• Published 18th Feb 2015
  • 5,132 Views, 296 Comments

Blackest Knight - D34dly F1ng3r



A human appears in Equestria, seemingly under the control of Queen Chrysalis. Can he break her grip on him before he is forced to stain his own soul with evil?

  • ...
32
 296
 5,132

Mission

Blackest Knight
Chapter 6

John stared at the set of human armor sitting on the mannequin. The changeling blacksmith had forged the armor for Chrysalis’s first ‘pet’ and it belonged to him now. Halberd had explained that it was forged from a rare metal only the blacksmith knew of. The plates were light and maneuverable, but harder than steel. The helm’s visor was shaped into a thin Y shape, and wrapped around where the eyes would be located. The design helped enhance peripheral vision without sacrificing protection. The spaulders were different from each other, the right was heavily armored to protect the sword arm, but the design did not inhibit movement. The left spaulder was smaller, to provide maximum maneuverability. The left arm’s bracer was large and hardened, meaning the wearer could use the bracer as a shield against blows. The right bracer was smaller to allow efficient use of a sword.

John’s eyes moved to the sword he would wield. The God Killer was a large hand-and-a-half sword, made from the same metal as the armor. The design allowed the weapon to be used effectively with one hand, while using two would provide a stronger, more devastating slash. Both metals were colored of the purest black. The light around the metal seemed to be sucked into the weapon and armor. The wearer of the armor would be nearly invisible, even on a night of a full moon.

The old blacksmith came up beside John as he viewed the armor and sword. “Beauties, aren’t they?” The blacksmith asked, drawing John’s attention. “Many changelings today don’t need armor or weapons anymore, so these are the last shining achievements I will probably ever forge. Only the older warriors like Halberd use my services anymore.”

“They are a beautiful set,” John replied. He had never seen this level of quality before. Strange that it had come from a species that could never use it.

“The God Killer is enchanted, you know? It has the strength to cleave the moon in two and extinguish the sun. The armor is similarly enchanted. The metal is muffled, and the wearer will not make a sound if he were to jump off a cliff. The color imbued within the metal also draws in the light around it, making it nearly invisible in low light conditions.”

“That is impressive. In my world, enchantments never existed, so blacksmiths had to hone their craft into the metal only, but I’ve never seen any armor designed as well as this. Armor in my time was lightweight, because soldiers didn’t use swords, they used guns, so needed mobility more than protection. Armor from the medieval period was heavy, but limited mobility and perception.”

“Guns?” The blacksmith asked.

“I forgot, they are human mechanisms that shoot little metal rounds, we call them bullets. It’s a lot like a crossbow, but more powerful, can shoot multiple bullets without reloading, and the bullets travel faster and with more force.”

The blacksmith hummed, “You will have to show me how to make one.”

John laughed, “I’m sorry, but I don’t know how to make them.” The blacksmith looked crestfallen.

Halberd walked up and dismissed the aged changeling before commanding John to don his armor. “We are moving out soon. We need to make it to the town before nightfall.”


Four changelings and a human moved silently through the woods, coming to a stop on a hill within view of the town their target was currently residing in. Their mission was to observe the town and find a high ranking official of the Royal Guard. The official in question was a white unicorn, who was supposed to meet with another pony, whose name and race were unknown. John’s head swum with a few questions as he withdrew a telescope from a pouch on the chest of his armor and laid down to steady his arms as he surveyed the town.

Halberd approached and laid down next to John, “Anything?”

“Not yet,” John replied. The other changelings stayed back, making sure nothing snuck up on the two laying on the hill. John spoke while he could, “What is the difference between the three Guards?”

“The Royal Guard are more of an army. They reside in Canterlot to protect the princesses, but can be sent out to deal with issues that arise anywhere in Equestria. The Lunar and Solar Guard never leave their respective princess. They are smaller groups. Only the best of the best from the Royal Guard are chosen to serve in the Solar Guard. Only the best of the best from the bat pony caverns are chosen to join the Lunar Guard.”

“The unicorn we are tracking is from the Royal Guard?”

“Yes, his name is Shining Armor. Ironic given he is your first mission,” Halberd gestured toward John’s armor.

“Is he planning an attack on the Hive?” John was skeptical. “This town like a vacation spot, and I see no guards. It would be unwise to hatch a plot here, especially this close to their enemy’s home.”

“Unlikely, we are watching him because we have intel that he is meeting with a high profile contact. This contact could get us close to the princesses.”

John was still skeptical. This was a resort town. It was similar to one John had taken his girlfriend to on Valentine’s Day one year. “This town looks like were a guy, er … stallion, would take his gir … mare … friend?” John still didn’t understand how the ponies referred to themselves as.

Halberd chuckled softly, “Yes, but the fact is that our target is here. It could be an act, to prevent suspicion.

John continued to watch the town. Around an hour passed before a carriage arrived. ‘A horse drawn carriage for horses?’ John thought before chuckling softly. A white unicorn stallion stepped out of the carriage. “Target acquired,” John informed Halberd.

