• Published 7th Dec 2015
  • 1,384 Views, 31 Comments

Exploring Equestria - A_guy_from_Earth



A story about adventures of alien researchers in Equestria.

  • ...
2
 31
 1,384

15. Dark News


Twilight, Spike, Rarity, Applejack and Rainbow Dash were walking down the streets of Ponyville towards the Castle.

“…and she was absent for the whole day!” said surprised Rainbow Dash. “Cakes said that they hadn’t seen her since she left. But what’s the most strange is that absolutely nothing happened during this time!”
“Wow. That’s… not like Pinkie, especially knowing that she was together with Cheese Sandwich,” noticed Applejack.
“Yeah. So I decided to find what they are up to,” continued Rainbow Dash. “I flew away and started to look.”
“And?”
“I barely found them! And you know what? They weren’t preparing a celebration or even a party, they weren’t doing something like that at all! They were in the town park, walking away from local café and chatting!”
“Oh…” Rarity froze for a moment, but then gave a bit slyly smile. “Well, who would have thought!”
“What do you mean?” wondered Rainbow Dash.
“Don’t you see? Oh, it’s so obvious!”
“Not for me.”
“They have a relationship!”
“What?” exclaimed Applejack. “Ya think Pinkie and Cheese have a romance?”
“Well, they do behave like a couple,” said Rarity. “They were in a café, then walked together and chatted… They did thing typical for enamored!”
“Our Pinkie? Really? Nah,” Rainbow Dash refused to believe. “What do you think about it, Twilight?”
“Well…” Twilight paused for a moment. “It’s a moot point.”
“But what do you feel?” asked Rarity.
“Ehm… Well, they really became very close to each other. And I feel that they become more than friends.”
“Heh-heh…” Applejack nervously grinned. “The first one among us who got a coltfriend is Pinkie Pie…”
“I still can’t believe it…” uttered Rainbow Dash looking nowhere.
“Hey, we’re almost there!” suddenly exclaimed Spike.
“Huh?” surprised girls, stopped and looked up. Indeed, crystal walls of the castle towered above the roofs of surrounding houses.
“Yup,” nodded Applejack. “Just a few seconds, and we’ll be in there!”
“Let’s hurry up th… Wait, do you hear it?” said Rainbow Dash.
“Yes, somepony is singing!” agreed Rarity.

They got interested and decided to find who it was. They came closer and found out that the sound came from one of the decorative bushes near the castle. The voice was low, deep and a bit hoarse, and since the first seconds it seemed to all the friends that they know this stallion. Ponies and little dragon carefully passed by flowerbeds and approached the bush. Spike looked through the leafage and branches, young mares stood on hind legs to look from the above. And they saw Sheim, who was slowly weeding one of the new alpine hills and, meanwhile, sang his gruff voice, which surprisingly sounded very melodically. He was focused on the work, so didn’t notice bearers of the Elements and little dragon.

“…The colors of the rainbow…” he sang, “so pretty… in the sky,
Are also on the faces… of ponies going by…
I see friends shaking hooves… saying… how do you do,
They’re really saying… I love you…
I hear foals cry… I watch them grow…
They’ll learn much more… than I’ve ever know.
And I think to myself… what a wonderful world…
Oh, and I think to myself… what a wonderful… world…”

He stopped and closed his eyes. Spike, Twilight, Rarity, Rainbow Dash and Applejack were amazed. They didn’t know that he can sing so beautifully. For a couple of seconds they stood still, then they just applauded.

Sheim, having heard the applause, shuddered and jumped on the spot.

“Oh, we are sorry!” apologized Rarity.
“We didn’t want to scare you!” said Twilight.
“We just… came to listen,” uttered Applejack with a weak smile of awkwardness.
“Listen to me?” surprised Sheim.
“Yeah. You sang very good,” said Rainbow Dash.
“It was awesome!” added Spike.
“Yes, this song is just for your voice,” noticed Rarity.
“Well, thank you, miss Rarity, and all of you,” nodded Sheim.
“You’re welcome.”
“Well, since we already know that you can sing like this, then, maybe, you’ll join us for one of the parties or celebrations?” asked Spike.
“I’ll think about it.”
“Very well. So, excuse us once again, Lierre, for the interruption. We won’t bother you now,” said Twilight.
“Do not apologize, everything is fine,” answered Sheim.

