• Published 7th Dec 2015
  • 1,384 Views, 31 Comments

Exploring Equestria - A_guy_from_Earth



A story about adventures of alien researchers in Equestria.

  • ...
2
 31
 1,384

3. Setting Up


A spark, then one more, then lightning, and, after all of this – one huge flash. Transspatial channel opened and in a moment later collapsed. Interstellar jump was finished. “Kelkerdez-Unaad” arrived at its destination.

She appeared on the orbit of the planet, about two hundred thousand kilometers away from the surface. The planet was perfectly visible from portholes. Everything was just like Kepo described: clear air, whimsical clouds which formed ridges and eddies, azure of the oceans, green of the continents – there was surprisingly small amount of gray, brown, yellow, orange and red spots on the surface, all land seemed to be covered with forests and meadows. It was a magnificent sight.

But there were no time for admiration – ship’s crew and research teams had to work. So right after the emergence starship’s ASI informed everyone on board that it’s possible to start the launch of module vessels. Soon all researchers with their personal luggage were in the ship’s hangars, where sixteen crafts of smaller class were already prepared. Robots quickly finished the loading, scientists boarded, and soon all hatches and locks were closed. Huge gates of “Kelkerdez-Unaad” hangars opened. Researchers appointed as pilots started the engines of small vessels, and soon teams’ ships were off the floor. Starship crew and ASIs wished them good luck, researchers gave farewell signal, and pilots slowly pulled the steering wheels to themselves. Soon smaller vessels left the hangars. Gates closed. And researchers’ ships began to head to the regions that were their aims. “Kelkerdez-Unaad” remained in the orbit to coordinate the work of Teams and to implement detail monitoring and scanning.

Team One, having examined the survey data, after short discussion during the flight decided to stop at the central part of their area of interest and explore adjacent territories gradually.

In an hour they reached the necessary place.





The doors opened, and bearers of Elements of generosity, laughter, honesty, loyalty and kindness entered the main hall of new Ponyville castle.

“Oh, girls, I’m so glad that you’ve come!” exclaimed Twilight.
“No problem, sugarcube,” smiled Applejack. “Ya know that ya can always rely on us!”
“Yeah!” confirmed Rainbow Dash. “So what’s the matter?”
“Well, I called you because princess Celestia sent us another task this morning,” said Twilight.
“Oh, what’s it about? What it’s about?” exclaimed always eager Pinkie Pie.
“Princess just asks us to attend one reception that will happen in Canterlot Castle in six days,” Spike briefly retold the letter.
“And that’s all?” surprised Rainbow Dash.
“Yep,” alicorn and her assistant nodded.
“So ya just inform us?” said Applejack.

Twilight gave another nod.

“Well, it’s an honor that her highness addresses us and asks to do such things, but, I must say, that now it happens rather often, and not rarely these asks are minor,” noticed Rarity.
“Agree,” quietly said Fluttershy.
“Well, if it’s the only thing, we’ll do it, we visit this reception,” shrugged Rainbow Dash.
“Yeah,” confirmed other ponies.
“Thank you,” answered Twilight. “And… excuse me, but there is one more thing.”
“Yes?”
“Could you, girls, um…” she nervously and confusedly smiled, “give me a helping hoof?”

All her friends groaned.

“Again?” exclaimed Rainbow Dash.
“Aawww, Twilight!” Pinkie Pie dulled.
“I’m sorry, very sorry,” Twilight apologized. “But it takes me whole hour to clean the castle up, though I use magic! Please, help me, one more time!”
“Darling, if you have such problem, them why don’t you just transfer some servants and guards from Canterlot?” wondered Rarity.
“Or from Crystal Empire?” added Fluttershy.
“Well… You see… Ehm…” alicorn faltered.
“Twah, Ah know that ya like to be independent,” Applejack began. “But if ya have troubles with keepin’ the castle up, ya should quit this yer habit to solve this problem!”
“Yeah, make it to stop call other for help!” added Rainbow Dash.
“I know, girls, I know,” sighed Twilight. “But the procedure of transfer is quite difficult and complicated, and it may take a month at least. And we also have to agree about the salary.”
“Well, if you can’t get helpers from other princesses, then why don’t you find your own ones?” suggested Pinkie Pie.
“What?” exclaimed Applejack and Rarity.
“Seriously?” Rainbow Dash raised her eyebrow. “You just suggest Twilight to put an ad on hiring?”
“If it’s so hard to transfer, then why not?” answered Pinkie Pie.
“Listen, Pinkie, Ah don’t think that it’s the suitable variant,” said Applejack.
“Yes,” Rarity nodded. “In Canterlot and Crystal Empire all employees are professionals. You can’t just find ones from streets for such responsible job!”
“It may be unsafe,” added Fluttershy.
“Well, if you want to solve this problem now, then what else can you offer, smarty pants?” asked Pinkie in turn.

Her friends didn’t find anything to object.

“Well…” spelled Twilight. “I have to do something or I’ll continue to spend hours on cleaning and other things or continue irritate you with my asks.”
“So you’ll just give an ad?” surprised Rainbow Dash.
“Pinkie is right. There is no other suitable variants for now. I will put ad in town, or, maybe, in several towns and cities across whole Equestria and hire some ponies for temporary job and at the same try to agree with princesses Celestia and Luna about the transfer.”
“Temporary job?” surprised Fluttershy.
“Yes. Rarity’s right: it’ll be better to have servants and guards from Canterlot or Crystal Empire.”
“Pardon me, but Ah wonder how will ya pay those folks?” wondered Applejack.
“Well, every month I receive an allowance from Canterlot. It’s quite big, and I’m don’t spend too much money, so, I think, I will be able to provide salary for few ones.”
“If so, then… why not?”
“It can be the way,” said Rarity.
“So, let’s make an ad then!” exclaimed Pinkie Pie.
“And do you know how to make them right?” asked Fluttershy.
“Um… No. I’ve never put any ads in papers.”
“And me too…” spelled Twilight.
“And what now?”
“Gimme a second!” Rainbow Dash raised her hoof, then soared up and flew out from the hall through the nearest window. In a minute she returned. With a small newspaper in her mouth.
“Here!” she said, having put the paper on the table that was in the center of the hall.
“Ponyville list of free ads?” surprised Twilight, having took the newspaper with her magic.
“If you need to make an ad, it’s the best example,” answered pegasus.
“Well…”
“You know, she’s actually right,” admitted Spike. “It’s the best variant in Ponyville.”
“If you say so, okay then…” Twilight said. “Well, it’s decided. Spike!”
“Yes?” little dragon came closer to alicorn.
“Get ready!”

