• Published 15th Mar 2015
  • 1,639 Views, 99 Comments

Return Of The Lunar Knight: A Sharp Sword's Knight - Moonlit Novel



Evening Star is dead, centuries have past and now Masao returns to Equestria, Bat Ponies in tow

  • ...
18
 99
 1,639

PreviousChapters Next
Common Era Chapter Fourteen/MLP Season One Chapter Six: The Worst Night Ever/Somepony Is Going to get Bucked up Royally(pun so very much intended)

Author's Notes

Thanks to Deadinlight for beta-reading and helping me edit

Common Era Chapter Fourteen/MLP Season One Chapter Six: The Worst Night Ever/Somepony Is Going to Get Bucked up Royally(pun so very much intended)

It had been some months since Masao had gone to Ponyville with Sharp Sword to visit with Gilda. Upon returning to the castle, he was knocked over by the very princess he had sworn his loyalty to, and holding him down with all four of her hooves she leaned down and kissed Masao. What Masao didn’t understand was how Sharp Sword could be OK with this, as from what he could remember about girls from Earth, most would have either cut him off, in the bedroom, or broken it off with him, but as it stood it seemed that she really didn’t care, when it came to Luna that is…

It was the week of the Grand Galloping Gala and Masao was scowling, sure, he only truly needed one ticket but he had two mares to contend with, one of which he didn’t need to worry about getting a ticket, due to her status, and the other? Well she really had no interest in the Gala as it stood anyway…

- - -

“Thou must attend! Ser Masao can not spend all night standing with me” said Luna and Sharp Sword gave her a deadpanned look.

“And why not? I mean, you are courting him now, aren’t you?” asked the blue unicorn and Luna sputtered in annoyment, “Careful, princess” warned Sharp Sword not liking the tone Luna had used with her. Luna for her part looked at her scandalized.

“I didn’t say a word Sharp Sword!”

- - -

Masao was in Ponyville visiting Rarity hoping to have her help him with a outfit, hoping of course the uniqueness of his shape and the amount of bits he was willing to pay for something this last minute would be enough to encourage the mare to make him an royal guard dress uniform with a slight alteration, intending on having a dark blue dress uniform shirt and a black pair of slacks, he already had a pony help him with the shoes aspect of the uniform. and he went to a gryphon leather worker in canterlot for the belt and materials for the shoes.

“Really now! You should have come to me sooner than this dear!” said Rarity as she tutted about him, a tape measure taking his… Well measurements.

“I was not sure you would be willing to make an outfit for me, several of your… Ah… Peers, said I would be better off in a cage rather than in polite society. Needless to say, they quickly lost their business license, due to them foolishly saying it in front of Luna and Celestia.”

“I have been meaning to ask, deary, but what is your relationship with the princesses?” asked Rarity as she started to take out the requested materials, and quickly got to work

“Well Celestia and I are close, not as close as Luna and I, but still close, I am truly her oldest friend, I knew her before she got her phoenix, she and her sister used to rule from that castle in the Everfree, and I used to call that castle home… Before…” Masao mumbled off as unbidden memories of the past came crashing down, and the foremost thought on his mind was Evening Star and her beautiful smile, and… Masao smiled as every doubt he had seemed to flee from his mind, all there was room for was the three ponies in his life, Evening Star, Luna and the reborn Evening Star, Sharp Sword.

“Masao, darling, are you alright? Your entire posture changed!” at that Masao shook himself out of his thoughts and smiled down at the white Unicorn serenely.

“Yeah, I was just remembering someone, my lover at the time, Evening Star, she was a bat pony, did you know? She had the more beautiful smile and her eyes could trap you in them if you let them. I knew her almost as long as I did Luna and Celestia.” said Masao as he lost himself in the memory of the first time they had made love and not just had a roll in the hay. He was not turned on by it as he was only thinking of it’s beauty.

“Dear, you seem to have gotten lost in your thoughts again” said Rarity, and she listened to him recount so many things, always remembering the wonder and glamor he had seen in the past. He recounted his time serving under Princess Luna as a knight-protector, something that had gained him fame amongst the ponies of the time. He talked about how he had fought in the Lunar Rebellion, and how he had fought Nightmare Moon, even if all he had done was restrain her long enough for Celestia to use the elements on her. He started to talk about how he was saved from starvation by the gryphons of the Razor Talon Clan, when Rarity looked up from the clothing claiming it to be finished. “I made it to your specs, and if you don’t mind, I will be making a few more outfits for you. You do have such an interesting shape darling. I do hope you come back to visit, I find your telling of history so invigorating! So much dashing adventures! And you the knight in shining armor!” said the white unicorn as she neatly folded the dress uniform and placed it in a bag before proceeding to close it tight. Masao chuckled.

“Not many would enjoy me telling them about ancient history, much less believed I lived through all that. You truly are a generous one, and worth of the title of The Element of Generosity” said Masao as he bowed to her.

“Now now! None of that, I am no princess! Not yet anyway.” tutted the mare and Masao frowned before sighing.

“Lady Rarity, if I may be so bold as to offer you some advice?” asked the human and Rarity looked at him with a questioning look.

“Go ahead, darling”

“Stay away from Prince Blueblood, he gives the title of prince a bad name, and I would hate for you to make a fool of yourself as to try to impress him.” said Masao and Rarity clicked her tongue as she kept herself from making a rude comment, after all she did allow him to give her advice, and she’d be a fool not to listen to him especially since he had been living in castle with the stallion in question for a good several years. “If you don’t intend to listen to my advice, then if he starts being a complete arse of a pony, please come find me or Luna, but stay away from Sharp Sword, she will have no patience with the poor boy, and I would rather not have to ask one of the princesses to pardon her. Though if it is Luna that gets to her first, I wouldn’t be surprised if she gives Sharp Sword a medal” said Masao and Rarity chuckled as she shook her head.

“I doubt he is that bad, now, Ser Masao, darling, you should get home before you are missed, I am sure that mare of yours is searching the castle brick by brick” at that Masao laughed before he placed several bits on the table before taking his leave. “I do hope that he is wrong about this ‘Prince Blueblood’ if not…”

- - -

The night of the Gala, Masao came out onto the balcony of his and Sharp Sword’s room dressed in his uniform, the sash that went across his chest to his waist, pure white with a collection of medals, all given to him recently and without ceremony much to his own surprise. he walked the castle taking in the defenses something he had never stopped doing ever since becoming a knight, and learning what was a good defense and what wasn’t.

“Ser knight” said a familiar voice, and Masao turned to see Shining Armor who seemed to be holding back a glare.

“Greetings, corporal, what brings you to my balcony?” asked Masao in a rather cheery voice and the unicorn gritted his teeth as he gave a slight bow.

“I am to be your escort until such time as you meet up with Lady Sharp Sword and Princess Luna” at that Masao sighed knowing that there was no way to get out of it, either Celestia or Luna had ordered the escort, and he was not in the mood to upset either of them tonight.

“I take it you are still not happy with my part in having your mother brought to justice” said Masao not looking at the unicorn anymore as he returned to scanning the horizon for threats, well aware of the threat beside him as Shining Armor’s horn glowed menacingly. “I am sorry that I played a part in breaking up your family, but your mother played part in the Day’s Legion’s play for power, and Celestia can not allow somepony who betrayed Equestria to roam free.”

“And what about you? You betrayed Equestria! You fought against the rightful-urk!”

“Hear me and understand me well, boy. I did not betray Equestria, I followed one of it’s leaders to the brink, and when she went off the edge I protected Equestria, and I will be damned before I let Equestria fall, whether to a mad mare, or that of any enemy forces. So long as there is breath in my body, I will stand at the ready. I will continue to train in the weapons available, and I will fight to protect those I love. Princess Luna and sharp Sword for sure, but also the whole of Equestria”

“Don’t talk to me as if you are so much older than me! I—”

“You nothing, I am over a thousand years old, I have watched kingdoms rise and fall, and only Equestria has stood strong, and only the Razor Talon Clan has remained intact from the Gryphon kingdom that allied itself with us, all because they had either immortal rulers or an immortal who helped them!” shouted Masao and a green hue started to overtake his eyes.

“Ser Masao! Calm thyself before we have thee restrained” said Luna as she walked calmly out onto the balcony. “And thou!” said Luna turning slightly to face the unicorn, “T’is not thy place, nor thy right to place blame like that on the Ser Knight. My sister, herself, forgave Masao for fighting at my side! Thine opinion is noted, but is not needed”

“Luna, calm down. There is no reason to bite his head off, after you just stopped me from doing the same.”

- - -

Masao was escorting a very annoyed looking Sharp Sword, and every time a stallion’s gaze lingered longer than she thought it should on her. For her dress, which was also made by Rarity, who insisted, practically forcing the mare to stay still long enough to get her measurements, flattered her entire frame. drawing attention to the mare’s mane and eyes, and Masao just grinned stupidly when she came walking out onto the balcony not long after Luna and Shining Armor had left. and he mentioned in passing that perhaps they should stay in, for he didn’t want to share, only to have Sharp Sword huff at him and with her nose in the air made her way out of the room, with Masao following…

“I say, madam, you are simply divine! May I have a dance later?” asked a stallion and Masao simply growled at him the look in his eyes telling the stallion to leave now if he valued his life. Which the stallion did, with his tail between his legs.