Friends gave him a nod and went away. They left the garden and came to the main entrance. Twilight opened the doors with her magic, and they went into the hall.

And, for their own surprise, they found that now it was almost empty. But it wasn’t the most surprising: there was only Oma, and she… also sang – she repeated right after the current radio broadcast. And, moreover, she was selflessly dancing in the middle of the hall.

“…Defied my mind,
My body is still curious.
So won’t you show me all there is to know?
I know I shouldn’t call,
But something makes me crave the heat.
Your love is bittersweet.
The fire in your touch,
I always find so hard to beat.
Your love is bittersweet…”
“A-khem…” Twilight politely coughed.

Oma immediately stopped.

“Oh, excuse me, please” she apologized.
“Why do you sing too?” surprised Rainbow Dash.
“What?”
“Rainbow, how can she know about this?” said Spike.
“Oh, right…”
“Looks like somepony is enjoying her free time!” smiled Applejack.
“Well, if you have some of it, then why not use it for what you like to do?” shaky reasoned Oma.
“So, you like to sing and dance?”
“Um… Yes.”
“Well, my dear, you were gorgeous!” said Rarity.
“Thank you.”
“By the way, where are Berg and Erő?” asked Twilight.
“Well, Berg’s patrolling the upper floors, and Erő… honestly, I don’t know. I haven’t seen him for three hours. But he didn’t leave the Castle, this I can say for sure.”
“Thanks.”
“You may continue,” grinned Rainbow Dash.
“Eh, the song is over,” answered Oma.
“It’s a pity.”

Ponies and dragon left the hall and moved to the second floor.

“Well, since we are here, would you like to see one of the most interesting my latest findings?” asked Twilight.
“What finding?” wondered Rarity and Applejack.
“You gonna love it,” smiled Spike.
“Yes!” nodded Twilight.
“What so unusual did you find?” asked Rainbow Dash.
“I think I found the way how to get round the limit of working time of magic mirror in Crystal Empire!”
“No way!”
“It’s true! I don’t know whose recordings it is, but they say that with some magic gems I’ll be able to open the portal at any time!”
“Wow, that’s… really impressive!” said Rarity.
“Indeed, but, unfortunately, there are no concrete words about what gems are necessary.”

And at that moment they heard another singing voice.

“Again?” said Rainbow Dash.

Friends turned the next corner and saw Karin, pulling a cart with mops, brushes, buckets and other cleaning equipment, and, at the same time, making dancing movements and cheerfully singing:

“…A little party never killed nobody,
So we gonna dance until we drop, drop.
A little party never killed nobody,
Right here, right now’s all we got…”
“You too…” sighed Applejack.
“What?” surprised Karin.
“You all are singing, guys, when we meet you,” said Spike. “And this happens for the third time already!”
“Well, if the mood is good, then why not sing a little?”
“Uh, have it your way,” said little dragon, and together with bearers of the Elements went farther.
“Only one more thing,” Rainbow Dash suddenly turned and flew to Karin. “Don’t sing this song when Pinkie Pie is near.”
“Well, okay. But… why?”
“Believe me, it will be better this way.”

Rainbow Dash gave Karin a nod and flew away.

“But still, Ah don…t exactly uderstand why?” asked Applejack when they returned to their route.
“Because if Pinkie will hear it, she make it her own motto.”
“Oh…” Applejack realized all the gravity of the situation.
“Eeeeexcuse me,” said Spike and left the group. “I have to take one thing from my room. It’s right here, so, please, wait for me!”

He ran to one of the nearest doors and opened it. But only he got ready to make the first step inside, he froze in stun: Affi was in his room, she was cleaning the dust, but – just like all other workers of the castle what they’ve met – she combined her work with dancing and singing.

“…When you call on me…” she sang, whirling and brushing away the things around her.
“When I hear you breathe,
I get wings to fly,
I feel that I’m alive.
When you look at me
I can tough the sky.
I know that I’m alive…”
“Seriously?” exclaimed Rainbow Dash.
“Pardon me, but it looks like you have conspired,” said Rarity.