Spike gave a nod and took a sheet of paper and a quill. Twilight smiled and said:

“Write down…”





They stopped not far from one small town. Although the place was only in three miles from the settlement borders, it was already the area of wildlife: no lonely huts around, only vast meadow that almost always was empty on one side and a quite deep and spooky forest on the other. There was a trail on opposite side of the meadow, but because of the hills even without any camouflage their two-hundred-and-fifty-meter long ship, when she will land, won’t be visible from it. But locals can fly, so shield is still necessary. And not one – they needed additional barriers to avoid the influence of energies that filled whole this place.

It was a perfect place to start the expedition: the city that, according to its architecture and intensity of life, was the capital appeared to be quite near, and the area around this forest seemed to be untouched or abandoned. They can emerge into local culture in days and then start to get data – the capital in almost all the cases is the place where such possibility is the simplest. But such step would be too dashing – for the first time they needed quieter place, like this town. There was a castle in it too, but the town didn’t seem to be other governing center – there were no other large administrative buildings in it – so researchers thought that it was a summer residence of local monarchs. Location in the midst of beautiful landscape confirmed that guessing.

But before they start the exploration itself, they need avatars. And to make them they need to take a local, or some locals. So Team One stopped their ship in a mile from the surface – at that height only rare local creatures flew – she hovered, and researchers moved from the bridge to the laboratory, large room that occupied almost half of the entire volume of the ship and where all necessary equipment was, sat near the main terminal and switched scanners on. In such empty place it was unlikely that they’d meet a local near. But at that evening they got lucky.

“We detected an one!” exclaimed Kor and Max, keeping to look at screens.
“Already?” surprised Karin.
“Where is… this one?” asked Edez.
“In four milligrads* to the south-east of us,” answered Kor.
“And it’s him,” added Max.
“He’s alone?” wondered Oma.
“Absolutely. He’s an only local in seven milligrads from us.”
“And what he’s doing?” asked Affi, looking at data from scans. Every vessel of the Institute had anti-telepathic barrier, so no one could break through, but also no one could perceive the surroundings.
“Just pulls a cart. What’s in the cart – the scan can’t tell,” said senior biologist.
“Okay…”
“Is he a suitable candidate?” asked senior planetologist.
“More than,” grinned Max.
“How long the procedure will take?”
“Well, the scanning will take about one and a half supramoment, the analysis – about thirty or so. And speaking about the creation of avatars, it’ll probably take standard term.”
“Then do it.”

Biologist gave a nod in response and together with officer and technician activated the transportation beam. A little part of ship’s shield disappeared, immediately after this the emitter appeared from the formed spot and in a moment it flashed. Focused beam of light pierced the air and hit the local. Transportation didn’t take even a second. Harness of the cart fell down.

Soon the taken, in unconscious state, materialized in special camera in one of the corners of the lab, near the terminal. Researchers stood up and approached it. And when they saw the local, they got surprised like never before in their lives: this creature looked almost like ordinary terran pony! Except unnatural red color of the coat, quite big eyes and strange tattoo-like sign of half of a fruit on both flanks the local was identical to well-known to every terran dwarf horses: four limbs, hooves, mane and tail. And even that collar-like thing that was used in ancient times. Team One was shocked.

“Oh my…” whispered Bluve.
“No way…” whispered Karin.
“Hit me somebody, please,” said Sheim.

A thud came. Planetologist almost fell.

“Hey!” he shouted.
“You asked for this,” answered Zet’rar with indifferent face.
“Eh, forget it…”
“Hm… They look nice,” said Oma, looking at the taken.
“Agree,” nodded Affi. “Both externally and mentally.”
“What do you see?” wondered other researchers.
“Well,” telepathist began. “I see simple, industrious, kind lad who loves his family and his job.”
“Seems that he’s really good guy,” said Zet’rar.
“He is.”

Some researchers after this smiled. And Edez, meanwhile, having taken a thought, decided to do one thing. He came closer to the camera and put his hand in it. Subfield barriers, source of biological protection, bended and soon enveloped his palm like a glow. When it happened, curator grabbed the stallion by the shoulders and lifted him.

“You know, they are little,” he said, weighing the pony.
“They aren’t little. It’s your huge paws,” grinned Affi.

Edez snorted in response, put the stallion back of the floor of camera and removed his hand. After this a short pause came.

“Well, if there are no other special interests,” Max with Bluve broke the silence, “then may we start the particle scan?”

Curators looked at them and said: “Do it.” Biologist nodded and activated the machine.

Eight hatches on the floor near the camera opened and robotic scanners appeared from them. Emitters, receivers and other antennas began to hum, and soon the drafting of complete matter-energy-information scheme of the taken was started. Manipulators shifted, twisted, twitched, stirred, swayed… It was a dance aimed to register every particle. All of them took part in it, except the biggest one that was directed at stallion’s head – it made the most important part, the mind scan.

The robot dance lasted for forty minutes. Then manipulators one by one began to stop and hide in their hatches. The scanning was finished, and researchers smiled with a deep sense of satisfaction. Now they can return the local on the ground. Technician activated the transportation beam again, and in few moments later the stallion was brought back to his cart. Soon he opened his eyes, shook himself and stood up. He felt pain all over his body, but comparing with headache other pains were minor. Stallion growled. Then he looked around. And gasped: the sun was already down! Nightfall was the matter of minutes! He nervously exclaimed, gulped, quickly put the harness on and rushed to the farm with all his legs.

