• Published 11th Mar 2015
  • 613 Views, 16 Comments

Into the Myst - flyingweaselman



Twilight’s curiosity was a mistake, could it be a blessing in disguise?

  • ...
0
 16
 613

Chapter 3: Ages

Twilight was escorted first by Atrus through the compound that was his home. Catherine was already out, going to assist Yeesha in preparing the dining area for their meal. They walked out of the laboratory and towards an elevator. Atrus pushed a button and the doors opened and he went inside. Twilight followed and as soon as they were inside Atrus pushed a button and they were lowered down a level to a raised pathway attached to the side of the cliffs above the lake. As they walked, Twilight was able to get a better feel for what Tomahna was like. It felt as if the whole landscape was built with this place as its focal point. The river's source waters were here. Which was impressive because the small size of the lake in the middle of the cove created the massive waterfall which fed the river.

The compound was designed with the intention of having its tenants be outside for most of their stay. The yurts that formed rooms weren't very large and could hold only a few people comfortably before it became crowded. Most of the buildings were elevated and sitting on ledges of cliffs. A lower level, at the same height as the surface of the lake, had more buildings with varied rooms. Some platforms were designed to help gain access to the lake. It was an idyllic place for a single family to live in privacy.

Twilight and Atrus walked on the catwalks around two buildings before reaching a door that lead into an open dining area. A small kitchen could be seen through a door off to the side. By its size, Twilight figured that it wasn't meant for preparing large meals. It served its purpose as an informal dining area. Yeesha and Catherine began to set the table with simply designed plates and cups. Atrus motioned for Twilight to take a seat and went into the kitchen to help his family.

Twilight walked over to the table and pushed out a chair. To her displeasure, it wasn't designed for a pony to sit at. She lifted herself awkwardly onto the chair and tried her best to figure it out. However, it was a difficult process. The chair wasn't deep enough to allow her to comfortably sit. Yet she stubbornly tried to make it work. Catherine noticed the difficulty that Twilight was having and quickly finished what she was doing.

"I think that I can find you something more suitable for you to sit on, Twilight," Catherine said.

"No," Twilight said through a grunt, "it's fine." She'd managed to get on the chair somewhat but now had one leg hilariously sticking out the side under one of the arms. Her head lay on the ground with her fore hooves outstretched. It looked very uncomfortable. Twilight, after her comment, jerked her body in an attempt to get upright. All Catherine could do was watch and wait for Twilight's consent. Her face showed she was trying very hard not to laugh out loud.

After another few moments of trying hard, Twilight gave up. "Alright, help me," she said in resignation.

Catherine reached out with her hands and pulled on Twilight's hooves to help give her some leverage. After some squirming, Twilight managed to free herself.

"You can grab one of the ottomans," Atrus said from his seat. He had also tried very hard not to laugh, Yeesha as well.

Catherine nodded and walked off for a moment. A soft chuckle could be heard from her as she left the room.

Twilight smiled in embarrassment before Catherine came back with an ottoman of the appropriate size. She set it down at one end of the table. Catherine sat at the head with Atrus to her left and Yeesha to her right. Behind Atrus, the room was completely open to the air. A solid guard rail shielded anyone from unintentionally going over the edge. The wind blew, bringing pleasantly warm air into the room. Above them was a glass ceiling. It allowed for light to enter the room yet it shielded them from the heat of the sun.

On the table was set a bowl with a wide arrangement of fruits that Twilight hadn't seen before. A large salad bowl was placed next to it along with dressing bottles. A plate of sandwiches was the main focus of the meal. When everyone was seated they all began to plate food. Twilight's horn glowed as she began using her telekinesis to grab herself a sandwich and some fruit. She placed them evenly on her plate and eyed them hungrily, not realizing how empty her stomach was until now. Twilight began eating ravenously when she noticed everyone else had stopped what they were doing and were staring directly at her. She was in the middle of a bite of her sandwich and had sauce all over her face.

Sauce dripped off Twilight's face as she swallowed. "What?" she asked. Suddenly, realizing how much of a slob she was being, she picked up a napkin with her magic and wiped off her face. "Oh," she said, slightly embarrassed.

