• Published 15th Mar 2015
  • 1,639 Views, 99 Comments

Return Of The Lunar Knight: A Sharp Sword's Knight - Moonlit Novel



Evening Star is dead, centuries have past and now Masao returns to Equestria, Bat Ponies in tow

  • ...
18
 99
 1,639

PreviousChapters Next
Common Era Chapter Three/Post Lunar Rebellion Chapter Four: Sharp Sword is Who!?

Author's Notes:

Thanks to Deadinlight for beta-reading and helping me edit

Common Era Chapter Three/Post Lunar Rebellion Chapter Four: Sharp Sword is Who!?

The road into Canterlot was steep, so steep that some of the bat ponies actually had to use their wings to help them keep moving forwards, Masao and Sharp Sword had their own difficulties, without wings they couldn’t use the air to help them climb the steep roads. Thankfully Sharp Sword had the solution in the form of in a way magnetizing her hooves and Masao’s hands and feet, promising to remove the spell once they reached the top.

“So why did the unicorns of Canterlot make the city’s main road out this steep, I mean couldn’t they with magic, or even hiring Earth Ponies, have leveled it off a bit? asked the human. Mostly surprising the mare with the thought process.

“The main road used to be where the train tracks are, and ever since they were laid no one thought about leveling off another avenue of pedestrian transportation.” said the armored unicorn and Masao grunted…

- - -

Having finally reached the gates, it took the guards stationed there a moment or two to realize that yes there were truly ponies at the gates, two of them armored, and while one did have the symbol of the Lunar Remnants, it seemed more pure, less tarnished, both by the actions of said group and by the years that had past, it seemed as if this creature, was the originator of the symbol, and the guard pitied any that tarnished the symbol…

Having caught his breath, Masao stood to his full height once more and walked towards the guards.

“Ser Masao Darkheart, Knight of Equestria, returning from the gryphon kingdom, with a clan of bat ponies under my charge” said the armored human as Sharp Sword trotted up beside him.

“Captain Sharp Sword, Escorting Ser Masao and his group” said Sharp Sword her armor a little more tarnished, both by combat and by her past. She was well known to the guard here in Canterlot, the nobles had requested that she not be allowed access to the city, but what could they do? If the human was telling the truth then stopping them from entering would be a grave insult, one that they would probably not live through.

“Proceed directly to the castle, the nobles have yet to rescind their request to keep you out of Canterlot, Captain” said the guard on the right and Masao frowned, not that it was seen from behind his helm.

“Inform these nobleponies, that should Captain Sharp Sword be barred entrance in the future, they will have to deal with me instead, I will not have my honor insulted by having the mare I have chosen to travel with have her future dictated by her past. Yes I saw the way you looked at her. Surely these nobles learned from their ancestors’ mistake about questioning the wisdom of their princess” snapped Masao and the guards clicked their back hooves together in a crisp salute.

“It will be done, my lord, but until then I would still suggest that you head to the castle directly, as to minimize the chance of nobles forcing you to enact your warning before they receive it” Masao nodded as he headed towards the castle, the clan of bat ponies following close behind, and Sharp Sword staying close beside him, pointing out a few landmarks which caused Masao to chuckle at her childlike behaviour.

“Oh come on, it is not like you are not curious, or do you know a lot about Canterlot as well, oh ‘Grand Elder’?” Sharp Sword teased to which Masao smirked under his helm.

“Oh not much, just that it was founded by unicorns during the first half of Celestia’s solo reign and that it is built over a crystal mine that is still full of crystals even though the mine has been left for empty for years. I know that many of the problems that Equestria faced are because of the noble families here in Canterlot” said Masao not caring that he was upsetting the nobleponies that were listening in on his conversation, all the while they drew closer to Canterlot Castle, it being Masao’s first time actually being at the castle he smiled knowing the adventures that castle would play party to. When the large group arrived at the gates there stood Celestia glaring at Masao.

“I see that you haven’t changed a bit, Ser Masao, still insulting the nobles whenever you have the chance” she said and Masao chuckled, before walking up to the mare and hugging her tightly.

“I have missed you too, my dear dear friend, all others think that mere years is a long time, but it is nothing to us now is it?” asked the human and Celestia broke down and sobbed quietly into his shoulder.

“Thou art a fool, but thou weret Evening Star’s fool, and my dear friend” she said in that old tongue that Masao knew quite well. and he hugged her all the tighter. “Tell me, did she ever find you? Please tell me she did, that she—”

“Evening Star and I were together for years, nice long years, safe in the Gryphon Kingdom, I… I held her close as she slipped peacefully away” said Masao choking up a little before he shook himself and pulled away from the solar diarch. “That is not why I am here though, these ponies are looking to gain citizenship, and your protection from the ones who hunt them, this Day’s Legion, and the Lunar Remnants” he said which caught the ire of Celestia, not leveled at him but at the aforementioned groups as she realized he had just claimed the group he was with as his own.

