• Published 21st Jan 2015
  • 18,063 Views, 1,526 Comments

The Awakening of a Tactician - Mountainmanmad



A young man decides to attend a convention with his friends dressed as his favorite character from the Fire Emblem series. Next thing he knows he's in Equestria.

  • ...
72
 1,526
 18,063

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 9 - Neighborly Visits

I awoke to the beautiful sounds of nature, the calls of the morning birds greeting me. With a grunt I forced myself from my new bed. This bed, compared to the one I made so long ago, is simply amazing! I rubbed the sleep from my eyes as I made my way to the kitchen.

It’s been three days since Trixie had traveled to Canterlot to do a bit of shopping, and by ‘a bit’ I mean enough to furnish a decent sized home. After I told Trixie my past, I was worried she would decide to leave. I couldn’t have been more wrong about that. We had spent most of that night furnishing the home. I, for one, found it rather enjoyable to sort through the furniture. After all, it’s been 1500 years since I’ve been around.

Although the technology seems to have advanced, most of it revolved around magic. There was no electricity yet, but that could very possibly never come to pass. Despite the lack of electricity, that certainly didn’t hinder the ponies from inventing. They already came up with a stove and a refrigerator, albeit, both of them rather old fashioned. Still, at least it has a freezer. Now I have a place to store meat. Better let Trixie know beforehand though.

One of the best innovations to grace Equestria, however, was coffee. Turns out it had originated in the Zebrican lands some 800 years ago. Now, being a scholar, I’m used to staying up late and pulling all nighters. But, doing so without coffee had been a nightmare.

I walked into the kitchen and started the coffee machine with a flick of a switch. The contraption glowed dark blue for a moment before fading away. That done, I prepared the grinds, pouring them into a small dish fitted into the machine.

I stared dumbly as the coffee began to brew, dripping into a glass pot. Minutes felt like hours before the brew was finally finished. With far too much excitement I pulled out a mug and filled it with the black liquid. I breathed in the heavenly scent with a happy sigh.

Today would prove to be an interesting day for me. I had plans to visit Zecora today and see if I could befriend her. She was, in a sense, my neighbor afterall, and I would rather her hear my story first before the ponies got to her. I should leave a list of chores for Trixie before I go.

While Trixie has spent the past three days studying the ancient language, I’ve been restoring my stock of tomes. I’ve also written the three basic tomes needed to train Trixie. I plan on training her to use all three fields of anima magic, but she should start with a field she’s comfortable with. I’ll teach her Dark magic as well, but not for some time. At least not until she starts to act properly. Getting her to stop talking in third person should be my first goal. God that was starting to get annoying.

I walked over to the door leading to Trixie’s room and banged on it. “Trixie, time to get up, rise and shine!” I heard a muffled groan from behind the door. Guess that’s the only response I’m getting this morning.

“Trixie, I’m heading out for a few hours. There’s something I need to take care of. Continue studying and memorizing the language while I’m gone. And yes, that means you have to actually get out of bed.”

As I turned away from the door I heard something soft smack it. I rolled my eyes in exasperation. I would've thought she would expect this kind of treatment. The morning after our touching moment, she asked me where she could find the bathroom. I told her about the outhouse. Then she asked me where she could take a bath. I handed her a bar of soap and gave her directions to a small spring. She needs to learn to appreciate the small things in life.

I shrugged and downed the rest of my coffee. She would get used to this lifestyle eventually. For now though, I can deal with her less than positive attitude. Should this continue much longer, however, I’ll need to remind her where she could still be if not for me.

I placed the empty mug on the table and walked out the door.


I pushed my way through the forest, watching my step and keeping my senses sharp. I always did like the Everfree, but I’ll be damned if I go out as a snack to a manticore.

I cut through a particularly thick patch of brush. The Levin blade was out and seeing some action, even if it was only being used to smite the fauna of the forest. I looked at the oddly shaped sword, lightning running across its features. Its been some time since I’ve actually used the blade in battle. I need to practice my sword skills sometime this week. I can't afford to grow rusty.

