• Published 18th Feb 2015
  • 5,132 Views, 296 Comments

Blackest Knight - D34dly F1ng3r



A human appears in Equestria, seemingly under the control of Queen Chrysalis. Can he break her grip on him before he is forced to stain his own soul with evil?

  • ...
32
 296
 5,132

Dreams

Blackest Knight
Chapter 7

“Again.” Halberd ordered.

John held his arm out, palm forward, and focused the energy through his left arm. His forearm tingled as magic surged through it. The energy rested on the palm of his hand. He tried to focus the energy through the air to lift the small wooden sphere. The training sphere shuddered as his magic touched it. John tried to lift the sphere with his mind. The sphere slowly lifted an inch before dropping back to the ground. John dropped his arm.

“This is an exercise for larvae John,” Halberd stated. “You need to focus.”

John could not focus. Every time the energy traveled through his arm, the memories flooded back. The terrified face of the little filly. The sounds of her crying being cut off. The feel as his sword hit the stone block. The covered head with no horn. John clenched the hand of his altered arm and looked down at the scar. His previous scars from the first enhancement had healed overnight. This scar still showed after three days. Three days of constant magic practice. The nights were filled with memories, not just his anymore. He felt her memories, her dreams, her goals.

“Again.”

John raised his arm and focused the energy. His arm tingled as the energy passed through again. Even his body knew he was not supposed to wield this foreign energy. The magic pooled in his palm and he directed it to the sphere. The sphere slowly lifted an inch before the magic fizzled and dropped the wooden orb once again. His arm lowered.

“I think that will be enough for today,” Halberd said. He could tell John had other things on his mind. “Take the training sphere to your room. You can train with it if you want later on.”

John picked up the sphere and left the courtyard without a word. Ditto, who had been watching the proceedings, walked up to Halberd.

“He hasn’t spoken a word since the enhancements,” The medic noted.

“That idiot nurse pushed the trolley right past him,” Halberd replied. “I was going to pick him up for training, and I could see the look of disgust he gave his arm.”

The changelings were silent before exiting the courtyard together, heading to the meal hall.


Chrysalis viewed the training session through a window on the second floor overlooking the courtyard. John left silently and the two changelings talked quickly before leaving through another door. She was angry with the human’s progress. She needed him now more than ever.

Her scouts had confirmed that the unicorn and new alicorn had in fact been on a date, but they reported that the stallion had proposed. They were staying in the resort village for another week, but Chrysalis already had plans. They needed to be set in motion soon before the couple left. They were completely unprotected on their little vacation, but once they returned to Canterlot, they would be nearly untouchable.

The proposal had advanced Chrysalis’s plans further than she could have hoped. The royal wedding would leave both princesses off guard. The only problem was the stallion, Shining Armor himself. He was reported to be able to shield an entire city himself. She would need to weaken him at the same time she confronted the princesses. She couldn’t just kill him because she needed the wedding to go off without a hitch to get at the princesses.

Chrysalis grinned as her plan came together. The ponies were almost making this too easy. Everything was within reach, but the only problem lay with John. He was not essential to the plan, but he would ensure success. He was the one powerful enough to kill the princesses.


John sat on his bed and stared at the little wooden sphere. He had dropped it and it had rolled across the floor. It sat there, mocking him. He stared at it and felt anger rising within him. The sphere just sat there. It had done nothing to elicit his anger, but it was the object of his hate. The shaped chunk of wood was a testament to his failure. He could not lift it more than an inch. No magic he had tried would work.

The sphere laid where it was.

John wanted to smash it. To crush it to pieces. It was nearly weightless, hollow. It should have been easy to pick up. Halberd said that larvae could pick it up, that it was used to train them how to control magic. It was a lesson that lasted less than a day, but he had been stuck on it for three.

The sphere still lay there, unmoving.

John didn’t even want to learn magic. It felt wrong it use it. His body felt unnatural whenever he channeled it. He was always aware of magic in the air around him, something he never noticed before. He didn’t like the new texture it added to the air. He also felt blasphemous toward the little filly for having taken her horn.

The sphere never moved as John made a revelation. He was not angry about the magic. He did not hate the wooden orb. He realized he hated himself. He hated the fact that he had taken the life of a little filly. He was angry at Chrysalis for forcing him to not only kill an innocent, but also take the filly’s horn. John looked at the wooden sphere once more before turning around and laying down, facing the wall.


John’s dreams were turbulent. He shifted unwillingly through the memories of the filly. He knew her friends, her family. He did not want these images. He saw through the eyes of a filly a pink alicorn and felt himself the joy of potentially meeting a new princess. He remembered sneaking through the filly’s house, quickly opening and closing the door. He saw a dark monster swoop down on him. He felt the filly’s fear of the lying, murdering metal beast. The scene shifted and he saw the beast drawing its sword. The giant dark blade reflected the lies of the monster. It grinned in murderous glee as the monster raised it high above its head. The scene changed again and John was left in a black void.

Throughout the dream, John felt a presence, hovering outside the dreamscape. The presence seemed to be trying to enter the dream, but it could not. He could feel concern coming from the entity, but he did not know what it was. While the presence continued to try and enter, John felt another presence succeed as he entered the black void.

John was no longer in the body of the little filly. He had taken the form of the giant metal monster. He saw the little filly sitting in the middle of the void. He made his way to her and she spoke.

“You should not be having these dreams,” The filly looked at him with a look of sadness on her face.

John was taken aback that the filly spoke to him. She seemed like she did not belong in this dream. He felt an otherworldly presence coming from her.

“These memories are not yours, and I am sorry that you have to suffer them.”

“Why are you here?” John asked.

“I have come to take the memories back. You should not have been burdened with them.”

John hesitated before saying, “I … I … I killed you.”

The little filly stood up and smiled at him. “You were not the one to deliver the strike. The curse forced you to. I cannot blame you for not being in control of your body. You do not need to burden yourself with guilt that is not yours.”

“But I took your life.” John could not look the filly in the eye.

“The curse took my life. But you can atone for what your body did by promising me three things.”

John looked at the filly, “And what are they?”

The filly smiled, “Promise me that you will use my magic for good. It is my gift to you. And promise me that you fill not give into the curse.”

“I … I promise.”

“And promise me you will not blame yourself for my death. Blame the curse, and that meanie queenie Chrysalis.”

John hesitated. He stood for a moment before answering, “I promise.” The dream began to break around him. His last glimpse of the filly revealed that she was smiling.

John awoke, it was early morning. He looked at the wooden sphere. It had not moved since the night before. He reached out his left hand and it floated quickly into his grasp.


Luna was in the world of dreams. The dreams of all the ponies in Equestria surrounded her. She noticed none of them as she focused on a single one. She had felt the presence of this individual many months ago, but could not enter its dreams. She could not tell where this dreamer was, or if it was even a pony. She had tried entering its dreams several times, but she was always blocked by something.

Tonight, Luna could tell this dreamer was having terrible nightmares, as it had been having for the past three nights. Its dreams were turbulent and dark, but Luna could not tell what they were about. She wanted to enter and dispel the nightmares, but every attempt was blocked.

Suddenly, the nightmares stopped, but the dreamer was still dreaming. Luna attempted to enter again, but was once again blocked. This time, she caught a glimpse of a little filly. For some reason, Luna knew that this filly was not the dreamer, nor was she part of this world.

Author's Note:

Another chapter is out. I hope you guys like where its going.
Thanks a lot for reading. Comments your thoughts, and tell me if I made any mistakes.