• Published 17th Oct 2014
  • 33,290 Views, 1,227 Comments

Living Nightmare - Autum Breeze



Nightmare Moon was destroyed by the Elements. But a part of her remained, working til it could become whole again. But something went wrong.

  • ...
146
 1,227
 33,290

Chapter 19 (Rewrite)

Chapter 19

___________________________________________________________

Rainbow Dash shot over the crowd of reporters standing outside the castle, having to dodge one Pegasus reporter who was quickly sent down by a Royal Guard.

It had been a few days since the hearing and Stellar still didn’t seem much better. Though, according to Celestia, considering what she’d been through and her regenerative abilities due to her being an Alicorn, she was doing pretty well, despite her condition.

Dash nodded to the guards and flew inside, down the corridors and stopped outside the hospital wing.

She leaned down and Scootaloo hopped off her back. Scoots flying was far better than it had been when she and Dash and Stellar had started the two filly’s flight training, but to today she’d needed to get her fast, so Scootaloo had returned to riding couch.

“Now, Scoots, remember, we’ve gotta be gentle with Stellar,” she told the filly as she pushed the door open and they walked in, Scootaloo almost shooting off to Stellar’s bed, worried for her friend, but Dash held her back with a hoof. “She’s been through something pretty tough. I doubt even I’d be in good shape after that.”

Scootaloo shivered at the idea of her idol and adoptive big sister going through the things she’d heard Stellar had.

News had spread all across Equestria and beyond of what had happened to Stellar. Many of those who still saw Stellar as Nightmare Moon had changed their tones when images of her condition right after rescue went out, showing not a beaten tyrant, but a brutally injured child.


Scootaloo took a deep breath, nodded and slowly followed Rainbow Dash down the aisles of beds until they came to one where two older ponies watched over a sleeping filly.

Luna and Rarity turned at Scootaloo’s sharp intake of breath when she saw the state Stellar was in.

While she was still bruised a lot, most of her cuts had healed and even her mane had grown bigger and returned to its usual flowing manner than what Dash had described on the way, though not as much as it should. It would be a while before it was completely whole.
What made Scootaloo shiver, however, was the spots where Stellar’s wings should have been, but weren’t. She felt the need to cry, but held it back. No way was she going to cry in front of Rainbow Dash.

But seeing Stellar like this, with her wings gone, her flight taken from her, stung the young Pegasus hard. She and Stellar had learned to fly together, even helping each other out when one didn’t quite get something Dash had been teaching and needed it explained a bit differently.

In a sense, they were Sky Sisters. Ponies who had learned how to be part of the sky together as one, instead of just two learning something the other was at the same time.

Luna nodded to Scootaloo and lowered her head down to Stellar’s, nuzzling it gently.


Not long after she’d been admitted, Luna had asked for a bed to be moved right next to Stellar’s, so she could be closer to her daughter in this trying time.

As she was nuzzled, Stellar scrunched up her face, signs of discomfort visible to all.

“Another nightmare?” Rainbow asked Rarity, who nodded, but it was Luna who answered with words.

“She has been having them every night. I have tried to stop them, but, after everything she’s been through, she’s unconsciously blocking me out.”

“Why would she do that?” Scootaloo asked, putting her forehooves and the bed and frowning. “You can help her! Why would she block you, of all ponies, out?”

Luna sighed, lifting her head and looking at the orange filly. “Because she is unintentionally reliving her time imprisoned.”

Rainbow’s face grew a bit paler than it had been. “Seriously?”

Luna nodded, her expression one of sadness as she leaned down again and gently nuzzled Stellar’s cheeks.

The filly whimpered in response, but seemed to settle down and her breathing returned to normal.

“Maybe one more time?” Rarity suggested, looking to the Alicorn. “Perhaps now she won’t be blocking so much?”

“We can only hope,” Luna murmured, her horn glowing. She placed the tip to Stellar’s forehead and the world went black as she entered the Dream Realm.

___________________________________________________________

Luna’s eyes adjusted and she saw Stellar lying on the ground in a world of blackness, one wing missing.