Atrus spoke first. "It's not that. We never seen anything like that before," he said pointing to the napkin that Twilight was levitating.

Twilight remembered how Atrus had reacted when she had talked about her use of magic. It was a little strange to Twilight that Atrus would talk about writing worlds in books then visiting them at will and how unusual it was for him when she used magic.

"At least I know now what you like to eat. I knew that tomato sandwiches would work," Yeesha said. "I was worried that you wouldn't like it."

"It's great, thank you!" Twilight said sincerely.

"How do you do that?" Yeesha asked.

"What, my magic?" Twilight replied.

Yeesha nodded and Twilight began, "It's hard to explain. The best way that I can put it is that I think up what I want to happen and it just... happens."

"It's that simple?" Atrus asked.

Twilight put a hoof to her mouth and thought. "Well, putting it that way doesn't fully explain how I can cast spells. Words just can't describe it adequately. You'd have to be a unicorn to understand."

Atrus looked upset. "I was hoping to learn more on how that worked."

"I'm sorry," Twilight said. She had tried to explain before how unicorn magic worked to other ponies that weren't unicorns and whenever she did she could never find the appropriate words. Every time she was asked she felt that she either oversimplified or overcomplicated it. Magic, to her, was very specific and nuanced that was nearly impossible to share it with anypony that wasn't magically adept.

"There's no need to apologize Twilight," Atrus said.

"I wish that I could help you understand at least a little bit since you're scientifically inclined."

Atrus chuckled. "Believe me, I really wish that you could too."

"It's similar to my old amulet Father," Yeesha said.

Atrus looked slightly annoyed at the memory. "Yes, and there's a lot of things from Serenia that I haven't been able to understand yet."

"Yes, and this might be just another one of those instances," Yeesha said through a mouthful of sandwich.

"Yeesha, be polite!" Catherine chided. She turned her attention to Twilight, "And where are you from Twilight? I don't believe I've had the chance to ask that yet."

Twilight was all too happy to oblige. She quickly swallowed the food that she was eating and began. "I'm from a place called Equestria, which," she tilted her head to Atrus, "he explained is nowhere near here. It's a place where ponies of all kinds live in harmony."

Yeesha's eyes went wide and she looked to Atrus. "Do you think that I can go there someday?" she said hopefully.

"It depends, Yeesha. In this case, Twilight should be the one to decide," Atrus said parentally.

"It shouldn't be a problem. I'll have to talk with the princesses before I can make a decision," Twilight responded.

"So there's a world filled with ponies like yourself and ruled by princesses. It sounds like a little girl's fantasy," Catherine said, smiling at Atrus.

"I wrote that Age for Yeesha to go to when she was younger. I must've forgotten," Atrus said dismissively.

"You had other things you were worrying about at the time. I don't blame you," Catherine said.

Twilight was looking back and forth between them, a little puzzled. "Why, what happened?"

"I got kidnapped by my brother," Yeesha said through a mouthful of food.

Twilight was shocked to hear that. She had the sudden horrific image of her brother kidnapping her against her will. However, she brushed it off as soon as it began. Shining Armor would never be so evil to do that. They were too close.

"Yeesha!" Both Atrus and Catherine said. Yeesha merely shrugged her shoulders.

They conversed more about Equestria and Twilight, again, was eager to share everything that she could about her home. She loved it so much and her friends in Ponyville had helped her through so much. Catherine and Yeesha were eager listeners, both of them giving intelligent questions on the same level as Atrus. Twilight was happy to see that each of them were very intellectual. However, now she was growing more and more homesick. The thoughts of almost having her connection to Equestria severed forever made her want to return as soon as possible. When they were at that point, Twilight sought a good way to end the conversation.

"It's getting late, I really should get back to my home," Twilight said politely.

"Yes, I don't want to keep you waiting," Atrus said.

After briefly cleaning up their meal they set off towards Atrus's library. Twilight was lead through more catwalks above the lake below to an elevator different from the one they had taken from the lab to this main level. It was smaller than the first and had a very simple brass cylindrical design. Atrus entered first, as before, and when Twilight was inside he pulled the lever. It only had two positions, either up or down. When they first got in it was in the up position.

