• Published 18th Feb 2015
  • 5,132 Views, 296 Comments

Blackest Knight - D34dly F1ng3r



A human appears in Equestria, seemingly under the control of Queen Chrysalis. Can he break her grip on him before he is forced to stain his own soul with evil?

  • ...
32
 296
 5,132

Colors

Blackest Knight
Chapter 19

John stifled a chuckle as Fluttershy fell asleep in his arms. He didn’t want to wake her up. The attack by those wooden wolves probably took its toll on the timid mare.

“I have a question for you John.” Twilight did not know that Fluttershy had fallen asleep.

John quietly shushed her, and she trotted up beside him to see the sleeping for of the pegasus. “Go ahead,” John said quietly. “Just be a little quite. She deserves to rest.”

“Well,” Twilight began in a lower tone, “I was wondering why you didn’t use your sword. The timberwolves were more of a threat to you without your armor.”

John looked down at Fluttershy, her head resting on his chest. “I knew that Fluttershy liked animals, and I knew she wouldn’t like it if any animal were to be harmed.”

Twilight stopped in her tracks. John had risked his life to keep from upsetting Fluttershy. She trotted quickly to catch up again, “Then what was the spell you used on them? I saw you dispatch the last one with it.”

“It was a spell that suppressed consciousness. It effectively knocked them out. They will awake in an hour or two.”

“I have never even heard of a spell like that. Could you teach me sometime?”

John waited to see if Starswirl had any doubts of teaching the mare. He got a feeling of deep thought, contemplation. Then confirmation. Lastly was a picture of a hoof touching something. “I think that Starswirl has no objections, but the spell only works through touch. I was able to coat one of the timberwolves with the spell and throw it at another though.”

Twilight contemplated his answer. “So it wouldn’t be of much use against someone trained at melee combat if they can block or dodge. Being able to coat objects and throw them may be useful though.”

They broke through the tree line and made their way into Fluttershy’s cottage. John set her on her bed and they left. Twilight asked John to return to the library and help Spike with his chores, as well as clean the toilet. She was going to talk to her friends.


Twilight’s friends gathered in Sugarcube Corner. Twilight recounted the events of the day. “I was only able to see him knock out the last timberwolf.”

“Wait,” Applejack interrupted her story, “John knocked them out? Why didn’t he use that big sword of his?”

“Yeah?” Rainbow added. “The way he always brings it with him, I suspected it would be the first thing he’d use to defend himself.”

“I asked him that as well,” Twilight answered. “He said that he didn’t use the sword because Fluttershy was there.”

Silence fell over the group. Pinkie broke it by asking, “Why would Fluttershy make him not want to use the sword?”

“He told me before that he is a good judge of character, and he knew that she really like animals.”

Rarity interjected, “And he didn’t want to hurt animals in front of her?”

“Yes.” Twilight’s answer brought another silence.

Applejack hesitated before asking, “So he risked his life instead of just killing them quickly, because he didn’t want her to be sad?”

“I guess so,” Rarity answered.

Pinkie burst into tears, “That’s so beautiful!”

“I’m sure he didn’t mean it that way,” Twilight quieted her friend. “He was doing it because he knew she was probably still scared of him.” Rainbow jumped as she said that, but Twilight paid no mind. “In fact, he threw a jar of poison joke at one of them, because he had picked one for each of us as a sign of friendship.”

Her friends looked at her and laughed at his naiveté. They were interrupted as Spike burst through the door. “There you are Twilight! Come quick! Something happened to John!”

The five mares looked at each other before jumping up and bolting out the door.


The five mares looked at John, each could only barely hold back laughter.

John noticed this and sighed. A blue cloud of breath escaped his mouth. “Well, are you just going to stand there?” A blue cloud escaped with every word. His normal, semi-deep voice was now high pitched, as if he had gotten hold of helium, and held a drawl akin to Applejack’s. His short brown hair, now pink, waved in a non-existent breeze. His skin was now a bright shade of cyan. His grey irises stayed the same, but the white around them was now lavender and the pupils were a butter yellow. His arm hair had turned a purple that seemed reminiscent of Rarity’s mane. “Yes, Ah guess Ah learned the effects of the poison joke.”

The mares couldn’t hold back their laughter. They rolled on the ground as the multicolored human glared at them. “Ah don’t know how to fix this mahself, so ya’ll better git up.” The high pitched drawl only fueled their laughter. Even Spike was chuckling from the other room.

John waited impatiently for the ponies to pick themselves back up, but each time they caught a look at him, they broke into even more laughter. John finally retreated into the guest room and donned his armor. He walked back out as the mares’ laughter began to subside.

Twilight wiped her eyes as she looked at the armored human. “Ahem, haha, ahem, anyways, I guess we better go to Zecora’s.” She turned to John. “We are going to take you to a zebra named Zecora. She can brew you a bath that will reverse the effects of the poison joke.”

John made the mistake of answering. “Alright, let’s go.”


After the laughter subsided once again, the five mares led the human to the edge of the Everfree forest.

“We’re going back in there?” John’s high pitched drawl asked, to she sniggers of the ponies.

Twilight answered, “Yes, luckily there is a path to Zecora’s, and it won’t take long to get there.”

The group quickly traversed the path and soon found themselves before the wooden hut nestled in the forest. Twilight knocked on the door.

A voice emanated from inside, “Ah, ponies have come to knock on my door. I can only hope that none of them are sore.” The door opened to reveal a zebra with a striped mohawk, a large gold earring, and gold rings adorning her neck and left foreleg. “Ah, friends are here instead of foe, though there is one that I do not know.”

“Hello Zecora,” Twilight said, “This is John. He’s the human that saved Canterlot from the changeling invasion.”

The zebra hummed and waved them in. she closed the door behind them. “So is it John that needs healing? Or have you come for another dealing?”

“Actually,” Twilight laughed nervously, “John got into a patch of poison joke.”

John forgot about his voice when he asked, “Do ya’ll always speak in rhyme?”

Zecora tried to stifle her laughter, but it came through as a coughing chuckle. “Yes, I usually speak in rhyme, it is a habit I acquired over time. Now, though, for you, a bath I must brew.” The zebra busied herself with gathering many ingredients and mixing them together into a large pot. She set a fire under the pot and stirred it occasionally as she went on.

“So Ah take it this aint the first time she’s brewed this bath before?” John’s voice brought more chuckles, but the novelty had worn off.

Twilight answered with a blush, “Yes, us five and Fluttershy wandered into a patch ourselves once.”

“Please elaborate.”

Twilight told him the story of their first run in with poison joke as Zecora readied the bath. She finished as Zecora poured the brew into a bath and John stripped his armor before entering. Zecora had to stifle another laugh as she saw John’s appearance.

John quickly entered the bath. He could feel a slight tingle in his body as it returned to normal. He dunked his head and came back up with a sigh. No blue cloud escaped his lips. “Well, that was an experience,” he said in his normal voice.

Author's Note:

You know, I looked up some pictures of Zecora to help describe her, and found out that the rings on her foreleg will actually switch sides depending on which side faces the camera. :rainbowhuh: I decided to go off that it is on her left foreleg because it usually is when she faces the camera.