She hurried over and made to wrap her hooves around the foal, only for them to pass through her.

Luna looked down at her hooves for a moment, then sighed. Stellar was still blocking her from interacting with her dream state, but her defenses must have lowered a little, since she was now at least able to at least see and hear what Stellar was reliving.

Stellar slowly opened her eyes and looked around in confusion and worry.

Wh-where... where am I? she asked, her voice echoing.

She took a few steps forward, but stopped when something crunched under her hoof. Stellar looked down and saw what looked like pieces of shattered golden glass.

An almighty scream of agony echoed around the two, Luna recognizing the voice as Nightmare.

Stellar winced and her other wing seemed to disappear.

Luna felt her anger flare again at the thought of Alchemist inflicting this upon her child, before catching herself and remembering that he was already paying for his crimes and this was just a memory.

The sound of Nightmare’s screams of pain and hatred echoed for what felt like hours and Luna felt terrible as she watched Stellar cringing and shaking, but was unable to comfort her.

After some time, there was a flash of dark-blue and Nightmare appeared before Stellar, looking just as ragged and torn as Stellar herself, but brimming with rage.

Y-y-you? Stellar stuttered, backing away.

Nightmare snarled. Yes! Me!

B-b-b-but how? They told me you were trapped inside me.

Where do you think we are, you stupid foal?! This is your inner being, where you go when you sleep! As for how I am free of that cage your innocence trapped me in, your feelings of hopelessness gave me the energy I needed to break free and take control! She snorted, looking away. Fat lot of good it did me, though. That insolent brat in a stallion’s body has made this body worthless! No horn, no way to use my mane or tail and no wings?! Typical that the one thing that makes you miserable enough to give me enough power to escape makes my escape completely worthless!

She’d evolved from talking coldly to screaming.

You worthless brat! It’s all your fault! If you hadn’t been a spirit at the time, the spell wouldn’t have pulled you in! And you just had to be so pure and innocent, didn’t you!? You couldn’t have been a trouble-maker or something like that, could you? No! You had to be such a goodie-two-hooves that you trapped me within myself until a moment when taking over the body means nothing!

___________________________________________________________

Time became hard for Luna to follow as she watched Stellar’s memories play out.

She knew that, though it felt like she was watching the memories play out in real time, in the waking world, barely a few seconds had passed.


For about a week Nightmare did nothing but talk down to Stellar and tell her everything was her fault, making Luna try swiping at her several times, forgetting in the heat of the moment that she couldn’t interact with them.

However, at the end of that week, Nightmare was shouting at Stellar after she had returned to the inner state after falling unconscious during her most recent beating, but had stopped.

Luna could see why, but the sight broke her own heart more than it was shocking Nightmare at the time.

Stellar barely looked like a pony anymore. She had so many bruises and cuts; it was hard to tell she was a pony from face value. Her eyes were both nearly completely swollen shut from bruises around them, which might have explained why she wasn’t looking at Nightmare directly. She probably couldn’t even see at this time.

Nightmare stared at Stellar for several long moments, before she moved forward and stretched out a hoof.

Stellar didn’t even flinch as it came towards her, she was so worn from her beating. That, or she just couldn’t see it.

Nightmare’s hoof reached Stellar’s head and gently brushed her bruised and battered cheek. The reaction was instant. Stellar shot forward, wrapping her forelegs around Nightmare's midsection.

Nightmare looked taken aback, but, slowly, she lowered herself into a sitting position and, even slower, raised her own forelegs and wrapped them around Stellar’s sobbing body as the filly buried her head into the larger black Alicorn’s fur.


Luna watched as their relationship changed after that. Nightmare would keep the smaller Alicorn locked in the inner state whenever Alchemist tortured her, making sure none of the pain was felt whenever Stellar took control of the body just to feel the air, dank and stuffy as it was, on her fur.

She couldn’t help but smile whenever she thought about one conversation in particular that they had.