“I see him, is he with the contact?”

John watched as the unicorn moved to the other side of the carriage, presumable to open the door on the other side. The carriage left, leaving the unicorn with a pink pony that had a multicolored mane. “Are there more alicorns than just the princesses?” John asked.

“What? No, none that we know of, let me see.” Halberd took the telescope and looked through it. John waited until Halberd spoke again, “It seems that we have confirmed the contact.” Halberd returned the telescope.

“How do you know, what if it’s just his date?”

“Unlikely, if there is a third alicorn, she is most likely a relative of the princesses. Maybe one of them had a daughter in secret. Either way, she takes priority over any other target. She will get us closer to the princesses than any other pony.”

John understood and watched as the couple entered a building. “They entered the hotel.”

“Alright, it’s nearly night, so we will move once the sun falls. They will most likely stay in the hotel for now.

The two watched over the town until the sun dipped below the horizon.


Morning Dew yawned as she sat up in her bed. The yellow unicorn filly couldn’t sleep. She had seen the pink alicorn enter the hotel with the white unicorn. Thinking the pink alicorn was a princess, Morning Dew wanted to meet her, but she had to finish her chores and come inside before dark. Her mother promised to take her to meet the alicorn tomorrow, but Morning Dew was impatient. She silently dropped off her bed and made her way out of her room.

Morning Dew tip-hoofed past her parent’s bedroom. She had plenty of practice sneaking out to explore, so she knew she would be back before her parents awoke. She could only hope that the alicorn was still awake as well. She opened and shut the front door quickly and quietly and turned around.

A large shadow swooped down upon the little filly before she could scream at the sight of the monster before her. She felt her mouth be clamped shut and closed her eyes as well before the monster could gobble her up.


John led the group of changelings into the town. This mission was a test for him, so he was expected to lead. The changelings were more of a support if he failed. They made their way quickly between the buildings. The hotel got closer with each step.

John was sneaking around a corner when the door in front of him suddenly opened and closed, revealing a little yellow unicorn filly with light green hair. John had no time to retreat, so he rushed forward and clamped his hand over the filly’s mouth. Her eyes widened before shutting tightly. She froze in his grip.

“Shh.” John gently shushed the quivering filly. Her eyes slowly opened as she heard his gentle voice. John tried to bend down as much as he could to make himself appear less threatening. He gently calmed the filly before trying to explain his presence, “My friends and I are playing a game right now, hide and seek, but we don’t want to wake anybody up. So you can’t scream or it will ruin our game. Do you understand?”

The filly stopped shivering once she realized he wasn’t going to eat her. He could feel her nod under his hand. John felt relieved that he calmed her down. “Okay, I’m going to let you go, I want you to go back inside and go to sleep. Okay?” another nod. John sighed a breath of relief. He would be quick to catch her again if she tried to scream, but he trusted the little filly. He was about to release her when a bag appeared and swallowed her whole. John was pushed back as a changeling tied the sack while another cast a muffle spell upon it.

“Good reflexes,” one of the changelings praised him in a whisper.

“What are you doing?” John hissed, “I calmed her down!”

“We couldn’t just let her go, she would tell her parents. Don’t worry, two of us will carry her out of town and release her once you return. We will meet you back at the hive.” Two of the changeling flew up and away. John had trusted the filly, but he could not bring himself to trust the changelings. The curse would prevent him from stopping them however, so he continued with the mission, hoping the changeling had spoken the truth.


John’s group reached the hotel without another incident. The lobby was closed and dark, so Halberd picked the lock with his magic before John rushed in to grab the guestbook. He returned it to Halberd.

“It says here that Shining Armor checked in himself, as well as one Princess Mi Amore Cadenza.”

“So there is a third princess?” John asked.

“I guess so, but she obviously has little to no influence. We would have heard about her by now if she did. She is of no importance other than getting close to the princesses. We will mark her as an observation target and report to Queen Chrysalis.”

The changeling that stayed with them, whose name was Vice, asked, “You said they checked in together?”

“Yes, in the same room,” Halberd answered.

“Someone’s a lucky stallion tonight,” Vice and Halberd chuckled lightly as John replaced the guestbook. The three quickly left the town and started the march back to the Hive.


“So the guard is dating a princess?” Chrysalis asked.

John and Halberd stood before the queen, having arrived minutes before. “Yes, it would appear so,” The changeling answered his queen. “They are booked into the same room, and are likely sharing the bed as we speak.”

“That is good news,” Chrysalis mused. “Through him, we may be able to reach Canterlot. He will be an easier target to manipulate than a princess.” She smiled, “Now it is time for John to complete his first interrogation.”

“What?” John asked as the doors to the throne room opened. Halberd and John looked back to see the two changelings from the mission carrying a bag that seemed to move of its own accord. “No.” John breathed.

The changelings expelled a small yellow unicorn from the bag. “Where am I?” the small voice carried through the room.

“John!” Chrysalis commanded. “Question her about the princess.”