“I think I can handle myself, Masao” said Sharp Sword and the human rolled his eyes.

“Maybe if you weren’t in a dress, but I happen to know from watching some of the old guard, dressed screw with your maneuverability, and from what I have seen, you don’t much like dresses, therefore I doubt you spent much time in one” said Masao, and they finally made it to the entrance of the ballroom and Masao took a small breath and smiled at the mare beside him. “Now, ‘once more into the breach,’ after you my love” said Masao with a bow his arm pointing the way to the door.

“Very well, but you owe me for this, lover, and you are going to pay up. and if you are lucky, you may enjoy it” she whispered into his ear and Masao shuddered slightly before following her into the ballroom, stopping her just inside the door.

“Wait” he whispered into her ear, which flicked in response.

“And who are you miss? And why did you bring some—ah, nevermind, you are Ser Masao, shall I announce you?” Masao nodded…

- - -

“Now presenting, Ser Masao Darkheart, Knight Protector of Princess Luna, and Lady Sharp Sword, Captain of the Lunar Guard” said the announcer and Masao chuckled at Sharp Sword’s shocked look and nudged her forwards as he walked past her with a purpose stopping at the foot of the stair he waited for Sharp Sword to catch up to him, and just like he predicted, she was not used to the dress and almost tripped, but thankfully no one noticed as she made it beside him.

“Ah, it is good to see you both tonight, and congratulations on your promotion my dear Sharp Sword—” started Celestia when Masao spoke up a smile on his face.

“I do believe you mean my dear Sharp Sword” teased Masao and Celestia giggled, she flat out giggled at Masao’s comment much to the surprise of the nobles there.

“I do believe you are right Ser Masao, and it is good to see that you are wearing the medals you had very well earned in your service to Equestria” she said and many of the nobles that had been sneering quieted down upon catching sight of the sash completely covered in medals, and at his side was his rapier, he was strangely without his normal accompaniment of flintlocks preferring to carry only one tonight.

“I live to serve your sister, princess, and you by extension” and at that Celestia smiled as she took a step to the side revealing a small blue alicorn, her mane barely having any of its old flow back, but her own gown was by far better suited on her than it was anyone else and she gave a slight bow to the human.

“I thank thee for thy kind words. Perhaps I will be able to spend sometime with thee, my friend, provided that the nobles do not keep me too long” said Luna and Masao simply smiled and gave a slight bow before moving forwards and into the ballroom proper along with Sharp Sword, who was still in shock.

- - -

“Why didn’t you tell me that I was promoted to captain proper!” whispered Sharp Sword harshly as they sat at a table and Masao snickered only for Sharp Sword to glare at him.

“Luna asked me not—”

“I must apologize darling, but I simply must borrow your date for a moment” said a familiar voice and suddenly Masao was being levitated in the air, a ‘really?’ look on his face as Rarity carried him over and deposited him between her and Prince Blueblood.

“Let me guess, Blueblood here was not being a proper gentlestallion?” said Masao as he stood up and dusted himself off, the medals on his chest occasionally clinking off one another.

“I say! What is this beast do—”

“I would be careful not to let your aunties hear that, Celestia would be cross, and Luna would be so much worse” said Masao and Blueblood shut up. “Good, now, what are you doing being rude to this mare? In status she is equal to you, if not your better, she is the Element of Generosity, and you are lucky to have even caught her eye. There are some even in this very room who wish that she would look at them as she looked at you.” said the human and Rarity looked at him curiously and Masao winced, surely she knew that Spike had a crush on her, right? Right??

- - -

“Damn that mare! Now where did she take my mate!” murmured Sharp Sword as she looked around the Gala, purposely staying away from the dance floor, even as a crowd was growing. She didn’t notice that the stallion from earlier was now following her keeping just out of sight…

“Hiya Sharp Sword! Fancy seein’ you here!” said Applejack and Sharp Sword gave a small grin to the apple seller.

- - -

“Greetings Lady Sparkle, t’is most enjoyable to see thou once more!” said Luna happily as Twilight made it to the front of the line and was invited to stand with the two princesses, and while it was not Celestia, Twilight was still more than happy to spend time with the lunar diarch, as she discussed a lot of what she had learned from Masao about the time before Luna had led the Lunar Rebellion which impressed the younger alicorn causing the mare to smile…

- - -

“ARGH! Where the buck is she! That damned mare!” grumbled Sharp Sword as she stumbled into a tree, not really used to the dress at all, give her armor and what not any day, but she did not do dresses, even if it got a very pleasing reaction from her lover. A smile started to grow on her face before she was suddenly enveloped in a green hue and pressed against the tree and moving her eyes she noticed the stallion from earlier, but he was accompanied by a unicorn and pegasus.