They descended below ground level and through the bedrock. The surface of the lake passed their view and the elevator grew dark. Electric lights illuminated the small space as they worked their way downward. Twilight began to wonder how far they were underground. They descended for several more seconds before the view port of the elevator revealed an underground cavern. The sound of water trickling gently through the ceiling was heard throughout.

Atrus opened the elevator door, revealing more of the underground to Twilight. A smooth and straight path lead away from them towards a wall with an ornate circular door. The source of the water's sound came from streams that ran next to the path on either side through a decorative trench. A guard rail bordered the edges of the walkway, defining where it was acceptable to walk. On the top of each of the poles a small light shined down on the path, dotting it with light.

Atrus walked out from the elevator and Twilight followed. She was looking around and taking in the sights. It was impressive to her that Atrus had been able to construct such a cavern. It must have taken a great deal of time for him to get everything ready.

"Did you make this yourself?" Twilight asked.

"I had a little help from my people, the D'ni," Atrus said as they walked.

"Do they live near here?"

Atrus shook his head. "No, they live in another Age called Releeshan."

Twilight was always impressed when she heard about more Ages. There was an infinite number of things that she wanted to learn from Atrus, especially how Ages were made. The field of science in Equestria would be furthered much faster using other Ages than if they were simply left to their own devices. Twilight had deduced at this point that there was an infinite number of possible Ages to visit using the linking books that Atrus had talked about. For now, however, she needed to get back home.

Atrus stopped at the doors. They were circular and had ornate filigree set into the dark oak doors. He opened them inward and Twilight saw the moderate storage of books that Atrus had. The room was rectangular with shelves lining each of the walls. A writing desk facing them was at the end of the room opposite the doors. This library wasn't very large but, in the end, Twilight was in awe because she sensed that many of those books contained links to other Ages.

Atrus walked in routinely and placed his hands on his hips, his gaze searching the bookshelves.

"Everything alright?" Twilight asked as she walked up next to him.

"Yes, I just have to remember where I placed your Age," Atrus said, bringing a hand to his chin.

After a few moments of thinking Atrus moved suddenly to one of the bookshelves off to their right. He twitted his fingers over one of the rows of books before he reached in and pulled a book off the shelf. It was similar in design to the linking book that Twilight had lost but was bigger. It had in large gold letters, Equestria.

Twilight's heart leaped in her chest as Atrus brought the book over to the desk and opened it. Twilight quickly moved over next to Atrus, a broad smile on her face.

Atrus let out a satisfied breath as he opened the book. "There you go." He motioned to it with his hand.

In the book was a familiar rectangular panel that showed the interior of the room Twilight had left in Equestria. Relief soon flooded through her at the sight. She looked up to Atrus with a grateful look on her face. "Thank you," she said.

Atrus returned the gratitude with a nod. "It was my pleasure. Feel free to come back any time you like. I'm sure that Yeesha would be the most happy with that. She'll probably still want to go to your Age one day."

"I'd like that," Twilight said, "It'd be the least I can do for the kindness you've shown me."

With that Twilight looked back to the panel on the linking book and began to move her hoof over it. Thoughts of telling her friends the adventure she had just been on filled her mind. Spike would probably greet her with a snide retort on how she shouldn't go off on her own like that again. All of that filled her with overwhelming nostalgia. It surprised her to have felt that way with such intensity, but then again, she had almost lost her only way back to her world.

Moments before she could place her hoof on the book and return to Equestria a shock wave of force shook the room violently. Books fell from the shelves and became scattered about on the floor. The lights flickered and dimmed. Atrus nearly fell over but braced himself on the desk while Twilight lowered herself to the ground. Moments after the initial shock, a second wave throttled the room. Cracks appeared in the ceiling and walls and water began to rush into the cavern at an alarming rate. The earthquakes didn't cease and unsettling tremors continued to rock the earth. The sounds of earth grating against itself were nearly deafening.

"What's happening!" Twilight shouted in alarm.

"I don't know!" Atrus replied.

Atrus did his best to get up but the tremors hindered his movement. He turned to Twilight. "I have to get outside!" he exclaimed. Worry was apparent on his face even in the dimmed light. Twilight nodded back at him.

