• Published 7th Oct 2014
  • 280 Views, 1 Comments

A Circus At Cliffside - Ardent Wing



Rejoin Cloud Charmer and Cloudy Night in their second adventure at Cliffside.

  • ...
 1
 280

A Perfect Start

Master Mirage started awake, his eyes wide and slightly bloodshot. Quickly he glanced around his rather large wagon, seeing nothing disturbed: at least apart from the open door to his dressing room, which was usually kept closed to protect the contents within from damage. He put his hoof on his head, feeling the pulsing headache he’d received from the night before.

Never again would he accept cider from the work crews that late at night… Never…

Sitting there, his wife lying in bed next to him, the pale pony could not help but remark upon the irregular regularity of his sudden wakeup. He was no stranger to jumping awake in the morning, but usually it was his wife that did the waking.

“Not today.” Master Mirage mumbled, a wide grin splitting his face.

Without any further hesitation, Mirage quietly got out of bed, and went into his dressing room to prepare for the day. With a quick scan he determined that nothing had been damaged overnight, though he would remember to lock the door next time. On his coat rack sat his midnight black suit coat, with his hat hanging on one of the hooks next to it. Both pieces were impeccable, and boasted not a single speck of dirt or fur on them. The curtains in the room were pulled open, with sunlight from outside striking the stained glass of the carriage window, bathing his room in scarlet light. Across from him sat his mirror and desk, with all of his materials sitting exactly where they belonged.

The room was ready, and soon he would be as well.

Master Mirage gave a contented sigh, and began to prepare himself. He put on his snowy white shirt; fashioning the buttons on his sleeves so that they tightly hugged his forelegs. He also fashioned his bowtie, also pure black, but with a blood red gem in the center to give it some colour. With that in place, he turned his focus to his face. First he brushed his hair, slicking it back in the special oil that would make it shine in the light. Then he prepared and coiffed his moustache with the same oil. Finally, Mirage finished by buttoning his suit jacket and placing his hat carefully upon his head.

With a final appraisal in the mirror, Mirage deemed himself ready for the day, and he exited his wagon looking refreshed and happy, although he still had a headache.

Before he trotted away from his travelling home, Mirage waited for the inevitable sound of morning from his wife. He heard the bed creak as she woke, then the clanking of her grabbing the metal pots she always left next to her when she slept, and finally, her confused grunt when she noticed he wasn’t snoring away next to her. He snickered to himself and trotted into the maze of tents and wagons that surrounded him.

Mirage trotted through the circus lanes without even looking where he was going, instead choosing to look at the sky. It was an absolutely gorgeous morning! The sun shone yellow in the sky, painting its colours in complex patterns on the clouds that floated above; in turn creating a deep blue contrast in the areas of cloud that light didn’t fall. It was masterful…

He continued to admire the heavenly atmosphere for his entire trot across the huge circus camp, slowly making his way towards the workers wagons, where he knew the boy was sleeping.

Arriving at his destination, Mirage glanced around to see if he could spot the boy among the makeshift beds the many work ponies had strewn across the ground to sleep on outside. Alas, he could not find the foal anywhere among them; not that it was easy to spot anything among the cluttered, overfilled wagons that carried the many tools and provisions that the entire circus used almost daily.

Becoming slightly frustrated, the circus master prepared to call for the child. Before he could do any such thing, however, his attention was taken by an exasperated shout for him from behind. He turned to see the accountant, Number Crunch, stumbling towards him. The pony looked just as dishevelled and out of breath as he had the day before, which both greatly annoyed and greatly amused Master Mirage.

Number Crunch couldn’t seem to go a single day without losing his head over something, although, that would suggest he had his head in the first place.

“I- I found you M- Master Mirage!” Number Crunch puffed.

“So you have.” Mirage replied.

He waited for a response from the tired pony, but none came. Number Crunch simply stared at the circus owner, seemingly falling into some sort of waking sleep where he stood. Mirage stomped his hoof hard on the dry gravel, and Number Crunch shot into the air with a fearful squeal.

“Was there something my prize accountant needed to tell me?” Mirage asked.

Number Crunch shook himself, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes before he spoke, “Y-yes sir! I have an update from Quick Fix about the wagon situation.”

“Then report.” Master Mirage ordered.

“He says that none of the materials in the wagons were damaged from the roll down the hill, but that some of the wagon wheels. Couple that with the already damaged carriages and the cost will be about-“

Mirage held up his hoof, “Don’t tell me the cost… when can he have it done?”

“If we pay today he can be done by this evening.” Number Crunch recited the repair pony’s words.

“See to it then. Post haste! Then return to me immediately.” Mirage ordered the accountant.

“Yes sir!” Number Crunch shouted as he galloped back towards the alleyways of coloured and striped tents.

“And wake up as many of these lazy scoundrels as you can while you’re at it!” Master Mirage shouted after his fleeing accountant. With a slight scowl, he turned his disapproving look on the sleeping work ponies before him. It was about time they had to earn their keep.