Meanwhile pilots of Team One, Zet’rar and Karin, went back to the bridge and landed the vessel. After this they returned to the lab, and ship’s ASI began to process the data of scanning. Biologist started to watch and control it, other researchers at the same time waited in their cabins. One tense hour – and Max with Bluve finally call their colleagues. Sociologists, planetologists, officer, technician and telepathist came closer to holoscreens of main terminal. They stopped and looked at the main hologram, huge projection of the taken.

“Wow,” uttered Kor.
“Amazing!” exclaimed Oma.
“This scan looks surprisingly good,” admitted Karin.
“Yeah. Even too surprisingly…” answered Max and pointed to his now twitching eye.
“Heh, what did you found then?” Edez turned to biologists.
“Well, so to say, the degree of similarity appeared to be… really, really high,” said Bluve.
“Interesting…” spelled curators.
“And how high?” wondered Sheim.
“Just look,” said Max, and together with Bluve started to explain and demonstrate it by regulation of projection. “Well they have typical organism structure of homeothermic heterotrophic creature. That’s not surprising, it was quite predictable. Surprises began when we compared scan of the local with scans of terran ungulates.”
“…and?”
“They are almost identical!”
“What?”
“Yes! They not only look the same, but also have very similar body structure!” exclaimed Bluve.
“They have absolutely the same organs!” continued Max, pointing to the hologram. “Skeleton that consist of two hundred and fifty bones or so, muscle, ligaments, brain divided into two hemispheres, spinal cord, one four-chamber heart, blood vessels, lymphatics, trachea, lungs, esophagus, stomach (the only thing that they have two compartments, not four), intestines, liver, pancreas, gallbladder, kidneys, “private parts”… Organ structure surely has differences, but in general it’s quite similar!”
“Heh…” Zet’rar, Affi and Kor nervously grinned.
“No way!” spelled Karin and Sheim.
“Oh yes, it’s so!” becked Bluve.
“…it’s just can’t be!” exclaimed Oma.
“Such similarity… Incredible!” smiled Edez.
“I still can’t believe it,” Karin shook her head.
“Well, now we all got the proof that the Universe likes to joke,” said Affi.
“And does it perfectly,” added Zet’rar.
“So, it was about the similarities,” continued Max. “But there are also some great differences!”
“Yes?”
“Well, every creature with highly organized structure has at least one system of transportation of substances and one system of signal transmission. Average terran organisms have three systems: cardiovascular system, lymphatic system (which, in fact, are one complex) and nervous system. Local creatures have them too,” senior biologist with gesture switched the image of projection and only body contours with mentioned organs remained on the hologram. “But inhabitants of this planet have one more system…”

And he showed it. Thousands of thin like a string channels pierced the body of the local. Through the all organs, through the legs, through the head… They were everywhere – the net was even more dense than nerves. It was rather homogeneous, but there were few areas of increased concentration: in the head and, for some reason, in area of those signs on flanks. And all of the channels were connected with strange organ of oblong shape which seemed to be attached right to the vertebral column.

“And… what’s that for?” said Kor.
“We tried to find it for twenty six supramoments,” answered Max. “And… all the characteristics suggest that this system is for controlling the energy mix what fills the environment of this planet.”
“What?” exclaimed other researchers.
“Yep. Well, it’s just amazing: all cells of this system has minimal differences, their structure is quite similar to nerves with only exception – the number of links is lesser; there are cells that conduct energy and cells that accumulate it, and their conducting and accumulating capacities are so high that they surpass characteristics of almost all known organic devices. Undoubtedly, it developed as source of protection from influence of perfect mix. But it evolved further and now provide them incredible possibilities! Each local may be able to perform everything what we can do!”
“Heh, not bad…” said Edez.
“Marvelous, isn’t it?” smiled Bluve.
“And what’s this organ near their spines?” wondered Oma. “Is it the… main channel?”
“Oh… This organ is much more than just main channel,” smiled Max. “It’s, in fact, their second heart.”
“What?”
“It’s the battery,” explained Bluve. “It has high concentration of cells, so they can absorb, accumulate and redistribute the energy!”
“Now that’s cool,” said Zet’rar after the short pause.
“Indeed,” nodded Kor.
“Well, sounds really great,” said Edez. “But tell me: will this be able to cause troubles during the creation of avatars?”
“I don’t think that it will…” answered Max. “But… I dunno… It may take longer period of time. About seventy nine supramoments.”
“One and a half days?” exclaimed Sheim.
“Well, the system has to deal with new organs and cellular formations. It will take time.”
“Oh, right…”
“And what about the mind scan?” wondered Affi.
“The processing will be finished in sixty eight supramoments,” answered Bluve after look at other screen. “The results will be downloaded right into our minds during the transfer, as it should be.”
“Okay then.”
“If everything is clear, then, I think, it’s possible to start the process?” said Edez.
“Oh yes,” biologists smiled.
“Okay, people, move over now!” said Zet’rar and went to the control panel.

Physiologists moved aside. Technician leaned over the panel, and researchers together began the activation. Continuous line of commands rushed to the ship’s ASI, machine received it and immediately began the processing. Cell masses were transported into bioreactors that were placed under the lab, electric charges activated the nutrient solution and the creation began. Soon scientists set all the parameters. Further system will work autonomously. For next hours they’ll be free.

“So, what now?” asked Kor when his colleagues finished.
“Relax,” Sheim answered. “Take a nap, for example.”
“Take a nap? If I do it, I won’t have time for other things.”
“You have to grow out of that night on your native planet are more than twice longer than standard, dude.”
“Eh… You’re right.”
“So, let’s putter then, because I don’t think that we’ll have such possibility soon.” smiled Zet’rar.
“Agree,” nodded other researchers.

But only they turned back, the ship’s communication module activated. Loud signal sounded throughout whole vessel.

“Oh, what now?” muttered annoyed Karin.
“What… not good person calls us at such time?” growled Kor.
“Oh, it’s Team Two,” answered Edez, having looked at the screen that appeared on the terminal.
“Let’s find out what do they want,” said Affi.

Senior planetologist nodded and opened the channel. In a moment face of the first curator of Team Two appeared on the main screen.