Atrus then moved as quickly as he could out of the room and towards the elevator. Twilight began to follow, worried for him and his family, and before she was too far she looked back at Equestria's book on the writing desk with longing.

Atrus sensed her worry and willingness to help and shouted back over the noise. "This room will be fine, the water drains out to the waterfall and I've had the cavern reinforced to endure for centuries!" He was propping himself up on the door frame to keep from falling over. Twilight nodded back at him after giving the book one last glance.

They both worked their way with difficulty to the elevator. Lights were flickering madly at the disturbance. The gentle trickle of water had become more violent and spattered water on the walkway. Atrus did his best to move on his own but ended up tripping. Twilight swiftly helped him up and he grabbed the guard railing for support. Twilight was having some difficulty, too, moving along the path. Her gait swayed with the trembling earth.

Twilight was the first to get to the elevator and Atrus followed soon after. He quickly pushed the lever upward to make them reach the surface. The ride wasn't smooth. They felt as if the elevator was being beaten with a bat while they were riding. Twilight gritted her teeth every time the elevator hit the walls. Atrus grunted as he held fast to the hand rails during their rough ascent.

Finally, they rose above the surface. The sky had become pitch black with night, a swirling starry expanse enveloped the horizon, appearing to move and fold like fabric. Thunder boomed all around them as gusts of wind howled through the once peaceful dwelling. The surface of the lake below was filled with white-caps reflecting the tempest that blew. Once secured rope bridges were now billowing with a life of their own, making them impossible to cross. Some catwalks had become impassable with debris.

The elevator reached a jarring halt at the level they had their meal earlier. Once the door opened Atrus quickly moved outside to the edge and with a hand over his brow looked around. Twilight followed behind, a look of worry on her face. Wind blew her mane in all directions as she squinted to try and get a good view of the situation. She couldn't see any obvious signs of Catherine or Yeesha.

"You go back to the dining area! I'll check the other side of the compound!" Atrus said to Twilight.

Twilight nodded resolutely and started off towards the dining area. The wind made it hard for her to see. She couldn't fly unless she wanted to risk being violently tossed with the wind. The thunder in the air coupled with gusts made it hard to hear anything. Twilight did her best to move swiftly through the compound to find Atrus's family.

She squinted against the wind and moved through the walkways towards the kitchen. Thunder clapped in the air again after a flash of lightning. The path, thankfully, was secure and clear enough for Twilight to make her way to the dining area with ease. When she reached the open room the table and chairs had been tossed by the wind. Potted plants had been overturned, placing soil all over the floor The furnishings were making it difficult for Twilight to cross. She maneuvered carefully around them and made her way to the kitchen.

"Catherine! Yeesha!" Twilight called out but received no answer.

Upon entering the room Twilight noticed that everything was surprisingly in place. It was enclosed, with the only entrance being the one that lead to the dining area. Because of the small size of the room Twilight confirmed that none of them were here. She let out a disappointed sigh at that discovery.

Soon after Twilight's entrance to the room a loud crack sounded through the room. The ground shook hard and the kitchen's contents began to be displaced. Pots clanged loudly against the floor, falling off of their hangers above the counters, disorienting Twilight with the noise. A crack in the ground outside the room formed and began to widen. The dining area was separating itself from the kitchen. Twilight could only watch from her crouched position as the other room fell to the lake below.

Now Twilight was isolated. The only way out from the kitchen was across an impassible obstacle by hoof. If she was to fly then she'd risk getting blown against her will to wherever the winds decided.

Through the debris and mist blowing through the air from the lake, Twilight was able to see the other end of the compound, but only barely. Atrus was having the same amount of luck. There were several paths that he needed to take to move forward but now had become nearly impossible to cross. Despite that, he was making every effort he could to get around to where he thought his family would be. Twilight had to admire him for that. She would do the same for her friends or family back in Equestria.