“Now, isn’t this just perfect, this sexy mare happened to walk out here all on her lonesome, and this time without that beast of hers near by” Sharp Sword’s eyes went wide, she attempted to cast a spell when her head started to pound. “I wouldn’t try casting any spells, my friend here won’t take very kindly to someone trying to overpower him, especially not a mare, wait… Aren’t you supposed to be the new Captain for the Lunar guard? What a joke! That Luna must be batting for the other team if she is letting a sexy mare like you… There’s something bad behind me, isn’t there?” The look in Sharp Sword’s eyes, relief, was the only warning the stallions got before they were flung against their own trees, One enveloped by a bluish gray hue, another by a cobalt blue hue, and the unicorn was just tackled into the tree by one very furious human, the click of his firearm having gotten the struggling unicorn stallion’s attention.

“Drop. My. Mate.” the unicorn couldn’t do so fast enough, and one could see it was taking every bit of Masao’s being not to pull the trigger of the flintlock now pressed against the stallion’s temple.

“Masao, I’m fine, let’s just go back inside” said Sharp Sword as she caught on to the situation, and used her magic to pull him away from the cowering unicorn.

“Come darlings, how about we let the guard deal with these ruffians” said Rarity as she trotted back into the ballroom followed by a scared Sharp Sword, not for herself, but rather for Masao, as she kept gently nudging him back into the ballroom.

“I will be back in in a moment, my dearest friends, I shalt first handle these brigands.” said Luna and the trio left the alicorn there as she turned to the fallen stallions. “So thou thought thou could assault my friends? Thou wouldst been safer had Ser Masao remained, I will not be so kind to give thee a quick death”

- - -

“Well this was officially the worst night ever…” said Applejack as she and her friends all made it to Donut Joe’s.

“I dunno, could have been worse” said Sharp Sword as she lead Masao into the shop followed by the rest of the gang. Rarity simply smiled as she thought about how some in the ballroom saw Prince Blueblood for what he was when he proceeded to try to put her human friend down, in front of Princess Luna no less! Of course then things went to Tartarus afterwards, she frowned, Masao mentioned something about Sharp Sword probably needing some help with her dress, They had gone searching for her, Princess Luna deciding to join them, and Applejack pointed them in the right direction. When they found her… Well she would not be sorry if they woke up sore tomorrow!

“Hardly! Thou weret assaulted in our own castle! In thy own home!” said Luna as she joined the group. Celestia soon followed.

“I just hope Princess Celestia isn't upset with us for ruining the Gala.” said Twilight as she nervously shuffled in place

“That was the best Grand Galloping Gala ever!” said Celestia as she walked in a large grin on her face which fell when she saw the looks on her sister’s and their close friends’ faces

“PRINCESS CELESTIA!” shouted Twilight and her friends in surprise.

“I take it that it was not so great for you three?” asked Celestia and Masao nodded as he finally uncocked the flintlock which caught Celestia’s attention and that of the other ponies in the store, Donut Joe eyeing the human carefully but when he say Masao put the gun away he went back to cleaning the dishes in the sink. “What happened?” Masao shook his head not trusting himself to speak, Luna however had no such reservations, but to everyone’s surprise it was Rarity who spoke up.

“A Trio of ruffians attacked and tried to have their way with Lady Sharp Sword here, They probably would have succeeded if Ser Masao, Princess Luna and I weren’t already looking for her.” said the white unicorn surprising the group there and Celestia’s eye grew sharp.

“I see, where are these ponies now? I assume you left them alive since there was no report of a flintlock going off” asked Celestia and Masao nodded, as did Rarity and Sharp Sword, but Luna just smirked and said nothing. which did not go unnoticed by her sister. “I see… Luna, in the future, allow the guard to deal with them after you have them subdued. They are paid to deal with such”

“They art alive, and art currently in the hospital, I did not think Ser Masao would want one of his mares to kill someone after we stopped him from doing the same” up until this point there had been music playing in the background, which seemed to stop with the sound of a record scratching off in the distance as everypony, with the exception of Sharp Sword, stared at Luna, Masao, and Sharp Sword…

“Well this officially was the worst way to end the worst night ever…” mumbled Sharp Sword…

Author's Note:

Well so ends season one, in case you are wondering I am NOT going to do every episode, just certain ones, but it is implied, that unless I do a chapter based on the episode that they went exactly like the show. OH! I can't wait until Discord gets to meet our main character(or is he the main character at all? Or is it a different character??)

PreviousChapters Next