“RISE AND SHINE, IT’S TIME TO GET THIS SHOW GOING!” He bellowed at the sleepers. Some of the work ponies shot out of their beds immediately, stumbling to begin their work for the day; while others groggily rose, rubbing the sleep out of their eyes with their hooves.

“No more rest for you ponies; I want you all at your stations in five minutes! MOVE! And somepony find the boy! OUT HERE NOW SQUEAKER!” Mirage ordered, spurring the ponies to work. After a few moments he saw the boy galloping through the cluttered wagons towards him.

“You c-c-called sir?” The little foal said in his usual quavering voice.

Master Mirage smiled down at the child, in what he hoped was a reassuring gesture.

“Boy, get the music started, and then awake every tent and station to their jobs. I want this place ready to entertain immediately. Return to me when you’re done. Now go!” Mirage barked at the end, sending the boy tumbling to do as he was ordered. He watched the child go before he began his own trot to the main entrance of his circus, to greet however many friends the child of Oak Leaf managed to bring with her today.

In truth, while Master Mirage found a strangely placed faith in the girl, he doubted she would bring more than three or four friends along today. Still, business was business, and even if the little grey pegasus brought no more than three friends, it would be more than Mirage had seen in all the time since his troupe had returned to Equestria.

In just a few short minutes, Master Mirage had arrived at the grand entrance to his grand circus. In reality, it was merely a large space in between two tents facing the road, with the only markers of an entryway being the stand which he addressed those who entered, and a large archway displaying the ornately painted sign reading “Circus” on the front. It was quaint in its design, but still as grand an entrance as anypony could ask for, even Mirage.

Quickly glancing down the road towards Cliffside, perhaps hoping to see any sort of traffic, Mirage found the road and even the town to be just as empty and uneventful as the day before. To him, Canterlot looked like a ghost town; always empty and uninviting, it seemed to warn travelers away rather than welcome them there.

Perhaps that was just his own bias, he couldn’t really judge the ponies of this town, he’d barely seen any as of yet. He was merely grumpy that his brilliant idea of returning to Equestria after all these years had turned out so sour. Only three towns visited so far, and the highest profit he had made was the few bits he had earned here. It didn’t speak well for the rest of his tour if this was all the money they could make in a month.

As if thinking about money had summoned the pony to his side, Number Crunch came galloping around the corner of a large green tent and ran straight to Mirage. Once again he had to stop to catch his breath before he could speak at all.

“M-Master Mirage, I’ve delivered the necessary funds to Quick Fix… He should have… everything he needs to repair the damaged wagons within the hour…” the accountant gasped.

“Very well, man the pay booth then.” Mirage directed, watching the smile spread on his accountants face. Of the many jobs Number Crunch had at the circus, the circus master knew the pony enjoyed nothing more than handling money.

At that moment, Master Mirage heard the almost trademark sound of the music box echoing through the circus. With it came the loud noise and common chatter of the workers and performers as they took up their positions in the various tents and booths that lined the alleyways of his circus. Looking back, Mirage could even see the still half hanging canvas of the big tent beginning to rise among the crowded tents, as if the circus itself were stretching itself awake.

It pleased Mirage to see things running even faster than his schedule had predicted, perhaps this day wouldn’t be so bad after all.

A short time later Squeaker returned, reporting that all the circus ponies were awake and arriving at their stations. Mirage sent him off again, this time to Move Wild Call and her pets to the big tent until further notice, as well as to inform Braun of his show schedule for the day. After the child left there was the short appearance of one tired and disheveled looking psychic, quickly prompted into preparing for his act in his own tent, and then there was nothing to do but wait for ponies to show up.

He did not have to wait long. After a short time Master Mirage heard a loud rattling in the bushes across the road. A familiar, blue haired Pegasus poked her head through a bush, smiling when she saw Mirage waiting at the circus entrance. Without further ado she burst out of the bush in an explosion of leaves, and hailed Mirage from across the dirt road.

“Hi Master Mirage! I came to see the circus like I said!” She shouted.

“Splendid my dear! Have you brought any friends with you today?!” the circus master shouted back.

“Oh yeah, I brought lots of friends today!” Cloud Charmer replied.

“Then come here, I very well can’t greet ponies from across the road can I?” Mirage yelled, still rather doubtful that she brought more than a few friends with her to enjoy the show.

“Okay.” She answered, at that moment turning to Cloudy Night, who was just emerging from the bush behind her friend. After saying something to the little blue unicorn, Oak Leaf’s daughter turned towards the bushes and shouted, “Come on everypony! It’s right here!”

The two friends began trotting towards Master Mirage, who flashed a bright smile at them as they approached. Though, his face quickly transformed into a look of utter terror and disbelief as the entire forest began to shake behind them. In seconds, whole crowds of young ponies began pouring out of the woods; eventually filling the whole road all the way to the woods and beyond. They made such a noise that Mirage simply could not believe he had not heard them approach initially.

