• Published 21st Jan 2015
  • 18,134 Views, 1,526 Comments

The Awakening of a Tactician - Mountainmanmad



A young man decides to attend a convention with his friends dressed as his favorite character from the Fire Emblem series. Next thing he knows he's in Equestria.

  • ...
72
 1,526
 18,134

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 10 - A Friendly Face

I was seated at the kitchen table; a brown book before me and a seed cake pushed off to the side. I eyed the book with a mixture of trepidation and curiosity. This was finally my chance to understand why I was viewed in such a light, despite Celestia’s less than positive view of me.

And yet… despite the information placed before me, why did I feel a sense of dread? Perhaps it was the fact that I disliked being talked about behind my back. No… that may have bothered me back in the past, but I honestly couldn’t care less about how these ponies view me.

So why did the book unnerve me? The answer came to me soon enough as I eyed the title, or to be more precise, the author. StarSwirl the Bearded… he was an interesting individual.


(Roughly 1500 years ago)

I had been out exploring the forest, searching for herbs and anything edible. I had been running low on my stock of food and I needed to replenish the larder. I knew of an area which harbored edible mushrooms. A bit earthy, but tasty enough in stew. As I made my way through the forest, I felt a… disturbance I suppose. It was not unlike a signal, a magical morse code that traveled through the air. It was hurried, anxious… someone was in trouble.

I considered leaving whoever was in trouble to perish. It was hardly my fault if someone got themselves eaten because they ventured too far into the Everfree. And yet, despite my nonchalant attitude, I felt drawn to its source. It was strong, clear, whoever was in trouble was adept at magic. Certainly more so than the so called ‘mages’ Celestia kept throwing at me. One of those idiots even had the audacity to claim I cheated when I cut his horn off with my sword!

I bit my lip as I considered my next move. While I had no obligation to help any pony, perhaps aiding this individual would ease Celestia’s rage. At the very least, it would sate my curiosity. It probably wasn’t easy sending such a clear signal, and from within the Everfree as well.

Deciding on a course of action I made my way towards the distress call, my fingers gently coiled around the pommel of my sword.


It only took me ten minutes of walking to finally reach the area from which the distress signal originated. It was a decently sized open area, a circle of grass in which the trees of the Everfree could not permeate. I warily entered the clearing, my blade drawn and Arcwind held under my arm.

Several minutes prior the signal had died off, leaving me confused and disoriented. It was strange for a signal like that to simply cut off. Either the individual was no longer in need of assistance, or they were dead. I had already walked thus far though, so I decided to investigate the disturbance.

A disturbance which turned out to be nothing. I gazed around the clearing, searching for anything that could explain the origin of the signal, however, there was nothing to be found. No sign of a scuffle, no markings in the ground and certainly no blood.

I frowned in concentration as I continued to scour the forest floor. Surely there must be some magical residue left over… there almost always was. It was during my inspection that I eventually felt a presence at the edge of the clearing. It wasn’t long after that I was able to put a voice to it.

“So this is the ‘creature’ that Celestia asked me to deal with? Honestly, dragging me away from my own studies to deal with her problems. Well… I guess that’s just one of the many jobs of being the head mage.”

I grew irritable as I turned to face the offending individual. He was an old grey furred stallion, garbed in a blue cape and hat, bells attached to the seams. That actually surprised me the most. How is it that an old stallion with a large assortment of bells had managed to sneak up on me?

I coughed. “And apparently you’re the pony who lured me here with that signal.”

If the stallion was insulted in any way he didn’t show it. He simply nodded and trotted forward. “I am. My name is StarSwirl the Bearded, Lead Mage and head of the magical court under Princess’ Celestia and Luna.”

I raised an eyebrow at that one. I had no idea there was an Equestrian magical court. Still… StarSwirl was a familiar name. Briefly mentioned a few times in the show if I remembered…

“Is that so? Well StarSwirl, how exactly do you plan on ‘dealing’ with me?”

The grey stallion shrugged his shoulders. “From what I’m told you’ve already bested the greatest of mages, escaped all attempts of capture from the Royal Guard and have caused nothing but grief for the princesses. So, after giving it some thought, I decided to take a different approach.”

I eyed him cautiously, letting the tip of my sword rise a bit. He noticed the movement and laughed in response, waving a hoof in my direction. “No, no, you misunderstand me. I have no intention of doing battle with you, quite the opposite in fact. I was wondering if you’d like to have a chat over some tea?”

My cautious expression gave way to one of confusion. The only reactions I’d had gotten from ponies were either of fear or violence. This pony certainly was taking a… different approach.

I chewed the inside of my cheek as I considered my options. Here was a pony, the head mage no less, that wished to sit down, have a cup of tea, and chat. I found myself growing surprisingly nervous. I’ve had little social interaction over the past few years and I’ve come to terms with living in a hostile environment. How could I be certain that this pony isn’t leading me into a trap?

Starswirl seemed to notice my hesitation. He rolled his eyes and turned around, beginning to walk back into the forest. Without even a glance back he called out to me, “The decision is yours to make. I’m not forcing you to join me nor am I leading you astray. I simply wish to learn more about you.”

With that said he re-entered the forest, his blue cloak standing out among the brown and green. Still, it wouldn’t be long before the darkness helped to conceal him. I was left with less than a minute to come to a decision. For the first time in the five years I’ve been here I actually had another living creature that wished to converse with me. My curiosity won out over my desire to stay hidden and I quickly followed after the stallion.


Half an hour later I arrived at what looked to be a small tent in the middle of the forest. The journey had been maddening to me as it was done so in silence. Every time I attempted conversation it was promptly shot down, usually accompanied with a, “We’ll talk when we arrive.”

I stayed a few paces behind the stallion as we both entered the encampment. I constantly scanned the area, searching for any signs of ambush. The stallion, once more, seemed to pick up on my unease and chuckled. He walked up to the entrance of the tent and pulled back the flap.

He motioned for me to enter his dwelling, but I shook my head. “I’m not going in there first,” I responded as I grabbed the fabric of the tent, holding it open for him, “You first, I’ll follow after.”

He appeared affronted at my request, but didn’t argue, choosing to enter his tent with a huff. Once he had entered I followed closely behind, ducking slightly due to the height difference. Inside I beheld a phenomenon I had only previously read about. The inside of the tent contained more space than it physically should, the volume of it far surpassing the physical expectations.

There were various instruments scattered around the room ranging from vials and beakers to maps to a lone telescope tucked away in the corner. while examining the place my attention was brought to Starswirl with a cough. He was seated a table with another chair across from him. A kettle and two pots were placed on the wood surface. He called me over, “Come and have a seat, we have much to discuss.”

I warily made my way over to the chair, careful not to step on any of the junk littering the floor. Once I took a seat he filled the cups with tea and pushed one towards me. He took a sip of his own and seemed to relax. He smiled at me and spoke, “Tell me, you know my name, but I do not know yours.”

I found myself holding back a bark of laughter. On numerous occasions Celestia has inquired about my name. I mocked her at every chance I got and she resigned to calling me simply ‘creature’. Annoying, yes, but the satisfaction I got from emphasising her own name more than made up for it.

And yet here I was, placed in the same situation, but with another individual. While I’m certain this is not what Celestia had in mind when she asked him to ‘deal’ with me, any information about my person would be of some use to her. The question is, should I answer truthfully?

I looked into my cup of tea as I thought over my options. A small part of my mind wondered if the tea was poisoned. I closed my eyes as I thought about that. I’ve been alone for so long, hunted since I first arrived. Can I truly bring myself to trust no one? Am I becoming less of a human and more of a creature of the forest?

It scared me to no end that such a fate could befall me. That it could already be happening...

“Robin… my name is Robin.”

Starswirl seemed surprised by my response. I grinned inward as he scrambled for a journal. Perhaps Celestia informed him of my less than willing nature to share information? Well, perhaps if she didn’t try to smite me upon sight I’d be much more cooperative.

Once he had everything he needed he looked at me hopefully. “I don’t suppose you’d be willing to be… interviewed?”

I smiled and took a slow sip of my tea, savoring the rich flavor. “I think I can spare a few hours.”


I flipped through the book, recalling the questions that Starswirl had asked of me.

My name.

How I got here.

How my magic worked.

The book was more of an unfinished biography than anything else. Still, it was nicely written, the topics flowing together from one point to another. There were even some notes towards the back from the times we spent together talking about magic in depth.

I remember Starswirl asking me what I thought about his time travel spell he had been working on. I had noticed that he had some unknown variables in his calculations. And, wouldn’t you believe it, those variables were accounting for the travel through the void. Or, at the very least, something similar to it. I gave him some pointers and the next time we met he told me the spell was a great success.

He even helped me with some of my own magic. Starswirl was the one who suggested I try to manipulate the life force of not just sentient beings, but anything considered biological. I hadn’t even tried that until his suggestion and, wouldn’t you know, I was able to do it.

Out of all the ponies I had met back in those days Starswirl was by far my favorite. He took things with a grain of salt and never made any conclusions from a single point of view. While Celestia had condemned me from the start, Starswirl had actually given me a chance to explain myself.

I wouldn’t be far off in saying that the old geezer was the only friend I had back then. A shame those meetings couldn’t go on forever, but all good things must come to an end. Celestia eventually found out about our constant meetings, something she immediately put an end to.

And yet… this book exists.

For all the hate that Celestia has show towards me, why did she allow Starswirl to write and publish this book? What could have changed her mind about this… about me, perhaps?

I need to get to the bottom of this. It’s going to bug me otherwise.

My attention was taken from me as I heard a noise from the front door. I watched as Trixie entered the kitchen, two buckets of water hanging from her harness. She had a frown on her face and looked absolutely miserable. While the sight was heart wrenching, I knew it was for her own good. When I had first asked her to fetch the water she was able to carry back a two buckets, but with much difficulty. Now, however, she was doing so without any visible exhaustion.

As she set the buckets down nearby she unhooked herself from the harness. She turned to face me, her head held high. “Trixie has fetched the water like you requested.”

I smiled and nodded at her. “Indeed you have,” I glanced out the window to see a good portion of the day had flown by. Seems I got lost in my memories again. Returning to the tired mare I continued, “Tell you what Trixie, you’ve had a rough morning so why don’t you relax for the rest of the day.”

She looked surprised by the offer, but composed herself quickly enough. “Thank you very much, Robin. Trixie shall take a quick bath in the river.”

I couldn’t help but chuckle at that one. Not to long ago she would say the exact same thing, but with a hint of disgust in her voice.

As she made her way out the door I stopped her, “Oh, and Trixie? One more thing.”

She halted and turned around, looking at me in confusion.

“I suggest you also go to bed early as well. I think you’ve studied the language long enough and you’re ready for the next step. Get a good night’s rest because tomorrow you’re going to be practicing with magic.”

Her eyes lit up in excitement as she squealed in delight. She didn’t even respond, choosing instead to rush out the door and make way to the river. I laughed as I picked up the book once more, continuing from where I left off.

PreviousChapters Next