• Published 1st Mar 2015
  • 6,317 Views, 219 Comments

If I Could Catch Fuzz In a Bottle - shortskirtsandexplosions



While enjoying Movie Night out with the girls, Twilight Sparkle discovers what it feels like to snuggle somepony. She then makes the logical next step: attempting to distill cuddles into portable, consumable form. For science, of course.

  • ...
25
 219
 6,317

Phase One

The farm mare blinked. "Oh... uhhh..." She adjusted her hat and stepped over. "Alright, then."

"Stand over beside Rainbow Dash, please," Twilight requested.

"Sure thang." Under the buzz and hum of electrical gadgetry, Applejack traversed the length of the room and came to a stop beside the wired pegasus. "Like this?"

"Yes, thank you."

Applejack plopped her haunches down. "Whew-wee! Look at me! I'm doin' science! Bet Aunt and Uncle Orange would be proud!"

"You're weird," Rainbow grumbled.

"Takes one to know one, ya fuzzhead."

"Meh."

"What now?" Fluttershy asked.

"Okay... continuing with Phase One..." Twilight cleared her throat and looked up at the two mares. "Applejack... please nuzzle Rainbow Dash."

Every pony (and dragon) watched in silent anticipation.

"Just... nuzzle her, huh?" Applejack asked.

"That's right."

"Well... shoot. Here goes." The mare pivoted about, leaned her freckled cheek in, and brushed it lightly against the pegasus' shoulder.

A tiny stream of light flickered inside the bottle's crystal, but was all too quickly extinguished.

Twilight Sparkle visibly winced.

"Well, there ya have it!" Applejack swiveled to face Twilight again.

"Are we done now?" Rainbow moaned.

"Uhhhhh..." Twilight fidgeted with the white sleeves of her labcoat. "No. Uhm... ahem. No, Applejack, that's not enough."

"Huh?" Applejack raised an eyebrow. "How so?"

"This experiment demands a... far more intense degree of nuzzling, or else the cuddles won't transfer into the crystal."

"Errr..." Rainbow leaned her head curiously aside. "Define 'intense.'"

"Pssst!" Spike hissed and rushed forward to straighten the electrodes attached to Rainbow's figure. "Don't upset the diodes!"

"S-sorry, jeez..." Rainbow looked up again. "Twilight?"

"You have to nuzzle like you mean it, Applejack," Twilight said.

"Like..." Applejack raised an orange hoof as she thought aloud: "Cheek-rubbin' Apple Bloom in bed in order to wake her softly for the start of a fresh new school day sort of nuzzlin'?" She smiled. "Cuz I can do that for days. Heheh."

"Erm... no, Applejack, darling." Rarity trotted forward with an elegant smile. "I do believe what Twilight is looking for is something far more ardent. We are endeavoring to trap cuddles in a bottle, after all."

"I'm afraid I dun read ya, sugarcube."

"For the time being..." Rarity gestured at Rainbow Dash. "...pretend as though Rainbow Dash is your very special somepony, and I do believe that should accomplish the scientific task at hoof."

"Errrrrrr..." Twilight gulped, standing in the shadows in order to hide her blushing cheeks. "That's right on the money, actually."

Silence.

Eventually, Applejack blinked wide. "'Very special somepony?'"

"Oh..." Fluttershy hid behind a lock of hair. "...my."

"... ... ..." Rainbow Dash stared. "Alright, buck this." She started trotting off, summoning another hiss from the infant dragon.

"Whoahhhhh there." Applejack yanked Rainbow back by her tail. "Hold yer horses, Rainbow. We ain't quittin' on Twilight that easily."

"But you friggin' heard her!" Rainbow's voice cracked as she gestured. "Or, rather, heard her through Rarity!"

"Dun matter none." Applejack took a deep breath, tilting her chin up. "Remember, this here's for the fate of Equestria, and we owe it to Twilight to make this science work."

"Guhhhhhh..." Rainbow Dash folded her forelimbs. "Doesn't mean I like it one bit."

"Now, where's the brave and courageous Rainbow Dash that we all know?" Applejack smirked. "We're all friends here. And if I'm willin' to get a bit too close for comfort, than why can't you?"

"Grfff... fine." Rainbow Dash stood in place, frowning like a stained jade statue. "But as soon as that stinkin' bottle gets filled—"

"It won't come to that, Rainbow," Twilight said with a placid smile. "This experiment will end when it's finished. Now..." She adjusted the sleeves of her white labcoat. "Can we start over?"

"Meh... whatever." Rainbow squinted at Applejack. "Avoid the wings, got it?"

"Heh... got it."

"Okay... and..." Twilight pointed. "Recommence Phase One."

"Alrighty then." Applejack took a deep breath. She turned about, closed her eyes, and leaned in, stroking the length of her cheek, neck, and midsection across the underside of Rainbow Dash's chin, finishing with a graceful flick of her blonde tail-hairs across the pegasus' cheek.

Rainbow Dash clenched her jaw tut and her eyes even tighter. Her ears twitched as her chin tilted up, recoiling ever so slightly from the contact of soft silky coat to softer silkier coat. Her hairs stood on end, and it was around that time that a beeping noise clicked rapidly across the monitor behind her. Rainbow's heart-rate went up, accompanied by an orange beam of light that briefly represented the contact made with Applejack. As the orange light faded, everypony watching noticed a distinct flicker of light above the bottle.

Twilight turned about, leaning forward as she gazed with pursed lips.

The blue crystal capping the bottle turned pink, humming with magical resonance. Inside the bottle, a fine fuchsia mist appeared, expanding rapidly and filling the length of the glass container.

"Is..." Fluttershy gasped. "...is that it?"

"Oh my..." Rarity cupped a hoof against her chin, eyes sparkling. "I had no idea that cuddles looked so... enchanting."

"It's like a bunch of super tiny cupcake sprinkles making whoopie in mid-air!" Pinkie cooed.

"This is incredible!" Twilight chirped, grinning from ear to ear. "I expected data... but not so much and so soon! Thank you, Applejack! You may stop now!"

But Applejack was returning for another glide, nuzzling her fuzzy cheek across Rainbow's blue chin, then raising her backside against the pegasus' chest with agile, almost-feline curvature.

"Ahem." Twilight tapped her clipboard with a pen. "Phase One is over."

Applejack froze. Her green eyes fluttered open. "Erm... r-right..." She swiftly shuffled to the side, slightly flushed. "G-guess I got a bit too invested in makin' the nuzzle work right." She adjusted the brim of her hat and looked over. "Hangin' in there, partner?"

Rainbow Dash exhaled a breath that she had been holding tightly in her chest for the past minute. After a long wheeze, she gulped and said, "Yeah. Sure. Strong as an ox." She looked aside at the bottle and gave it a double-take. "Oh jeez!" she yelped. "You pulled out my insides!"

"No, Rainbow! It's cuddles, not organ matter!" Twilight exclaimed.

"Oh... oh whew..." Rainbow slumped where she sat, chuckling. "For a second there, I thought my Wonderbolt Academy days were over!"

"Don't be ridiculous, I'd never do anything so cruel to you," Twilight grunted. "Ahem." She flipped a page. "Okay. Phase two. Pinkie Pie?"