• Published 1st Oct 2014
  • 927 Views, 47 Comments

Of Tricks And Treats - Starlight Shadow



Thirty-one Halloween-related (or Nightmare Night, whatever floats your boat) vignettes.

  • ...
5
 47
 927

I Don't Like Your Girlfriend

There he was. Talking to Alula. Being insufferably cute. Business as usual.

Why is he going out with Alula, of all ponies?! She's nice and all, and pretty, and a really good runner, and I am none of those things...but honestly! He could do so much better. And by "so much better" I mean "dump that filly and start going out with me." I am clearly the better option. Why? Because I'm me. And she's her. And I love him more than she ever could.

Everypony at school was talking about Pipsqueak and Alula. Pipsqueak and Alula this, Pipsqueak and Alula that, Pipsqueak and freaking Alula. And every time, I mentally substituted Alula for Dinky. Because that's who should be talked about. Pipsqueak and Dinky. That had a far nicer ring to it in any case.

I even rocked a Halloween costume better than her! Sure, her cat costume showed off a bit more flank, and that was probably why all the other colts at the party were ogling her, but my witch costume was far more elegant. It was Lolita. That was apparently in fashion in Canterlot, according to Mom's family, so why wasn't Pipsqueak paying attention to me?! Alula's such a skank anyway, she'll probably run off with one of those colts devouring her with their eyes...

What is wrong with me? Pipsqueak is happy with Alula, we're still friends. It's not like we've stopped talking. And Alula is still my friend, and she most definitely isn't a skank. She's quite flirty, but just as virginal as I am.

Why am I sitting in the corner anyway? I edge closer to Pip and Alula. They're talking about candy. "The only flavor left by the time I got there was lime." Pip sighed as he pointed out the aforementioned lollipop in his sack to Alula. "I knew I should have gone out earlier."

"I like lime." I interject, pulling a grape one from my own sack. "Do you want to trade?"

He jumps a little. "Oh, hi there Dinks. Sure." I use my magic to swap lollipops. Not using mere levitation, oh no - A new spell I learned from Mom's mom. Short-range teleportation of objects. There's still a tiny part of me that loves impressing Pip however and whenever possible.

His eyes widen to a comical degree at the spell. It's quite adorable. "That's really cool, Dinky!"

"Yeah, it really is." Alula chimes in.

"Oh, it's nothing, really." I wave my hoof in a gesture of indifference, but stars above Pip approved of me. "Short-range object teleportation, just a branch of levitation magic."

Both him and Alula look confused. "It's quite simple, really..."

It's fun explaining to Pip and Alula exactly how and why the spell worked the way it did, and answering their questions. I share my dad's talent of easily being able to learn complex things, and distill them down to something simple. And when I don't know exactly how it works, I'll drive myself nuts trying to figure it out. As I'm talking, Alula and Pip are sharing little moments of contact - a little hug here, a tiny kiss there. It really is quite cute, and I'm not quite as jealous as I used to be by the time the party's out.

Did you see that?! Pip brushed my withers as we left. That can't be coincidental. It can't be.

Author's Note:

No way, no way, I think you need a new one~

Also, is it weird that I imagine Dinky being like a mini-River Song when she's older?