Affi blankly stared at them.

“Ya guys got sung away today,” uttered Applejack.
“Or somepony unfairly refers to her work!” menacingly said Twilight, but it was clear that she wasn’t serious.
“What?” surprised Affi. “Why, I’m just combining business with pleasure!”
“But still it doesn’t explain why you all sing when we meet you,” said Spike.
“And such attitude to work,” added Twilight.
“Well, such attitude is quite normal, you know,” said Affi. “When you have become finally and absolutely accustomed to your job, you allow yourself doing some other things while you are making the main task. It’s typical. I’m sure that you sometimes croon or dance a little doing your chores too.”
“She’s got a point,” said Applejack, addressing her friends.
“True, but… why all of you and now?” exclaimed Rainbow Dash.
“I can’t say,” Affi shrugged. “It can be only a bizarre coincidence.”
“Coincidence?” said Rainbow Dash, not believing these words.
“The other possible explanation is telepathy, but as far as I know, we, ponies, don’t have it.”
“Well, Ah have no more questions,” said Applejack.

Others agreed. Spike took what he wanted – small box with his snack gemstones – and together with his friends moved farther.

Their destination, the library, was not far away from their current location. They just needed to make some turns, go through a couple of corridors and they’ll get on the place – big beautiful entrance hall. Being eager to see their friend’s finding, Rainbow Dash, Rarity and Applejack quickly went forward. Twilight and Spike tried to keep up with them, so when they reached the hall, they entered it together. And when they did it, they stood startled. Before they met only lone singing ponies, now they faced with a whole band: sleepy Max played a guitar, relaxed Zet’rar had some empty plastic bottles and jerricans which he used as drums, and Kor had a keytar. They sat at one of the benches near the main entrance to the library and performed one simple song.

“…Nna-naa-na-na-na,” sang Max and Zet’rar together.
“Nna-naa-na-na-na.”
“Life,” joined Kor.
“Nna-naa-na-na-na.”
“Life is life.”
“Nna-naa-na-na-na.”
“Labadab dab dab life.”
“Nna-naa-na-na-na.”
“Liiiiiiiife.”
“Nna-naa-na-na-na.”

After this they sang together.

“When we all give the power
We all give the best,
Every minute of an hour
Don’t think about the rest,
And you all get the power,
You all get the best,
When everyone gets everything
And every song everybody sings…”
“And it’s life,” Kor began to sing solo again.
“Nna-naa-na-na-na.”
“That’s it!” shouted Twilight – though she was the calmest one among them all, but this sight filled up the cup.
“Uh?” lads stopped to play and looked at her.
“Call the others and gather in the main hall. I want all of you to be there in a minute!”

Lads looked at each other, shrugged, put the instruments aside and went away.

In a minute, as it was ordered, Team One was gathered in the main hall and stood in a row. Twilight together with friends descended to them, stopped in front of them, paused a little, looking at them, and then exclaimed:

“What happened to all of you today?”

Researchers just blankly looked at her and awkwardly shrugged.

“You have conspired this or what?” continued Twilight. “Why you were singing all the time?”
“What? I wasn’t singing!” objected Edez.
“Me too!” added Bluve. “Well… Maybe a little.”
“Aaargh!!!” groaned Twilight. “That’s it! That’s the limit! Guys, do you understand how it looked for us?”
“We do,” answered Affi.
“We’re sorry,” quietly uttered Zet’rar, Oma and Karin.
“Oh…” Twilight shook her head. “How such thing could happen?”

Members of Team One just shrugged again.

“Fine…” she sighed. “You are free for the rest of the day. Come back tomorrow with proper attitude and without these weirdnesses!”
“Yes, ma’am!” said researchers, turned round and walked to their closets.

Soon they were on the way to their headquarters.

“Jeez…” Affi was thinking out loud. “Seriously, how could such thing happen? Eight of us sing at the same time? Really, how?”
“I didn’t know that you were singing,” said Karin.
“None of us knew!” exclaimed Oma. “And couldn’t know! We couldn’t hear each other!”
“Affi, you really did nothing?” asked Kor.
“Yes, I swear!”
“Well then I have no idea what could be the reason.”
“Me too.”
“Well, it looks like it will remain a mystery,” said Edez. “But now… let’s enjoy our sudden day off!”

They came to the house and only got ready to open the door when sudden sound signal made them shudder. It wasn’t loud, but was heavy, harsh and monotonously continuous. Researchers gulped and turned pale. It was the sound of type eleven messages. And it meant that the worst possible thing had happened…

Researchers quickly got into the house, slammed the door and ran to the living room to the main communicator which was disguised as ordinary box for small things. Zet’rar answered the call. A big communication hologram of captain of “Kelkerdez-Unaad” and his first assistant appeared under the ceiling.

They understood why they were calling, they understood what happened. They had only one question.

“Who?”
“Ga’ke and jyaxee,” captain gave the answer.
“What?”
“No, no! Not them!” wailed Bluve and Oma.
“Lifeless and imitators learned about our mission?” exclaimed Kor. “Don’t tell that two the most dreadful groups of whole Known Space got information about this place!”
“But they did it,” said first assistant. “And they have succeeded in this .”
“Yes,” captain sighed and nodded with somber expression. “They got all the data about this system what we knew before the start of expedition, and even some information what have been already transmitted to Ateir.”
“How they could pass all the security systems?” wondered Zet’rar.
“We don’t know yet. Ministries of Defense, Environment and Government Affairs have only started the investigation. But it’s not the most horrendous thing. Even the first inspections showed that they stole the information not once, and it began to happen long time ago.”
“Not once?” exclaimed Affi.
“Investigative bureau found that there were eighteen successful attempts,” said first assistant.
“How long ago did it start?” asked Edez.
“About two decades ago.”
“I can’t believe it…” uttered Kor. “All the information about the mission is encrypted with our most difficult and advanced methods and devices! Only several dozens of sentients from trillions know how to use it! How could they hack our databases?”
“Or they might intercept our messages…” added Max.
“It’s unknown,” said captain. “But we’ve learned about their attack before they started any actions, and it’s good.”
“What?”
“Councils of the Institute and the Unity afraid that now, knowing the coordinates, jyaxee and ga’ke may come here.”
“Oh no…”
“How are we supposed to fight these monsters?” exclaimed Sheim. “Yes, we have some powerful cannons, but this won’t be enough if thousands of them come!”
“Councils had already undertaken some measures,” answered captain. “They sent a support – a group of nehfayans with their class three ship. They’ll arrive in four days.”
“Well, that’s makes the matter a bit easier,” said Edez.
“At least now we’ll be able to resist!” spelled Karin.
“But still, nehfayans’ support doesn’t mean that everything is safe. Our enemies, especially ga’ke, can do anything. They may sneak through our networks of observations, so you all have to be on the alert.”
“Be extremely watchful,” added first assistant. “If they’ll organize a secret, hidden mission, you, research Teams, will be the only ones who can found them.”
“So prepare yourselves and be ready to act,” finished captain.
“We understand,” said researchers.

Captain and first assistant gave them a nod and stopped the connection. The hologram vanished, and the box closed itself.

“Shit. Damned fucking shit!” swore Max.
“Fucking bastards…” growled Kor. “They’ll destroy everyone here!”
“And we can’t even say when they’ll come,” said Oma.
“Or they are already here!” added Bluve.
“And what now?” quietly said Sheim.
“We have no choice, my friends,” sighed Edez. “Captain and mate were clear. Lifeless’ and imitators knew about Gaia. And they are coming, probably right now. So from now on we should become not only researchers, but also defenders of this world and these creatures.”
“Yes,” said Affi. “They don’t know about terrors what they may face. And it will be our job to protect them.”

Edez nodded.

“We already have scanners and recording devices installed in us,” he said. “But it isn’t enough even for observation. We need arms and precise detecting devices, and we have to become invulnerable again. So, prepare Sets 11, 5 and 9 everyone…”

Researchers silently agreed.

The rest of the day they spent preparing themselves, installing additional devices and equipping themselves. Their mission wasn’t calm and peaceful now. Now they have to watch and be ready to face with the greatest terrors of Known Space, and protect unsuspecting and innocent creatures of this world from them.

