• Published 1st Mar 2015
  • 6,316 Views, 219 Comments

If I Could Catch Fuzz In a Bottle - shortskirtsandexplosions



While enjoying Movie Night out with the girls, Twilight Sparkle discovers what it feels like to snuggle somepony. She then makes the logical next step: attempting to distill cuddles into portable, consumable form. For science, of course.

  • ...
25
 219
 6,316

Epiphany

Twilight Sparkle's eyes opened.

She was lying in bed.

A cold glint of moonlight wafted through the window, cascading over her bed covers and limp limbs.

The mare sniffled—though she knew not why. When next she blinked, she became aware of just how wet her face was. Squirming, she raised a stiff hoof up and rubbed her cheek. Examining her forelimb, she saw that several tears glistened in the starlight.

Twilight shifted in bed. It was only then that she realized that her head was lying flat against the mattress. Every pillow that she owned was scrunched up against her chest, folded underneath her legs, and she was hugging them so hard that the downy feathers inside nearly burst free from the pillowcases.

Somehow she knew that there was absolutely no chance in Tartarus of going back to sleep now.

So, with a prolonged sigh, she got up and trotted towards the edge of her room. She lingered as she passed by Spike sleeping in his little dragon bed. Twilight's eyes fell on the infant drake, meanwhile her chest shivered from a pronounced heartbeat. She reached over, caressing his scales gently, then caressing them some more. At one point, he grumbled in mid-slumber, turning over.

Wincing, Twilight pulled her hoof back with a seemingly guilty breath. Ears limp, she opened the door and shuffled lonesomely down the steps to the main lobby of the library.

She switched a lamp on, instantly squinting. As her eyes adjusted, Twilight found herself simply standing there in the middle of her library, doing nothing and saying nothing. She was surrounded by countless books, and yet she made no attempt to read any single one of them. She had no desire to.

Instead, after much squirming, she trotted over to a mirror. Staring into the reflective surface, she noticed how puffy her eyes were. The coat just above her nose was still moist from tears. She blinked several times, tilting her head left and right. At last, she raised a hoof up, stroking it along her left cheek... then her right. She then lowered the hoof, rubbing tiny circles across her fuzzy chest. The mare looked at her hoof, then back at the mirror.

Twilight's face scrunched. She blinked several times, then looked at a chalkboard lingering in the distant corner of the mirror. Spinning around, she looked at the actual board itself. Her ears suddenly perked up, and in brisk fashion she trotted across the library, picked up a stick of chalk with her telekinesis, and began scribbling frantic notations across the board.