As Atrus slowly made his way through the compound, searching through different rooms, a couple of silhouetted figures caught her attention. They were on the lower level, huddled inside one of the yurts near the edge of the lake. Water was crashing into the open room over them. A bright flash of lightning revealed to Twilight that it was Yeesha and Catherine and they didn't look to be in very good shape. The normal path to exit was too treacherous to cross. Twilight looked back to where Atrus was and saw that he had made his way through the blocked path and was in one of the rooms. Unfortunately, both he and Twilight were a level above where Catherine and Yeesha were.

Upon looking back to the women's location she could see visible shaking in their yurt. It was going to fall into the water at this rate! Twilight looked around for any way she could possible make it over there in time. There wasn't any time to react as she heard Catherine and Yeesha cry out in fear as the building lurched dangerously towards the lake. More water cascaded over them and threatened to pull them in, and Atrus was painfully unaware.

Twilight knew that she was the only one who could do something, anything, to help save them. If they fell into the water, with how tumultuous the surface was, they could drown or worse --they could drift over the edge of the waterfall!

Lightning again lit up the night followed by a terrible boom of thunder. Twilight got up from her perch and spread her wings. She beat them down with great force to propel her over the edge of the destroyed dining area and into the air. Twilight shrieked immediately as the whirlwinds buffeted her around like a piece of paper. Adrenaline pumped through her veins as she knew her purpose. Determined to beat the storm, Twilight flapped her wings with all the force she could muster and flew towards Catherine and Yeesha.

"I'm coming!" Twilight yelled.

It was hard work but she managed to get near to them. Catherine was clinging to one of pillars near the rear of the open room while Yeesha held tightly onto her. They were both soaking wet. A wave crashed over the two of them. Catherine spat out the water in her mouth as Yeesha coughed from water attempting to make its way into her lungs. Twilight did her best to hover over them but with the wind she had to correct herself constantly. Catherine looked up at Twilight with concern as all she could do was watch and hold on to the wall and Yeesha. With strain, Twilight encircled them with her magic and lifted them out from the building. Twilight panted hard with the exertion and made her way as quickly as she could to a catwalk that was several feet above the surface of the water.

It was one of the most difficult things that Twilight had done. She had never had to focus on her magic as well as flying through a storm. When Catherine and Yeesha were safe on the catwalk, Twilight dropped herself suddenly onto the path, grateful for the break. Twilight rolled over onto her back, exhausted from the feat, and panted raggedly.

"Twilight!" Yeesha called out with concern. She moved quickly over to Twilight's side and knelt next to her. "Are you okay?"

Twilight lifted a hoof dismissively. "I'm fine," she said wearily.

Catherine moved over near them both. "Are you sure? That didn't look easy."

Twilight, having stabilized herself somewhat, pushed herself into a seated position. Still panting she said, "Anything for my friends." Twilight smiled and Catherine smiled back.

In a moment concern came back to Catherine's face. "Where's Atrus? Is he okay?"

Twilight nodded. "He's fine too. When the earthquakes started, we both came back up to look for you." Twilight looked up a level. "He's up there."

Another flash of lightning shown through the air and Twilight caught a glimpse out of the corner of her eye an unknown figure. She looked over in the direction she saw it. Sure enough, a man that was definitely not Atrus was moving quickly through the compound. He managed to take routes that were still clear. It soon became apparent that he was going to the elevator that lead to the library.

Panic filled Twilight's mind, almost more so than the thought of Catherine and Yeesha drowning. Equestria's linking book was down there and if anything happened to it then she would never see her home again.

Twilight was conflicted. She wanted to see both Catherine and Yeesha to safety, but she also felt a yearning need to go home. Twilight looked back and found both of them looking directly at her. Care and worry could be seen in their expressions and Twilight immediately decided to see them to safety. Twilight blinked away the moisture in her eyes. "Let's get you two safely back to Atrus," Twilight said.

Catherine and Yeesha nodded before they all got up and began moving up the ramp they were on. The wind still tried to snatch them from the path and the ground shook with tremors once more. Twilight lowered herself to the ground while Catherine and Yeesha clung to the rail. Once the tremor was over they began to move again.

"Catherine!" Atrus's voice could be heard.

"Atrus!" Catherine called out.

Once they were at the top of the ramp they turned and Atrus ran quickly to them and embraced his family. A look of the deepest relief flooded through Atrus's face as the family held each other. Twilight smiled at the show of love they shared.

Twilight's face became serious. "Atrus, does anyone else live here?"

Atrus looked over at Twilight, a little puzzled. "No, why?"

Twilight became more worried. "I saw another person. He's going to the library."

"What?" Atrus said. Sudden shock went through his conscience as his eyes widened. "The library!"

Catherine and Yeesha, after hearing what had happened also became very concerned. They finished their embrace and Atrus immediately began heading towards the elevator that lead down to the library. Each of them followed closely behind. As the reached the elevator they all noticed how it currently wasn't there. It was underground. Atrus pulled the lever near where the entrance should have been. Mechanical noises sounded as gears turned, recalling the battered elevator to the top. Once it was up and the door open, Atrus got inside. Twilight got in next to him as they had done before. Unfortunately, since the elevator was so small, it could only accommodate the two of them.

Catherine watched with worry. "Be careful."

"I know," Atrus said with a smile and pulled the lever making him and Twilight descend.

Once through the layers of rock the elevator door opened and they both left for the library in a hurry. Behind them, the elevator began to rise back to the surface. Twilight and Atrus reached the door of the library quickly. Atrus reached to a handle and tried to open the door. It was locked. He then jerked the handle with all the force he could muster while slamming his shoulder into it. The door wouldn't budge.

"Stand back!" Twilight said as her horn began to glow. Atrus quickly obeyed as a bolt of energy shot from her horn and tore apart the door. Splinters crashed aside as the entrance was now accessible.

Once some of the smoke and debris had settled, Twilight and Atrus went inside. Both of them were prepared for a struggle. As they reached the inside they saw a man standing behind the writing desk. He was a thin man with shoulder length brown hair. The man was wearing simple clothing, a pair of dark trousers with a white shirt under a black jerkin. His face had a tired, but gentle look on it. However, when he saw Atrus a look of the utmost contempt crossed his features. Over his shoulder was draped a heavy satchel that was filled with books.

"Stop right there!" Atrus said sternly.

The man smirked at the comment before opening a book and pressing his hand down onto it. In moments he disappeared, the linking book in his hand dropped to the ground unceremoniously. Soon after, the trembling earth calmed itself and everything returned to normal. Twilight looked around, confused as to why the squall had ceased so suddenly. Atrus moved quickly over to where the man had been and examined the linking book he left behind before stopping, his gaze then fell on the empty writing desk. Disdain crossed Atrus's face.

Twilight moved over to him and asked, "What is it?" before she followed his gaze. When she saw the desk she gasped.

Equestria's linking book was gone.

Twilight looked up to Atrus in disbelief before looking back to where the key for her return was missing. "W-what does this mean?" Twilight asked with a tremor in her voice.

Atrus gave a deep sigh. "It means," he paused, "that he took your Age."

Twilight's eyes watered. Again, her opportunity to return home had been snatched away from her. She wasn't ever going to see her friends again, and that terrified her. Atrus and his family were great, and she already cared for them, but her own home had been taken from her as easily as a candle being snuffed out. It was too much to take in.

Catherine and Yeesha came in soon after and noticed a defeated Twilight next to a downed Atrus. Catherine strode over to her husband and wrapped her arms around him in a comforting gesture sensing that something was amiss. Yeesha saw that Twilight was upset and walked over next to her to comfort her in any way that she could.

After a moment of mourning Atrus left Catherine's embrace and quickly went over to one of the bookshelves to grab a book.

"What are you doing?" Catherine asked.

"That man that was here was looking for something," Atrus said as he walked over to another end of the library with a large chest.

"What could he possibly want from us?" Catherine said.

Atrus motioned to the bookshelves nearest to the desk. "He took a bunch of my books. I'm betting you that he took some of my Ages as well."

"Why would he want to steal those?" Catherine said.

"I don't know," Atrus said as he grabbed a tiny pouch from the chest, "and I don't think it's as simple as getting rich. None of my Ages were really that wealthy, and he also didn't leave a ransom note." He walked over to Twilight, "He also took Twilight's Age."

Catherine placed her hands over her mouth, suddenly sympathizing with Twilight.