Now everything will be different.





Far beyond the orbit of the last planet of the system a spark lightened the cosmos. Instant, weak, almost absolutely unnoticeable flash gave birth to fast meteor. It shot forth millions of kilometers, but then, suddenly, rapidly started to slow down. Its velocity dropped to zero just in dozen of seconds. The light and glow dispersed and showed minor-type spacecraft. Smaller than smallest asteroids visible in a telescope, it had shape of perfect arrow head and had perfectly smooth surface with no edges, windows, antennas and hatches. It looked like she was made from solid piece of mat dark gray metal. It was invisible in the surrounding darkness.

It slowly turned towards the sun of the system. There it was the brightest spot on the sky, but it was only a bit brighter than the greatest neighbor stars. In seventeen billions kilometers there was its aim, a small planet, populated with primitive, but wonderful creatures, which can be the best thing what they’ve ever found. But now it’s dangerous to fly to the planet – there is an enemy’s ship near it that constantly scans the space. Thanks to the sizes, shields and distance he is insensible for them now, but only he dares to come closer, he may get detected.

He won’t be able to fight with the enemy – they also have one spacecraft, but it’s gigantic comparing to him. He won’t have a chance. But, luckily, there is one way how to get round this titan.

Small ship activated its mightiest scanner and directed it to the target planet. Several glances on it, and soon the necessary object was found: a powerful thunderstorm on the night side of the planet. Perfect! Now he has only wait a little, to the moment when enemy disappear behind the planet. Although they spent five million years improving their detectors, they still work better only when nothing significant hides the scanned area.

Some more time of waiting, and after a supramoment his patience was rewarded: enemy’s titanic spacecraft flew round the planet and hid behind it. A couple more moments – and now its scanners and detectors were no threat for him. Small ship activated the far teleportation system and prepared for jump. Its smooth surface waved, covered with incredible strong perturbations, and in a moment vessel disappeared in a flash.

It took him a split second to get to the planet. Small ship swept through distorted subdimension and materialized right in the middle of the thundercloud. A burst of energy accompanied the exit from the teleportation jump, but thanks to the environment it was sensed just like a powerful lightning, one of the last manifestations of power of dying thunderstorm.

He was there. The main danger has passed. Now he’ll be safe. Now he’ll be able to begin his work.

Small spacecraft turned insensibility shield on and slowly moved out from the thunderstorm. He descended and soon left the cloud. He was flying over a vast forest – there were trees from horizon to horizon, but near the edge of his scope there was a tear in the green cover, a settlement.

He flew towards it. Only there he could find what he needed. He slowly approached the sleeping city when the necessary place appeared right under him – the city cemetery. The vessel stopped. Now it was possible to start the preparations.

Sets of new minor scanners activated and began to comb. Invisible rays of particles pierced the nasty soil, looking for the necessary among scary dark trees and tombstones. Several flashes, and it was found. Quite fresh, but already forgotten grave. The body inside had started to decompose, but still preserved its structure – and that meant it will be possible to reconstruct it. He stopped the searches and began the extraction of the body. The coordinates were entered, and teleportation system of the spacecraft began to work. Piece by piece it brought the remains on board, to the main laboratory. There medical equipment joined them, implemented the first step of reconstruction. Advanced technologies were quick, so the body was ready for the procedures just in a minute.

Before the start he looked at the bode that will become his host for next decades or even years. A brown earth pony stallion with short shaggy mane and tail, rather ungainly one: tall, thin and with long legs. Not young, but far from old. His traumas said that he died because of an accident. Total degree of suitability for use – the highest.

