• Published 22nd Jan 2015
  • 443 Views, 0 Comments

Trapped Behind the Screen - Electronic Pony



Jeffrey Noman had always wanted to travel to Equestria. But he'd never thought he'd get to.

  • ...
 0
 443

Chapter 2

After Jeffrey told his story, he gave his hosts time to process all this new information.

"And to think that all this time, we had never known technology like this existed," Twilight commented on Jeffrey's explanation of his new computer.

"You and me both," he responded. "I would have never guessed that something with that ability existed. What could people have made with that kind of power?"

"Who CARES how they did it? We've got a new guest in out midst! You know what that calls for? A PAR-".

Jeffrey cut Pinkie Pie off before she could finish. "Thanks, Pinkie, but I'm not really in the mood right now," he said quickly.

"Ohhhh, I see," Pinkie said suspiciously. "Not in the mood huh...?" She sat down and looked thoughtfully at nothing.

Jeffrey ignored this, shook his head, and rubbed his temples. "There's still one thing I don't understand," he started. "What goes on here? You haven't really told me about your world. What's with the rectangles, the acting, the...well...everything!"

"Right, I should probably explain that as well," Twilight said. "From your story, you're a pretty good fan of our show, right?"

"Right," Jeffrey responded.

"So you know that it has a bunch of big productions and different kinds of stunts and events and things like that, right?"

"Uh-huh."

"Well, the thing is, we don't have good enough technology to be able to hold all that film yet. We have to get rid of it about a week after we film it because we need to use the cameras for something else. When an episode requests to be seen, we set up and film out, and if any interruptions happen the first time, we go live. We're often scrambling for time, and we've been late on a few scenes here and there."

"What happens then? Don't people notice when there's just a blank landscape?"

"We send up a 'failed internet connection' message. Works every time."

Jeffrey knocked himself on the forehead. "To think that all this time, I never knew you knew we were here. I never even knew you were real."

"Well we'd hoped no one ever would have," Rainbow Dash said. "But now, that's not gonna work out so well..." she trailed off.

"What about the rectangles?" he asked next.

"That's the viewer. We get a screen like that whenever we have to go live," Twilight explained.

"And why is it you're doing all this?" Jeffrey asked.

"After the horror of Newborn Cuties, the franchise was failing. Our nation was in ruins. HASBRO offered to clean us up and pay us monthly if we did the show in return."

"And the 'bronies'? How long have you known about us?" Jeffrey asked next.

"I was wondering when you'd ask," Twilight answered with a chuckle. "Come over here, let me show you something."

Twilight started to walk towards one of her bookshelves. "Spike! Bring me the key, will you?" she called.

"Already got it!" he yelled as he ran towards her.

"Thank you," she said, and proceeded to take the key, as well as one of the books in the bookshelves, up with her magic. Floating the book out of the way, she placed the key in the space where the book had been. A soft *click*, then the bookshelf moved back, and to the side to reveal a small room with a single desk, a chair, and a small computer. She hopped onto the chair, and booted up the computer. Once it was ready, she pulled up a tab.

"We've got complete access to the internet from here," she continued. "BronyCon, Equestria Daily, Legends of Equestria, we know all about it. Only four years, and you've already got all this stuff? I've got to say, that's pretty impressive."

"Amazing," Jeffrey thought out loud. "Simply...amazing!"

"It's not as glamorous as you seem to be thinkin'," Applejack commented, "but it gets the bills paid."

Jeffrey trotted back into the main library, with the other ponies following behind him. "Thank you all for believing me, and letting me explain," he said, "but I would really like to get home. Is there any way to get back?"

"That's where the problem comes in," Twilight said. "You see, the human portal we have goes to a different kind of human world. I mean, did you ever see a person with purple skin? Didn't think so."

"What if we could find a way back through where you came?" Rainbow Dash suggested. "Maybe if we jammed you back into that tree, you'd zap right back home!"

"Pardon my bluntness, Rainbow, but I don't think that's exactly how trees work," Rarity replied.

"No, no, she may be on to something," Twilight said thoughtfully. "What if we could get a message through to the human world, and get someone to go to your house and get your computer running again? Perhaps a portal would open up into that tree!"

"But why would it go straight to that tree? I ain't ever seen anything significant 'bout it," Applejack said.

"Well, that's where the episode was when I was watching it," Jeffrey said, remembering back to when he got transported. "It must open up to somewhere on the scene it's showing."

Twilight was already sketching a plan out. "If we can get a message to someone on the other side to watch an episode, say, in my library, on Jeffrey's computer, we should be able to get him back!"

Rainbow Dash practically flew into Twilight's face and yelled, "But that risks...," she paused and glanced at Jeffrey,"...them finding out about us!"

"We'll have to take that risk, Rainbow," Twilight responded calmly. "We can't make Jeffrey stay here forever!"

"Yeah, I guess..." Rainbow conceded, and flew back to her spot.

"So what're we waiting for?" Let's get this stalli--er--man back home!" Pinkie yelled.

"We'll have to get a request for an episode first. One should come in soon," Twilight said to calm her down. "For now, why not make yourself at home?"

But there wasn't any time. After Twilight had finished speaking, they heard the royal ceremonial song being played from outside.

"The princesses?" Twilight said. "What could they be doing here? Maybe they knew you were coming?"

With no time to answer this question, they rushed outside to see the royal chariot just touching down from it's journey. The carriage was radiant and shimmered in the sunlight, but it's occupants did not look as bright.

"Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, what are you doing here?" Twilight greeted them rather informally.

"I'm afraid we are here on behalf of your guest," the elder sister replied. "His arrival has been noted and monitored by the heads of HASBRO since he arrived. We know about your plan, and I have been given order not to let him leave."

"What?!" Twilight cried out in dismay. "But this isn't where he belongs!"

"I'm sorry, but I cannot disobey orders," she said.

"We can't let him stay here! Please princess, can't you do something?" Twilight yelled.

"We have no other choice. We mustn't let him leave."

"Then...then we'll get him home! We have to! Right, girls?"

"Yeah!" "Why of course!"

"You bet yer bottom dollar!" "We can have a REBELLION party!"

"Um, I guess so..."

"Then I'm afraid I have no choice," Celestia boomed. She spread her full wingspan, and reared up menacingly. "Twilight Sparkle, I hereby banish you and your friends to Tartarus!"

Frozen with shock and terror, they stood motionless. Princess Celestia's horn began to glow bright, and a circle engulfed Jeffrey and his new friends.

"Sister, wait!" Luna cried out. Running toward them, she flung a medium sized ball into the circle with them. Celestia smiled, nodded, and...

...winked at them?

It was too late to tell. The light consumed them, and they vanished from the grounds of Ponyville.

-------------------

Confusion was becoming a familiar feeling for Jeffrey.

"Ooooog," he groaned. "Where...where are we?"

He looked around. Dark caves surrounded them. They were in what was probably the only open clearing for miles. Chains were strapped around his legs, preventing him from moving.

Celestia had truly done it. Jeffrey and his new friends were trapped in the pits of Tartarus.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment