What—” she didn’t get the chance to finish as Sharp Sword then attacked the mare her épée slashing through the air at the mare.

“You cost me three years of my life searching for him! Not only that you cost me another eighteen years after I was reborn!” yelled the angry mare, shocked Double Edge looked back where the duo had been fighting and saw Red Lily on the ground bleeding and made for her, only for Masao to intercept him.

“Your weapons, please” was all Masao said and the stallion stripped himself of all his weapons and ran off to try to help his lover.

Picking up the musket rifle, Masao loaded it and took aim, and with one shot…

- - -

There was a ping off in the distance as Twilight and the gang made their way
up to the castle. Having been to watch Masao and Sharp Sword practice their craft, Twilight recognized the sound as…

“Ser Masao is here!” she said almost giddily, one of her teachers were here fighting off the evil! Maybe they wouldn’t need the Elements of Harmony! She shook her head, as she frowned. No, she has to help in some way…

- - -

As Masao and Sharp Sword fought Nightmare Moon, Twilight and the others found the Elements of Harmony and leaving Twilight to the task of trying to activate them when Nightmare Moon appeared holding the unconscious forms of her teacher in a dark blue aura before tossing them to the side.

“They fought valiantly, I shall give them that, but now it is over.”

- - -

Twilight and her friends, whom had returned after hearing Twilight shout in dismay at seeing her teachers in such a state, but after her friends were there she felt more confident and soon they were able to use the Elements of Harmony. Freeing Luna from the grasp of Nightmare Moon just as Masao and Sharp Sword regained consciousness.
- - -

“Well congrats Twilight, you pass.” said Masao as he staggered up to his feet and over to the mare only to be intercepted by her friends.

“Ah don’t know what you are, but there is no way we are—”

“MASAO! You’re alright!” shouted the unicorn as she picked him up and pulled him into a hug doing the same to the just now waking Sharp Sword.

“Twilight? You know these two?” asked the rainbow maned one and Masao groaned as he pushed away from the purple unicorn.

“Of course she knows me, I am Ser Masao Darkheart—”

“Knight of Princess Luna…” said a quiet voice, one Masao had not heard in an age. Just then Celestia made it to the castle, her stance completely regal even if Masao knew it were only an act, Celestia was tired as hell from flying all the way here from Canterlot…

“You told me it was all an old pony tale!” accused Twilight and Masao cringed as Celestia just smiled at the purple unicorn.

“I told you that you needed to make some friends, nothing more. I saw the signs of Nightmare Moon's return and I knew it was you who had the magic inside to defeat her, but you could not unleash it until you let true friendship into your heart. Now if only another will as well. Princess Luna!” said Celestia and the lunar princess gasped in fear and cringed away from her sister. “It has been a thousand years since I have seen you like this. Time to put our differences behind us. We were meant to rule together, little sister.”

LITTLE SISTER!?” shouted the group while Masao just grinned.

“My dear friend” he said with his grin growing.

“Will you accept my friendship?” asked Celestia as she looked at her sister.

“I'm so sorry! I missed thee both so much!” said Luna as she nuzzled Celestia for a moment and then Masao how returned the gesture with a hug…

Author's Note:

Well How do you like that? :twilightsmile:

PreviousChapters Next