• Published 17th Apr 2015
  • 13,750 Views, 2,312 Comments

The Prince - BronyWriter



Prince Antares, formerly the human TD Powell, helps lead the ponies of Equestria through the trials and tribulatons his nation endures.

  • ...
94
 2,312
 13,750

The Joy of Victory

After the death of their king, the remaining minotaurs lost all will to continue the fight.

Maybe my giant pillar of fire I shot into the air while holding Purgle's head had something to do with that. I don't know.

Once we sent word of our victory back to Canterlot, I stood on the roof of Schunie's town hall, still holding Purgle's head. I magically amplified my voice to address the minotaurs in the city.

"Minotaurs of Schunie. Minotaurs of Minotauria. We have no desire to continue the conflict any further. We will not burn your city. We will not destroy your homes. We will not keep fighting if you will not. If you do not live in the city, just go home. Go home to be with your families. You have survived the most destructive war in the history of the planet. Many other minotaurs have gone home, and we will not fight them. We will leave them in peace, just as we will leave all of the rest of you in peace. We will not subjugate you. We will not hold any presence in your country. The only thing we desire to do is rebuild whatever we can. Many towns and villages have suffered destruction, including Schunie. I swear on my newborn daughter that we will rebuild what we have destroyed down to the last brick."

I took a deep breath and scanned the crowd that had gathered beneath me. None of the minotaurs seemed to be armed, which I preferred. My gut said that there'd be a few holdouts here and there. Minotaurs that would rather die than surrender to any pony army. If that was their choice, I'd honor it. Otherwise, we'd had enough death and destruction during this war to last an eternity. I didn't want to be at the head of any more.

But hey, immortal. I'll probably be in another one at some point. One that's way worse than this one because I brought about the next level of warfare trying to end this war quickly. Of course, next time there's a war I won't have introduced chemical weapons to the world yet. So there's one more card to play. And then the rest of the world figures out chemical weapons and I've just done the wrong thing trying to do the right thing again.

I flew down to the ground and began walking out of the city. All around me, minotaurs dropped their weapons and backed away as though I'd obliterate them if they looked at me funny. I didn't acknowledge a single one of them. They'd put down their weapons. They could go home.

Before I made it to the city walls, Commander Blaze ran up to me. He had a long cut running from his cheek down to his jawline on the right side. Didn't look too deep. I lit my horn and hit it with a simple healing spell. Blaze blinked in surprise as he put his hoof up to his cheek. Guess he didn't expect me to do that. It'd still leave a rather nasty scar.

"Uh... thank you, Prince Antares." I nodded to him, then walked away. He ran to catch up to me. "Prince Antares, what should we do now?"

I stopped in my tracks and stared at the wooden wall in front of me. Walls that had kept invaders out of Schunie for over a thousand years. Now there I was, standing on the other side of them. The first conqueror of Schunie.

Ugh. I already had enough titles. I didn't freaking want that one, too.

Right. Blaze asked me a question.

"Move most of the army out of the city. Keep a security force in here to keep control of everyone. I still need to talk to Princess Celestia and Princess Luna about our next big steps, but I'll let you know. Take the Gatling Guns and tanks back to Equestria at once. I don't want to risk us losing some, or one 'accidentally' being taken back to Zebrica. Pick what soldiers you think would be useful here, then send the rest home as soon as you can."

"Of course, Prince Antares. And, uh..." Blaze looked up at Purgle's headless body. "What do you want us to do about that?"

I looked back to Purgle, staring at the empty shell that was the body of the madman who had caused so much death and destruction. Odd, really. He didn't look all that threatening now. It didn't feel real. His body looked like some sort of worn-out doll that somepony had discarded and abandoned.

"Take his body, all of it, and burn it. I don't even want there to be ash left once it's over. I will not have the spot of his grave becoming a monument of any kind to his actions during the war."

"Yes, Prince Antares."

Blaze bowed to me and went off to gather some pegasi to get Purgle's body off of the roof. He picked up Purgle's head where I'd dropped it and moved deeper into the city.

