• Published 7th Dec 2015
  • 1,384 Views, 31 Comments

Exploring Equestria - A_guy_from_Earth



A story about adventures of alien researchers in Equestria.

  • ...
2
 31
 1,384

1. Discovery


It was ordinary late evening. Only two researches, the night shift, remained at the central communication station of Central Planetology Institute of the Union. Automatic probes sent their signals as they should, receivers worked evenly, cores processed. Everything was calm. It seemed that absolutely nothing will happen in following hours. So researches just sat before monitors and holoscreens of main terminal and whiled away their time.

“Gimme a second…” muttered first. “Aha! Dje-Oirth.”
“Themegatou,” second said flatly, looking at his opponent.
“Ouzxay.”
“Wait, where is it? I don’t remember this planet.”
“It’s in God’s Eye Galaxy, Sector 54.”
“Oh, okay then… Hm… Yedeiz.”
“Szeit’f.”
“Dude, we agreed to use common phonetic alphabet!”
“Oops, my bad… Zeiregozh.”
“Zhulethezh.”
“Damn you… Ehm… Zhad’poakh.”
“Kg… Pardon me, Khaqod.”
“…”

He only prepared to answer, when signal sounded throughout the whole station. Loud alarm made first researched choke and made second spotted. In a second after this communication projection appeared on the central holoscreen. Face on it had clear and sharp lines – true sign of artificial subintelligence.

“Oh, excuse me please, sir Idszem, sir Aokg! I didn’t want to scare you!” projection said beseechingly.
“Y-you are f-forgiven…” answered Idszem, the first researcher, turning to the projection. “A…”
“ASI Kepo, Probe 514, was sent to Equalcross Dwarf Galaxy, sir.”
“Next time don’t act like that, okay?” said Aokg, the second scientist.
“Yes, sir, but… I just acted according to the protocol.”
“Never mind. And now… explain, why you called for five days ahead of schedule?” Idszem addressed to ASI.
“Well, sirs, you see… I made a discovery.”
“And what kind of discovery?”
“Class eight finding.”

Researches were taken aback. But soon they recovered.

“WHAAAT???” they exclaimed.
“Yes, sirs, eight class,” confirmed Kepo.
“You mean that… new separate civilization?” Aokg spelled.
“Yes.”
“A-and on what level are they?” Idszem asked.
“Highest precosmic, sir.”
“Incredible! New sapient species!” Aokg exclaimed.
“A-allow me precise, sir. There are several species.”
“S-s-several? At one planet?”
“Yes, sir.”

Scientists got even more wonderstruck.

“A-are you all right, sirs?” Kepo worried.
“What planet is it?” shouted Aokg.
“Yeah, give the coordinates! Galactic ones!” added Idszem.
“Yes, sirs! 000-5-1-735,6774-452,9012-501,2883 (3).”
“That region?” both scientists surprised and switched on star map hologram. “But we thought that only lonely star is there!”
“Well, sirs, first surveys still aren’t always accurate.”
“Did you make all the scans?” asked Aokg.
“Yes, sir.”
“Wow! Just wow! Man, such discoveries didn’t happen over the last three or even four generations! We should inform administration of the Institute!”
“No, wait! We should inform all the departments and administration!” exclaimed Idszem.
“All the departments? Why? They all are connected!” his colleague wondered.
“They all are interested in this!”
“They can easily communicate!”
“It’s the matter of organization!”
“I don’t see any difference.”
“There is big difference!”

Researches angrily looked at each other, then, suddenly, on holoscreen, like they wanted to hear answer from it.

“Sirs, I’m just an artificial subintelligence!” gibbered surprised Kepo.

Idszem and Aokg sighed.

“Okay, have it your way,” said Aokg. “We’ll send messages to each department and to administration.”
“A-ad-d-dminis-stration?” ASI asked in trembling voice.
“Yes, Kepo, what’s the problem?” wondered Idszem.
“You see, sirs, I just never sent messages to any chiefs…”
“Don’t worry! It’s not worse than jump into a collapsar! We’ll help you!”
“Yes. – Aokg added, - And now let’s start to work.”

Researches and ASI began to inform all departments of Central Planetology Institute and all its branches. And since that moment with every minute number of enthusiastic sentients got greater and greater. News spread rapidly, and soon population of millions of planets in hundred great galaxies was rapturous.

It was discovery of the millennium!





Emergency Council was convened on the following day. Hundreds and hundreds of scientists, diplomats, officers and journalists arrived on Ateir, the Great Intersection, central world of the Union to discuss the event. Number of guests appeared to be so great that organizers from the Institute, where the Council had to sit in session, didn’t find suitable hall all over the complex. So they had to move to one of planet’s great Arenas to gather everyone.

It took all invited about four hours to get there. When the last ones arrived, heads of the Institute took their places at long table on the stage, live broadcast was started and doors were closed. The session began.

Avalanche of questions came immediately:

“Is information about this discovery truly reliable?”
“How developed are they?”
“It was found in Equalcross Galaxy? But probability of emergence of sapient species in such small star clusters is very small!”
“We heard that there are several sapient species on that planet. Is it true?”
“What can you say about the system and planet in general?”
“What will you do now?”

Director of the Institute stood up and said:

“Quiet! Calm down, please!”

Thanks to Arena’s audio systems his voice spread over entire volume of the building. All gathered calmed down. Director looked around and then continued:

“Yes, thanks to ASI Kepo, Probe 514, class eight finding, discovery of new inhabited planet, was made in Equalcross Galaxy, and there are several sentient species on it. It’s all true. We would be glad to answer all your questions, but now, as the situation is really extraordinary, and because there are a lot of interested ones there, it will be quite problematic. We understand your curiosity, so for satisfying it we’ll give the word to the discoverer, Kepo, who will provide the detailed report.”

He nodded to his assistant, and she quickly established new communication channel. One moment – and huge holoscreen behind the stage flashed. And Kepo’s communication projection appeared in front of all forty thousands gathered. It looked very confused.

“Ehm…” projection tried to speak. “Um… A… Ow…”

IT specialists who were at this session put their hands, or paws, or tentacles, or fins or what they had on their faces. Since the very creating of modern ASIs it was their common problem. All subintelligences have emotion imitation algorithm made as source for giving convenience and simplification of conversation between real and virtual sentients. And such things as worrying and hesitation also were included in it. According to the main subroutines, their degree depended on number of sentients, statuses of interlocutors and results of analysis of their facial expressions. Now there were hundreds of very important sentients, and all they wanted information, so ASI, which just followed the program, successfully fell into stupor.

“Calm down, Kepo! ” said head of probe department of the Institute after sigh. “Focus and… just make report as you usually do it.”

“Oh, sure,” ASI uttered. Then projection closed its eyes and slightly nodded. After this it continued:
“Okay… On seven hundred and third day of the mission I checked the star, located at following galactic coordinates: 000-5-1-735,6774-452,9012-501,2883 (3). According to the first surveys it was a lonely star. But as the survey was made from distance of thirty light years, it appeared to be inaccurate. This star isn’t lonely, it has quite large planet system. There are twelve celestial bodies in it: five gas giants, one of which seems to be captured rogue planet, five rocky ones and two icy ones. And the third planet from the sun can support suitable conditions for life. This planet is 0,887 times smaller than average rocky planet in diameter and 0,691 times smaller by weight. Its rotation period is 2,413 times shorter than average for rocky planets. It has one big natural satellite, its orbital period is about 28 local days. Atmosphere of this planet belongs to group of nitrogen-oxygen-inert gases type, it’s very clear and has average density for rocky planet. There are oceans on this planet, and they cover about two-thirds of its surface. Polar caps are quite small. Climatic conditions are favorable, biosphere is rich. Speaking about sapient species… There are 42 of them on this planet,” all gathered gasped. “Yes, it’s so. It can not compete with Ha’Xu and its 57 species, but there is one circumstance: all sentients of Ha’Xu were rather primitive, they all were just tribes when we found them, and they are tribes even now. But creatures of that planet were able to create real cultures, real civilizations: they reached highest precosmic level of development or they are approaching it. According to the research protocol, I made series of scanograms to get information about local inhabitants. But it appeared that environment of whole this system and this planet particularly is supersaturated with different kinds of energies – electromagnetic, gravitational, transspatial, subwave, vital, distorting and other – so I wasn’t able to make detailed and, sometimes, correct scans. These energies are thoroughly mixed, and to separate one kind from other was impossible for my meters and instruments. We can say that we have one more so-called perfect mix. Although its intensity interfered the measuring process, I was able to get some information. I got approximate images of local sentients and defined the regions where they live, as none of them spread all over the planet. Dividing of the surface, as it should be according to the procedure, was exercised along the middle meridian of the widest ocean. The results are the following…”

Projection gave a nod, and then disappeared. Instead of it sketch-map of that world showed up together with silhouettes of local sentients, placed near their homelands. After this all descendants of Earth and other sentients which were acquainted with human culture just dropped their jaws, mandibles or what they got instead of them: local sentients looked just like animals or – it was even more unbelievable – mythological creatures of the terran’s homeworld. And even more shocking it was because of the fact that almost seven million light years separated these worlds. Other present after brief looking for information in the Net, also got very surprised.

“No way!”
“Wow…”
“There are so many of them!” exclaimed one of the senior sociologists, who sat in the first rows, but soon remembered that she forgot to introduce before saying as it should be. “Oh… Pardon me… Karin Axelsson. How such thing is even possible?”
“Well, we more than once faced with external similarity of species on absolutely different planets,” said head of general planetology department. “It seems to be one of the universal regularities. And for your civilization, as I remember, it's second such event.”
“Right…” Karin uttered and glanced at her neighbors, representatives of Tauwada civilization, which originated from small planet relatively not far from Ha’Gxa beacon star, among earthlings known as Betelgeuse, and which looked just like terran apes.
“But I must admit that it’s really exceptional case,” noticed head of department.
“Max Sudarmono,” one of the senior physiologists raised his hand. “I can understand emergence of ungulates with single horn… but winged? And with horn and wings?”
“And one more thing, please. Bluve K’oishea. Can they fly at all? Wings of such size can be only rudiments!” added his neighbor.
“It’s still puzzling me, sirs,” Kepo’s communication projection appeared again, on new holoscreen. “But all scanograms what I made show that they are able for it.”

Doctors choked.

“H-how?” only some ones could utter.
“I can’t find any other explanations except the influence of this perfect mix of energies, sirs,” Kepo answered.
“Agree. Until we explore this phenomenon, we won’t be able to give an answer,” quietly nodded head of planetary and stellar physics department.

Then there came silence.

“Well… Kepo, please, continue,” said director of the Institute.
“Thanks, master,” ASI answered. “Since there is such similarity, I will use terran terms to make the report faster and easier to understand. As we can see, there are sixteen great regions on this planet, and almost each one populated with separate species. Horselike species are the most widespread and populate three regions in the northern hemisphere: here in the west,” Kepo began to show them with special markers, “here in the middle, here in the east. Between the middle and the eastern regions of horselike species lies three other areas: domain of deerlike and bisonlike species in the north, domain of camellike and antelopelike species in the south and domain of a bit undefined species in the central part of this continent. Appearance of representatives of this species varies greatly, but results of scanograms showed that all they have quite similar structures of organisms. Like dragonlike species of this planet – I’ll speak about them later. Also there is second region of such… promiscuous species, it separates western domain of horselike species and domain of alpacalike and llamalike species in the southern hemisphere. To the south of the middle region of horselike species there is big domain of zebralike, giraffelike and elephantlike species, to the south-west of the first region there is domain of griffinlike species. In the south-east there is domain of marsupial species. To west of it there is big domain of dragonlike species. Such species also populate region situated to the southeast of western domain of horselike species. To the north-east of western region of horselike species there are two other areas – of feliformia species and caniformia species. And between the greatest domain of dragonlike species and zebra- giraffe- and elephantlike species there is a small region – in fact, group of islands – populated with seaserpentlike species. According to the preliminary data of mind scanning different species show different degree of friendliness, but none of them are really aggressive. All survey data I sent to the Institute servers, they are freely available.”
“Thanks, Kepo,” nodded heads of the Institute.

Still a bit confused ASI in response only gave a trembling nod.

“Well, if so, then we can already start the preparations for the expedition!” said head of department of planning.
“Affi Mana-tosu. Missions will be carried out according to the standard program, right?” one of the master researchers, who were in the front line at tribune, asked to precise.
“The only obstacle may be only this perfect mix, but standard program worked well in all cases when we had to deal with such things, so yes.”

Heads of biological researches department and general planetology department confirmed her words.

“Edez Ad’Deigoro. But are you sure that our systems of avatar creation will be able to handle with… such variety?” asked another master researcher. “Genome integration technology still fails sometimes, although we have been working on it for three million years.”
“Right!” added some other master researchers.
“The system was used during the explorations of more than nine hundred of newfound civilizations, and it is more than two thousand species, so it’s only a matter of proper configuration to make it work. Even in such really difficult situation,” answered head of technical support department.
“Yes, it’s so,” said director. “But we should have second plan, if we won’t succeed. So, sir Eitto,” he addressed to head of department of public relations, “prepare request to the Prior Council to give us for temporary use the emergency upgrade algorithm…”

Several thousands of gathered sentients after these words gasped. Head of department of public relations stumbled during the typing.

“…give it to us under my full responsibility,” finished director after pause.
“A-as you wish,” said head of department and continued to fill the request form.
“Ske and Stu Oriffe. Pardon us, but you didn’t say about general type of these organisms,” a couple of physiologists from the side sectors noticed.
“Oops, my bad…” Kepo quickly uttered in apologetic voice. “Well, according to the scans, greatest part of them belong to homeothermic heterotrophic type, other few species are representatives of poikilothermic heterotrophic type.”
“What? Heterotrophic? Excuse me, Sheim Tat-Doil. And what sentients from primarily autotrophic races who will appear among the sent researchers should do?” exclaimed one of the senior planetologists, who sat in the central part of the tribune.
“And chemosynthetic? It was Oma Kiegekko,” intervened deputy head of sociology department, Sheim’s neighbor.
“Zet’rar Dou. And poikilothermic, even partly?” added one of the technology masters of the Institute, who also was near. “And, also, with such atypical body structure?” he pointed to six tentacle-like limbs on his back.
“Yes. In our cases probable defects of avatars may be fatal,” said some other researchers.
“As I said, it’s just a matter of proper adjustment. Avatar creating system dealt with similar problems before,” answered head of biological researches department. “We just need to find data and materials in our archives and spend some time.”
“As you say…” said researchers.
“Oh, excuse me,” suddenly exclaimed Kepo. “I forgot to mention one moment. It may be not the most important thing, but it’s very particular: only eighteen sapient species of this planet are omnivores, all other are herbivores.”
“All 42 are plant-eaters? And what about primarily carnivorous races? The avatar creation machines almost never change digestive system!” resented one of the security officers who served the Institute.
“Ehm…”
“Well, you’ll have to eat when nobody sees you, Kor,” said one his colleague and put his tentacle on his shoulder. “And, in case of this world – use bioreactors.”
“Damn…”
“Well, is there any other notices?” wondered director.

All other researchers, including Kepo, with no words showed that they don’t.

“If so, then, I think, it’s possible to pass to the answering the questions of our guests…” director continued, and journalists pounced the researchers.





Journalists, diplomats and officers who were present on the session, kept asking for whole six hours. Answering all these questions exhausted researchers and heads of the Institute almost completely. Their thoughts got mixed, because of incessant speaking their mandibles hung down, tongues tied between teeth or tied themselves into knots. Some scientist looked so bad that all their expressions showed that only thing what they need is instant brain reboot or day of sleeping. But, eventually, this part – to everyone’s relief – came to the end, and it was possible to pass to the most interesting: while other spoke with public, heads of department of planning, technical support department, department of practical researches, department of home affairs and expeditionary department, which were ordered, argued about membership of research groups. It was decided that each team will consist of nine researchers: two planetologists, two sociologists, two biologists, one technology master, one master telepathist and one security officer. Also heads of departments agreed that each team will have two curators, which will be chosen among master researchers. They had done thorough job – reviewed personal data files of hundreds of best scientists of the institute and chose the most skilled – and now, when audience got its answers, they were ready to announce the teams.

The information was sent to Arena’s ASI, and soon, when all gathered calmed, mighty voice of autonomous master of this great hall began to declare the names, and at the same time portraits of members of the groups began to appear on the main holoscreen.

“Team One,” ASI declared, or, to be precise – as one that had been an entertainer for several centuries and just couldn’t do it differently – thundered. “Edez Ad’Deigoro, first curator and senior planetologist, Sheim Tat-Doil, regular planetologist, Affi Mana-tosu, second curator and master telepathist, Oma Kiegekko, senior sociologist, Karin Axelsson, regular sociologist, Max Sudarmono, senior biologist, Bluve K’oishea, regular biologist, Zet’rar Dou, technology master, Kor Ndtal-Emai, security officer…”

And in the same way members of other fifteen teams were named. But structure of all the groups had one specific feature, and it caused several questions: there were at least two terrans at each team, whereas representatives of other races usually remained alone. Organizers answered simply: environments of the newfound planet seems to be very close to Earth’s, so terrans may have knowledge which will make exploration of new world easier. It’s the only reason. This explanation appeared to be satisfying – after it there were no more other questions, so heads of the Institute and all other gathered sincerely congratulated the appointed and wished them good luck. And at this, as it was late already, the session ended. Guests began to leave the Arena, and researchers, who will become partners for next months or, maybe, even years, began to gather.

Members of the Team One met near service entrance in the right of the stage. Max and Karin, terrans, Edez, dreketanian, Affi, jokhrian, Zet’rar, unfalizan, Oma, yedeizan, Kor, verekan, Bluve, anxaiman, Sheim, rugartairan, stood in a circle and looked at each other. Tranquil Edez, who was almost three and half meters tall, towered over all other members of the group, and this despite the fact that his neck, as it should be for dreketanians, was perpendicular to other regions of vertebral columns. Affi seemed to see everybody through even when she did nothing, glance of her two big eyes with four rhomboid pupils pierced, three horn-like appendages on her head slightly trembled. Kor had to raise his head to look at faces of others, but it was only because he belonged to originally quadruped race, really he was as big as Edez; he grinned, and this grin showed two rows of sharp teeth. Bluve tried not to show her feelings, but was obviously worried – she nervously rubbed all four her hands, and moves of her spiracles were uneven. Zet’rar was calm, all six his dorsal limbs hung like mantle, but there were sparks in his eyes, and he also grinned. Proud, but really interested Oma was still, and this, together with her height, slenderness and pale color of skin made her look just like ancient statue. Sheim didn’t stop to look at his colleagues, and because of this green crest on his head and back rustled – in general he was rather active for a representative of autotrophic species. Karin, though she was the lowest among all bipedals, was calm and expectantly looked around, it felt like some kind of force came from her, and soon others noticed why: she slowly spun her communicator in her hand, telekinetically. Max mostly looked like average terran – two meter tall, centner in weight, imperturbable expression – but because only feature seemed to be even more formidable than Affi: he had artificial sensory organs on his face, which looked like open wounds that had just stopped bleeding.

For few moments they were silent, then Edez started the conversation:

“Well, colleagues… I’m glad to meet you all!” he smiled.
“We too,” answered regular researchers.
“It’s an honor to work with you,” said Sheim and bowed.
“We’re all now in the same boat, so, please, let’s do without it,” said master researcher.
“Okay.”
“An interesting and very particular company we are, I must admit,” uttered Oma, looking at her colleagues.
“You don’t say…” Karin added, slightly shaking her head.
“I can’t even imagine, what occasions will happen to us,” grinned Zet’rar. “Especially when we’ll use the avatars.”
“Let’s hope for the best,” quietly answered Bluve and smiled.
“But if they will happen, they always can be fixed!” Max grinned.
“What a tone…” senior sociologist shuddered.
“Dude, that was creepy,” said technology master.
“Even for physiologist,” confirmed Kor.
“I know. It’s just a habit,” answered senior medic.
“Enough of this! We’ll have a lot of time to discuss our work,” intervened Edez. “Now let’s just relax and talk to each other.”
“Absolutely agree,” said Karin, Sheim and Zet’rar.
“Well, I know only one really good way that will help us know each other better,” said Affi. “We need to go to a café and have a good snack together.”
“No doubt,” confirmed Oma.
“Damn right!” nodded Kor and Max.

Having unanimously agreed, new research team rushed to the exit.

“But only one moment,” suddenly said Zet’rar, when they were already near the door. “Where exactly we will go?”
“And what we’ll order?” added Kor.

And they started to argue.