“Hi there, Zhifo,” said Edez. “Why are you calling?”
“Oh, it’s just about the synchronization of works,” he answered. “Have you taken a local already?”
“Yep. We got an one,” nodded Edez. “We even started the creation of avatars.”
“Not bad.”
“Thanks. And what about you?”
“Well, we’re only preparing to start the creation. We took four ones, so the analysis appeared to be quite long.”
“Four? Why so many?”
“It just happened that we found a group…” Zhifo said. Then he paused, but very soon his expression suddenly changed and he exclaimed: “Oh, guys?!”
“Yes?”
“Can you do one thing for us?”
“What thing?”
“We want to make the conspiracy better, so we decided to act as foreigners. So, please, can you send us mind scan what you got?”
“Why, yes, we can. When it will be finished, of course. But in such case… let us get better cover too – send us your scans.”
“Oh, Edez, you’ve always been quirky guy… Okay. So be it.”
“So we agreed?”
“Agreed!”

Curators gave each other a nod, then Zhifo turned the communicator off.

“So, foreigners?” Affi looked at him.
“Why not?” answered senior planetologist. “As a cover it’s not so bad.”
“Well, in fact, we are foreigners!” grinned Zet’rar.
“Oh yes.”
“But now let’s have some rest,” said curators.

Other researchers agreed, and all they went to their cabins.

During the following hours they mostly whiled away their time: slept, had some snacks, talked to each other, watched videos or played HV games. Only when one day had passed, curators together with biologist and technician executed the request of Team Two and received the response message. After this they added new scans to ASI’s processing complex to download data from them too. Affi together with Zet’rar made little special program which will choose new names for all of them. Guys that Team Two took turned out to be polyglots, as they were traders, so there will be a lot of variants.

Then some more hours passed like this. And, finally, after one and a half standard days, when the sun here had only emerged from the horizon, the processing of the scan data and creation of avatars together with basic cover stories were finished. Team One went to the bioreactor compartment to look at their new bodies and learn the names what program chose for them.

They entered the room under the lab and stood before the tanks of reactors, now without nutrient solution. Nine ponies. Nine ponies, different from each other, but at the same time not particularly notable among other. The same two sets were in the reserve, and, as it should be, 34000-page report on how genes were combined was provided. Perfect. And what about names… Well, for next weeks or even months Edez should become Berg, Affi – Antilipsi, Sheim – Lierre, Max – Zicht, Bluve – Calma, Oma – Didinga, Karin – Pippi, Zet’rar – Allegro and Kor – Erő. These will be their personalities for a lot of days, this will be their life now.

Researchers looked at each other.

“Well, team, are you ready?” asked Edez with Affi.
“Oh yes!”
“So let’s do it then.”

They skipped the humongous report – reading will take at least three days – and, having turned on the voice-activated control – their new bodies have no fingers, so they just won’t be able to use a lot of necessary devices – went to the transfer cameras that were in other part of the room. They gave a nod to each other, opened the cameras and lay in.

The last sight, and then the covers of the cameras close. Few moments of silence, and then – flash, hit and vision of rapid flight along the corridor of light. Then one more flash, one more hit – now really painful – and again rapid flight. A second, then the last flash, and they wake up in their avatars. Pipes and cables disconnected from them, and they opened their eyes and made their first breath. Tanks opened, and researchers, making their first steps, left them.

Some tentative moves, a couple of falls, but soon mind connected with all parts of the body for sure and assimilated the downloaded information. A shake – and they feel more or less good, they are quite ready.

“Strange sensation…” uttered Oma.
“It’s odd to stand on all limbs,” said Sheim, looking down.
“Welcome to my world!” grinned Kor.
“It will take some more time to get used to these bodies for sure…” said Karin, doing limbering-up.
“You don’t say…” sighed Zet’rar. “Especially this confusing feeling…”
“What feeling?”
“It’s like… Ehm… Like part of your mind says that there’s something wrong with your body.”
“I feel it too,” said Bluve.
“And me,” added Sheim with Affi.
“Maybe we should read the report?”
“No way! It'll take at least a milligrad to find what we need.”
“Hm… And I don’t feel such great difference,” said Edez.
“Well, type of your species is quite close to type of locals,” noted Bluve.
“Can be, can be…”
“But you must admit that system rather correctly copied all features of our organisms…” said Max, who, while other talked, approached the control panel of bioreactor and looked at his reflection on main console. “It even got this!” he stuck out his tongue. And he smiled, when he saw that avatar also has fifth sensor organ, which was on the tongue.
“Jeez… You have them even there?” winced Oma.
“Why not? Yep, it’s not always useful, but you can’t even imagine how it allows to enjoy the taste.”
“I’ll take it on trust.”
“Only one more question, Oma,” wondered Karin, looking at her colleague. “Why your… legs look different from ours?”
“Well, legs of my original body were different from yours: I have four joints while you have three,” answered senior sociologist. “Maybe it’s just a consequence of this.”
“Hey, look!” suddenly exclaimed Sheim. He approached the wall and, having leaned on it, stood on hind legs. Then he pushed away from the wall. Other researchers gasped. Planetologist staggered for a couple of seconds, but then concentrated and made one step. And he didn’t fell down! He managed to stand like this.

His colleagues just dropped their jaws.

“Haha! I can do it! It’s possible!” Sheim smiled.
“No… way!” exclaimed Karin, Kor and Bluve.
“Come on, guys! Try it!” planetologist encouraged them.

Soon all other researchers, even Kor, tried to do the same. Some of them succeeded from the first time, some of them fell. But after only a half of a supramoment all of them were able to stand on hind legs without great difficulties.

“Incredible. Just incredible!” smiled Affi.
“I didn’t even think that these bodies will be able to do something like this,” said Kor. “I didn’t think that they’ll be like mine. But I was wrong.”
“Check this out!” exclaimed Zet’rar, turned and started to make simple rhythmic moves and sing. “I can’t dance, I can’t talk, the only thing about me is the way I walk…”
“Nice!” smiled Max, Karin, Sheim and Oma.
“Um… Edez?” Bluve quietly addressed to curator when she noticed that he sat aloof from others and just looked at his forelimb. “Is it something wrong?”
“Bluve…” spelled planetologist after short pause. “I think that I found one of the reasons of that strange feeling that Zet mentioned.”
“And what is it?”

Edez didn’t answered. Instead he focused, raised his limb higher, then shook it and… from under the fur and edge of the hoof eight big claws appeared. Bluve screamed and fell down.

“What happened?” other researchers turned to senior planetologist and medic and exclaimed.
“Look.” just said Edez and showed the transformed forelimb.
“Wow…” uttered Kor with Zet’rar.
“Oh my…” uttered Bluve with Oma.
“It looks quite scary,” noticed Affi.
“Maybe… But I like it,” grinned senior planetologist and waved, fingering over.
“Ew…”
“No way…” grinned Max. “How did you do that?”
“I just focused on my… limb, and then it just happened,” answered Edez.
“Just focused?” surprised other.
“Yes. Just it, and nothing more,” his claws disappeared under the fur and hoof.
“Heh…”
“You also should try! If I could do it, you also should be able!”
“Hm, okay…”
“Let me,” said Affi, stepped forward, closed her eyes and focused. She tensed, her face covered with wrinkles, and in one moment three appendages of sensor organs appeared from her hair. She opened her eyes and gasped.
“Nice…” smiled Edez.
“Heh, I feel much better now,” said Affi and also smiled. “I felt that my telepathic sense didn’t vanish, but now, I must say, I perceive everything much better.”
“Really?”
“Yeah! I don’t know, maybe it’s because of this energy regulating system, but it’s a fact!”
“Your sensors just were hidden in your hair?” surprised Karin.
“It seems so.”
“Um… Affi,” Zet’rar said.
“Yes?”
“Your eyes.”
“My eyes? What’s wrong with them?”
“They were blue, but now they are orange.”
“What?” exclaimed telepathist. “How?”
“I’m a technician, I have no idea!”
“Max, Bluve, please, help me a bit.”

Physiologists nodded, approached her and carefully – as their new limbs were quite big – started to examine. And soon they found the reason.

“Aw man…” said Max when he saw it.
“What is it? What is it?” shouted telepathist.
“Affi, each your eye still has two pupils!”
“What?” exclaimed Affi with other researchers.
“But… I haven’t felt anything like this!”
“Yes,” Bluve confirmed. “Locals have irises, so you have them too now. But their colors are different.”
“And what should I do now?”
“Well, it’ll be quite hard to explain to locals…” Max uttered.
“Affi, you can control it. Just focus one more time,” said Edez.
“Oh, okay,” nodded telepathist, closed her eyes and focused again. She sighed and then opened her eyes. “Well, how I look?”
“Eh…”
“Well, now your left eye is blue, but right is still orange,” Sheim answered honestly.
“What?”
“Try again!” exclaimed Edez.

Affi closed her eyes and focused again. In a couple of seconds she opened her eyes.

“Now you’ve reversed the colors,” sighed senior planetologist.

Affi groaned, then growled, then sighed and after all of this just shook her head.

“And now everything is fine!” exclaimed Edez when she finished.
“What? Really?” she surprised.
“Yes! Now your amazing eyes are blue again!”
“Well, I’m glad to hear it…”
“Guys, seriously, let's read the report!” Bluve asked.
“No!”
“Believe me, it'll be much easier to do with educated guess method,” said Edez.

And, thus, researchers continued their tries. And soon they found that they even now, being in bodies of absolutely different species, can do the same things: Oma found that she could move her hair and tail just like she could move tentacle-like appendages on head and back of her original body, Max found that now he also was able to perceive everything, and even could do it better, Karin found that she preserved her telekinesis, and it even became stronger – she managed to lift Kor with it, although he was more than two times bigger than she, Edez found that besides claws he still was capable of total energy control of own body, Zet’rar found that he still could imitate voices of other, Bluve found that her forelimbs could divide – she still was six-limbed – and that those big scars near her shoulders were the spiracles, and she could breathe with them too, and scar on her belly was the pouch, Kor found that he preserved all additional organs of Lifetakers, including that terrifying moving fang that hided in his palate and two rows of teeth – but now one of them was identical to locals’ and other – to typical verekans, and he could switch them, Sheim found that crest on head of his original body and mohawk of his avatar were, in fact, the same formations. And, for everyone’s surprise, researchers found that they all can do the same thing that Edez showed: they all had hidden mobile claws. The amount of surprises was so high that Max with Bluve decided: since nobody wants to read the report, they have to scan themselves to find all of them and find out what they should do with it. Other researchers supported this suggestion. So Team One moved to the lab where biologists activated medical scanner, and scientists began one by one pass through it.

Edez was first.

“Well…” said Max when the results appeared on the screens. “Two vertebral columns, two humeri at each forelimb and two femurs at each leg, three hearts, four kidneys, battery of locals and battery of dreketanians… All features of your race are combined in this body. And it’s stable!”
“Glad to hear,” curator answered.
“Who’s next?” asked Bluve.
“Hey, guys! Look!” suddenly exclaimed Zet’rar.

Guys turned and looked at him. Technician stood on hind legs, spread his forelimbs and… six tentacles, just like the ones that his original body had, appeared from his back. Others choked. And Zet’rar smiled: “Let me hug you!”

“You… Preserved them too?” muttered overwhelmed Bluve.
“Turns out that yes,” Zet’rar stood on four legs. “This hump with scar was just a pouch with hidden dorsal limbs.”
“Nice…”
“Yes!” technician grinned. “So, remember, when we’ll remain alone, I’ll continue to get you,” he looked at Oma, and his dorsal limbs hung over her.
“Oh no you won’t…” she smiled in response and… Both big curls of her hair divided into two, and her tail – into three.

Researchers, especially Zet’rar, froze with opened mouths and stunned expressions again.