We'd won. We'd stopped a madman who would become one of history's most evil villains. Hated for all of the destruction he brought down upon millions who wanted nothing to do with his mad schemes. Hundreds of thousands of beings dead from this war. Tens of thousands of ponies whom I loved like my children.

We'd won. It was over.

I wanted to go home.

* * * *

With our permission, the minotaurs managed to scrounge up a small council to watch over Schunie now that their king was dead. We alicorns had already agreed that we wanted to keep the newly formed nation as intact as we possibly could. Was that foolish? Maybe. It allowed them to get together faster if they wanted to retaliate some years down the line. We'd give them that chance, though.

It took a week, but they assembled a council, with their most popular general, Grorim, at the head. I met with them as quickly as I could. We had a lot to talk about.

A few days after their assembly, I walked into Town Hall to meet with the council. Some soldiers did still flank the doorway of the throne room, just as they had when I arrived the first time before the war, but none of them were armed. In fact, all of the pride they had before seemed to be gone. They didn't stand up tall with stoic, yet proud expressions. Instead they just leaned against the wall and talked quietly among themselves. I wouldn't even know they were security, except I couldn't figure out a good reason for them to be there otherwise.

I lit my horn and opened up the door behind them before they could react. One of them flinched up as though he still had a little pride and decorum, but the rest gave me blank looks before continuing their conversation like I wasn't there at all.

I entered the throne room and saw a group of about a half-dozen minotaurs all sitting at a large wooden table. Grorim sat at the head. None of them wore armor or carried weapons, as per the regulations we had put upon anyone in Schunie. It felt weird, seeing a group of minotaurs and none of them were armed in any way. I mean, I'm sure they could still kill with their bare hands and all, but they seemed oddly naked without any armor on.

"Ah, Antares, you're here. Good," Grorim said, nodding at me. "We'd like to get this over with as soon as possible."

"As would I," I replied, taking a seat on the opposite side. "I'm sure by now you realized that I have no intention of taking revenge against your people for the losses my country suffered during this war. We've seen too much bloodshed, and nothing would come of it. Razing Schunie would not bring my lost subjects back to their families."

"We are glad to hear it. We weren't certain you would not demand some form of repayment in return for your losses."

"Let's just say I know where that road leads, and it's nowhere good." I nodded to Grorim. "You will have control of your country again. In fact, we would like to help you rebuild. Obviously your country did not suffer extreme damage like it could have, but we sacked many villages and towns on the way here, not to mention the damage to Schunie itself. We can't bring back the people we killed, but we can make sure the survivors still have their homes."

"That is very generous of you, Prince Antares," Grorim said. "Generous to the point where I'm not sure there isn't a catch."

"I wouldn't call it a 'catch' so much as a reasonable demand." I looked Grorim in the eye and stared at him, unblinking. "All Nightmare Weapons your people possess are to be turned over to us. We're not asking."

"Ah. yes. Of course." Grorim sighed and leaned back in his chair. "I'd love to give you a whole stack of them; every Nightmare Weapon in the whole world. Unfortunately, you took our last one from Purgle. We don't have any more."

My eyes narrowed. "You wouldn't lie to me, right? If I leave this city and find out that you still have a Nightmare Weapon in your control, I will be most upset. Upset to the point where I come back and kill everyone in this room."

A few of the other minotaurs shifted uncomfortably at my threat, but Grorim remained perfectly calm. "I promise on the lives of my children that I know of no Nightmare Weapons still in our control. If I find one, I will turn it over to you immediately."

"That's good to hear. You strike me as a minotaur of your word."

"I'd rather die than break my promises."

"Excellent. My second demand is this: you will turn over the names of all of the spies you have placed in my country. All of them."

"Ah." Grorim rubbed the back of his neck. "You see... we weren't exactly made privy to that information. The only one who knew the identity of the spies was Marller, and he seems to be dead."

I shook my head. "No, actually. We have Marller. Found him in one of the villages we took over. You're certain he knows the identity of all of them?"

Grorim nodded. "Completely. You have my word."

"Excellent. I will talk to him about that." I tilted my head at Grorim. "So what will you do now? I promise that my nation will do all it can to keep the newly formed Minotauria as intact as possible. Neither of us want it to go back to nothing more than just largely nomadic bands of minotaur clans."

"We've elected Grorim as our second High King," one of the other clan leaders responded. "We're going to take steps to ensure that Purgle is remembered in history as nothing more than a mad tyrant. The remnants of his clan have been folded into ours. Clan Banag will never form again."

"Good. If there's nothing else..." I stood up and was about to leave when Grorim spoke again.

"One more moment, Prince Antares. There is one last thing."

"I'm listening."

"Your country has made it clear that you will not retaliate as revenge for this senseless war. However, I am not so certain about Zebrica, Saddle Arabia, and even Griffonia. Despite the zebras and griffins suffering comparably small losses, I fear that they will retaliate once they build up their armies again. If you truly wish for our nation to remain intact, I must know that you will come to our aid if they ever invade our country. Our army is years, possibly decades, away from being an effective fighting force again."

"And if Mesud and Mando have their way, we'll never have a strong army again," another clan leader chimed in.

"Yes. That is the way of it," Grorim agreed. "So what is your answer, Antares? Will you help us if Mesud and Mando invade?"

"Well, for starters, I would think that they wouldn't. I will certainly be talking to them about why it's a bad idea for everyone if they start the war back up again for something as petty as revenge. Again: I know where that road leads, and I don't like it. Neither would any of you."

"And if they didn't listen to you and invaded anyway?"

I hesitated. There was no way my ponies were going to be okay with going to war against our former allies to protect our former enemies. I frankly didn't want to either. I never wanted to fight another war as long as I lived. Still, though, these were beings who wanted another war about as much as I did. They were in no position to put up any sort of fight if the combined might of the zebras and Saddle Arabians came down upon them.

"I'll... talk to Celestia and Luna about it."

"Very well."

The minotaurs all exchanged uncomfortable looks. I could tell it wasn't the answer they were hoping for, but it was the answer they had to get. Powerful prince that I may be, I still couldn't make that decision on my own.

"I will do everything that I can to make sure you don't get invaded by Mesud and Mando. You have my word on that, if nothing else.”

"I suppose that's all I can ask for." The minotaurs around the table all stood up and inclined their heads in small bows. "I look forward to speaking more with you, Antares."

"Indeed. I'll speak with you more later."

For now, I had some hard work to do.

* * * *

"Marller. How are you doing?"

Marller smirked at me and patted his freshly bandaged chest. "Oh, much better, Antares, thank you. I must applaud you for your nail bomb. It almost did me in."

"Well, I'm glad it didn't. We have some things to talk about."

Marller's smile faded, and he leaned his head back on his pillow. "I gathered that you didn't take me back to Canterlot and fix me up just out of the goodness of your heart. I suppose you want the identities of the spies in the network I set up in your country now?"

"I'd highly appreciate that, yes."

"And in return?"

I raised an eyebrow. "In return we send you back to your son. We send you back to your homeland in peace, so long as you promise to cease any and all intelligence activities in our nation."

"I can't say that I didn't see this coming." Marller sighed. "I must say this does hurt a little. I feel myself a poor spymaster by giving you all of the names of my contacts."

"Part of being on the losing side, I'm afraid."

Marller scoffed. "I suppose so. You know back when this started I felt like we just might be able to win this one. There are only three of you alphas, and we had a fair few Nightmare Weapons. We just needed one lucky shot."

"War always looks easier than it is before people start dying. I learned that one the hard way this time." I grimaced. "But we've talked enough of war. Let's finish this part now. I'd rather be back with my wife and daughter healing our nation."

"Of course," Marller muttered.

I took a step forward and leaned in closer to Marller. "All I need is the names of everypony you used as spies against me." I lit up my horn. "Do that and we can be done with this."

Marller stared at the parchment for a moment, then took it and began writing. He only wrote down about five names, which shouldn't have surprised me, but did. For some reason I expected him to have this vast underground network of spies, hundreds of ponies strong. Just having a few contacts made a bit more sense, though. Easier to keep track of that way. Once he finished, he shoved the paper and quill over to me before turning his back on me and pulling the blanket over him up to his neck. Eh, let him be depressed. I had what I needed.

I scanned the parchment quickly. Huh. Interesting. I should have known that a few Las Pegasopolan weapons dealers wouldn't take the execution of Soaring Skies lightly. One of my maids? But when did...?

My eyes homed in on the final name on the paper. No. That couldn't be right. I stared at the name for a few more moments before rolling up the scroll and leaving the room.

* * * *

It went down as well as it could have.

We arrested the three weapons dealers Marller accused. They completely denied everything, of course, until we hit them with a truth spell. Then it all came out. We had no right to execute Soaring Skies. We had no right to demand intel from them. The minotaurs would have paid very well for their weapons.

Pride and profit. Disgusting.

My maid didn't even bother trying to lie. She said something about how she had been threatened. They'd kill her whole family with changeling assassins if she didn't give them what they wanted. Nothing big, of course. Just let us know when Prince Antares is leaving Baltimare. Let us know his schedule. That's all. We'd give her a fair trial based on possible extenuating circumstances, but she certainly wouldn't be seeing the outside of a prison cell for a while, regardless of what happened.

Then came time to arrest the fifth pony on the list. Neither Celestia nor I could completely believe it, but we'd get the truth of the matter soon. As we made our way to door to her quarters, we had to mentally prepare ourselves.

"Are you ready for this, Celestia?" I asked, putting a wing on my wife's back. "You can opt out if you want. Go be with our daughter."

Celestia shook her head. "No. As painful as this is and has always been, this is necessary." Celestia turned her head to look at Raining Skies, whose demeanor held none of its usual casual confidence. Her expression held no emotion at all. Celestia gave her a comforting smile and put a hoof on her shoulder. "Do not be too hard on yourself, Ms. Skies. Not even we saw this coming."

"I know," Raining Skies muttered. "I just..." She sighed and shook her head. "It's my job to know this kind of stuff. I should have been better. After you executed my cousin, I should have kept a closer eye on Las Pegasus. I should have screened your staff better."

"You and your soldiers were focusing on gaining valuable intelligence for us outside of the country. You didn't have unlimited ponies to work with. We're not mad at you," I chimed in.

"It doesn't matter." Raining Skies straightened up. "I'm offering Princess Cadenza my resignation once this has concluded."

"Something I'm certain she'll deny," Celestia insisted. "If we accepted the resignation of every pony who made a mistake or didn't perform perfectly in a highly difficult situation, we would have no more good ponies working for us. We all had to learn many hard mistakes from this war. Your entire force is not even five years old, and this is the first war the Blade Wings have been tested by. Take this and use it for the next conflict, as we will. If I cannot expect perfection from myself, I certainly can't expect it from you."

Raining Skies didn't respond. She merely stared at the door in front of us. She wasn't going to say anything else. Might as well get this over with, then. I opened the door with my magic, and we filed in one at a time. Our target sat on the far end of the room, her back to us.

"My dear Duckworth," Celestia said sadly. "How did it come to this?"

Duckworth didn't respond. Her hair was out of its usual tight bun, instead hanging down at her shoulders. I could faintly see her shoulders rise and fall with her breathing. Behind me, Raining Skies took out a pair of hoofcuffs and a horn blocker. Celestia put her hoof out to stop her.

"Duckworth, I need you to answer me." Celestia walked over to her trusted advisor and sat down next to her, while I moved to her other side. "What made you do this?"

Duckworth didn't say anything for a few moments. Even Celestia admitted to me that she couldn't guess what Duckworth was thinking in the best of times. Finally, she took a small, deep breath and bowed her head slightly.

"I offer no words in my defense, your highness, other than to say that it began with a stupid slip of the tongue. All efforts to rectify my mistake resulted only in me falling deeper into my sin. I wished every day that I could take it back."

"Duckworth..." Celestia put a wing on her back. "What happened?"

"Irrelevant."

"Duckworth--"

"Irrelevant," Duckworth repeated. "I have been caught in my sin. I have paid the penalty." Duckworth raised her hoof, showing us a small glass vial in her grasp. "Should be soon now."

Celestia gasped and retracted her wing. "Duckworth, what did you do? What did you drink?"

