• Published 1st Oct 2014
  • 927 Views, 47 Comments

Of Tricks And Treats - Starlight Shadow



Thirty-one Halloween-related (or Nightmare Night, whatever floats your boat) vignettes.

  • ...
5
 47
 927

Otaku

Apple Bloom poked her head in Sweetie Belle's doorway. "Hey, Sweets, it's almost time to go - What're you doing?"

Sweetie Belle jumped, then turned around to face Apple Bloom, blinking in surprise. "Oh. Hi, Apple Bloom. Yeah, I'll be down in a sec, just let me finish this one part here." She resumed scribbling. Sheets of notebook paper were strewn everywhere, all of them covered in notes in various colors of ink.

"Whatcha writing?" Apple Bloom looked down to read one of them, but Sweetie Belle quickly snatched it away before she could get very far.

"Nothing! Nothing! It's nothing. Nothing at all." Sweetie grabbed as many sheets as she could with her developing magic and shoved them into a desk drawer, smiling sheepishly.

Apple Bloom raised an eyebrow suspiciously. "Doesn't seem like nothing."

"Well, you know what they say about appearances." Sweetie Belle's smile was clearly supposed to be jaunty and winning, but the effect was lost on Apple Bloom. A sheet that had been spared Sweetie's censoring of her hobby writing lay near her desk. Apple Bloom snatched it up, skimming it to the sound of Sweetie's protests. "Is this supposed to be some kind of love story?"

Sweetie Belle slumped to the ground. "Yes. It's fanfiction, you've caught me."

"Between Griffonia and Equestria?"

"Well, I'm kind-of-sort-of a fan of Axis Magic." Sweetie Belle skimmed her hoof against the lavender carpet. "A-and so I started looking into the fanfiction community, and I kind of really like the fan pairing of Griffonia and Equestria. I read a couple fics, and now I'm seeing ship fuel everywhere." Another sheepish grin. "So I decided to write a story of my own."

"Oh. Well, okay." Apple Bloom set the paper gently down on Sweetie Belle's desk. "This looks like the first chapter. Seems alright by me, so far."

"So...you're okay with me being an Otaku?"

"So long as ya don't become one of those insane fangirls who says Neighpon is their waifu or whatever."

Sweetie Belle crushed her friend in a hug. "I was so scared you guys would find out and not like me or something."

"Don't be silly." Apple Bloom struggled to get free of Sweetie Belle's embrace. "Now can ya please let me go?"

Sweetie Belle quickly obeyed. "So does that mean you're okay with me dressing up as Equestria for Nightmare Night?"

"If you're okay with it."

"Race you downstairs!"

Author's Note:

Replace AB with my ever-loyal IRL bestie and Sweets with me and you've got a true story. England and America BELONG TOGETHER, dammit.