I calmly cut my way through the forest, making way to my destination. When I finally found it, I smiled. Zecora’s hut was an interesting abode, the oddly shaped home giving off a mystique appeal to it. The windows were open to the elements and I could see wind chimes hanging from the rafters.

I needed to approach this situation carefully. From what I remember of the show, she seemed to be the kind to easily accept those who are different. Add into the fact that she herself was shun at one point should only help me in this case.

I casually walked up to the wooden door and knocked on it. I could see movement from outside so chances are she was home.

A few moments later and the door opened to reveal the striped zebra. She looked ready for a greeting, but it seemed to get lost somewhere half way up. her pupils dilated and her jaw snapped shut. Time to lay on the ol’ Robin charm.

I gave a bow and smiled warmly at the mare, careful not to show my canines. “Hello to you, Zebra of the forest. My name is Robin and, believe it or not, your neighbor in a way. I was hoping to acquaint myself with you to better relations.”

I certainly took her off guard with that one. She seemed less scared now and more curious. Good, I was worried she would be skittish like the ponies.

Zecora smiled nervously and returned the bow. “If better relations is what you seek, please, come inside and have a drink.”

I smiled and entered the home, making sure to duck my head on the way in. The inside of the hut was nicely decorated. Tribal masks covered a good portion of the walls. Shelves were spread around the hut, each filled with an assortment of jars. She certainly works with the forest’s fauna.

I could learn a thing or two from her. The Everfree holds many mysteries and my knowledge of it is not as advanced as I would like it to be. I bet there are many concoctions that could be used for healing. Maybe I should set up a small work area for potion making.

Zecora brought me out of my thoughts with a polite cough. I blinked and looked towards her. She was seated at a small table, a kettle of what I believed to be tea placed in the center of the table.

I gave her an apologetic smile as I made my way to the pony sized chair. I took a seat, squirming uncomfortably as I tried to find a center of balance. “I apologize for the lack of attention. I have the bad habit of losing myself in my thoughts.”

She gave a small laugh and poured us two cups of tea. “I noticed as such when you neglected to move,” She took a small sip of her tea before staring directly into my eyes, “However, there are things I wish to confirm, for the sake of my own curiosity, which I hope you can soothe.”

So she want’s to know more about me? It’s possible she’s already heard stories about me, but equally plausible she hasn’t. Living out here in the Everfree restricts access to word of mouth, after all. I think I’ll take a bit of a risk with her. I’ll tell her who I am, how old I am and what happened to me. With any luck she’ll simply have more questions she want’s answered and will refrain from chasing me from her home.

“Well, hopefully I can answer the questions you hold. As you already know, my name is Robin. I used to live in this forest long ago, but was chased from my home when the Princesses became aware of my existence,” And surprised expression has arrived right on time, “You see, I lived in this forest roughly 1500 years ago. Now, you might be asking yourself, how I could be that old? I was eventually cornered by Celestia and Luna and they doomed me to a future encased in stone. It was only recently until I was released.”

I took a sip of tea, savoring the taste and the aromatic scent. Zecora was staring into her own cup, contemplating my words. I needed to push a point though, “Now, the reasons for the princesses actions are, in my opinion, just.” Zecora’s head snapped upwards, eyes narrowed in suspicion. “While their actions may have been justified, it doesn’t change the fact that they acted rashly. When they discovered I was the cause of a specific… situation, they immediately jumped to conclusions.”

I sighed and rubbed my hand through my hair. “I never even got the chance to speak in my defense before I was labeled a monster. I’m sure you can relate to that in some way.” Zecora’s eyes softened at that revelation, seems she still remembers the days when she was shunned. I took another sip of my tea before placing the cup back on the table. “And that’s my history in a nutshell. I’ve returned to my home in the Everfree, hoping for a peaceful life. I don’t know how long you’ve lived in this forest, but my home is not far from your own, only half a mile in fact. Have you come across a log cabin roughly north east of here?”

Zecora remained silent for several minutes. She had returned her gaze to the tea, humming to herself in thought. When she eventually returned her attention to me, her face was expressionless. She stared into my eyes, seemingly looking for some sign of deception. When she eventually could find none, she wore a small smile. “I have indeed found the cabin of the woods to the north east. It surprises me that after all this time it has yet to decease.”

