• Published 1st Oct 2014
  • 928 Views, 47 Comments

Of Tricks And Treats - Starlight Shadow



Thirty-one Halloween-related (or Nightmare Night, whatever floats your boat) vignettes.

  • ...
5
 47
 928

Shades of Blue

I'm dying. A little bit, every day, ever since that fateful Tuesday. Tuesdays are never fateful, I've noticed. It's always Saturdays.

You aren't supposed to have feelings for somepony you broke up with. That's not how it works. You're supposed to...I don't know exactly what you're supposed to do since Lyra was my first girlfriend. But you're not supposed to still be tender and hurting two weeks after the fact. That I know for sure.

I'm not clinically depressed or anything. Just kinda blue. Both literally and figuratively. Medium blue, not dark blue that grabs you in a chokehold and causes you to lock yourself in your house and do nothing but sit around and cry. Sad, but not too sad. Staring at her and Bon Bon standing outside Canter Candies, Lyra leaning on the wooden table, handing out sweets for the youngsters walking by probably isn't helping, but I can't tear my eyes off them.

I had nursed a crush on Lyra for the longest time. What captivated me was her constant bubbliness, almost rivaling Pinkie with how cheerful she was twenty-four-seven. She had a golden trail of light that, while invisible, touched everypony in its path. Including myself.

We never asked each other out. Or formally started a relationship. We just kind of...started hanging out together more often and everypony just accepted that we were an item. It just happened, and it was amazing. Wonderful. Fantastic. Happy. I was so very happy during those three months. I think her cheerfulness rubbed off on me some. We even went on a double date with Fluttershy and Princess Luna. That was a lot of fun. I was robin-egg blue then. Happy happy happy, with the occasional sad day but Lyra always there to cheer me up.

Then Lyra started to get noticed in the music world, and we started getting distant. Not dating as often, or talking as often for that matter, and Lyra being away for concerts and the like nearly all the time. She was very talented with that lyre of hers, and I was happy for her, but I still wanted her here with me, and I would occasionally get snippy with her. We'd have minor fights because of that sometimes, and eventually Lyra decided to break it off.

"We can't do this if we only see each other once in a blue moon. Our schedules just don't leave us enough time to keep this alive. But I really do want to keep being friends with you, alright?"

Our schedules still didn't leave us much time to see each other. Now we've switched places; Lyra's home in Ponyville a lot, I'm spending much more time away due to my music. She's together with Bon Bon now. They're pretty adorable together. I'm glad she's happy.

You know what? I think I'll go and say hello. Blue doesn't go away until you make it go away. That's how it works with rain.

"Hi, Lyra. Hi, Bon Bon."

Lyra jumps. "Oh. Hi, Notes. Bons, have you met Noteworthy before?"

"Yeah, he's over at Canter every few days." She grins.

"I really am trying to curb my sweet tooth." I say defensively. "Though those truffles do look good...Can I have one?"

Everypony laughs. "Help yourself, Noteworthy." Bon Bon slides the tray over to me. "Free of charge."

I blink. "I could just run back across the street and grab some bits."

Bon Bon shakes her head. "Any friend of Lyra's is a friend of mine, and I don't charge my friends unless I'm in business."

"Thank you. Thank you very much." For more than just the truffles.