• Published 7th Dec 2015
  • 1,384 Views, 31 Comments

Exploring Equestria - A_guy_from_Earth



A story about adventures of alien researchers in Equestria.

  • ...
2
 31
 1,384

17. Preparing New Generation


In the Castle of Friendship serious battle had been flaring up. All the bearers of the Elements sat around the table in the main hall and glared daggers at each other. Intensity of hostility and total level of stress were so high it seemed that one more second, and ponies will start shoot lightnings literally. Thunder rumbled in the hall already.

“You’ll be annihilated with no mercy!” shouted Rarity.
“I’ll destroy all of you!” roared Fluttershy.
“Ah’ll flatten ya like elephant flattens a gnat!” growled Applejack.
“There will be no mercy for you!” thundered Pinkie Pie.
“I’ll turn all of you into ashes!” shouted Twilight.
“I’ll tear you in pieces!” roared Rainbow Dash.

Members of Team One and Spike meanwhile watched them from galleries of second floor and silently became astounded.

“Bearers of the Elements of Harmony…” spelled Affi.
“Embodiments of forces of good…” added Edez.
“They are much more dangerous than Elements that they possess,” said Max.
“Now you know how it was living with them?” Spike addressed researchers.
“Yes,” said Oma, looking at the ponies, still in deep shock.
“We feel for you,” said Kor and put his hoof on little dragon’s shoulder.
“And all this happens just because of foal’s board game,” uttered Karin.
“And that’s the most horrifying,” said Zet’rar.
“Exactly.”

One floor below intensity of emotions almost reached the limit. Players made the last move and… Rarity jumped up screaming “Yeah!!!” almost like Bulk Biceps, other growled with anger. Applejack and Pinkie Pie hit the table with their hooves. Fluttershy was about to flip the table, but in the last moment remembered that it was, in fact, part of floor.

“I won for the third time! And won in the overall standings!” Rarity rejoiced. “In your face! In! Your! Face!”
“We got it! We got it!” snapped Rainbow Dash.
“I demand a rematch!” thundered Pinkie Pie.

Some other ponies were ready to support her, but suddenly Twilight stopped them all.

“We should stop it, really,” she uttered after a sigh. “And cool ourselves down.”
“Ah agree with ya as never before,” responded Applejack.
“All right, girls! That’s enough of “Treasure hunters” for today,” purple alicorn said and quickly packed the game up.

Her friends took a deep breath and calmed down, blowing off their steam.

“We really ran mad after it,” spelled Fluttershy.
“Yeah, this was too much…” said Rainbow Dash. “Well, shall we continue it next…”
“Um, I’m not disturbing?” a voice from the side came.

Hosts of the Castle turned to its source and saw Ponyville school teacher standing in the doors.

“Oh, no, miss Cheerilee,” said Twilight. “Please, come in!”

Cheerilee gave a nod and came closer.

“What brings you here?” wondered Fluttershy.
“It’s our sisters again?” asked Applejack and Rarity.
“What did they get up to this time?” asked Rainbow Dash.
“Oh, no, no!” Cheerilee shook her head. “They were diligent pupils lately. I came here, um, with a request to your new friends who work here.”
“What?” bearers of the Elements surprised.
“Well, I heard that they are university graduates, and, you know, education given in Europonia values everywhere, so… I wonder whether it will be possible to invite them to hold some lections.”
“Whoa!” exclaimed Applejack.
“That’s… quite unexpected offer,” Rarity noticed.
“Yeah,” nodded Pinkie Pie.
“What so special they can give to our youngsters?” asked Rainbow Dash.
“Well, europonians are the most advanced in the fields of science and technology nation in the world, and they learn all the latest discoveries in their colleagues and universities,” answered Cheerilee.
“It’s so,” confirmed Twilight.
“So I was hoping they might share some of their knowledge.”
“Well, you should ask not us, but them,” said Twilight and called the researchers.

Members of Team One, having heard her, went downstairs together with Spike.

“Yes?” said Edez when they entered the hall.
“Guys, this is miss Cheerilee, our school teacher,” Twilight introduced the Ponyville educator. “She has a big request to you…”
“Wait, where is Lierre?” suddenly asked Pinkie Pie, counting them.
“He’s on the roof, photosynthesizes,” said Max.

Spike burst out laughing. “Good one!” he said through tears. Bearers of the Elements smiled too.

“Um, pardon me?” uttered Cheerilee.
“Lierre’s just completely green,” explained Twilight.
“Oh.”
“I’ll call him,” said Edez.
“Pardon me, Berg, but I’ll do it faster,” said Rainbow Dash. “No offense?”
“None taken.”

Blue pegasus smiled and flew out through one of the opened windows of the hall. Just in few seconds she returned, and soon Sheim joined the rest of the Team.

“What would you like to ask us, miss Cheerilee?” said Edez.
“Well,” violet pony started a bit shaky, “I heard a lot about how good europonian education is, so, please, could you give our students some lections?”
“Well… It’s very unusual task, and we have no experience of teaching, but…” researchers exchanged glances and after short meditation gave each other a nod, “I guess, we can tell them about some things.”
“Really?”
“If our young ladies have no jobs for us…”

Bearers of the Elements shook their heads, Twilight said “No.”

“…then we’ll be happy to help you!” continued Edez.
“Just give us some time for preparations,” added Affi, “Only some of us had pedagogy courses, and it was quite a long time ago.”
“Sure! Thank you!” happily exclaimed Cheerilee.

Researchers and educator left the hall to discuss the program of the classes. Following Cheerilee’s recommendations, Team One created own plan, which teacher of Ponyville school accepted with almost no corrections. They agreed on that each of them will hold one class on the field of own specialization; Kor will have to hold physical education class as his theoretical knowledge weren’t appropriate for elementary school students, but his experience in physical training can be used. Classes were scheduled for the day after tomorrow.

After when they shook hooves, Cheerilee gave Team One list of her students to know whom they’ll have to deal with and left the Castle, having said that she’s waiting for upcoming classes. Researchers saw her off and then returned to their duties. They cleaned the Castle, cooked food for several days, made final check of Castle’s security system and did the last task from Twilight: hide all board games in the Castle somewhere where no pony will be able to find them. In the evening everything was done.

Working time was over, they were released for two days, so now it was possible to focus on the request of miss Cheerilee. Researchers spent next day intensively studying all materials about Europonia and europonians what they got or received from Team Two, selecting appropriate for equestrian civilization knowledge and making plans. They finished the preparations before the moonrise.

Finally, the day of, probably, the most difficult test of researchers’ abilities came. At the appointed time Team One with all necessary equipment arrived to the school. Cheerilee was already there. She greeted researchers and quickly showed them the schoolyard.

“There’s our sportsground, there’s our playground, and here is school gazebo,” she pointed.

Researchers followed her, examining the area. They didn’t focus for too long on the objects around, but some things caught their attention. Zet’rar stopped, looking at one of the playground’s attractions: small annular tube, entrance and exit of which were right in front of each other. He nudged Kor who stood near and quietly uttered, pointing at the tube:

“Small Foal Collider.”
“Yeah,” agreed Kor.
“Yes?” Cheerilee wondered, having heard them.
“Oh, nothing, nothing!”
“Then let’s come in!” educator smiled and with a gesture said to follow her.

She stood on the small school porch and opened the door. Researchers went in after her. They appeared in simply decorated short corridor, where only four doors and stairs to the basement, attic and belfry were. Ponyville elementary school had rather small building: it had only two classrooms; other two doors in the corridor led to teachers’ and storeroom. Cheerilee opened the door of her class and invited researchers in. They gave her a nod and entered.

Students of her class were already there. As all normal pupils, in absence of their teacher they were bored or chatted, but when researchers started to enter, they fell silent. Without a single word they watched how temporary teachers went in and stood in a row. Members of Team One gradually took all the space from wall to wall near the blackboard. Cheerilee entered the last and, having seen surprised faces of her pupils, smiled.

“Don’t worry, my little ponies,” she said, “these gentlecolts and ladies are our guests, which I spoke about yesterday. This is mister Berg, miss Antilipsi, mister Erő, miss Didinga, mister Allegro, miss Pippi, mister Zicht, miss Calma and mister Lierre. They will be your teachers for today. Please, give them a warm welcome!”

Foals stood up and greeted them. They still acted a bit timidly, but after encouragement from their teacher they weren’t still, shivering in shyness or trembling in awe.

“Thank you,” Edez and his colleagues bowed. “Miss Cheerilee asked us to provide you a glimpse about education in our homeland, so today you will have Europonia-style lessons. Unfortunately, I have to tell you that, since there are nine of us, you will have nine lessons.”
“But your classes will be shorter today,” Affi continued right after her colleague, “and we’ll do our best to make them interesting.”
“Well, what do you think?” asked Allegro.

Foals looked at each other, then Apple Bloom, Pipsqueak and Rumble shrugged a bit and said “Well… Why not?”

“Excellent!” researchers smiled. “Now, let’s start the classes.”

Cheerilee went to the back rows. Today she is taking a break from teaching, today she will be just another listener. Edez took off the saddlebags from his back and came closer to the students. His colleagues left the class – they will wait for their turn in the teachers’.

Foals raised their heads to look at arsenic giant. Their faces showed no irrepressible expectation, but there were sparks of interest in their eyes. It was a good sign. Edez smiled and sat down.

“Put your textbooks and pencils aside. You can forget about them for today,” he said.
“What?” foals surprised. What they had just heard sounded wrong – teachers should not say such thing!
“The aim of every lesson is to give students knowledge,” researcher continued. “It can be done well only if students are interested in getting them. Writing a synopsis, solving problems from textbooks and so on perfect for training and reinforcement of material studied, but these are not the best methods for getting knowledge. Rare pupil is really fond of them. Getting knowledge should be interesting for everypony. So, today… let’s just have a conversation. Let’s find out what is interesting for you. Ask questions, and we will try to answer them. Ask anything, ask what really you want to know, don’t be afraid. Don’t be afraid of being wrong and to ask silly questions. As if there was not mentioned in that joke, there are such things as silly questions. But all this is the integral part of the learning process. No one in the whole world can do without this. So, again, don’t be shy and be afraid.
“So, are you ready?”
“Yes!” foals answered.
“Wonderful!”
“Um, mister Berg?” Rumble raised his hoof.
“Yes?”
“What joke you spoke about?”
“Yeah!” added Scootaloo.
“Well… Professor says introductory word to the students. He finishes his speech with the phrase ‘And remember: there is no such thing as silly questions, there are only silly answers.’ One of the students raises his hoof. Professor says ‘Yes?’ and student asks ‘What will happen if I put roller skates on my legs, stand on rails and grab a wire with my tail? I’ll start to move like a tram?’”

Foals and Cherilee laughed. Edez waited until they calm down and then continued:

“My area of specialization is physics, so, if you have questions about how nature works, ask!”
“Mister Berg!” First Base raised his hoof.

Edez turned to him.

“My uncle Spike-Nail once told that ‘one europonian’ helped him finish the job when he and his crew lacked some materials,” colt said. “He said that this europonian used cardboard to replace wood. And it worked perfectly. I… just can’t believe it! How such thing was possible?”
“Well… I guess you should ask mister Allegro about this, since, as I suppose, he’s responsible for this,” answered Edez. “But I can explain you how it was possible.”

Researcher stood up, approached the teacher’s table and took three sheets of paper from the top drawer. Holding one of the sheets, he began to explain:

“Paper seems to be one of the most fragile and delicate materials. It takes almost no efforts to crumple it or tear apart. It seems that it will not stand even the smallest weight. Unless you do this.”

He quickly cut the paper into strips and then accordion-folded them. When he finished, he put strips on the edge on the floor and, in front of astonished foals, stood on them. Paper strips didn’t crumple under his weight.

“See?” he looked at students. “That’s how it was done,” he stepped off the strips. “Accordion-folding makes sheets of any materials stronger. Edges of a sheet may seem impalpable, but they have surface area. It is miserable, but it exists. Folding increases total surface area of material per, for example, a square inch. It’s much easier to stand on the top of 30-inch wide wall than 5-inch wide one, agree?”

Foals gave a nod.

“The same is here,” continued Edez. “Also folds are the elements that provide additional strength – they act just like columns of buildings. Paper between these “columns” acts like minor support elements. Also, paper consists of cellulose, an organic fibrous material. Many organic fibers are quite strong and tough materials: they are fragile in form of sheets, but may be as hard as steel in form of bars.”
“Wow,” spelled First Base.
“Well, now you get it?” Edez asked the colt.
“Yes! That was so simple… but awesome!”
“I’m happy for you. So,” he rubbed his hooves, “more questions?”

Rumble raised his hoof again.

“My brother works in weather patrol,” he said, “It’s not an easy job, but he spends only three-four hours on it. He usually works at greater height than other pegasi, but that is no reason to shirk! And when I ask him he just says that I ‘don’t understand the thing’. Why so? What “thing” I do not understand?”
“Well, Rumble, I must say that your brother really is a lazybones, but he is rather smart,” answered Edez.
“Smart?”
“Yes. He perfectly mastered one of the basic laws of atmospheric physics: the higher a body is, the greater impact it can have. All the air is one continuous mass, everything in it connected. Upper layers have their effect on lower and vice versa. Manipulating air currents at higher levels, one can achieve the necessary results making less effort.”
“Oh… I think I begin to understand,” spelled Rumble.
“I’m not!” said Sweetie Belle.
“Eh… I don’t know how to show this clearly here…” researcher said and took a thought for a second. “Okay, go to the playground. I’ll explain it to you there.”

Young ponies got surprised, but did what researcher said. They – together with their teacher, who also was wondering – they went to playground. Soon after them Edez came there too together with Zet’rar. Researchers brought a barrel and long metal pipe. Physicist and technician quickly joined the pipe to the barrel where bunghole was. After this Zet’rar returned to the teachers’, and Edez put the barrel pipe up. Lonely column of bizarre construction towered above the playground. While surprised foals started at the pipe, master researcher took fire hose, joined it to hydrant and gave the loose end to Rumble with words:

“Put it into the top of the pipe.”

Little pegasus looked at the researcher, then at pipe uncomprehendingly, but did what Edez said. When loose end was in the pipe, researcher turned water supply on and said all the pegasi to watch the water level in pipe. Young winged ones flew up and gathered near the top of the construction. Meanwhile Edez said other ponies to watch the barrel.

A minute passed, then two, and… Suddenly, for everypony’s surprise, the barrel cracked from the inside, and several narrow water threads shot out from it. Edez closed the tap.

“What is the level?” he asked.
“Three steps below the top, approximately,” answered Rumble.
“That’s what I talked about,” said Edez, approaching the pupils. “Water mass in the pipe was only slightly greater than in the barrel, but because it was above, it created pressure so high that it just crackled the barrel! That’s the effect.”
“Oh… Now I get it!” said Sweetie Belle.
“It’s a modified principle of the lever, in fact,” continued Edez. “The same effect can be demonstrated if I sit on a seesaw near the pivot point, and one of you sit on the opposite side on the seat.”

Then he showed it in reality. Astonished foals watched how giant Edez and little Pipsqueak balanced each other.

“Well, here’s the principle,” researcher said, getting down from the seesaw. “Now, please, return to classroom. I’ll come back soon, when I dismantle this thing,” and he went to the barrel.

Students returned to school and sat down on their desks. Their temporary teacher soon joined back.

“Well?” he said.
“Oh!” Scootaloo raised her hoof.
“Yes?”
“Mister Berg, can you explain me one thing? Once I was moving through the town on my scooter, as usual, when it fell apart right under me! With no reason! Handlebar just fell off! It just started to totter and then – bam! I’m on the ground.”
“That’s because you are embodiment of destruction,” said Silver Spoon with contemptuous smile.
“Very funny,” Scootaloo snorted in response.
“Well…” Edez said, having glanced on Silver Spoon, “I think there was a reason. Did handlebar of your scooter totter before?”
“Um, yeah. Just a little, but for last month for sure.”
“Then you just became a victim of the incident caused by fatigue of material. It’s a phenomenon of weakening of materials under severe loads. Each shake that happened to your scooter weakened it, and after another strong shake just broke it. It was something like this…”

He took a small sheet of aluminum from his bag and started to bend and unbend it. After several moves he stopped and gave the piece of metal to Scootaloo.

“Now try to tear it apart,” he said.
“What?” young pegasus surprised.
“Just try.”
“Uh, okay…”

She gulped and made a try. And she did it. She tore the metal sheet. Eyes of Silver Spoon became much bigger.

“H-how?” Scootaloo muttered. “It was so easy…”
“That’s what fatigue of materials does,” said Edez. “Even metals become so weak because of it that even a baby can break them.”
“Wow.”
“Next time just go to a workshop if you find even the slightest trace of problem, okay?”
“Sure!”

Apple Bloom raised her hoof and started to tell:

“One winter Ah left mah pickaxe on ice cube in our icehouse. Just forgot it there. But when Ah remembered and came back, Ah found it frozen into ice! How such thing could happen?”
“It’s a phenomenon called regelation,” Edez started to explain. “Because of temperature difference ice crystals melt then froze again. Pickaxe, when you left it in the icehouse, was relatively warm, so it started to melt ice. Metal tool is heavier than ice, so ice melted under it, and the tool moved down. Pickaxe pushed melted mass up, and there it froze again. Thus, gradually, your pickaxe appeared in the ice cube, until it cooled to the ice temperature.”
“Oh… Ah think ah got it!”
“Wonderful! Well, more questions?”

Edez answered five more questions and his time was over. Students went for ten-minute break to have some rest before the second lesson. However, they weren’t tired: the format chosen for the classes gave almost no loads, and illustrative examples made them very interesting.

While foals were disporting, Karin got ready for her lesson. Because of features of her subject she had no examples to show, like Edez, for amazement of the foals, so she hoped that the topic itself will be interesting for youngsters.

Soon the break was over, and pupils returned to the class. When they saw Karin… They were at a little loss: after giant Edez their teacher was a miniature mare. It was so contrasting that first question Karin was asked sounded like:

“Ehm… Are you a teenager?”
“No,” she smiled. “I’m just anything but tall.”
“Is it even normal for europonians to have such differences in size?” asked Diamond Tiara.
“Well, if you want to know, I’m the one who you need,” said Karin. “My specialization is ethnography of Europonia. I can tell you everything about this land and its citizens. I think you heard quite a lot about Europonia, and many of you want to visit it, so, if you want know what to see and how to behave and react on things, ask!”

After a short pause Dinky Doo asked the first question:

“How many countries there are in Europonia at all?”
“Sixty seven,” answered Karin. “And, I should clarify, now it’s correct to call them “regions”, since Europonia is a federation at present.”
“So now only Centropolis has the power, right?” asked Diamond Tiara.
“Yep. That’s our only center now.”
“Oh, Centropolis…” Boysenberry smiled dreamily. “I’ve always wanted to go there! I love its architecture and I love how people of so many different nations live there in peace!”
“Well, if you want to see all the diversity of our world, Centropolis is the best place to come, really. But, in general, in my honest opinion, this city is a madhouse.”
“Why?”
“First of all, it’s the people who live there. Yes, they all live in peace, but there are just too many of them, and they all are very different. Centropolis resembles one huge bazaar of Camel Sultanate. Also, there is a point about its architecture. Yes, the oldest part of the city built in one ensemble is wonderful. But other districts… Centropolis was built in Tschielia, the land of mountains. The central part of city lies in the valley, but outskirts stand on hillsides. There was not so much land suitable for construction, so everyone just built according to principle ‘I build what I can and how I can’, so… Outskirts of Centropolis are quite… bizarre places.”
“I love bizarre places!”
“Then Centropolis is the place for you.”
“I heard that there are alicorns in Europonia too,” said Ruby Pinch. “Is it true?”
“Yes, it is,” Karin gave a nod. “And, furthermore, there are hundreds of them there.”
“What?” foals surprised.
“H-how?” some students muttered.
“…But europonian alicorns are different from princesses of Equestria. Alicorns of our homeland are, in fact, just unicorns with wings. They don’t possess any great powers. And they appeared relatively recently.”
“But why there are so many of them?” Ruby Pinch wondered.
“Well…” Karin faltered. “The reason is the greatest magic disaster in history, Polynovy Jar accident.
“One hundred and three years ago three europonean – at that time – countries, Dregova, Stepchyna and Dolia, decided to establish the greatest magic research institute in the world. Europonian always were the most technically and scientifically advanced nation in the world, but then they decided to become also the most magically advanced. These three countries created a joint institute, which was placed in small town of Polynovy Jar in Stepchyna, near the point where borders of all the countries-founders converge. Just in a couple of years Polynovy Jar Institute became the most significant center of magic studies in the world. Every day its workers created dozen of new spells, every week they made a discovery, and every half-year – a fundamental discovery. People still use many of their achievements. However, scientists there worked not only with good magic, they studied all its kinds. They carried out dangerous experiments. Including so-called high-energy manipulations… Ninety one year ago one of these experiments got out of control. And led to the magic burst that affected all Europonia. Dregova and Stepchyna and one more country, Liguwia, were hit the most. There were almost no victims, but soon after this many ponies and other citizens of Europonia started to mutate. “Alicornism” was one of the most widespread mutations. Sometimes it took whimsical forms, especially if parents of changed one were from different species… Thus, Europonia now is the only place where you can see a thestral alicorn, for example! Just like unicorn zebras, winged deer, horned griffins and so on… And it still continues.
“By the way, difference in size between me and Berg and Erő is a distant effect of that event. We are mutants.”
“But, still, why so many?” Ruby Pinch asked again.
“This is a question from the field of biology. I can’t explain it to you properly, Ruby,” answered Karin. “Wait for the lesson of my friend Zicht, ask him, and he’ll explain it to you in detail, okay?”
“Okay.”
“Miss Pippi,” Twist raised her hoof, “you were talking about ‘ponies and other citizens of Europonia’, you and your friends used terms that don’t apply to ponies… Why? There are so many comers from other countries in Europonia?”
“It’s so,” researcher answered. “Although the land is called ‘Europonia’, ponies are only two-thirds of its total population. North and center are also widely populated with deer, east – with bisons, south-east – with camels and antelope, south and west – with zebras, south-west and west – with griffins, and all lands except south – with dragons and hogs. In some regions ponies are not the majority of population. That’s why we use such terms, suitable for all the species. And, by the way, ponies weren’t the only first inhabitants of that land – we shared it with deer, hogs, bisons and dragons.”
“Wow. I didn’t know that,” said Twist.
“And…” Boysenberry was about to ask additional question.
“…how many other species are in Centropolis?” Karin guessed what she wanted to ask. “Ponies are minority of its population – only 42%.”
“What?”
“Well, it just happened so: capital of Europonia is not a pony city at all… Probably that’s how other races take revenge on us for the fact that whole continent was named in honor of us.”
“That’s really strange.”
“I do not doubt.”
“Europonians all are strange,” said Snips. “I heard that stallions there wear skirts too.”
“It’s so, but it’s called “kilt”, not “skirt”,” responded Karin. “And it’s traditional only for one region, Fuarbeinnfonn.”
“But, still, it’s weird.”
“You know, kilts recognized as the best clothes that do not constrain movements even here, in Equestria.”
“Oh…”
“We know that not all the species are vegetarian like us, ponies,” Blade Runner began, “But I heard that not all the ponies in Europonia are vegetarian. Is it true?”
“It’s true,” answered Karin.

Some foals gasped in shock.

“Yes, some ponies of my homeland aren’t vegetarian, they are omnivores,” researcher continued. “But that’s not because of savagery or something as you think. It had objective reasons. For example, ponies of Iceland. Now they can grow whatever they want in greenhouses, but before, when that island had been populating, greenhouses weren’t invented. Ponies that arrived there had only moss, lichen, withered grass, some berries and some barley, rye and oats if weather was favorable to grow them. Having just this they barely survived in that cold land. So, in order not to starve to death, they started to fish. It was the only way out. In some other places ponies had to live among dragons. They were minority, so had to adapt to dragons’ customs. And, as you know, all dragons are absolute omnivores.”
“And… have you ever tasted meat?” Blade Runner asked quietly.
“I had to spend some time in Iceland, so, yes. I tasted fish. Some dishes.”
“Even hákarl?” surprised Twist.
“…yeah.”
“And… How was it?”
“Don’t ask.
“Let’s better change the topic, agree?”
“Agree.”

Aura raised her hoof.

“I’ve been wondering…” she said. “What do Europoneans worship?”
“Well, the history of this issue is quite complex,” said Karin. “Europonia have never had such patrons and defenders as princesses Celestia and Luna. Its citizens could rely only on themselves and… supernatural forces. That’s why there are so many stories about spirits in Europonia. That’s what people of my homeland worship. But among all the legends one has the greatest impact – the legend about the creation of the world. It says that everything what we can see was made by four entities: Geneir, the creator, Perdeir, the destroyer, Devlopir, the developer, and Salvumir, the keeper. They exist since the beginning of time, they built this world and they keep maintain it now. Everything what happens is their job. They are the main spirits. They are the ones whom we bow.”
“Can you tell us more about them?” asked Apple Bloom.
“And tell some other Europonean legends?” added Scootaloo. “They are so cool!”
“With pleasure,” Karin smiled.

Until the end of the lesson she told the foals stories of Europonia. Young ponies hung on her words – even the breachiest ones. Then the bell rang, Karin finished the last legend and thanked everypony for attention. Foals went for a break, and next temporary teacher started to prepare for his lesson.

When students returned to the class, they saw that their new teacher was bronze stallion with scars on his face. Max waited until when all foals sat down and said:

“Hello, my little friends. On your third lesson I’ll tell you a couple of things about anatomy. But before it I’d like to make an announcement. I understand that this topic may be interesting not to all of you, so… If you are bored, you can sleep right here. Really. You can take a pillow, a plaid and doze off. I’m absolutely fine with this, just do not snore, please. But I don’t tolerate chatter in the classroom. Lection is not the time to talk about trifles. Please, be quiet.
“Now, let’s start.”
“Why did you choose this science?” asked Pipsqueak.
“Many sentient beings have tendency to look for answers everywhere around,” researcher said. “But often the answer they seek they can find only in themselves. The very reason of a thing can be connected with specific features of your mind or your body. I became a doctor to find such answers for myself and help others with the same. Also… being a medical researcher is a great way to help others, don’t you think?”
“Yes,” Pipsqueak nodded. “Doctors really are everyday heroes!”
“Indeed, it’s difficult, but noble profession,” said Max. “Now, please, excuse me…”

He slowly went to Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon, who had been actively chatting at the moment. Fillies were so busy with their conversation that noticed Max only when he stood right behind them. Young ponies remembered about what their temporary teacher told them, fell silent and looked at him. Max didn’t say a word, looked at fillies, then… quickly poked Diamond Tiara in the neck. Filly closed her eyes and dropped her head on the desk. In a second he did the same with Silver Spoon. Eyes of other foals widened. Cheerilee was shocked. She was about to resent, when Max turned to her and said:

“Don’t worry, miss Cheerilee, they are absolutely fine, just sound asleep. They’ll wake up right before the start of the fourth lesson.”

Cheerilee listened to fillies and for her own surprise found that researcher was right: happy sniffing confirmed that they were sleeping. Max meanwhile returned to the teacher’s table.

“How did you do that?” exclaimed Cutie Mark Crusaders.
“It’s very simple if you know how body is organized. You just need some practice,” Max said. “And it’s just one small thing from all the diversity of possible tricks.”
“We want to know everything about it!”
“Well, if you want to know everything you need many years of studying, but I can teach you some stuff. Are you ready?”
“Yes!”
“Then ask what you want to know.”

Ruby Pinch raised her hoof.

“Mister Zicht!” she said. “Your friend miss Pippi said you can tell us why there are so many alicorns in Europonia.”
“Yes, she told me about your request, Ruby. Well, the reason is the following: each pony has two so-called internal trigger mechanisms. One of them is responsible for formation of wings, other – for formation of horn. Usually only one or none of them can be active. If none of them is active, you are an earth pony, if the first one is active – you are a pegasus, if the second – you are an unicorn. But incident in Polynovy Jar caused activation of both mechanisms among some ponies. So they got both wings and horn. That’s why “europonean alicornism” is so spread.”
“Miss Pippi also said that they aren’t powerful as princesses of Equestria,” noticed Aura. “But… they are identical!”
“Active trigger mechanisms are not the only reason. There are several other differences. Some time ago princess Celestia gathered scientists from all over the world to find at least some reasons of differences between her and ordinary ponies. And they found few ones: intensity of metabolism, specific features of magic heart… It’s not so easy.”
“Features of magic heart?”
“Yes. It’s believed to be the main reason. Princess Celestia was X-rayed totally for this research, but only things what scientists got were that her magic heart is huge and has very difficult structure which almost impossible to understand.
“By the way, features of magic heart regularly affect ponies. It was called “heart” not without reason. For example, particularities of magic heart entirely explain behavior of Pinkie Pie.”
“What?” surprised Apple Bloom and Scootaloo.
“How such things can be connected?” wondered Sweetie Belle.
“You just haven’t seen her X-ray,” smiled Max. “But the reason is very simple. Answer me, who, as you think, has the largest magic heart among all the bearers of the Elements of Harmony?”
“Twilight, of course!” Apple Bloom said.
“Well, that’s quite obvious. And now tell who has the second largest magic heart among them.”

Foals faltered.

“Can’t be… Pinkie Pie?” spelled Scootaloo.
“Exactly. Her magic heart is 2.7 times larger than average unicorn’s! She just can’t be not-hyperactive, having so much energy inside without horn as way out.”
“Heh…”
“Yeah.”
“Um, mister Zicht?” Sweetie Belle raised her hoof. “Can you explain then why foals of mister and missis Cake are pegasus and unicorn, though their parents are earth ponies?”
“The reason is almost identical to the cause of “europonian alicornism”,” answered Max. “Activation of trigger mechanisms doesn’t entirely depend on appearance of parents. All combinations are possible, just their probability is rather low.”
“So that’s not because some their relatives were pegasi and unicorns?”
“To be honest, it’s just a not the best guess.”
“Oh, can you show more of those tricks?” asked Snails.
“Yeah!” some other colts and fillies supported him.
“Sure,” researcher responded. “But I need some volunteers.”

He immediately got full class of them.

“Well then let’s start the show,” said Max. “Um, Blade Runner, First Base, can you come here?”

In a second colts stood in front of him.

“First, some self-defense. Now decide who will be the potential attacker and who – potential victim.”
“I’ll be the attacker!” declared First Base.
“Fine,” uttered Blade Runner.
“Now, First Base, slightly hit Blade Runner here,” Max pointed to the area where vertebral column joins the skull, “like this,” and he demonstrated.

Yellow colt repeated after researcher.

“Now, Blade, try to move,” said Max.

Blade Runner rolled his eyes, but then… his face displayed shock.

“I… can’t!”
“Temporary paralysis,” researcher explained. “Works only for several minutes, but it can give you chance to run away. Useful, isn’t it?”

Watchers gave a nod.

“Now, let me fix you,” said Max and with couple of moves returned Blade Runner’s mobility. “Next?”

Boysenberry and Aura were already near him.

“How to mute an annoying interlocutor,” announced Max and showed the move.

Aura repeated it and then tested it on volunteer victim Boysenberry. And young pony completely lost her voice. She couldn’t even wheeze. Max quickly fixed her and passed to the next trick.

Before the end of the lesson he showed some more impressive techniques: how to cure a cramp in a second, how to kill the pain, how to increase magic powers for some minutes, how to make yourself hardier, how to take revenge on older brothers and sisters for mockeries with tickling of some points that makes every pony to laugh hysterically. Foals also asked him to show how he sent Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon to sleep, but they didn’t manage to coax the researcher.

Students persuaded researcher for three minutes before the bell rang, and they went for a break. Max quietly breathed with relief and passed the baton to Affi. As he promised, arrogant fillies woke up right before the fourth lesson. They were very disgruntled.

Another ring marked the beginning of lesson. Affi entered the classroom right before it and greeted foals again:

“Good day, dear friends. Your next lesson will be devoted to fairly difficult subject: psychology. Yes, this field is unknown country for many ponies, but it’s very interesting and allows to find answers on many questions.
“Before me my colleague and friend Zicht told you about how important is to look for answers in yourself first and told about probable physiological reasons. Now I will tell you about mental reasons. So, please!”
“Pardon me, but you say that if externals have no effect on things that happen around,” said Twist.
“The impact of circumstances is very great, but it depend only on us how we respond to them,” answered Affi. “For instance, why, do you think, many griffins are greedy and cruel?”
“Um… I don’t know.”
“Well, the reason is that long time ago, before they found their states, griffins were poor. Their homeland has very little easily accessible resources. This was the external, which made them to choose. Because of this lack, all kinds of property were very valuable for them, and thus their greed was born. They could solve problem of the lack with two ways: make great efforts to obtain these resources or take resources from others. They chose the second way and thus became cruel as warriors. Only years later they managed to solve the lack problem with own powers, but their typical character was formed already.”
“Oh.”
“It applies to all the nations. You have no need to go far for another example: did you know that all equestrian youngster’s favorite night actually have been celebrating for more than three thousand years?”
“What?” foals surprised.
“Wait! Everypony knows that it’s connected with Nightmare Moon!” exclaimed Apple Bloom.
“True,” Affi gave a nod. “But originally celebration of “night of fear” came from some small backcountries of Equestria. Ponies there believed that at some night all the evil spirits rage. It was necessary to drive them off somehow. After some thinking ponies decided that if you are dealing with evil spirits, the only possible way that gives some effect is fighting fire with fire. So they started to dress in spooky costumes to scare the spirits away. After the appearance of Nightmare Moon this custom became widespread – ponies were afraid that Nightmare Moon might return, and… just came up with the similar thinking pattern. That’s how this tradition was born.”
“Wow… I didn’t even know that,” spelled Rumble.
“Me too,” added Scootallo.
“Those were examples of reactions common for many ones,” continued Affi, “but for practical psychology individual reactions are more interesting since there are more subjects to review and because they provide incredible variety. I bet you can remember a couple of examples of strange reactions of your friends or relatives.”
“Yeah,” Sweetie Belle nodded. “I can think of one case. About a year ago I decided to make a surprise applique for Rarity when she was out and show it to her when she comes back. She returned with Applejack and Pinkie Pie. And… Well, I can understand why Rarity got shocked and angry – I used some of her gems. Applejack was surprised, but Pinkie Pie laughed. I still can’t understand why she laughed.”
“Hm… What picture did you make on that applique?”
“Nothing strange, just me and Rarity playing together.”
“Then it’s because they focused on different things when they saw you work. Applejack, as I suppose, noticed the picture itself first so got surprised. Rarity noticed that it was made from gems first so got shocked. And what about Pinkie Pie… Knowing her, I guess she also noticed that your applique had some Rarity’s gems, then noticed Rarity’s reaction and after this laughed.”
“Oh.”
“The degree of surprise also has its effect. If surprise is really strong, reaction may take odd forms. For instance, one story that my colleague and friend Erő told once. Once, when he was studying in Military Academy, he and his friend Szikladarab got the task to clean one small building. They did it quickly, so got bored and decided to bet for fun. Erő said to Szikladarab ‘Hide, and if I won’t find you in thirty minutes, I’ll give you my stipend for this month.’ They shook hooves, and Szikladarab went to hide. It is necessary to mention that his guy was only an inch lower Erő and was even more broad-shouldered. Erő waited a minute and started to search. But he couldn’t find Szikladarab for twenty five minutes. Erő started to worry. And right at this moment commander of their subdivision came there. He was angry, shouted loudly, accusing them in unfair work. After when he shouted that they didn’t even use detergent, he hit one of the nearest nightstands in fit of anger. Its door opened, and… showed Szikladarab. I think no one is able to explain how he got in it. Commander was completely shocked, but quietly asked Szikladarab what he was doing there. Szikladarab, who obviously didn’t expect to see the commander, blurted that he’s looking for detergent. After that commander just closed the door and went away. The surprise was so great that he just couldn’t accept it. He just denied what he had seen.”
“Heh…” some students nervously smiled.
“You mean my brain just can deny things what I see?” surprised First Base.
“Only if it’s incredibly strange, beyond your perception. It’s just a protective mechanism, though it’s odd,” explained Affi.

A short pause followed, then Blade Runner raised his hoof.

“Miss Antilipsi?”
“Yes?”
“I’ve been wondering… I heard about several such cases, but I don’t understand how it can be. How somepony can suddenly became incredibly brave when minutes ago he was scared, when all ponies around are scared?”
“It’s a good question, Blade. The reason of such actions is very specific. You see, in moments of really strong fear you can get so scared you become absolutely indifferent about what will happen to you. You think that your fate is sealed, that you are doomed, that it’s the last moment of your life. You are in desperation. And you think – or, to be precise, use one of the patterns of actions – ‘If so, then nothing will change if I risk, sacrifice myself – at least I’ll spend my life not in vain, somepony will remember me.’ And you do incredibly brave act. Everypony think that you are a daredevil, but really you are week in knees.”
“Fear can make me bold?”
“Yes. Sounds absurdly, but it is so. Yes?” Affi turned to Dinky Doo when she saw that filly raised her hoof.
“Miss Antilipsi, you told about why griffins are greedy and cruel, but why they are so harsh even when everything is fine?”
“Everyone feels comfortable when he or she is dealing with equal. But ways to achieve equality are different for different species. Ponies’ way is to be polite with interlocutor. We don’t show ourselves immediately to avoid any difficulties and awkwardness. Griffins, in their turn, intend to find how strong and tough their interlocutors are. A griffin wants to know that his interlocutor is also powerful to work on an equal footing. That both of them are equally strong. That’s why griffins usually are so cocky.”
“I see…”

After this Affi addressed to all students:

“Now, when we started to talk about individual issues, what do you think about some “group therapy”? If you have problems, I’ll try to solve them. If you don’t want to speak about this, tell me, and we’ll continue our lesson in the same way as it was. If you agree, gave a nod.”

Foals looked at each other.

“We can try, I think,” said Rumble.
“Worth a shot,” said Apple Bloom.

Majority of students agreed.

“Thank you,” Affi bowed. “Now, anypony want to address?”

A pause followed. Foals hesitated. No pony dared for quite a long time, but then lone trembling hoof was raised. It was Scootaloo.

“Yes?” Affi came closer to her.

Little pegasus gulped and began to speak in faltering voice:

“Well… My problem is… I can not learn how to fly. Doctors say I don’t have any disabilities that create obstacles. I… just don’t know what may be the reason!”
“Hm…” Affi rubbed her chin. “Did something happen to you when you started to learn?”
“Wh-what? I don’t understand what you are talking about.”
“Did you have serious mishaps during your first trainings?”

Scootaloo faltered again.

“I… Ehm… Oh… During one of the first trainings I fell from a great height. I badly bruised my back and broke two legs.”
“Then that is your problem.”
“Huh?”
“After bad happenings we start to avoid situations that may lead to the same consequences. This is a mental mechanism, it happens subconsciously. You were hurt when you were learning to fly, so you started to unconsciously avoid it because you afraid that you may get hurt again.”
“I… afraid?”
“Scootaloo’s afraid to fly?” surprised Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom.
“Yes,” researcher nodded. “There’s nothing shameful in it. It’s just an instinct reaction. But it can be cured,” she turned to orange pegasus. “I hold you some therapy sessions and, I guarantee, you can reach the sky very soon.”
“Really?” Scootaloo’s eyes shimmered with hope.
“Just let’s agree for the time suitable for both of us.”
“Sure! Thank you!”

Affi smiled and gave her a nod. After Scootaloo Apple Bloom raised her hoof.

“Pardon me, miss Antilipsi, but Ah want to ask ya a question about mah sister and her friends,” she said.
“Well, what in them bothers you?”
“Ah spent quite a lot of time with them and… They are the bearers of the Elements of Harmony, but sometimes they act just like they represent absolutely opposite things! Ah just can’t understand why.”
“If you have detailed theoretical description, you may get good explanation for a thing. But if you want to master something perfectly, it’s impossible without learning of its opposite. Honesty is impossible without lies, generosity – without greed, loyalty – without treachery, kindness – without malice, laughter – without sadness, magic – without absolute void. Your sister and her friends couldn’t be the bearers if they didn’t know about opposites of their Elements.”

Apple Bloom gave a weak nod of understanding, and almost immediately after this Diamond Tiara asked her question:

“Can you explain one thing, please? Me and Silver Spoon can coax other ponies without difficulties, but Silver Spoon manages to do it without playing scenes and throwing a fit, and I can’t. Why?”

Affi smiled.

“You know, I’ve read some of your files before this lesson,” she said. “And, I must say, your friend is quite talented pony,” researcher looked at Silver Spoon. “She mastered one simple rule that we call “the law of impudence”.”
“The law of impudence?”
“Become brazen so that others won’t notice you.”

Diamond Tiara was stunned. She slowly turned and looked at her friend. Silver Spoon only shrugged awkwardly in response.

They dealt with two more problems before the bell rang. Foals rejoiced and quickly left the classroom: next hour they will spent outside, they will have physical education, which have never been difficult. Only Scootaloo, Affi and Cheerilee remained. Little pegasus agreed with researcher about session time and hurried up to join her friends. Mares left the room the last.

After their deserved ten minutes of rest students gathered on the sportsground. There the next temporary teacher had been waiting for them.

“Hello again!” said Kor. “You’ve spent quite a lot of time in the classroom today already, so let’s take a break and warm up a bit. I’m a graduate of Military Academy, so I know a couple of things about physical training. So, if you want to improve your abilities and strength, I can show you some necessary exercises. Do you agree with this?”
“Yeah!” foals answered.
“Good. And, before we start… maybe somepony want to ask some question for clarification?”
“Um, why your tail is so long?” asked Snails and Snips.

Kor looked at them, saying “Really?” with his expression, but then sighed and gave sarcastic answer:

“To play possum!”
“Huh?”

Researcher approached the nearest tree, stood on forelegs and grabbed a branch with own tail. When he got convinced in the strength of the grip, he removed forelegs and remained hanging upside down. Finally, he spread forelegs like saying “Tada!”

Students looked at him in surprise, then Snips and Snails got two sticks from somewhere and exclaimed:

“Piñata!”

Other foals unanimously supported this offer.

“Wait!” exclaimed Kor, loosened his grip and because of this fell down right on the back of his neck, so barely managed not to lose consciousness. “Ow…” he spelled, rubbing his neck. “Okay, stop fool around and let’s back to lesson.”

Soon young ponies stood in a row near the edge of the sportsground, and Kor gave them some instructions.

“If you want your trainings to be successful, you must define their purpose. Proper physical education should be aimed not only at making you stronger. Strength has no use if don’t know how to apply it, can’t stand for long time and get tired quickly. If you are not a sportpony and don’t need any special trainings, first aim of your exercises should be increase of stamina. Only then improvement of strength stands, together with improvement of dexterity.”
“What we should do for this?” asked Blade Runner.
“Stamina can be increased with simple ways, making baby steps,” said Kor. “For example, just walk or fly more and do chores that require significant physical efforts. Try to do more of these every new day. And soon you’ll see the results.”
“Sounds too easy,” Carrot Crunch said.
“Indeed, but that’s the thing: the easiest way gives really good results.
“Now you got the idea, so let’s switch to the second phase. All of you, as I think, has own plans and wants, so let me help you to pick the best exercises to achieve your goal. So, who wants to be the first?”
“M-me!” Piña Colada quietly said.
“Come!” Kor with a gesture said her to come closer. She slowly approached him, and researcher asked again “So, what’s your goal?”
“Well, I want to become more graceful,” Piña Colada answered shyly. “But… I’m not the most careful pony.”
“What do you like to do?”
“Huh? P-pardon me, but I don’t understand what you want.”
“Exercises should be interesting. You are motivated under such condition and, thus, able to achieve your goal. And easiest way to make exercises interesting is combine them with what you like to do.”
“Well, I like dances.”
“Then dance! Dances are the most perfect exercises for development of grace, especially ones that needs you to be focused.”
“Like what?”
“Hm… Well, you can try log dance, popular among europonian dragons nowadays.”
“A dragon dance?”
“Yes, but don’t be afraid! It’s suitable for all the creatures… with legs. And you don’t even need a log – just make a straight line on ground and here you go.”
“But… how does it look like?”
“I’ll show you.”

Kor stood at the line that separates racetracks and started to dance. Simple rhythmical moves, nothing special, but with one condition: step only at the line. It looked quite odd, but at the same time… it has its own charm.

Researcher stopped after half of a minute and addressed Piña Colada again:

“You shouldn’t perform any special dances – just move like you want. Only don’t step away from the line.”
“I got it! Thank you!” filly smiled.

Immediately after her two more fillies wished to get an advice.

“Mister Erő, what you can recommend in addition to increase the stamina?” asked Aura.
“Yeah!” added her friend Boysenberry.
“Pardon me, but let me ask why you need this?” Kor was surprised.
“Well, we want to take part in the Running of the Leaves this fall, and we want to show ourselves there!”
“Okay, what you usually like to do?”
“Um, I don’t know… Maybe walk, hang around together?” spelled Aura.
“Then continue to walk together, but alternate it with running and some simple exercises, like push-ups and squats, and do it for an hour at least every day, but in the beginning limit yourself with forty minutes. Then you may increase the training time.”
“Got it!”
“Mister Erő, and what you can recommend to become more agile?” asked First Base.
“I wonder too!” added Blade Runner. “We like,” he pointed to himself and First Base, “well, scurry around?”
“Well, start with short obstacle races and gradually, I repeat, gradually, with baby steps, switch to parkour. Parkour is the very thing for you, but you should come to it after some time. Thus you gain experience, remain safe, and… will be able to do something like this…” and giant Kor right before eyes of amazed foals skipped over the tribune in one fell swoop, “…without difficulties!”
“Wow…” uttered Blade Runner.
“Awesome!” exclaimed First Base. “Blade, we should train!”
“Agree!”
“Mister Erő, what can I do to build wing muscles if I can’t do wing push-ups well?” asked Rumble.
“In general, you can fly well?” Kor wondered. “And do you like it?”
“Yeah, and I like to fly.”
“Then use the way of dragons of southern continents: put on a bag, put some weight in it and then fly for some time. You just have to increase the weight gradually, and in three-four month you’ll see the results.”
“Um, mister Erő?” little pink filly with eggplant mane asked quietly.
“Yes?”
“What can I do to control my strength?”
“Control your strength?” Kor heard from miss Cheerilee that this filly, Lily Longsocks, is incredibly gifted with physical power, but he barely believed this. “But… how strong you can be?”

Lily in slow gawky gait approached the tribune without a word and… lifted whole construction with one foreleg.

“Hűha…” Kor spelled. “Well… ain’t that something! Indeed, this is quite a problem.”
“You don’t know what to do?” Lily got worried.
“No, there is a way out for you. I just have to choose the best variant… Hm… Do you like to spend time quietly, for example, just sit or lie on the ground, being relaxed?”
“Well, yeah.”
“Then, I think, some techniques from Eastern Kingdoms may help you. You know, relaxing exercises, meditation. I can show you some basic ones now, and some after school, but that’s all I know. I’m not the expert on this part.”
“Still, thank you! Show me, please!”
“Well, as you wish,” said Kor.

He showed her a couple simple exercises. Lily turned out to be very easy and quickly educable filly: she learned the exercise after only two or three repeats, and achieved good results after the first training – she managed to shake a hoof of other foal without causing him any pain.

Researcher agree with Lily about time of next session and helped four more students to create their own training programs before the lesson was over. Foals, when they heard miss Cheerilee saying that the bell rang, sighed: now they have to return to the classroom. The only thing that made them at least a little glad was that now they will have long lunch break.

So, after a snack, young ponies returned to the lessons with renewed vigor.

The bell rang, and right after it the next temporary teacher entered the classroom. Young colts with bated breathes looked at her when miss Cheerilee presented researchers – now, when she was alone, they just couldn’t look away from this gorgeous tall silver mare with long cardinal mane. At those minutes many of them formed their ideals of mare’s beauty.

“Good day, kids,” meanwhile said Oma. “I’m very happy to see all of you. Today I shall introduce you, probably, one of the most interesting subjects of sociology: differences between societies and their origination. This theme strongly resonates with ethnography – it’s possible to say that both sciences are just like twin sisters here – but they still differ. Ethnography in this field aims to study the phenomenon itself, sociology, in its turn, aims to study the reason of difference, and, secondly, aims to study particular features. I know that many features of other societies look strange for you, and you would like to know how they could form. So, please, ask!”

Indeed, students of miss Cheerilee really wanted to know why other nations differ from equestrians, since many hooves were raised.

“Yes?” Oma addressed Twist who was the nearest to her – she without a second thought decided to move forward from first rows to last.
“Pardon me, miss Didinga,” filly said, “I do not want to offend you, but… europonians are known as quite conflicted ponies in Equestria. What can you say about this?”
“Well, europonians indeed are less peaceable ones. We put the end to our conflicts only one hundred and eleven years ago. So, our nation just haven’t gotten used to true peace yet. This originates from particular features of development of europonian civilization. Equestria was formed as single, unified society, Europonia, in turn, was formed from number of societies that were isolated from each other for some time. Miss Pippi told you how many of them exist.”
“Yes, sixty seven.”
“Because of isolation each society wasn’t like other and has its own interests. So no wonder they started to conflict when they met. Although ‘United with differences’ is europonian national motto now, it took us more than three thousand years to reconcile with these differences.”

Twist gave nod of understanding.

“Yes, Ruby Pinch,” researcher addressed the next student.
“You can tell the reason of differences between all the societies?”
“Yes.”
“Well, many ponies can’t remember any city of Griffin Empire except Praesidium. It looks like there are no cities in Griffin Empire except the capital at all!”
“Indeed, Praesidium is the only big city in Empire. There are only several towns like Ponyville except it. Absolute majority of griffins lives in villages.”
“But why so?”
“The reason of this lies in prehistoric times. You know, griffins are predators originally, and, as miss Antilipsi had already told you, their homeland is poor. So, in order to survive, they started to gather in packs. They had been living like this for millennia. And old habits and traditions tend to persist for very long time. It is one of the main laws of psychology and sociology, and, I bet, you noticed such examples. Griffins preferred to live in their packs even when they formed their civilization. Pack is rather small group, not more than two or three hundreds – just as many as in an average village. Thus, with the passage of time, when griffins settled down, their packs transformed in villages.”
“But, still, why griffins usually so harsh?” asked Dinky Doo. “Miss Antilipsi told us that it’s because they were poor, but it can’t be just that!”
“Harsh land creates severe people. Many ones think that place where you grew is not important, but, in practice, we see that natural environment always has its effect, though it may be little. If you decide to go to university in the equinities, you’ll learn about such thing as geographical determinism. Not all the differences can be explained by this hypothesis, but it has little grain of truth.”
“I know that dragons also have no big cities,” said Rumble. “It is for the same reason that griffins have?”
“And why they are rude and rough?” added Silver Spoon.
“Llamas and alpacas also have no cities!” intervened Apple Bloom. “Why? They ain’t predators!”
“Well, Rumble, dragons do have big cities, and not only in the lands where they are the majority of population – for example, Ževojt city in Dregova. But, yeah, usually they don’t live in cities and towns. However, the reason here is different. Unlike griffins, dragons are loners. It has objective reason: dragons are huge creatures, and it is simply hard to subsist if there are several such creatures near all the time. In order to have enough food for everyone they live separately from each other, each one on his or her own land, and gather together only to create a family and for big events. And reason of dragon’s rudeness is similar to griffin’s: they had to protect their food from others, so regularly conflicted with each other, and thus got harsh character.”
“And why do they migrate?” asked Sweetie Belle.
“Again, everything depends on amount of food available. When dragons eat everything what they could, they migrate. They prefer to act simply.
“Speaking about llamas and alpacas, they have no big cities because they simply have no places where to build them: most of their homeland is mountains and dense forests with trees of two hundred steps height. You just can’t build a big city in small narrow valley or on swampy ground. In their case environment was the reason that entirely formed the habit to live in small settlements.
“Now, what do you want to ask, Blade Runner?”
“Um, well…” colt faltered when Oma addressed him. “Miss Didinga, can you tell how and why these cats’ games appeared?”
“Ah, the legendary Battle Royale of Felia! Well, reasons of this lie in some traits of character typical for all cats. First of all, cats are mavericks and because of this – loners, so they don’t tend to gather in large groups and they aren’t the most friendly creatures. They always compete and fight with each other – for territory, for resources, to establish themselves on high places in society. At the same time, they are very curious. They always eager to look at something interesting for them. Thus, when some cats started to fight, other started to gather to watch the show. They kept doing it for centuries, so when they started to create their states, they just regularized those fights. Gradually it turned into large-scale event with hundreds of thousands watchers, where everyone can show and prove their power and prowess. So now we have the greatest fighting championship in the world,” Oma finished the explanation and turned to the next student. “Yes, Carrot Crunch.”
“My great grandfather once visited Cania. When he returned, he told that dogs are very calm and pacific nation. But everypony knows that army of Cania is one of the fiercest in the world! How can this be?”
“Well, dogs were united since ancient times, and they have always loved their homeland and their nation. Also, dogs are loyal and honest, they always try to behave with dignity. They are friendly with each other and with guests from other lands, but if someone encroaches on their homeland, they fight back with no mercy.
“Yes, Aura?”
“Well, ponies say that zebras are usually harsher than us, but we all know Zecora, she’s a zebra, and she is nice!” filly wondered.
“I don’t want to upset you, but zebras indeed are tough usually. You see, here, in Equestria, you have Everfree forest, the place where monsters live. You avoid it and live in other regions. But there are no such region in zebras’ homeland – all their lands are like one big Everfree forest. They had to live among monster, and you have to be tough if you want to survive.”
“Oh…”

Before the bell rang, researcher explained the reasons of main particular features of all great societies of the world, which significantly differ from equestrian norms and traditions. Foals got surprised with many things, but thanks to Oma’s explanations they realized one thing: if something looks strange to you, it doesn’t mean that it is wrong, and it often has understandable reasons.

Another break, then another lesson. After stretching their legs on the playground, foals returned to the classroom and met tall thin green stallion.

“Hello, kids!” Sheim greeted the students. “Before we start, I’d like to make an announcement. I’m going to teach you a couple of things about geology and geography in general, but… sitting in the classroom and talking about rocks, water and atmosphere is not the best way to learn about nature. So let’s then go outside and see how nature works in reality!”

Unanimous loud “Yay!” and “Yeah!” showed that colts and fillies support this offer.

“Okay, class, follow me!” said Sheim and led foals outside. Cheerilee went with them, remaining behind.

They left the school, and researcher told students how he is going to hold the lesson:

“Okay, here’s the plan. We just walk near the school, and meanwhile I shall explain you some interesting things and phenomena. If you have your own questions – ask, don’t be afraid. If you’ll find something interesting during the walk and want to learn about it – ask. The more you ask the more you know, and the more you know the more doors to the great future you have. So, please!”
“So who are you exactly?” asked Twist.
“I’m a geologist.”
“You know Maud Pie?” asked Sweetie Belle.
“Eeeeee-yep. But let’s not about this now.”
“What’s so interesting can be in stones?” wondered Snips.
“A great many things, my friend. Knowing about rocks you can define where and how to build houses, find water even in the driest desert, take a look at distant past… become rich.”
“That’s interesting…” spelled Diamond Tiara.
“…but you have to learn a lot to achieve these goals, to be true specialist,” continued Sheim. “How much should you learn? Well, for instance, exam on elementary geology in my university looked like this: profs took us to rocky road, and there we should define minerals and rocks that made it. We could pass only if we defined all fifty samples correctly.”
“Aren’t rocks and minerals the same stuff?” wondered Scootallo.
“Not quite,” answered Sheim. “If you have a boulder that consists of only one substance, it is called a mineral. Mineral, in fact, is a sample of a substance that can be found in the ground. If boulder consists of several substances, it is called a rock.”
“Oh, I see now.”
“And do ya still can name all the rocks that ya can see?” asked Apple Bloom.
“You want to test it? Be my guests!” Sheim answered with expression that said that he accepts the challenge.

Foals immediately scattered in all directions to grab a little rock or some pebbles and then returned to researcher. They showed the samples, and he began to name the rocks:

“Granite, andesite, gabbro, peridot, feldspar, diorite, tuff, granite, quartz, tuff, limestone, sandstone, sandstone, marble, feldspar…” and so on. He named all of them instantly. Foals, however, weren’t completely satisfied with this.

“You said both of these is granite?” wondered Aura and Piña Colada, holding pinkish and fulvous pebbles. “But they are absolutely different!”
“Granite is a rock, not mineral, and may consist of several number of substances, my little friends,” researcher explained. “It’s an igneous rock, and how to call it depends on two things: place of origin and content of quartz – silicon dioxide. Pebbles you hold suit the definition of granite: intrusion rock with 30 percent of quartz approximately.”
“How difficult this geology is…” sighed Aura.
“And how such knowledge can help us?” wondered Diamond Tiara.
“Well, let me show you one thing,” Sheim addressed Dinky who held small pegmatite boulder with her magic. “Can I take your stone?”
“Oh, sure!” she said.
“Thank you. Now, step back.”

Foals surprised, but did what Sheim said, and then researcher threw the boulder to the nearest big rock. Piece of pegmatite hit the massive and crackled. Sheim came to the rock, took a piece of broken boulder and showed it to foals.

“Look here,” he said, pointing to the piece. “See little bright red spots?”
“Yeah,” students nodded.
“It’s garnet. A gemstone.”
“What?”
“It’s just grains, but they can be found in many igneous and metamorphic rocks. A little more knowledge and practice will help you find bigger ones. And… well, you always will be with full wallets.”

This demonstration finally convinced foals that geology is cool science. They wanted to learn more, so actively started to look for interesting and weird things.

“Mister Lierre, what’s this?” asked Ruby Pinch, holding small yellowish stone with greasy luster. “It crumbles…”
“Ah!” researcher smiled and took the stone from filly. “It’s vermiculite, one of the micas. All minerals of this group easily crumple because they have layered structure. It is very good insulating material. And… it has one very interesting property. Um, kids, does anyone of you know the flame creation spell?”
“I know,” said Dinky Doo.
“Excellent. Now we need some brushwood.”

In couple of seconds Snails and Snips brought big dry stump. Where these colts could find it among small bushes was a mystery, and Sheim together with many others decided not to ask about it. Nevertheless, they had firewood. It was possible to lit fire.

Dinky casted the spell, and stump turned into giant torch. Researcher told foals to wait for some time, then, when the flame got stronger, he threw the vermiculite stone in fire.

“Now, don’t be afraid!” he said.

Foals – and miss Cheerilee – were surprised, bet soon they understood why researcher said so: with loud hissing and crackling real fire snake was crawling out from flames. They just stood in awe. Meanwhile Sheim extinguished the stump with sand from the track.

“Wh-what was that?!” exclaimed Silver Spoon.
“Vermiculite significantly increases in volume when it is heated enough,” explained Sheim. “It’s believed that legends of fire snakes appeared because of this. Impressive sight, isn’t it?” he approached the expanded piece of vermiculite and gently touched it. Heated rock turned to dust.
“Yeah… Cool!” exclaimed some foals and ran to stock up some vermiculite.

They continued their walk and searches, and soon loud joyful scream of Diamond Tiara showed that another interesting finding was made. Teachers and other pupils gathered near her to look at it, but pink filly didn’t show what she found.

“So what did ya find?” asked Apple Bloom.
“Nothing! None of your business,” snapped Diamond Tiara.
“Diamond Tiara, show, please,” asked Cheerilee.

Filly sighed and showed. Other foals gasped: she held a piece of gold! However, Sheim was skeptical.

“Can I take it?” he asked.

Diamond Tiara didn’t want to part with her new precious, but she was asked by teacher, so she had to deal with it. She gave the finding to researcher. Sheim thanked her, weighed the piece on his hoof, looked at it closer and returned the rock to Diamond Tiara.

“Well, you can keep it for yourself,” he said. “It can be good decorative element.”
“What???” filly exclaimed.
“It’s not gold, Diamond Tiara, it’s pyrite. Real gold is three times heavier.”
“Pyrite… Oh, I know!” exclaimed Sweetie Belle. “Fool’s gold!”

Other foals chuckled. Face of Diamond Tiara turned into standard of red color.

Sheim didn’t comment on this incident and just said to go further. They continued the walk, and soon another student came to researcher with his finding.

“It looks like glass, though it’s black!” said First Base when he was giving the stone to Sheim.
“Well, you are right,” researcher responded when he looked at it closer. “It’s volcanic glass, obsidian.”
“Wait, volcanic? There are no volcanoes here! Where it could come from?”
“From there,” Sheim answered, pointing at… Canterlot mountain.
“What?” students exclaimed.
“There are no volcanoes here now, but they were here in past. And Canterlot mountain… Well, it has column-like mass of quite fresh igneous rocks right in its center, all gem deposits of Canterlot are vein-like and stretch from the center of the mountain – all this and some other signs show that Canterlot mountain is a volcano. Dormant one.”
“No… way!”
“But it’s so.”

He paused to give students some time to accept this information. After some more explanations Sheim managed to calm foals down, and they realized that they have nothing to fear.

Soon researcher was asked again: Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle wanted to learn about their findings. Scootaloo wondered why black stone what she found shone with all colors of rainbow.

“This phenomenon is called iridescence,” Sheim explained. “It happens because of microscopic differences of surface structure. The smallest crystals are not oriented in the same direction, so they reflect light differently. Because of reflection some characteristics of light change, and, thus, you have your own little rainbow.
“And what do you have, Sweetie Belle?”
“Well, I found this transparent crystal, but it’s not quartz or any gem,” she said, giving the pebble to Sheim. “I saw many different gems spending time with Rarity and I haven’t seen something like that.”
“Hm…” researcher took the crystal, examined it for some time, but everything got clear when he looked through it. “It is Iceland spar. Not the rarest mineral, but very specific.”
“Why it is special?”
“Look through it,” Sheim answered, giving pebble back to filly.

Little unicorn held the crystal with her magic, did what teacher told her and gasped.

“Sweetie Belle!” Scootaloo worried.
“Everything doubles when I look through it!” agitated filly responded.
“It’s called birefringence. It makes Iceland spar very valuable for optics,” said Sheim.
“Cool!” exclaimed orange pegasus when she looked through the crystal too.
“Um, mister Lierre?” researcher heard a voice, turned to its source and saw Piña Colada. She looked very bemused.
“What happened?” Sheim asked.
“I found a rock shell near the track,” filly said, showing her finding.

Indeed, it was a clamshell: elliptical form, corrugated surface, but it was made of solid piece of limestone.

“Well, congratulations, Piña Colada!” researcher smiled. “You found a fossil!”
“Fossil?” she and some other foals who heard them surprised.
“Yes, a fine example. A shell of an ancient clam.”
“W-wait, clam?” surprised Twist. “The nearest sea is in thousand miles away!”
“It is now. But few million years ago it was here. And this fossil is the proof.”
“How can it be?”
“Come here, kids,” researcher spelled and with gesture said to sit near him. “I’ll tell you about distant past of your homeland or, speaking the language of science, paleogeography. The continent where Equestria is had formed an incredible number of years ago: approximately four billion,” foals gasped. “But in those times it looked absolutely differently. It was an archipelago of mountainous and volcanic islands. When the earth crust formed, it started to move because of active internal forces of our planet. The crust crumpled, and thus mountains formed. In the process of time they got bigger, formed islands, and those islands merged with each other. So, gradually, whole continent was formed. After this active mountain formation stopped, and peaks began to disappear. They denuded. Their height reduced, their tops became flat, and after few hundred million years there was a plain instead of mountains, the land mass was a solid craton. It took approximately one and a half billion years. After this for two point three billion years it was relatively stable. From time to time it sank down and got flooded with ocean waters and turned into shallow sea. There were six such epochs, during which different parts of the continent were touched. But two hundred million years ago everything changed. Intensive mountain formation began in our, Europonian and Eastern Kingdoms’ Great Land continent. It significantly affected Equestria continent and initiated new epoch of mountain formation here. Because of strong tectonic moves of Great Land Equestria continent just broke into several parts, sub-cratons. They collided with each other and thus formed all the mountains that you know now. Together with mountains volcanoes appeared again. Sub-cratons moved not only horizontally, but also vertically: some of them became plateau, other – sea bottom. Only two dozen million years ago they relatively stabilized, and last sub-craton got free from ocean. Speaking about Ponyville area, the last sea left it approximately fifty million years ago. All this is called Hyppoic orogeny, in honor of Hyppoic range where Canterlot stands. Tectonic moves gradually fade nowadays, but from time to time they remind of themselves. That’s how shapes of your homeland formed.”

Foals were fascinated with this. Researcher’s story sounded like a legend, like a fairy tale, but it was all true. However, after it students asked great number of questions about how such information was obtained. Sheim had to tell them all what he knew about difficult paleogeographic methods in the simplest way to make it understandable to students of elementary school. He was doing it until the end of the lesson.

They returned to the school right before the break began and met Bluve near the entrance.

“Don’t go anywhere!” she said to foals. “After the break we will gather here and go for another stroll!”

Kids had nothing against it – they were glad to spend time outdoors, away from desks, backboards and textbooks. So, when they had their rest, they came to the school porch. Bluve greeted them again, and they went to the town park.

“Well, kids, I know that you’ve already had a biology lesson,” researcher said. “However, my friend Zicht spoke primarily about pony anatomy, I’ll tell you about other fields of biological science – zoology and botany. If you have questions about how live nature works – feel free to ask!”

Apple Bloom was the first.

“Ah do not quite understand this, but… why many trees shed their leaves in the fall, and some of them not?”
“Good question. This phenomenon has several reasons. First, trees shed their leaves in order to protect themselves from water deficit, since water loss occurs primarily through leaves during all the season. Second, leaves – except flowers – are the gentlest organs of plants and can be easily damaged by frost, so plants just get rid of them to avoid greater damages. Third, via leaf fall plants get rid of the excess minerals. Also, photosynthesis is impossible during winter because plants need liquid water for it. Why some trees don’t shed their leaves – well, their leaves have wax coating that protects them from frost and reduces water loss. All first plants were evergreen – leaf fall mechanism appeared later as better regulator of metabolism.”
“And why do they turn yellow?”
“Leaves are green because of chlorophyll, the very substance responsible for photosynthesis. Intensity of photosynthesis decreases in the fall because of low temperatures and lack of sunlight, so chlorophyll becomes just unnecessary. It turns into other substances that have other colors. If there is no chlorophyll in leaves, then they are not green.”
“Oh, now Ah get it!”
“Miss Calma!” asked Aura. “I’ve been always wondering how it’s possible to breathe underwater.”
“Well, water is great solvent which can dissolve almost all the substances, including air and oxygen in it. There are many oxygen molecules in the water, so… Sounds silly, but water creatures have air to breathe, in fact. But they need to absorb it from water. They have gills for this purpose. Gills are the organs with tissues that have incredible amount of microscopic pores, just the right size to absorb oxygen particles. Many water creatures have gills connected with oral cavity, so they swallow water and flow it through gills for filtration to breathe. Other creatures filtrate oxygen from water directly, because their gills aren’t connected with mouth.”
“Miss Calma, can you tell why birds fly to the south every fall and how do they carry out such flights?” asked Rumble.
“The main reason of bird’s migration is the same that reason of dragon’s: food. Many birds just have no food suitable for them during winter, so they fly to the places where they can find it. The second reason is that these birds usually do not tolerate cold weather. And how do they do it – well, many birds have so-called “built-in compass” that helps them to orientate by magnetic poles. Also, they do the same things that you, pegasi: remember noticeable and easy recognizable objects and use them as additional landmarks.”
“Then why do they go astray sometimes?”
“Well, you can always lose a landmark, and compasses do not always work well. Especially near places with strong electromagnetic field.”
“Why do some animals hibernate? And how they can sleep for months?” asked Lily Longsocks. She was bothered why she can’t see and be with her pet hedgehogs during winters.
“Living beings hibernate because of one reason: lack of subsistence in winter. Unlike birds, land animals have rather limited possibilities for seasonal migration. They had to solve the problem of shortage of food in winter with another way. Hibernation was perfect way out. How animals can spend several months like this? Well, it is possible because of one feature of all creatures. It sounds horrible, but our organisms consume themselves if there is no other subsistence available. It’s a survival mechanism, and organism aims to survive at any cost. So, some animals developed the following pattern of actions using this feature: they eat as much as they want when there’s enough food, accumulate additional weight that organism can consume without any harm, and when there is no food, they slow down their metabolism, go to sleep and exist like this until they can get enough food again. Some creatures like us, ponies, can find food during all the seasons, so they have no need in hibernation. Well, something like this.”
“Oh, I see…”
“Miss Calma!” Twist asked. “Can you tell why hydra and some more creatures like it have many heads?”
“Well…” Bluve faltered. It was a problematic issue: almost all physiological properties of local creatures could be explained by regularities known for terran living beings since they were very close, but to answer this question she had to use information from research carried out on another planets, as there were no many-headed by nature beings on Terra. She had to be very, very careful choosing and processing the information. “Creatures usually develop few heads on one body for the following reasons: very large body or lack of limbs. If creature has very large body, one head often is simply not enough to look around and check what’s going on with its body. Thus more heads develop. Another case if creature has small number of limbs. Then heads – usually on long necks – play role of additional limbs. Like earth ponies and pegasi use their mouths to write. Knowing that hydras have only two legs, and they have five brains – one in each head and “main controller” in the body – I guess the second reason is more applicable.”
“Reasons are not so difficult, as it turned out.”
“The most rational ways usually are the simplest.”

Before the stroll ended, Bluve told students why some fruits are sweet while other are sour, how creatures can orientate at great depth without any sunlight, how creatures can live in such great depth at all, how can some fishes be faster than fastest ships and boats and how ants can lift things ten times heavier than themselves without difficulties and any harm.

When they returned to the school, foals ran to the playground. Cheerilee reminded them that they have one more lesson, so no pony should go away. Fillies and colts sighed, but obeyed – at least, they have to wait not for long.

The penultimate bell rang, marking the beginning of the last lesson. Foals returned to the classroom. There the last temporary teacher greeted them.

“Hello, kids!” said Zet’rar. “I know that I’m the last obstacle on your way to long-awaited freedom, but, please, be patient and wait a little more.
“I’m an engineer, so, if you have questions about how things are made, ask! I can explain large part of all technical processes.”

Several students raised their hooves. Foals were tired after so many lessons, but they still wanted to learn more. It made researcher happy.

“I don’t exactly understand how locomotives can move. Can you tell more about this?” asked First Base.
“Sure. It would be better if I explain this with a scheme,” researcher said, put on special hoof bracelet with a mount for a writing utensil, took a chalk and started to draw. He made the scheme in half of a minute. When it was done, he started to explain, pointing at corresponding parts of the drawing. “Well, that’s how it works. Here we have the combustion chamber. This is the part that needs coal and that makes smoke. It produces heat that warms water tank here to boiling. Steam flows through the tubes in this cylinder with piston. All substances expand when they are heated, but volume of tank and pipes is limited. This creates very high pressure in all parts of the system, and gradually it reaches the cylinder. Piston is a movable part, so excessive pressure makes it move. And this, via the transmission system here, drives the wheels of the locomotive. Steam that made piston move gets cold. Because of inertia piston moves backwards and push the cooled vapor away, but now – to this tube, which leads to the tank. Some steam loses because piston is not sealed, but greatest part returns to the tank. Then the cycle repeats, and so on and so on. That’s how locomotives move.”
“Oh, I see…”
“And what about self-propelled machines of minotaurs and ponies of Eastern Kingdoms?” asked Blade Runner.
“They are driven through a similar principle,” answered Zet’rar. “There is just one difference in engine structure. Steam machines are external combustion engines, because steam is the thing that creates movement, the working mass. Fuel is used just to create steam. But ponies of Easter Kingdoms and minotaurs thought ‘Why do we need steam, if we can use the fuel itself as working mass and thus make the engine more compact?’ And they did it. They built engines where gas or liquid fuel is burned right in the cylinders. The scheme is similar: ignited fuel expands, moves the piston and this makes whole vehicle to move via the transmission system. You can forget about huge tank and bulky tubes. Since fuel is the working mass here, such engines are called internal combustion engines.”
“If it’s so simple, then why we don’t use it?”
“Equestrians and europonians don’t use these engines because fuel what they need is rather harmful for environment. Coal is just a stone, but fuel for internal combustion engines is toxic. However, smoke from coal and that fuel are equally dangerous…”
“Mister Allegro, and how do speakers work?” asked Sweetie Belle.
“Any sound is a wave that spreads through air or other environment. More simply, it’s a vibration of matter. So any sound can be made with corresponding vibration. It’s just a matter of frequency, amplitude and other wave parameters. That’s how it works.”
“All the sound are simple vibrations?” little unicorn was very surprised.
“Well, yes. But what a variety they can create!”
“Mister Allegro, can you tell how batteries work?” asked Dinky Doo. “I just can’t understand how they can produce electricity!”
“Well, you know what atom is and what it is made of, right?”

Dinky gave a nod.

“Electricity is just set of phenomena caused by movements and changes of state of some parts of atoms, electrons. All this can be caused by chemical reactions. Some reactions are so strong that they produce intense flow of electrons and, thus, quite significant amount of electricity. Knowing about this property, we created electrochemical cells. Their structure is simple,” Zet’rar made small drawing on the side of engine scheme. “There are two electrodes, cathode and anode. Cathode is in the center, it is made of substance that accepts electrons. The cylinder of anode, the source of electrons, surrounds it. They are separated with dielectric, a substance that doesn’t conduct electricity, but all this system is placed in electrolyte, a liquid that conducts electricity. Usually cathode is made of metal oxides, and anodes – from pure metals. All this, put in a shell, is a battery. Environment in batteries is favorable for chemical reaction that results in formation of significant electron flow, so you get some voltage. That’s the secret.”
“Oh, I understand now. Thank you!”
“Can you tell how legendary armor dresses of Eastern Kingdoms are made?” wondered Silver Spoon.
“There are two secrets. First, these dresses consist of several layers of fabric, and each layer made of threads thoroughly intertwined with each other. Such structure makes fabric much more durable. Second, these dresses are made of threads of spider web, which is very durable material itself. For example, cable made of spider web can withstand greater weight than steel cable of the same diameter.”
“Spider web? But its threads are so thin!”
“You know, Eastern Kingdoms have some really big spiders.”
“How big are they?” asked Diamond Tiara.
“You can easily ride on their backs.”
“What?”
“Ew! Gross!” Silver Spoon winced.
“Easter Kingdoms border with lands of monsters of Great Land, don’t forget about this.”
“Um, mister Allegro, can you explain building technologies?” asked Piña Colada.
“Sure. What do you want to ask, Piña Colada?”
“Well, I’m fascinated by Road of Peace between Cania and Felia, and I always wanted to know how it was built,” she said.

Road of Peace and history and technology of its construction were one of the first things that researchers learned from their colleagues from Teams Fifteen and Sixteen. It was absolutely incredible, one hundred and forty kilometers long, transport system that joined two continents through four straits and three islands. It was a real miracle for civilization of this level, to build sixty five kilometers long tunnel under water and suspension bridge with five kilometers long main span. They amazed people all around the world and made citizens of Felia and Cania very respected.

“You mean how they could build Bone Strait Tunnel and Two Towers Bridge?”
“Yes!”
“Well, they could do it because they used the latest technologies. They didn’t build the tunnel like they – and we – usually do, piercing through rock mass. They used so-called immerse tubes. Using special mechanisms called dredgers they dug a trench on the strait’s bottom, then they sank already finished sealed sections of the tunnel one by one. When next section was in the right place in front of previous, they cut the sealing partitions and joined the sections. After all they just put some sand on the tunnel tube for better isolation. They also built four evacuation and ventilation platforms throughout the tunnel. Their construction wasn’t something special – they used ordinary caissons. The sea there is shallow. What about Two Tower Bridge, its construction became possible because of one of latest achievements of cats and dogs: creation of graphite threads, as they call it. Turned out that if you heat graphite with some particular magic gems, you can get the most durable and strong fiber in the world,” in reality, adding of gems caused intense formation of nanotubes in graphite somehow, but Zet’rar didn’t tell this because no one on this planet knew what carbon nanotubes are. “Also these threads are relatively light. Having such wonderful material, it was possible to improve significantly the construction of suspension bridges: new light and extremely durable threads replaced heavy steel. Both cats and dogs have enough graphite and gems in their lands to make these threads, they had no problems with making them. The only problem was that they had to increase proportionally the height of pylons, the towers that support the cable, but it was solved with help of dragons of southern continent which know how to make heavy-duty concrete – the main secret ingredients are volcanic ash and inorganic resin – and have experience in super-high construction. Because, well, ordinary multi-storey building for dragons turns into super-high construction since average dragons are huge.”
“Wow… Thank you!”
“Um, mister Allegro?” asked Twist. “What you can say about legendary elephant moving statues?”
“Ah, kusonga sanamu! Indeed, it is true legend, the finest example of elephants’ craftsmanship, and greatest mystery for very long time. But now the main secret of kusonga sanamu is known, and students in Europonia and some other countries study it. You see, moving statues have no engine. There was no such technology when first ones were built. Kusonga sanamu use another mechanism to move. Its main part is bimetallic spring. Bimetallic means this spring consists of two metal strips joined together. As I told you, all materials expand when they are heated, but degree of this expansion is different for different materials. Thus, bimetallic spring moves when it gets heated or cooled. Elephants developed very complex transmission mechanism to turn moves of springs into moves of limbs. And they equipped each part of statues with its own propeller. Using magic gems they control temperature and thus make statues move like they need. There is only one mystery now: composition of alloys that elephants use for springs. None of known ones ain’t that effective.”

Zet’rar told about how llamas and alpacas learned to make any wood plastic like clay without any magic and how marsupials created device that allows jump on two hundred steps before the last bell rang. The experimental lessons day was over. Researchers thanked students for warm welcome, interest and patience, Cheerilee thanked Team One for assistance once again, foals thanked them for incredibly interesting and easy school day and said that they will be happy to have more such lessons. To hear these words was the best gratitude for a mentor.

School day was over. Foals grabbed their bags and rushed home. Researchers and Cheerilee left the school after them, and teacher closed empty building. They exchanged thanks again – Cheerilee for a break in hard teacher’s weekdays, researchers for a free day from castle works – said good bye to each other and went home to have deserved rest.

“Well, that was very curious experience,” said Affi, when school remained behind the first turn.
“Indeed,” Edez agreed. “Almost thousand years have passed since the last time I gave some lessons in schools.”
“Teaching practice?” wondered Bluve.
“Yeah.”
“I don’t remember when someone listened to me so attentively,” said Max.
“Me too,” Zet’rar added.
“I also was watched with utmost attention,” noted Oma.
“Oma, it’s impossible for a male pony not to watch you with utmost attention,” said Zet’rar. “Unless if this pony is two years old.”
“True,” Oma agreed after slight sigh.
“I guess we motived many foals to be scientists today,” said Sheim.
“And that’s wonderful!” Edez and Affi smiled.
“Dang!” Karin suddenly exclaimed.
“What’s wrong?” surprised Kor.
“I remembered that I forgot some my notes in the Castle,” she answered. “I’ll run there to take them. Go, don’t wait for me.”
“Okay.”

She rushed to the residence of princess of friendship, other researchers continued their walk to the home.

Karin quickly ran along town streets, and soon crystal towers of the Castle were in front of her. She jumped on the pedestal of the main staircase, opened the door and ran to the second floor. The Castle was empty – probably Twilight and Spike were at one of their friends’ place. Karin swept through the corridor and got to where she left her notes, the room reserved for little private talks. She put them into her bag and went to the main hall. But now she heard a sigh, moving to the exit. Researcher stopped and stepped to the side to find who it was. She made a turn and got to the corridor that led to the main balcony. There she saw Spike sitting on a small couch. He was saddened, his head was lowered, and his eyes fell on a picture of white unicorn mare with violet mane.

Karin immediately guessed the reason of his sadness. Poor little guy… Unrequited feelings are terrible thing. Researcher breathed a little and went to him. She couldn’t leave him like that, she wanted to help him – at least, give some reassurance and comfort.

“Spike?” she quietly said.
“Huh?” little dragon surprised when he heard a voice. “Oh, it’s you, Pippi. What are you doing here?”
“Taking some my notes what I forgot about,” Karin answered. “And what are you doing? Where’s Twilight?”
“Twilight is helping Applejack with organization of Sisterhooves social. And I… just sit here.”
“Being despondent?”

Spike surprised again, but then noticed that Karin with her glance pointed at the picture of Rarity in his paws. Little dragon sighed heavily.

“Bad luck again?” researcher tried to guess.
“No,” Spike shook his head. “I just carried some things to my room, found it among other stuff, looked at it, dreamed… but then remembered about my attempts and what results they had and…”

He lowered his head again. Karin put hoof on his shoulder and was about to say something comforting, but suddenly a spark ignited in her eyes and her lips formed a smile.

“You know… You should not cease. Continue and try something new.”
“But… what?” Spike was surprised with researcher’s sudden suggestion.
“I’ll tell you one little secret. Each girl likes to be happy, even if she hides it. And one of the best ways to make a girl happy is a pleasant surprise. Just do something unexpected that make her happy, and you’ll win her favor.”
“I see, but… I have no idea what can I do to surprise Rarity!”
“Hm…” Karin rubbed her chin. “I think I have one. Spike, invite her to dance.”
“Invite… to dance?” Spike was taken aback with Karin’s idea. “But… I don’t know how, and I’m short…”
“Don’t worry, I’ll teach you.”
“What? Really?”
“Yes. I will be perfect partner for you now since I’m short too. If you learn how to dance with me, you’ll easily adapt to dance with normal mare. Just be sure and do not doubt.”
“I-I’m ready!”
“Wonderful! Come here. Take my left hoof with your right paw, and put your left paw on my waist…”

Karin took off the saddlebag and stood on hind legs. Spike did what she said, researcher put her right hoof on Spike’s shoulder, and they began to learn.

Researcher told him how to move his paws, how he should step. Then they took first try. Slowly, carefully circling, they repeated simple pas’. Spike understood everything from the first time, but because of worrying made some mistakes. However, after two or three repeats he became more confident and did everything right. After basic moves they passed to more difficult ones.

“Um… Spike, can you do a carry?” Karin asked when she taught Spike another move.
“After working as a porter for Rarity – no problem,” little dragon answered.
“As you say.”

And she showed how to do it, continuing the training. It wasn’t any specific dance. Karin showed Spike elements of waltz, tango and some other dances. Nothing extraordinary – just the basis. However, considering the aim of training, it was enough for a beginner.

After eighty minutes of training, when all main elements were repeated, Karin said:

“Well, let’s see what you learned today.”
“Okay,” responded Spike.

And they tried a real dance. Just a minute of slow circling with some gentle elements, but… Although Spike had only one lesson, he did everything perfectly. He tried very hard. Watching each step, circling, making the carry… It was admirable.

“Did I make it out?” Spike asked when they finished.
“Absolutely,” Karin answered, smiling, and then kissed little dragon on the forehead, making him blush with it. “You are ready. Go for it!”
“Thank you!”
“Thank you too. Bye!” Karin took her saddlebag and, waving to Spike went away.

She left the Castle smiling. Now Spike must be lucky.





Meanwhile in Dodge City another alien was busy with his occupation. After getting sufficient energy-information nourishment Quasi wondered what material food can suit him. So he went to one of the city’s bars to taste different dishes and drinks.

He sat at the edge of the bar and made small orders from time to time. He did it for thirty minutes, for an hour, for two… He didn’t watch the time. He was taking rest before the start of the implementation of main task of the mission – it was possible to allow such thing. A couple of times other ponies addressed him. He exchanges some words with them, but then conversations usually stopped. Quasi wasn’t interested in other ponies now, and other ponies weren’t interested in him. So he just focused on bar’s menu.

Amazing. Local food could satisfy even a dead stomach. Very good. And it would be the best if majority of all the dishes weren’t made from beans. Drinks here also were good. Especially the ones called “brandy” and “whiskey”. Nice little mental effect. Wonderful biofuel. People of ga’ke appreciate it when this world will be annexed.

Time passed, and situation around had changed. After another glass of whiskey Quasi looked around and found that he was the only pony in the bar. He looked at the nearest clock. Seven minutes before the saloon closes. Time to go. He put his hoof in the pocket to take some bits to pay when he heard a laugh. He turned his head and saw barpony returning from storeroom after leave-talking with his colleague. Barpony, still with tears of laughter in his eyes, came to Quasi and said:

“Hey, want to hear a joke? I bet ya’ll laugh so hard ya drop yer jaw!”
“Like this?” Quasi responded, moved his jaw and… In front of surprised barpony visitor’s mandible separated from the head and fell on the table.

Shocked barpony looked at mandible, then at gaping hole on Quasi’s head, rolled his eyes and with quiet “Ooohhhhh…” fell down unconscious. Quasi looked at him, joined the mandible back as if nothing has happened and said:

“Weakling.”

And, having left the bits for food and drinks on the table, he left the bar.

The job starts tomorrow…





Five ponies descended to dark basement of Dodge City hospital, following one of the doctors. They entered the narrow damp badly-lit corridor and stopped near gray door with small nameplate on it. “Room 8. Morgue.” was written on it. Doctor opened the door and with a gesture said to come in. Ponies of Second Department gave a nod and walked in.

“Here he is,” autopsist said, coming to one of the cameras and opening it.

Intelligence officers came closer. Autopsist removed the covering from the body. When they saw it, even Hidden Path shuddered. All what remained from victim’s neck was just two big lacerations.

“What did you find?” Hidden Path asked.
“Well, he died not because of decapitation. His head was torn off when he was already dead,” autopsist answered.
“Then what was the reason of death?” Dim Silhouette asked.

Doctor said “Prepare yourselves,” and opened the mouth of victim with his magic and illuminated the oral cavity with flashlight. Intelligence officers shuddered again: oral cavity was disfigured with huge punctures.

“But even this was not the cause. These wounds weren’t able to cause immediate death. He died because all processes in his brain and magic heart immediately stopped for some reason. They were just… devastated. Like someone stole his magic, life and mind. We have no idea who or what could do such thing.”
“Honestly, neither do I,” spelled Hidden Path. “None of known monsters is capable of it.”
“Hm…” Grace leaned over the head of victim. “That’s strange.”
“What’s strange?” Razor Edge surprised.
“These bruises have already been there when you found the body?” she asked autopsist, pointing to small hematomas near the ears and angle of mandible.
“Uhm, yes,” doctor answered.
“These bruises are too small even for deer’s hooves. Head of this stallion was grabbed by fingers.”
“But only creatures with such big paws are dragons and constellation beasts! None of them was spotted near the town.”
“They are arranged symmetrically,” Dim Silhouette spelled, looking at the hematomas. “Just like this… being had cargo grab instead of a paw!”
“Razor, collect the dust from his head,” Cloudbreaker said to Razor Edge.

Unicorn gave a nod and closed his eyes. His broken horn and head of victim covered with gleam. Razor Edge focused, and the smallest particles started to lift from the head. In a minute of careful work Razor Edge managed to create a little sphere of dust. When it was done, Cloudbreaker approached the sphere and sniffed the dust.

“Well?” Hidden Path said.
“He was grabbed by something metal,” Cloudbreaker spelled in response.
“What?”
“No… No!” uttered Dim Silhouette.
“What’s happening?” autopsist asked quietly.
“The something that killed this stallion was artificial,” answered Hidden Path. “There are no beats with metal claws in nature. Among all other creatures, it could be done only by small dragons or minotaurs or natives of Lands of Monsters in armor, but police report that there were only two ordinary dragons in three miles away from the city. So it’s not them too.”
“But… you can find who did it?”
“We can only guess. For now.”