I nodded, a small smile playing across features. “I pumped the structure to the brim with my magic. I find my magic has the interesting side effect of preserving objects I fill it with.”

That would certainly explain why my books had survived after so long while the bookshelf itself was doomed.

“Anyway, I wanted to stop by and let you know of my existence. I don’t know if you’ve heard stories about me, but I wanted to give you a first… hoof account, from my side of the story. I’m just a man who’s had a sketchy history looking for a peaceful life in an evil forest.”

What the hell is wrong with me!? How is that supposed to put me in a good light!? I have a brilliant mind, able to uncover the mysteries of this world! Despite all that I-Can’t-Freakin-Talk to people! Or ponies, whatever!

I pinched the bridge of my nose in agitation. Zecora was giving me an amused, yet slightly worried, look. “Sorry, that didn’t come out right. I’m not used to having proper conversations really. Add to the fact that I can be rather blunt and it results in disaster. Usually for me.”

Zecora gave a small chuckle and placed her cup on the table. Her smile slowly became a frown of concentration. “You’ve told me much of your transgressions, yet, I have but one question. If you feel you are in the wrong, then why do you play this dance and song?”

I leaned back into the chair. “Are you referring to the fact that I am hiding?” When Zecora gave a nod I continued, “That’s because, for the most part, I don’t want to deal with Celestia and Luna. So, I’m going to try a different angle. I’m going to befriend the populace instead of making amends with the crown. It’ll be more difficult than trying to have a civil conversation with the Princesses, but I don’t really care. Time is on my side and I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t still a little angry at them for what they did.”

I was never good at simply ‘letting go’ when it came transgressions against me. And getting turned to stone for 1500 years sucks too much to simply forget.

I glanced out the window and noticed the morning shadows had vanished. I needed to get back to Trixie and make sure she’s actually being productive. I got up from the chair and made my way to the door. I opened it and glanced back at the confused Zebra. “Sorry to run, but I must be on my way. I have things that need to get done and little time to do it in. I hope we can speak again in the near future?”

Zecora gave me a warm smile and nodded. “I‘ll be looking forward to it, mage of the forest.”

With a grin and a wave I exited her home and shut the door behind me. Quickly locating the path I had used earlier, I began to make the trek home.


(The Next Day)
(3rd person)

Twilight led her party of friends through the Everfree, her horn glowed as she prepared to fight off any wildlife that got too curious. Fluttershy should be able to handle any agitated creature they come across, but Twilight didn’t want to take any chances. Not with the Everfree forest she didn’t.

The six mares had made a quick stop at Zecora shortly before, hoping she could give them any leads as to where to find Robin. it was certainly a surprise when Zecora had informed them that Robin had only visited her yesterday. She even gave the group directions as to where they could find Robin’s home.

That was roughly an hour ago now and they should be very close to their destination. Despite the cabin being only half a mile from Zecora’s hut, the Everfree made the trek longer than it should have. It might have taken even longer if Twilight hadn’t found a recently used path, a path that was already starting to be reclaimed by the forest.

All of them were wearing their respective Element of Harmony. Celestia made it clear they were to bring them and Twilight was not one to go against her teacher. Still, she didn’t think she would need them. After all, according to the book on Robin, he was a calm and clear headed individual.

Twilight glanced back at her friends. “Alright girls, Robin’s home should be just ahead. We need to be respectful while meeting with him.”

Rainbow snorted. “I still haven’t forgotten what he did back in Canterlot. I keep telling you Twilight, that guy is bad news!”

Twilight ground her teeth in frustration. “And I keep telling you that he is a respectful mage! I’m sure there is a logical reason for what he did back in Canterlot.”

Rainbow rolled her eyes but didn’t comment. The remainder of the trek was done so in silence. Pinkie hopped to the front of the line, squinting through the heavy brambles. “Hey, I think I can see him!”