“H-how?” they muttered.
“I just found it out!” smiled Oma. “So, my dear Zet’rar, you won’t get anybody because now I have the advantage!” and she grabbed technician’s tentacles with her curls. And with the seventh one she started to slightly slap him on the nose.
“Ow! Ow! Ow!” he winced.
“Guys, please!” said Affi.
“Okay,” Oma sighed and released Zet’rar. Her hair and tail returned to normal, Technician hided his dorsal limbs.
“Well, if there’s no volunteers… Max, scan me,” said Bluve.
“Okay,” senior physiologist gave a nod.

Bluve passed through scanner and quickly returned to the control panel to look at the results.

“So?” she wondered.
“Knowing that you are an anxaiman, nothing surprising,” said Max. “As you already know, combined limbs. About other – two hearts, two stomachs and spiracles instead of lungs. Interesting moment is that now they are connected with nose through trachea, so that’s why you can breathe like a local and like an anxaiman. But there is one moment… Is it even normal for anxaiman to have hidden mandibles?”
“Oh, this…” Bluve faltered a bit. “You see… One of my grandfathers was a kiemrinean.”
“Ow… Well, it explains the matter.”
“And what is this dark spot?” medic wondered, having pointed to area between spiracles and hearts on the scanogram.
“Your spiracles have lesser volume than lungs, Bluve, much lesser,” answered Max. “So this dark spot is, in fact, empty space.”
“Empty space?” uttered Edez.
“Yes, and why are you asking?” surprised biologists.
“Well, there is one matter… You see, according to the protocol we all should have sources of self-annihilation. They are implanted in us already. But there’s a point that every team should has one device for group annihilation. It’s quite big, but…”
“Wait, you want me to become the carrier?” exclaimed Bluve.
“Yes,” curator nodded.
“What?” exclaimed other researchers. Medic started to shiver.
“Listen!” said Edez to everybody and turned to trembling physiologist. “Bluve, in our team only you have no lungs, so only you, as I think, have such cavity in your body. So only in you the device will be hidden perfectly. Well, we can implant it inside us, but if a lad will do it, he’d look ridiculously fat, and girls… we can spent months here, and it will be very suspiciously if girl will remain at such stage of pregnancy for all this time.”

Bluve was going to exclaim in response, but, having taken a thought, didn’t find anything to object.

“Eh, okay… I will do it.”
“Thank you,” Edez bowed.
“So, if this problem is solved, who will be the next volunteer for scanning?” asked Max.
“I will be,” answered Kor and get into the scanner.

Few minutes, a couple of flashes, some hum – and the drafting of scanogram was finished.

“Um… Kor?.,” said Bluve and Max when they saw the results.
“What?” he wondered.
“Your head is empty.”
“Guys, that’s insulting,” said Karin.
“No, his head is really empty.”
“It is?”
“Yes. There’s no brain in it.”
“It should be so,” said officer. “All verekan have brain in special capsule joined to the spine.”
“Well, now nothing changed,” Max shrugged.
“Ladies and gentlemen,” grinned Edez. “I think we found the one who will be the carrier of main memory block and main recorder!”
“Excuse me?!” resented Kor.
“You have the perfect place for it, and don’t try to outargue me, you have no chances.”

Officer just sighed. Yes, he has no chances – curator has experience of twelve centuries, and it’s almost three times longer than whole his life.

“Fine…” he uttered. “And what about other things?”
“Well, nothing more special,” answered Bluve. “Shield-column spine, oblong heart with nine chambers near the spine, combined lung. Typical verekan body structure.”
“I’m satisfied.”
“We are glad for you.”
“Next!” commanded Max.

Bluve and Kor went to get their implants, they returned soon. All other researchers meanwhile rushed to pass through the scanner. And soon they found that Affi’s sensor organs hided not only under her hair, but also under the skin in special “pockets” on her neck just like Zet’rar’s dorsal limbs and, also, as jokhrian, she preserved cartilaginous quasi-spine that joined chest and pelvis, two livers, but had no gallbladder and had no heart – jokhrian instead of it have set of so-called nodes that pumps their blood. Zet’rar preserved shield-column spine, four node-like hearts, special cluster of nerves on back and combined lung. Oma even in absolutely another body remained chemosynthetic – instead of usual stomach she preserved organ that yedeizans themselves call “the reactor” and difficult excretory system: quite large liver and six kidneys; she hadn’t radial and calf bones, and her hair appeared to be absolutely different thing from usual: her curls were made from substance similar to calloused muscle with some nerves, but, in general, they looked like ordinary hair of locals, though a bit thicker. Also after the scanning they had finally noticed that she preserved eight fangs like ordinary yedeizans. As organism structure of locals appeared to be rather similar to terran species, Karin hadn’t such great anomalies – little distinctions like presence of artificial heart launcher and absence of appendix weren’t considered – except one: large channels, almost as thick as the organ itself, stretched from the battery to the limbs and head; that’s why, as appeared later, she was able to improve significantly her ability of telekinesis. Max had similar anomaly, but the thick channel was only one, and it stretched to the sensor organs. And Sheim… He was autotrophic creature, so he had much different structure of the organism. So his avatar turned out to be an unimaginable thing: unlike typical rugartarian he had endoskeleton instead of exoskeleton, but other parts he preserved: air capsule, pump and numerous trachea instead of lungs together with air absorbing appendages that now were his beard, accumulating organ and quasi-blood with quasi-heart that pumped it – autotrophic races also had special source for nutrients delivering, but it was absolutely different thing from blood of heterotrophic species.

Looking at Sheim’s scanogram Max said:

“You know, we should avoid any kind of injuries. Especially you, my friend.”
“Why me?” resented planetologist.
“Listen, do you imagine what will happen if you get into hospital? What should we say? ‘Help our friend! He need…’ I dunno… ‘maple juice, group AB, Rh+’?”
“Okay, I get it, I get it!” answered Sheim.
“Well, if so, then, I think, we are ready.”
“Wait!” exclaimed Bluve. “What about emergency mind transportation?”
“Oh, right…”
“Well, it’s easy to test,” said Edez, approached the nearest tool chamber and, when other still were surprised, quickly grabbed a cutter, switched on the maximum power mode, put emitter to own head and pulled the trigger.

Before anyone screamed Edez’s head stopped to exist. Decapitated body fell on the floor. Other researchers were paralyzed with shock. They just looked with terrified faces at the remains of their curator.

But in a minute ship’s ASI informed that one of the reserve bioreacors was activated, then sound of its opening came, and soon alive, but standing on shaky legs Edez appeared on the stairs that led to the bioreactor room.

“Well, they are working!” he said.
“You shitass! Do you imagine how it looked for us???” shouted Affi.
“We’ll stutter for a week because of this!” shouted Oma.
“I know, I’m sorry, excuse me for this,” apologized Edez. “But it really was the fastest way!”
“But the most terrifying too!” exclaimed Zet’rar.
“Yes, and I’m sorry.”
“Why would you even do that?” frowned Affi.
“Well, it’s not the first time when I do this test,” said senior planelologist, giving commands to the creation of new additional avatar and annihilate previous body with on-board cleaning systems.
“What???”
“Um… Bluve?” Max got scared when he saw that his colleague still was shocked.
“Are you all right?” asked Karin and Sheim in trembling voice.
“Bluve, dear, speak to me!” exclaimed Oma.
“…though I’m a medic, and I know my body perfectly, I don’t know why I didn’t throw up,” finally said Bluve after short pause.
“She’s all right,” Kor summed up.
“If everything is fine, then let’s move forward, guys!” exclaimed Edez.

Researchers returned to the bridge of their ship. There they approached the main control panel and gave two special commands to ship’s ASI: make some gems – from mind scans of locals they learned that gemstones can be used as currency here, and it made the task much easier – some necessaries and some other stuff which they may use without hiding and, when they will leave, close the lock and switch to standby mode. Soon their first task was executed: ASI presented nine saddlebags with documents, personal hygiene items, utensils, maps, books and some other things and, separately, three jewels, right from the transmutation reactor. Researchers took it and rushed to the exit hall.

Sigh, look at each other, and command to open the gates was given. Few seconds – and they saw the meadow with their own eyes. Researchers tuned back, said goodbye to ship’s ASI, who watched them through the cameras, and went outside. Soon they left the vessel. Gates were closed, standby mode was activated.

The exploration began.





In ten minutes they were just in few steps from the town.

“Wow, I didn’t expect that mastering of local language will be so fast!” surprised Karin.
“Yep, such speed of assimilation is a rare thing,” nodded Affi.
“It’s almost as good as native!” said Sheim.
“Indeed, but now, ladies and gentlemen, let’s be quiet,” said Edez. “We’re going in…”

Researchers crossed the town border. They calmed themselves down, sighed and started to behave just like ordinary tourists: wander and look around.

The settlement appeared to be very picturesque and unusual place: wooden buildings with thatches looked comfortable, even idyllically, but at the same time seemed to be toy. All buildings were decorated with carved elements, there was no paving on almost all the roads, and there was a lot of greenery of different kinds – flowers, decorative bushes, trees. From the most elevated places large town park, located on the outskirts of the settlement, was visible. Citizens were busy with their own businesses or just walked around and enjoyed their lives, they were calm and very, very affable – passers regularly greeted them and smiled. It was the most surprising thing for researchers – they didn’t remember places where people were smiling so frequently just because. All locals seemed to be friendly with each other and with newcomers, Affi didn’t feel even a sign of hostility in ponies – it turned out so that it’s how locals call themselves. When researchers learned this, they got really dumbfound and confused: this similarity will go down in the Annals for sure and will surprise lots of following generations. Well, if conditions are that favorable, then it’ll make the task much easier to implement. And much nicer.

“So, what now?” asked Bluve when the group was approaching the center of the town.
“Well, a visitor should do three things: first – get local currency, second – find place to live and third – find a job,” said Oma. “We have some stuff that can fit as currency, so… you can see for yourself.”
“Okay.”
“Then should we do it one after the other, or should we separate?” asked Kor.
“I think that we should separate. We’ll be able to handle this faster,” answered Edez. “And what do you think?”
“I think that I’ll agree,” said Affi.
“Me too,” Max gave a nod.
“And me,” Karin said.
“If both curators agreed, then you can think that it’s determined,” said Zet’rar to Sheim who was near.
“You don’t say, my friend, you don’t say…” planetologist responded.
“So, who will do the first and who do the second then?”
“Let us to go find the place,” suggested Oma and looked at other girls.
“I don’t think that it’ll be the best variant…” said Kor.
“Excuse me?” resented Oma. “Who’s international relations specialist here?”
“Wait! It’s not the thing what I meant.”
“Then what did you mean?”
“You are girls, we are lads. Yes, you all have good taste, and we are sure that you’ll do your best to find wonderful house. But your tastes differ from ours, and we need a place where we can live too.”
“Then what do you suggest?” asked Affi. Oma still was confused.
“One from us go with you, and one from you go with us!” offered Edez.

Girls looked at each other and, having sighed, said: “Fine. But who’ll be that one?”

Lads gathered, quickly discussed the matter and Edez gave the answer: “…Zet will go with you,” Girls did the same and decided that Karin will be the one who go join the boys. Zet’rar and Karin didn’t mind.

“Wait a sec,” suddenly said Sheim. “If we’ll separate, then how we find each other later?”
“Don’t worry,” smiled Oma. “We have Affi. We’ll find you.”
“Oh, right…”

Edez with Sheim gave Zet’rar the bag with two diamonds, and company of professional tenants rushed to find the place to stay. Other meanwhile went to look for job offers.

“Remember that we need to find the place where we all can work at the same time?” said Karin.
“We do, we do,” answered boys.
“Okay then.”
“Only one question: where can we find such offer?” said Max. “I haven’t seen large enterprises here since we crossed the town border.”
“Well, there is one variant…” uttered Edez and then sharply turned to the nearest passer. “Excuse me, sir, can you tell me where I can purchase a newspaper here, please?”
“Oh, sure!” answered the stallion. “There is one stand on the main square, near the town hall. You’ll find it easily. It’s the second tallest building here now.”
“Now?”
“Yep. After the appearance of that castle.”
“Oh… right… Well, thanks a lot!”
“You are welcome!” passer nodded and went further.