John’s stomach churned as he knelt in front of the terrified filly. She recognized him and calmed a little. John’s armor shifted as he removed his helmet. He placed it on the ground and turned to the filly. The act calmed her a little more, seeing that he was not a terrifying metal beast.

“What is your name?” John asked.

The filly stuttered as she answered, “M…M…Morning D…Dew.”

“Why did you come out of your house, in the middle of the night?”

“I had seen the alicorn earlier today, and I wanted to meet her. I think she might be a princess. Like Princess Celestia and Princess Luna.”

“So you don’t know who she is?”

“No, I haven’t heard of any other alicorns. Are there more? And what are you? And you?” The filly’s last question was directed at Halberd, who was standing behind John.

“I do not know if there are any other alicorns,” John began, “and I am a human. My name is John. Halberd here is a changeling.”

The filly seemed to become scared when John told her of Halberd. “A … A changeling? I’ve heard about them.”

“And what have you heard?”

“My mom says they are monsters that take the form of someone you love and feed off your love. They …” The filly began.

“ENOUGH!” Chrysalis commanded. The filly cowered behind John as he looked back at the changeling queen. Chrysalis looked at the two changelings that brought the filly, “Place her on the block.” The changelings looked at their queen in shock before she shouted “NOW!” The changelings jumped to action and picked up the filly between them and began to walk back out of the doors.

“Where are you taking me?!” The terrified filly struggled in their grip.

Chrysalis, Halberd, and John followed the changelings, and Halberd spoke, “Should I get the …”

Chrysalis interrupted, “No, John shall do it.”

“Do what?” John asked, but he was not answered. Halberd only looked at him with pity. John was afraid about what was going to happen.

The group reached the doors leading outside. They entered a small clearing that contained only a stone block sitting upon a stone platform embedded in the ground. The platform looked like it was cleaned often, the block was chipped, as if an axe had struck it several times. John’s stomach began to churn again with renewed vigor. The changelings stopped, and the filly’s neck was placed upon the block. She had to stand to reach it, but it seemed an adult would have to kneel to rest their necks on the stone.

“John, draw your sword and execute her.” Chrysalis stated simply. The filly’s eyes widened and she began to cry.

“What?! I can’t …” He was interrupted by a blinding pain erupting in the back of his head. He fell to his knees before the pain subsided. He felt himself stand up without doing it himself. He tried to stop his legs from advancing toward the block. His hand moved against his wishes over his shoulder to draw God Killer from the sheath on his back. His body did not obey his commands. “No! You can’t make me …”

“Do it John.” Chrysalis commanded, an edge in her tone.

“Please no!” The filly pleaded, her back held by one of the changelings. Tears streamed across her face as she watched a sideways John approach her.

John stopped before the block and his arms raised themselves above his head. His hands gripped the hilt of God Killer against his command. John used every ounce of his strength and will to prevent them from falling. He closed his eyes as he felt his arms move of their own accord. He could only hear the sobs of the small filly until the felt the edge of his sword meet a small resistance. He heard and felt his sword hit the stone block as the cries of the filly stopped.


John did not sleep the rest of the night. His caretaker came into the room solemn faced and asked John to follow him. John followed in silence. They walked slowly through the empty halls.

The caretaker broke the silence after a few minutes of silence, “I am sorry you had to do that.” John did not answer. The changeling paused before speaking again. “My friend, Vice, went with you on the mission. He said you wanted to stop them from taking the filly, that they promised to release her.” John did not answer. They walked in silence before reaching to door to the enhancement room. The changeling stopped in front of John and spoke, “My name is Versa.” John looked at him. Versa continued, “I used to look down upon you, but I think it’s time I stopped acting like a larva.” John did not respond. Versa looked away, “The doctors said you are due one more enhancement procedure.” He began to walk away.

“Thank you.”

Versa looked back at John, “What?”

“Thank you for telling me your name.” John turned and entered the enhancement room.


John was lost in his mind again. The enhancements seemed to be centered on the left side of his chest and his left arm this time, as they only used a single needle in on that side of his chest and two needles of the arm below. The pain did not spread from there, but it was almost as painful as the first enhancement. He could feel them cutting into his arm, but did not put anything inside. He felt the bone of his forearm being cut and removed instead. He felt them putting something else in as a replacement. The replacement was fused with the top and base of the cut bone. The flesh was sewn back together with magic. John awoke soon after as the pain began to recede.

“All finished,” The head doctor commented. “We recommend you rest for the rest of the morning.”

John exited the room with plans to return to his room. He was passed by a changeling nurse pushing a trolley covered with a sheet. The sheet rose and seemed to cover the shape of a small pony. The head was a little farther from the body than it should be, and blood ringed the sheet at the neck. These details did not catch John’s attention however. His gaze fell upon where the head was covered. The sheet fell flat against the head. It was clear that the head did not have a horn. If John could eat, he would have lost his last meal as he looked down at the scar on his left forearm, where the doctors had replaced the bone.