The rest followed her gaze. They saw little else but bushes, trees and thorns. Twilight rolled her eyes and cut through the foliage… to reveal a sturdy cabin. Located near the front of the home sat a bipedal figure in a outdoors chair. He was staring right at them.

Twilight quickly trotted forward to stand before the mage, her friends close behind. Robin watched them impassively, his fingers toying with a green book.


(1st person)

I opened the door to my home and stepped outside, a journal under my arm and a bottle of ink in my hand. I had some interesting theories I wanted to document today regarding the Everfree forest. When I made my way home yesterday I noticed that in a short amount of time the forest tried to reclaim the path I made. I had hoped that I could create a more permanent path between my home and Zecora’s, but that may not be an option. Perhaps I coul-

I felt a sudden vibration from within my cloak. That was a sign that someone had written to me using my token!

With barely restrained excitement I pulled out the book and opened it. I quickly found the short passage that was written and my excitement all but completely died away.

Dear Diary,
Today, I killed a man.
Put a gun against his head, pulled the trigger, and now he's dead.
-Pecila

Either this Pecila has a dark sense of humor or they’re an idiot that has mistaken my token for a mere diary.

I dipped my quill into the ink bottle and sketched out a reply, the script flowing elegantly after my years of practice writing with the Ancient Language.

I don’t know who you are, but know this. You are not writing in a mere book. This is my token, a tome which can be used to contact me throughout the multiverse. I’m willing to aid those who need my help. However, considering your entry, I question your ethics. If you have such little qualms regarding the murder of innocents or the unjust, then refrain from contacting me further.

-Robin

With a heavy sigh I closed the tome and placed it back within my robe. What a waste of time and ink. The first contact I receive and the writer is of questionable sanity. I was about to retrieve the journal when I heard voices coming from the forest. Quickly selecting Arcwind, I read over the text before placing it in my lap.

The voices grew ever closer until I could finally see them, their coats blending horribly with the backdrop of the forest.

well, it certainly took them long enough. I’m surprised Celestia isn’t here though. If I was an evil man, this would be the perfect chance to destroy the only known weapon capable of harming me.

I watched as Twilight walked up to me, a smile on her face. I took a quick look at her friends, noticing most of them were watching me with unease. I say most because the pink one looked ready to burst from excitement.

I coughed, half of them flinched. “To what do I owe this surprise visit?”

Twilight grinned and gave a small bow, causing me raise my eyebrow in interest. “It is an honor to meet you Robin. I’ve heard much about you from Celestia and I’ve been wanting to meet with you for some time now.”

I responded only with silence, thinking about what she said. Has Celestia been giving me praise? I honestly didn’t expect that, all things considering. I only broke out of my thoughts when Twilight began to shift nervously under my silent stare.

“Has Celestia truly put me in such a positive light recently?” I began carefully.

Rainbow Dash decided to contribute to the conversation. “Hay no! She told us you’re a villain and that you’ve harmed ponies in the past. She said you even made some freaky zombies!”

Ah, that’s better.

I shifted my eyes to the cyan mare. “I have only harmed in self defense, something Celestia seemed to have left out.”

Rarity stepped forward. “And… what about the zombies?”

I shrugged. “Went to a graveyard and brought a young mare back to life… kind of. I honestly don’t see what the big deal is.”

Each of them looked at me with disgust, but none more so than Applejack. “That mare had ah family! Ya’ll can’t just defile somepony like that!”

I rolled my eyes. “She was already dead and buried six feet under. I filled the hole almost immediately so It’s possible they never noticed. I used that magic to further my research and possibly find a way to help others.”

Applejack glared at me, her body shaking in rage. I returned her glare with a stone face, refusing to back down in the debate. Yes, what I did was immoral. No, I don’t really care what others think. Still, I probably could have handled that situation better. Applejack’s face was redder than her crispest apple and looked ready to attack me.

She never got the chance as the front door swung open. “Robin, Trixie was wondering how… “

Trixie stood in the front door, utterly speechless. The six mares were doing little better. Trixie’s surprise quickly morphed into rage as her eyes settled on Twilight.

“You!”

“The hay are you doing here!?”

“Trixie!?”

“Twilight Sparkle!”

“Pinkie!”

Oh dear God, just strike me down and get it over with.

Trixie took a step forward, her horn glowing. Twilight met her pace, her own horn glowing just as fiercely. “Trixie,” Twilight began slowly, “I don’t know what you’re doing here, but you need to leave.”

Trixie smirked at the lavender mare. “Why would Trixie leave? After all, she is the apprentice of the great and powerful Robin!”

kiss-ass

I gave Trixie a bored look, but didn’t comment. She was too enthralled with Twilight's surprise to notice me.

Twilight stuttered out a response, “B-But, A-Apprentice!?” She looked to me for confirmation which I gave her with a nod. I watched with amusement as her hair started to split. Seems someone is a little jealous!

I wasn’t the only one who noticed Twilight's appearance. “What’s the matter Twilight? Upset that Trixie has a teacher just as powerful as the princess?”

Time to put an end to this. As amusing as this is, I want to get back to my research. “Trixie, did you need something from me?”

Trixie smiled at me. “Yes, Trixie was wondering when she would get to use magic!”

I rolled my eyes before responding, “Did you master the language yet?”

“um… no?”

“Did you finish your chores for the day?”

I heard a few of the girls snicker at that comment, but I ignored them. Trixie was red in the face from embarrassment. She answered my question with a shake of her head.

I shrugged. “You can’t learn my magic until you study the language. Also, since this house is your home too for now, you’re expected to help maintain it. We need more fresh water from the river, I believe you know where the buckets are.”

Trixie slumped her shoulders and made her way towards the back of house where I kept the tools. She made sure to give the Elements of Harmony one final glare before she left.

The elements were staring at me with a mixture of surprise and amusement. Rainbow Dash was laughing outright at the retreating form of Trixie.

“Haha, that’ll teach you, you stupid wh-”

I immediately grabbed Rainbow with my magic and forced her mouth closed. I gave her a hard glare which she returned.

“I won’t tolerate someone insulting my student while I’m around. I suggest you think very carefully about what you say next time.”

I released her from my grasp, but she didn’t respond, only continued to glare at me.

Twilight looked slightly ashamed of her friend's behavior and tried to ignore the fact that I just manhandled Dash with my magic. Her horn lit up and she levitated a wrapped book from her saddle, floating it over to me. “This is for you, Robin. I’m sorry for bothering you and I thank you for your time. I’ll come back again sometime for another conversation, if that’s alright.”

I took the book and rested it on my lap. “Thank you, Twilight. If it’s a book from you, I’m sure It’ll be an interesting read. I’ll also look forward to our next conversation, but please, come alone.”

She nodded and began to lead the group of mares back towards Ponyville. They made it halfway through the clearing before the pink demon gasped and rushed back towards me. She reached into her hair, pulled out a box much too big to fit in her mane, and handed it to me. “Here you go Robin, I made this for you! I plan on giving you an awesome super duper party when you come to Ponyville, but I don’t know when that is. Sooo~ I made you this in the meantime!”

I hesitantly accepted the large box. “Um… thank you Pinkie, that’s very thoughtful of you.”

Pinkie Pie’s smile seemed to stretch past her face as she made her way back towards her friends. Within moments they disappeared, swallowed by the darkness of the forest.

With a tired sigh I carried the book and large box inside, setting them on the table. Deciding to get it over with now I undid the ribbon to the large pink box. It opened and inside I found… a seed cake. A single layered, sunflower seed cake. I noticed a small card placed upon the center of the questionable confectionery and read the text imprinted upon it.

“Hope you enjoy the cake Mr. Bird-Man. Love, Pinkie Pie.”

I stared at the card for a few minutes in irritation before placing it on the table. I moved next to the wrapped book. Quickly tearing the wrapping away I was confronted with the title of the small book. A title that honestly surprised me more than Pinkie’s antics.

The Mage of the Everfree: Tactician
Written by StarSwirl the Bearded

Author's Note:

Entry made by Pecila in Dragon209816's story Aura Blades.

P.s. Zecora was harder than I thought it was going to be.
P.P.s I suck at writing Applejack

PreviousChapters Next