Atrus placed the linking book in the pouch and knelt before Twilight, presenting her with it. "You need to follow him and take back your way home."

Twilight sniffled, "Why me?"

Atrus explained. "The reason that everything here went to hell was because he opened up something called The Star Fissure. It's a rift in an unstable Age that causes a lot of problems. I have to repair this Age while I'm in Releeshan and my family can't go in there after him."

"Why not!" Yeesha said, obviously disappointed to miss out on some adventure.

Atrus looked at Yeesha parentally. "You're my daughter and I won't let you risk your life like that. Also I need Catherine to help me because she knows a lot about this Age and I need her assistance to help me bring it back into order. Twilight is the only one that can do this."

Twilight dried here eyes with a hoof and nodded. "Alright. I'll do it."

Atrus gave a thankful shake of his head and placed the small satchel over Twilight's head. "This contains a linking book to my study in Releeshan. I'll be there for most of the day, you can contact me through this if you need any help." Atrus then opened up the linking book the man had left behind. The panel showed a desert-like environment with blue stone. No plant life could be seen at the location the book showed. The sky had dark blue clouds, blocking out much of the daylight. It was a very foreboding place. "This is an Age I'm not familiar with. So be careful.

Twilight nodded and after a moment's hesitation she placed her hoof on the panel and felt the now familiar pull to a new Age.

Comments ( 14 )

Oh my. It seems I'm not the only one writing a Myst crossover. I'll be sure to keep up with this one.

Hey there! I reviewed this fic on the blunt reviews group.
i.imgur.com/pbViF1H.png
Linkedy Link

I enjoy the story, though I may need to renew my efforts to get Myst IV. One problem, though. You use the passive voice a lot. Plot's good, and I think Atrus and Catherine are well-represented.(No idea about Yeesha, since I haven't gotten IV yet.)

I enjoy the story, though I may need to renew my efforts to get Myst IV. One problem, though. You use the passive voice a lot. Plot's good, and I think Atrus and Catherine are well-represented.(No idea about Yeesha, since I haven't gotten IV yet.)

Sorry. My Nook triple-posted.

6052107
Thanks for the input. That was a big concern for me if I was keeping everyone in character. I've been writing this mainly as an exercise for keeping characters consistent.
Also, it's good to know that some people still know about Myst. :twilightsmile:
I wish you luck on your own fic!

Whist not at all a bad story as far as I'm concerned, I really want to see it progress further and become really interesting before I can readily accept it into the Goodfic Bin. Please PM me when more is published.

Details are here.

uh no twilight home is taking by unknow person can twilight take home from stragne person? or she be loose home from him? please update/new chapter for i want to find out

where is the new chapter?

Are we to presume this story is dead? I'm honestly curious how this would play out, and ice really like to know who just stole all the ages...

Sirrus and Achenar are dead, Gehn *should* be dead, Saavedro wouldn't do this a second time, the DRC probably don't exist at this point (but even if they did, they wouldn't know atrus existed just yet), and... that shifty bastard from End of Ages (whose name I forget) probably isn't supposed to be in the picture just yet. So this has to be someone completely original.

11221095
What about the books? Could it be something like his father or something?

11882454
I already said in my prior comment that Gehn should be dead. Of course, it's been two years since then, and I remember nothing of this story, so I'm going to have to reread it. That said, this story is definitely dead, given it's now been 9 years since the last update.

11882528
Agreed, this story has been abandoned. I'm keeping it on my radar JUST in case.
I have not finished reading the books. :twilightblush: I'm not great at reading novels (probably because of it being so organized) so I was not aware of him being dead, it's been a while since I picked it up so I didn't remember his name, but I was referring to something like an enemy to his father, if his father was off the table. Another idea is that it's an enemy of <player>, for some odd reason. "A new enemy approaches" sort of thing.

11883211
To be fair, Gehn isn't "actually" dead, he's still (last we heard) stuck in the trap book we used on him in Riven, and ostensibly Atrus still has said book (unless he destroyed it)... Either way, he's in a Schroedinger-esque situation that leaves him, for all intents and purposes, essentially dead.

Login or register to comment