• Published 21st Jan 2015
  • 18,133 Views, 1,526 Comments

The Awakening of a Tactician - Mountainmanmad



A young man decides to attend a convention with his friends dressed as his favorite character from the Fire Emblem series. Next thing he knows he's in Equestria.

  • ...
72
 1,526
 18,133

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 5 - A Second Chance

I have lived in this forest for five years and have memorized the directions of my safe points. Why the hell can’t I find it!?

I’ve been searching for my haven for the past half hour and have had little luck in finding it. Since leaving my home I’ve traveled a path that had long since been retaken by the forest. Even so, after travelling it once more, I found myself remembering landmarks that have never succumed to time. It’s like riding a bike, once you learn, you never forget.

The problem now is that I can’t seem to recall the precise location to the entrance of the hideout. I sighed as I gathered my natural magic; I had prepared for something like this. I scolded myself as I began to search for the magical signal to my haven. I was wasting time, magic, and-

well that explains a lot...

The moment I searched the area with my magic I realized the problem. There was an illusion placed over the general area, a rather powerful one at that. I sighed once more as I put up my mental barriers, dispelling any hold the magic had upon me. The moment the barrier went up I immediately remembered the location of the entrance.

I learned long ago to strengthen my mind. Luna had once attempted to invade my mind, intending to discover my intentions in this world. Of course, I didn’t know that at the time.

After I had won the battle of wills between me and Luna, I found myself drained, tired and close to unconsciousness. Now, originally being a scholar, I took affront to her attempt to steal my knowledge. After all, scientia potentia est.

Since then I practiced strengthening my mind. Let me give you a representation of how secure my barriers are. Imagine for a moment that my brain is a book. That book has a magical lock. That locked book is surrounded on all sides by solid steel. That solid steel enclosure is placed in the middle of a mine field. You’re on the edge of the field and all you have is a metal spoon. You have, at most, ten seconds before I take notice of your presence. Good luck.

I looked down at the entrance to my second home, and I was not happy with what I found. This particular haven is actually an underground cavern. It was a simple matter of clearing out some more space and adding a manhole as an entrance. The problem now was that the wooden door looked recently used. I gripped the handle and opened the door, descending into the cavern, Archwind nestled under my arm.

What I found only confirmed my suspicions. The faint glow of a candle illuminated a small portion of the cave, the ground littered with a few personal belongings and a sleeping bag that wasn’t mine. What really interested me, however, was the light blue mare that was standing near the candle, her body shaking uncontrollably.

“W-Who dares intrude upon the l-lair of the G-Great and P-Powerful Trixie!”

I criticise the interloper a moment longer before I pinch the bridge of my nose in frustration.

I’m getting too old for this…

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(3rd Person)

Trixie was not having a good day. In fact, she hasn’t had that well of a month. She was homeless, bitless, hungry and scared. Ever since she was humiliated by Twilight Sparkle, she had been forced to live in the Everfree, scavenging for food and trying to survive. Most of her possessions were gone, only her cape, hat and a small supply of food had survived the encounter with the Ursa Minor.

Her only saving grace was when she accidently stumbled upon this ancient home. Some higher deity must have pitied her enough when she tripped over the latch. That was two weeks ago, and since then she has been slowly getting her act together. She had plans, plans to take down that worthless lavender mare. Some of the tools and books in the cave would fetch a good price if sold to the right pony.

She spent many nights studying the strange text, attempting to decipher the language. She could sense the power contained within them, but despite her best attempts, however, she could not activate the magic. It was during her scheduled studies that she sensed the presence of a creature above her. She lit up her horn and cast her illusion spell over the area. She smiled as she felt the magic take hold of the unknown being.

The next half hour was spent keeping the spell around. Trixie had grown annoyed at this point, having expected the animal to simply wander off in boredom. It was almost as if…

Trixie's eyes widened in horror as she felt her powerful illusion be destroyed, the backlash causing her to sway on her haunches. She listened as the entrance to her home was opened, the sound of… something coming her way. She stood proudly, ready to fend off whatever beast had dared to disturb her.

Of course, she never expected to be confronted with a furless, cloaked biped. Trixie was frightened of the creature, not by its appearance, but because it had shrugged off her illusion spell so easily. She had spent painstaking years perfecting her abilities and for it to be ignored… Her nerves had been spread thin for a while now and this was the last push to throw her off the ledge… almost.

Trixie was a proud mare, one who saw herself above others. She was a master of magic (self proclaimed) and deserved the respect of other ponies. She would fight this monster and show the world just how great Trixie really is!

“W-Who dares intrude upon the l-lair of the G-Great and P-Powerful Trixie!” she stuttered.

She watched curiously as the beast pinched what appeared to be its nose. What happened next almost dropped Trixie’s jaw to the floor; it spoke.

“Actually, it’s not a lair, it’s a study. Furthermore, you’re the one who’s intruding.”

With that, the creature strode past Trixie and towards the shelves of books. Trixie stared at the back of the sentient being, her brain trying to reboot. When it was fully operational once more she realized she had just been blown off by this creature!

“If so, then you had abandoned it some time ago! This cave now belongs to Trixie!” She shouted at the back of the biped.

The creature didn’t even turn to acknowledge her as it spoke, “That’s fine, I just need to collect my stuff before I leave. It’s most likely I won’t be coming back, so feel free to make yourself at home.”

Trixie’s eye twitched violently as she detected the condescending tone in his voice. She had gone through too much to simply be cast aside as if she wasn’t worth somepony’s time.

“Trixie demands you face her when she speaks to you! Just who do you think you are!?”

The biped rolled his eyes and turned to face the disgruntled mare. “My name is Robin.”

Trixie sneered at him, “Well Robin, Trixie hasn’t heard or seen a creature such as yourself. As for me, I am the Great and Powerful Trixie, master of illusions and pleaser of the crowds!” She threw her hooves into the air, conjuring miniature fireworks in an attempt to impress him.

Robin features never once changed. “You’re living in a cave in one of the most dangerous, if not the dangerous place in Equestria. You look like you haven’t eaten a proper meal in weeks and, quite frankly, you reek.”

A vein appeared on Trixie’s forehead. “Trixie doesn’t need to be patronized by a creature of low standards. At least Trixie has made a name for herself!”

Robin considered giving the eccentric mare more information. Needless to say she interested him. She seemed to hold a great amount of power in her body. She simply didn’t know how to fine tune it. Robin gave the mare a stern look.

“I go by another name, one that you may have heard of.”

“Yes, yes, let’s hear this other name of yours,” Trixie said dismissively.

“My name is Tactician, mage of the Everfree and master of the arcane.” He emphasized this with a strong gust of wind, Robin’s cloak billowing behind him.

Trixie’s jaw made love to the ground. She, like any (successful) practitioner of magic, had heard about the tales of Tactician. He was supposed to be a mage who used powerful magic, on par with the great Star Swirl the Bearded. It was also said that he was a creature of unknown origin. A creature that was… bipedal…

Trixie’s eyes dilated and her ears folded to the back of her head. Looking closely she noticed Robin’s book was glowing green and his eyes had a purple tint to them. Standing before her was a legend, one that she had always believed to be a myth. She was outclassed and she knew it (despite what she might tell you later). She needed to approach this delicte situation with all the dignity and grace of a grown mare.

“H-H-How old are you?”

Trixie felt a part of her die inside.

Robin, on his part, seemed more amused than angry. “I am 1,527 years old.”

“B-But how are you still alive?” Trixie, stop insinuating that the very dangerous and very powerful biped is old!

Robin raised an eyebrow. “That is a story for a later date, what I want to know is why you’re hiding out in my shelter.”

Trixie’s face fell and a growl formed in her throat, the legend in front of her forgotten as she lost herself in her memories. “Trixie is here because of that stupid no good Twilight Sparkle! It’s all her fault that Trixie no longer has the respect she deserves! Trixie will get her revenge one day! Trixie will become much more powerful than that lavender whorse!”

Robin forced his face to remain neutral, trying not to laugh at the play on word for whore. “While I can understand your desire to become stronger, revenge should not be the reason behind it. Besides, it’ll be hard to defeat the protege of Princess Celestia.”

Trixie’s eye twitched. “Sh-She was trained by Princess Celestia herself!?”

Trixie rolled that information around in her mind before she fell to the floor, her legs collapsing underneath her. Tears started to form at the corners of her eyes. For the first time, Trixie didn’t know what to do. If Twilight Sparkle was truly the protege of the princess, then she may not be able to stand up to her.

Robin watched the tear filled mare with mixed emotions. One on hand, he was happy to see that ego of hers get taken down on notch. On the other… he felt he could relate to her. Once, he too was lost and alone in a world that shunned him. Back then he had no one to confide in, learning from his own mistakes. Maybe…

I’m going to regret this, aren’t I?

“Trixie…”

The blue mare glanced up at the mage

“... What will you do now? What plans do you have for the future?”

Trixie looked taken aback by the question, but she quickly fell back into her depression. “Trixie does not know. Trixie has no where to go…”

“Trixie… how would you like to become my apprentice?”

The silence was deafening as Trixie gazed up at the man, her eyes wider than they had any right to be.

“Y-Your apprentice?”

Robin nodded. “I'll tell you now, my magic is focused mainly around combat. I’ve adjusted it over the years, but it takes concentration and skill. Let me become your master and I’ll teach you a branch of magic that no other creature besides myself can use. If you can master both my magic and unicorn magic, you will easily surpass Twilight Sparkle, perhaps even Celestia herself.”

Trixie soaked it all in, listening to the possibilities presented before her. She could become the most powerful unicorn in Equestria, no, the entire world! There was just one thing she didn’t understand.

“Why are you helping Trixie…?”

Robin smiled sadly at her. “I was once in the same situation you are. I was alone, lost and scared. Through studying and perseverance I had managed to make a name for myself. Also,” he chuckled, “Like your rivalry with Twilight, I have one with Celestia.”

Trixie thought about what he said. He seemed genuine, no sense of malice or ambition. Just a want to help a creature down on its luck. Trixie was given the opportunity of a lifetime. She would be taught by a legend, a master of an unexplored field of magic.

Trixie met the mage’s eyes, her orbs once filled with despair, now filled with a sense of hope.

“Trixie will happily accept your invitation of apprenticeship… Master Robin.”

PreviousChapters Next