• Published 1st Oct 2014
  • 929 Views, 47 Comments

Of Tricks And Treats - Starlight Shadow



Thirty-one Halloween-related (or Nightmare Night, whatever floats your boat) vignettes.

  • ...
5
 47
 929

Just Like A Circus

I fastened my purple cloak with a green jewel pin and looked in the lit-up mirror, practicing my most dazzling smile. Some grew nervous from the pressure before they went onstage; I reveled in it. Pressure makes diamonds, don't you know.

Using a highly illegal magical artifact to enslave a town had consequences, and I was caught within a week of going back to Canterlot in the hopes of getting a permanent job there. I was actually brought before the Princesses themselves, and they decided that since the whole enslaving-a-town bit had occurred when I wasn't exactly in my right mind and I hadn't killed anypony, I got a year in prison and six months of community service. This was part of said community service.

I was going to be putting on a special Nightmare Night performance for a crowd of foals from the nearby hospital, to help raise their spirits. I threw myself into preparations for it quite enthusiastically if I do say so myself. The little tykes deserved a night of entertainment in the absence of trick-or-treating, and who better to give it to them than moi?

I jumped as Celestia herself peeked her head into my dressing room. "Oh! Hello, Princess." I began to bow before she placed her hoof beneath my chin and gently but firmly forced my head up.

"There will be no need to bow for me."

"Oh, okay. Yes, Princess." I fumbled. We stood in silence for three seconds that stretched and broke as Celestia whispered to me, "I am very proud of you."

"Proud? Of me?" I snorted. "Celestia, you expelled me from your school for numerous offenses including but not limited to cheating, meddling with things I wasn't supposed to, and acts of minor bullying." As I spoke I lowered my head more and more. "Then I picked a fight with your student and enslaved a town using an illegal magical artifact, which landed us in this mess. If anything, you should be deeply ashamed of me." Now I was saying hello to the floor. Hi there, floor. Looking quite nicely polished this evening.

"But you were willing to atone for your mistakes." Celestia intoned in a voice that could instantly calm the most berserk of griffon warriors. "You pled guilty, Trixie, and you were willing to accept your punishment and finally move on. That means far more to me than any past sins.

"You have always been a performer, Trixie. That is in your very nature, and so when you got out of prison I did my best to find you a job that would play to those strengths. You threw yourself into it with a great deal of enthusiasm, much more than I expected. That showed me that you had changed greatly from the sulky, unkind mare that attended my school so long ago."

"Now." She smiled. "Is Trixie the Sorceress ready to perform?"

I fastened a horn ring and gave the mirror one more smile. "Quite ready indeed, Princess."

"Then why don't you go and do what you were born to do and show those foals a good time?"

"Yes ma'am!" I ran onstage to the cheers of a very young crowd.

Author's Note:

Have a slightly less dark Trixie chapter.