“Don’t worry, Ser Masao, for the loyalty you showed Equestria, even during the Lunar Rebellion, I will assure these ponies safety.” she said before turning to the very quiet Sharp Sword, “I had wondered where you had went when I offered you a place to stay here at the palace, I heard reports of a ‘captain Sharp Sword’ taking the reigns of the hunt for these groups a captain that I did not promote” at that Masao frowned towards the young unicorn but wasn’t actually frowning at her, not that she knew it as she seemed to shrink back at the fury slowly growing from Masao.

“From what I gather, these nobles” said Masao spitting out the word nobles as if it were a vile word that lowered his worth just from being spoken, “suggested that she leave the city and not return, the city guard was also told not to let her pass, and I have a feeling if you had not been here at the gates there would have been an altercation between me and these guardsponies, one that they would be hard pressed to survive, let alone win…”

- - -

Later that day, the bat ponies having been set up in a darker part of the castle whilst Masao and Sharp Sword sat with Celestia in her library, as a young Twilight Sparkle looked at the human in awe. Something that made Masao nervous.

“Is there something you needed, miss Sparkle?” he asked before facepalming he had not been introduced to the mare yet this was going to be awkward.

“How do you know my name? Does your species possess telepathic abilities? Are they all immortal like the princess? Are you really the only one of your kind here on Equis?” Masao stopped listening after the first four questions as he took a deep breath and sighed.

“I will answer four questions and no more, a day, and some questions I will not answer, not for you, not for Celestia, not for anyone” Masao said with finality and Twilight looked at him in shock, there were things he kept from the princess? Impossible! The Princess knew everything!

“The Princess knows everything!” countered Twilight and Masao who had been drinking something spurted it out right into Celestia’s face much to Sharp Sword’s amusement.

“W-what?” asked Masao slightly choking on the drink as Celestia then dumped the water pitcher on his head causing Masao to glare at her while Twilight looked on in wonder as the human then tackled the white mare and they started rolling around laughing at the other antics all the while trying to one up the other…

- - -

Soon Twilight had to return home and Masao just glared at Celestia who trotted away, a little bounce in her step. She stopped at the gates.

“Are you two coming in or not? The servants don’t need to be kept up all night waiting for you two to make up your minds. I take it you will be sharing a room?” asked Celestia and the duo started to head into the castle, “Sharp Sword be a dear and follow the servants, they will guide you to your room, and I’ll guide Masao there in moment, there are somethings I need to talk to him about” said Celestia more for the servants to hear, which meant that she better make it to her destination or there would be trouble. However Masao looked at the mare curiously as Sharp Sword was lead away by one of the castle servants.

“What is it you needed to talk to me about?” asked Masao curious as to what was so important that it could not wait until tomorrow.

“I am sure you have noticed how… Familiar Sharp Sword is to you, and with you, yes?” asked the mare as she guided Masao to the castle gardens and Masao remained quiet unsure of where this is going.

“Occasionally, when a pair of soulmated ponies meet, and one is immortal, or more likely, destined to have an extraordinarily long life, and the other dies, occasionally the one that died is reborn in the form of another pony, sometimes not even the same species as he or she was before. Worse happens when, a rare number of times, with herds, if one or more mares is soulmated to a stallion and the stallion dies, and one or more mares do, but one of the survivors was soulmated with the stallion, the whole herd is reborn.” said Celestia causing Masao to look at her and then in the direction Sharp Sword had disappeared to, and back again to Celestia.

“Sorry, but did you say Sharp Sword is the reincarnated form of Evening Star? That’s…”

“My heart says she is, when I first met her, I felt like I knew her. It was confirmed later on when she started to roam the castle with me, which incase you didn’t notice I had built in a similar layout as my old home, and she stopped where Evening Star’s and your room would have been had you both been here.” Masao wanted to say it was a coincidence to say she was wrong, but the way she had felt, both when they were alone, and otherwise felt so familiar, as if…

- - -

Masao and Celestia stopped by what was a familiar door, and for a moment he thought he was back at the castle of the two pony sisters, before he remembered that…

“Did you mean what you said? That she really is, that she’d be ok with me moving on like this?” asked Masao and Celestia understood what he meant and nodded.

“Of course she would. She knew you were going to outlive her ever since that night, and she never loved you any less did she? Now go get in there before Sharp Sword starts thinking you and I are dating, Elysium forbid” chuckled the mare as she nudged Masao into the room with her nose. Once inside the room Masao pulled the blue unicorn into a hug and kissed her gently…

- - -

“So the traitor woos the princess once again, and he brings that spy into the castle… Maybe it was time we showed the princess how wrong she truly is about her so called friends?”

Author's Note:

Well didn't see that coming now did you? :derpytongue2:

PreviousChapters Next