It was a few hours after Moonie had returned from Alchemist’s latest horrible acts. She and Stellar was lying on their stomachs together in a field of flowers Moonie had created to make them both feel a bit better.

Normally they didn’t do this, for it only made returning to reality more painful, but she’d done so because Stellar had been crying over Nightmare’s latest wounds and wanted to cheer her up at least a little so she wouldn't have to listen to the foal's sobs.

Stellar was nestled next to the larger Alicorn. Though Nightmare did not show compasion for the foal, she did seem at least willing to not push her into more despair.

Moonie?

The taller Alicorn looked down at the smaller, a frown. I am Nightmare Moon. Do not call me 'Moonie' again.

Stellar's ears drooped. Okay.

Nightmare groaned. What did you want to ask? Spit it out and let's get this over with.

Why did she lie to me?

Luna noticed something flash over Nightmare's face, before she sighed and looked off into the fake clear-blue sky above them.

Because she loves you.

What? Stellar was looking at her incredulously. Why would she lie to me if she loves me? Why did they all lie?!

Nightmare saw, just like Luna did as she watched them, that some of her own flares of anger were there in Stellar’s eyes, though for reasons better than her own.

The bigger mare closed her eyes. The feelings of sadness you have now, they were all trying to spare you from them.

Stellar snorted. That's what Fleur and Fancy Pants said was likely, that they were waiting til I was older so I'd understand. But she also said they should've done it differently.

Nightmare nodded. And she was right. Had those fools actually gone about it right, we would not be here right now and our body would be intact. she sighed in annoyance. However, they only did it because they wanted you to be truly happy and not have the weight of everything hold down your soul.

Stellar sniffled and looked at Nightmare, confusion showing through her sadness and anger. They... they were trying to to make me truly happy?

She gave a small smirk and nodded. Luna, your mother, wanted to keep you happy. She knew, the moment you learned the truth, you would feel the way you are now. She didn’t tell you, and asked the others not to tell you, so that you could stay happy, until you were old enough to understand and would have been able to deal with it in a far more mature manner.

Stellar looked down, closing her eyes. But... my Mum...

Nightmare rolled her eyes. I know. But would your human mother really want you to be angry at somepony for trying to do what they thought was best for you? And I know she would understand you calling Luna your mother. You can’t go back to her and, technically, your filly body came from Luna.

Stellar sniffled, wiping her nose on a hoof and nodded, leaning into Moon. Thanks, Moonie. You’re a good friend.

Nightmare chuckled. I’m not sure I’d say that. I don’t exactly have the best track record.

The two giggled as the memory faded away.

However, only Nigthamre faded away. Stellar remained, looking down at the ground. Her appearance had changed to that of how she was in the waking world.

She looked up at Luna, tears in her eyes. “Mama, where’s Moonie? I haven’t been able to find her since I first woke up in the hospital.”

Luna hesitated, then sighed and moved over to her daughter. She lay down like Moon had in the memory playing moments ago and lifted a wing, inviting Stellar in.

The filly didn’t need telling twice as she moved over and nestled next to her pony mother’s side and snuggled closer as the large wing came over and cuddled her.

“Stellar,” Luna said, and Stellar seemed to understand the tone in her voice because the tears started sliding down her cheeks. “Honey, you were badly hurt. Not just your body, but your spirit. Moonie used her own spirit to heal yours.”

“B-but, what about Moonie?” Stellar sniffled, a bit of snot dripping from her nose. “Wh-what happened to her?”

Luna closed her eyes and gave a heavy sigh. “She’s gone, Stellar. I’m sorry.”

No further words were spoken. Stellar buried her face into Luna’s fur and cried at the loss of the pony who had helped her and been her friend throughout her time held by Blueblood.

___________________________________________________________

When Luna returned to the waking world, it was to three worried faces. She looked down to the injured filly next to her and saw tears streaming down her face.

Stellar was still asleep, but now she wouldn’t be haunted by the memories of her time in captivity. Luna only wished there was more she could do at the present time, but all she could do now was be there for her daughter.