Researchers looked around and, having noticed the steeple of the town hall, rushed there.

On the square they quickly found the newsstand, approached it and asked for a newspaper of ads. Seller after a short nod gave them “Ponyville list of free ads”. Researchers thanked, Max took off his bag and was already about to get the diamond from it, when the seller stopped him and said that “List” is free. Researchers got surprised, paused for a moment, then, having thought that if the seller himself says that it is free, then they won’t insist, so thanked again and left the stand. They came to trees that grew behind the town hall, sat under one of them and started to look through the paper.

Well, there were tens of job offers in it, great number for such small town, but all them revealed the problem that Max had already mentioned: there were no big enterprises here, even among the farms, so employers hired only one or, in rare cases, two ponies. Jobs for nine ones at the same time on the same enterprise were just out of the question.

It was really big problem: if the situation here is so bad, then they should move to other settlements, bigger ones. There they may find jobs and house for themselves, but there they will have problems with hiding their ship and hiding themselves – somewhere simply there are no suitable places to hide such big vessel in miles around, and there are more… policeponies working in bigger settlements. It looks that they have no other choice – they should separate…

When they thought about this problem deeper, they heard voices that called them. Researchers raised their heads and looked. It was their colleagues. Judging by their smiling faces it was possible to say that they succeeded. But there was one strange thing: their bags got bigger, and each their step caused ringing sound.

“Oh, hi there,” said Edez. “I see that you find the place?”
“Yep,” nodded Affi. “Nine nice rooms in big nice house. You gonna love them!”
“Zet?” asked other lads.
“I confirm it,” nodded Zet’rar.
“Well, if you say so…”
“Excuse me, but… what’s that ringing sound?” Kor raised an eyebrow.
“And why your bags are so filled?” wondered Sheim.
“Oh, this… It’s a change,” said Oma.
“Change???”
“The guy we took has excellent agricultural knowledge, but seems to be not so good at economics.”
“We see…”
“So what we’ll do with all this money?” said Max.
“We gonna live high, dude,” answered Bluve.
“Um…”
“And what about you?” asked Oma with Affi.
“Eh, not so well…” sighed lads and Karin.
“Why?”
“As Max said, there is no big enterprises here, so we all can’t be hired at one place,” explained Edez. “There are job offers only for a single one or two.”
“What?”
“Alas, but yes. We have to separate again.”
“But we may ask the employers to hire more – three of us at one enterprise,” said Kor.
“Only thing that we can do this only with local farmers.”
“A… are you sure that there’s no other variants?” muttered Oma.
“Sorry, but yes.”
“So… We’ll go to the fields now?” said Zet’rar.

Other lads slowly nodded.

“Eh… Okay then.”
“Let’s go, guys,” Edez said and other researchers followed him.

They found the road that led to main farms of environs. If it’s the only possible variant, they’ll do so. It demotivated. Researchers went with bowed heads. But they continued to look around – they had to execute their task, they had to notice everything, had to mark every detail to make the whole picture in future.

“I just can’t believe it…” uttered Oma.
“Yes, it’s not the best variant, but what else we can do?” said Kor.
“We can move to other town, or city!”
“Yes, we can, but there we’ll have more problems. This town may be the best variant in whole this country, speaking about hiding.”
“It’s so,” confirmed Edez. “The circumstances are such that we have to separate. But, if we’ll manage to get jobs at neighbor farms, we can contact with each other regularly, and it won’t be such great problem.”
“We can only hope,” sighed Affi.

Sheim, listening to them, sighed too. If they separate and work at farms, their possibilities will be limited. The exploration in this case may take a several years! Oh, it was so hard… Sheim sighed again, raised his head and looked around. Little nice houses, greenery, dirt road… Everything as at other places of this town… Wait, what is THIS? Sheim suddenly he stopped and approached one of the nearest houses. There was a paper, glued to its wall. It has a text on it. And it was an ad, a hiring ad that offered large number of vacancies! Wide smile appeared on researcher’s face.

“Hey, guys, come here!” he exclaimed.

But his gloomy colleagues didn’t response – they continued their walk and sad conversation.

“Guys!” planetologist shouted again.

And again no response.

“Ugh, why?..” growled Sheim and, having sighed, screamed one more time. “Tzhie, vezfahore!!! Sladiz hade nabiizte gza u aaniz!” [“Hey, you, shitfuckers!!! Drag your asses here and look!”]

This had the effect. His taken aback colleagues stopped, turned and looked at him with very angry faces.

“Ta fi deerd?” [“What did you say?”] growled Kor.

“Just come here and look, dammit!” shouted Sheim.

They run to him, Sheim pointed to the paper, and other researchers read it. And they smiled too.

“Excellent! Excellent!” exclaimed Edez.
“It’s the best offer what we could hope for!” exclaimed girls with Max.
“Good work!” Zet’rar patted Sheim on the back.
“Forgive me, pal,” said Kor to Sheim
“I should ask for forgiveness for using such words, pal,” answered planetologist. “Hey, why we are still here? We have to run!”
“Right!”

And researchers rushed to the castle.

Hosts of the Castle of Friendship waited in the hall.

“Are ya sure it work?” asked Applejack.
“Honestly, I have no idea,” answered Twilight.
“It will work! I guarantee it!” exclaimed Pinkie Pie. “Well, maybe not right now, but in an hour, or two, or three for sure!”
“I think that Pinkie is right – we have to wait,” said Rarity.
“Agree,” Fluttershy and Spike nodded.
“…I’ll abstrain for now,” said Rainbow Dash.
“Well, maybe you’re right,” weakly smiled Twilight. “Only time will show how good it was…”

And right at this moment someone knocked on the door. Ponies and Spike shuddered.

“I told ya!” smiled Pinkie Pie.
“Pinkie, it can be anypony,” said Applejack.
“There’s only one way to find out,” uttered Twilight, approached the door and opened it with her magic.

Over the door sills there were nine ponies. When they saw the hosts, they bowed and then tall stallion in the middle of the group said:

“Excuse us, we are here about the hiring…”



* – about 0,6 kilometer