He gladly grinned in his mind and began the reconstruction. Medical systems of the spacecraft activated. Dozens of needles and cables stuck in the body, and lots of little manipulators began to cut, join, delete, insert, install, melt and sew together. Blood, lymph, bile and other liquids were completely replaced – they were pumped out, scanned and then, using the acquired data, special surrogate was made and pumped in. Internal organs slowly became to get functioning again. Bones became solid again. Nerves and blood vessels got knitted and alive again. Muscles and skin together with hair were regenerated. Brain was replaced with the vessel of the host. At the same time the body was filled with additional devices: scanners, detectors, memory blocks, hidden chambers of compressed space – toolboxes, armories and empty storages, supporting and strengthening systems. Right eye was completely replaced with artificial biomechanical one. All space between brain and palate was replaced with the device of direct contact. Additional chambers of compressed space in the form of bracelets were installed in the forelegs. Head was separated from the body, rotating device was added, and then they were joined back. Pigmentation of the stallion was changed too: from brown and beige he became gray and blue-black. When all this was done, the body was filled with nanites. And then the last step was made: the consciousness of the host was downloaded, and, simultaneously, biochemical starters were injected in the body. Physiological processes were started, consciousness integrated in the new body. The reconstruction was finished.

He opened his new eyes, stood up from the surgical table and approached the main panel. He switched on the camera and then looked at himself on holoscreen. The look wasn’t the best: ragged ears, shaggy mane, different eyes, scars everywhere. Not likable appearance, but, knowing the aims, it will serve him well.

Now he has the look of locals, now the only thing he needs is their knowledge. He moved to the control cabin and directed the ship towards the nearest dwelling house – the lonely hut of cemetery keeper. He stopped the vessel right above the house and quickly found the keeper by his biosignature. Then he activated the mind scanner. Powerful ray pierced through shingle and boards and hit the sleeping old stallion. He woke up because of sharp pain, screamed, but then, in a second, fainted and fell down. All his knowledge were copied and transmitted to the spacecraft’s ASI, and then, already processed – into the mind of the host. Soon the procedure was finished. Keeper remained unconscious in his bed, the host was ready to begin.

He withdrew his spacecraft from the city borders and landed on one of the local swamps, right on the water. Small vessel quickly submerged into the dirt and slime and hid under meters of liquid – now no one will find it. He gladly smiled, now for real, and prepared to leave the ship. Using on-board matter generators he created an old-looking cape and saddlebag for himself and a dozen of small diamonds – he had no samples of local currency, but these things were able to replace it. He took some devices, some other things, put all this in the bags, then put on the cape and activated the teleportation system of the ship for the last time.

Another flash – and he was near the road near the city limits, hidden in the bushes from prying eyes. He took a deep breathe, closed his right eye, pretending that it’s blind, and left his hideout. He stepped on the road and went to the city. First houses were only in four hundred steps from him. He quickly approached them, stood and looked up to the signs that adorned their walls. “Welcome to Dodge City!” they said. He stared at them for some time, then silently continued his walk.

It was late at night. The city was sleeping for several hours already. There were no lights in the windows – only rare streetlights didn’t allow this place to submerge into total darkness. He slowly walked through the wet streets and looked around. Absolutely no signs of life. But, suddenly, he noticed some lights in the windows at one of the small streets. The building didn’t look like a house, it was bigger. He came closer and saw the signboard. “Wood’s Inn”. One of the small city’s hotels, quiet and inconspicuous place. Just what he needs.

He shook himself and went in.

“Oh my…” said the receptionist. He immediately put aside the newspaper that he had been reading when he saw the visitor. He became still for a second, being affected, but then put on polite expression. “What brings you here at such late hour?”
“I haven’t timed,” he answered.
“Oh, and what about that dreadful thunderstorm which had just passed? How did you manage to shelter from it?”
“Luckily, I found a big tree with dense crown.”
“I see… So, you’d like to stay, eh?”
“Yes. I’d like to have a simple room for one. Do you have those?”
“Yep, there are a couple of variants… Room 24 on the second floor and room 33 on the third.”
“I’ll take the last one…” he said, put his foreleg under the cape and took one diamond. “I have no bits, so… Will that be enough to pay for?” He put the diamond on the counter.
“Why, of course! That’ll be enough to pay for four weeks!”
“Good.”
“Here’s your key… Oh, and one more thing: what’s your name, sir?”
“Name is… Quasi.”
“Okay…” receptionist made a record. “Have a nice rest after your trip, mister Quasi!”

Quasi gave him a nod, took the key and went upstairs.

He had settled. Now it was possible to start the implementation of the main part of the mission. One has to wait just a half of an year, and this rich, wonderful world will be the brilliant in the constellation of worlds of ga’ke…