"A special blend of arsenic and nightshade. There's nothing you can do now, your highness." Duckworth's head started drooping, but she snapped it back up to continue staring at the wall. "I can only ask for paradise. I hope history does not judge me too harshly. History may, so long as you don't."

With that, Duckworth collapsed on the ground. Her eyes closed, never to open again.

* * * *

I shifted uncomfortably on my new throne. I didn't want to sit on it at all, but given who I was meeting with, I needed every bit of power I could scrounge up. Mesud and Mando were like sharks, and I was bleeding profusely. I needed every advantage I could get, otherwise they'd start a feeding frenzy. If they decided to invade my nation, I could do nothing to stop them. Antares had not yet responded with a promise to protect my people in the event that they decided to start the war again.

"Gentlestallions, I thank you for coming to meet me. We have much to discuss."

"Indeed we do, King Grorim," Mando said. "Starting with what you'll be doing to repay us for the lives we lost destroying that madman who preceded you."

"Ah, so we're going to try to put a monetary value on the lives of your soldiers?"

"Do not be flippant, Grorim," Mesud growled. "We have tens of thousands of grieving families back home because of Purgle's warmongering! Now that we are the victors, shall we just leave and take our losses? We demand reparations!"

"And what true reparations can my people give you?" I retorted. "Your victory destroyed a third of Schunie. That's our economic capital that has ground to a halt. We still have to find a way to repair our own country. Besides..." I gave them both a pointed look. "Neither of you were obligated to enter the war, especially not you, Mando. You declared neutrality until the war had been all but won. Those berserkers who died fighting volunteered to go to war, didn't they? And you, Mesud. You were only honoring a defensive pact? One you honored because you value your image more than the lives of your people."

Mesud snarled and slammed his hoof on the floor. "You go too far!" he roared. "You would have honored that defensive pact were you in my position!"

"I would have, that's true." I sighed. "Let's not spend any more time arguing about the cause of the war. I only want to discuss what will happen between my nations now that the war has ended. I have something for both of you. In return for this, you will leave my nation alone."

Mesud and Mando exchanged incredulous looks. "Just like that? We leave and we're all done?" Mando said. "I think you'd have to give us something extremely valuable for that to happen."

"It's a good thing that I have something extremely valuable then. Something that you want, but I doubt Antares will give you." I motioned to a squire, who bowed to me and left the room, returning after a few moments while gingerly carrying two suitcases. He set them before each of the leaders and opened them up.

"Be very careful with these, gentlestallions. I don't know what sets them off. I think you might be able to figure it out."

"Some of Antares's napalm," Mesud said quietly. "How did you come by this?"

"I captured some after my victory. Some dead pegasi had a few satchels. Now I am turning them over to you. Do with them what you wish. Merely leave my country alone. I wish to be a peaceful ruler. One who builds up his nation instead of tearing others down for my own power. Our world is weary of war. Demanding gold from me won't bring anyone back. But I hope you will accept this as proof that I am serious about my intentions."

The two of them leaned in close and quickly conferred between themselves. After a moment, they turned to me, nodding.

"Very well, King Grorim. You have our word that we will not invade your nation, so long as you do not build up your army to the level it was before."

"I doubt I'd be able to find that many willing soldiers." I nodded to each of them in turn. "If that is all, gentlestallions."

"I think that will do." Mesud and Mando each shut their suitcases, then gave them to waiting servants.

"A good day to you, King Grorim," Mesud said.

"And to you as well."

I inwardly sighed as I watched them leave. I was taking a big risk, just giving the two of them powerful weapons in exchange for a mere promise to leave my people alone. Still, even if they didn't, I had a few of the napalm bombs myself that my alchemists were working on at the moment. If they invaded, I might not be able to beat them back, but I would put up a hell of a fight.

Author's Note:

Join these delightful people as my patrons!
Razer Brony
Dawson Schawang
Jim Kieger
Andrew Denton
SADE789
Balnar
Canary
Jack
Po
Comma-Kazie
Not Tom

BTW, if there are any patrons who donated to get the reward of having their name at the end of each chapter but you don't see your name here, please let me know. Patreon updated and now I can't actually see my list of patrons. Or at least, it's much harder to find for some dumb reason.