When Cloud Charmer saw the look on both his own, as well as Number Crunch’s, face, she giggled loudly. “What’s wrong Master Mirage? Did I surprise you?” she asked playfully.

Mirage did several things then. First, he glanced at the small grey child of Oak Leaf with the same look of disbelief that had held for the last several seconds. Secondly, he threw a panicked gesture at Number Crunch, who jumped to life preparing tickets and holders at his station for the sudden influx of customers. Thirdly, and finally, he turned from the crowd and climbed atop his speaking stand. When he spun back to face Cloud Charmer and Cloudy Night, he had regained his composure, and grinned like a particularly happy cat at the crowd of ponies before him.

“That you did, little one! But you’ll find that I work well with surprises!” he said, his voice carrying its usual lilt. He gave an exaggerated bow to the crowd, letting his hat topple off of his head. Rather than falling to the ground the hat seemed to float in the air, and Mirage gave it a theatrically grumpy look before grabbing it with his hoof, and replacing it on his head.

“WELCOME TO MASTER MIRAGE’S CIRCUS CARNIVAL EXTROARDINAIRE!” He shouted over the crowd, drawing it to an attentive silence before him.

“I know what you’re all here for… the wonder… the whimsy… the very tantalizing mysteries that pull at your little hearts and draw you to this place. Yes, I know why you’re here” he whispered, his voice somehow managing to carry to every filly and colt in the crowd. “And I know that the wonders that you will see in this place are beyond count.” He said, raising his voice.

“For I present to you treasures the likes of which you couldn’t imagine, all of which you will soon see here. I guarantee that you will find fantastical feats done here that could be seen nowhere else in all of Equestria! Ponies who can read minds, tell the future, breathe fire, and even walk on air without the use of wing or magic! The list goes on! I daresay that I myself could not name to you all of what waits inside my circus had I a whole day to tell you!” He paused, to stare at the mesmerized crowd of young ones.

“But I can tell that you are all excited to see what awaits you in this place, so I will merely tell you the two most important things that you need to know about the circus. First, I hope that all of you are aware that there is an entry fee of one bit to enter the circus?”

Taking the question as their cue, the children of Cliffside began to bring forth what money they had to pay for entry to the circus.

Cloudy Night pulled a bit out from behind her ear, where she usually sat quills or whatever else small objects she carried with her when she was taking notes or going outside. She felt really embarrassed by the action, but was quickly reassured when she saw many ponies around her taking money from similar places. Cloud Charmer pulled the change bag her parents gave her out from underneath one of her wings, Thunderstruck produced a bit from his back, where he had been apparently balancing it this whole time, and even Rosefall pulled a coin out from one of the curls in her mane. Within moments everypony had their bits out and ready to pay, becoming excited by the prospect of actually entering the circus.

Mirage gave a smile of great pleasure at this, and resumed his speaking to the crowd. “Well then, with all that in order I will only tell you that in a few hours’ time there will be a large show at the big tent, which is free to get into. There you will see a few of the more crowd sized acts, as well as the magic show performed by myself. Otherwise, enjoy this day children, for I assure you it will be a truly fantastic one. Without further ado, YOU MAY ENTER THE CIRCUS!” he finished with a shout. Immediately the crowd of children roared loudly, a sound which almost brought a tear to Mirage’s eye.

Cloud Charmer joined in the shout from the crowd, her voice easily overpowering many other around her. Her mother often said that she had a very loud voice, but at times like these, when she was filled to the brim with joy… it could be easy to forget.

The crowd surged towards the pay booth, forcing Number Crunch to squeal with fear as the children assaulted him with bits for entry. Within moments they were forcing themselves into the alleyways of tents, spreading out every which way to see the various attractions that the circus had to offer. Thunderstruck gestured to Rosefall, who called out to Cloud Charmer and Cloudy Night before they trotted into the circus.

“I’ll see you two at the big show, save me and Thunderstruck a seat!” She called as she trotted away with the silver haired colt.

“We will!” Cloud shouted back excitedly, glancing to her side as Bright Light slid in between her and Cloudy.

“Well, I’m staying with you two for today; I think it’d be fun for us to go in together!” Bright Light said.

Cloud Charmer glanced at Cloudy Night for approval, who nodded enthusiastically back at her. “Of course.” She said, hugging the dark coated unicorn. Before they did anything else, however, Cloud glanced back to Master Mirage, who seemed giddy about the whole situation.

“I told you I’d bring lots of ponies Master Mirage!” She called to him.

He leaped into the air with excitement when she said that, “Oh yes you did, child of Oak Leaf! I don’t think I would believe it now were it not here before me! Ha!” he yelled, looking up at the sky as he did so.

“But what are you doing out here? You should be inside, enjoying all of the fruits of your labours!” He laughed, throwing his hoof in a sweeping gesture over the circus.

“You guys ready?” the grey Pegasus asked her two friends, who quickly affirmed their readiness back to her. “Then let’s go!” she screamed, almost dragging the others into the flowing crowd of children entering the grand circus.

Ah, there could never be a more perfect start to the day for anypony there.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment