• Published 1st Oct 2014
  • 927 Views, 47 Comments

Of Tricks And Treats - Starlight Shadow



Thirty-one Halloween-related (or Nightmare Night, whatever floats your boat) vignettes.

  • ...
5
 47
 927

Rekindling Old Flames [EqGverse]

Sunset glanced in the mirror leaning against the kitchen wall and adjusted her demon-horns headband. The only other changes in her normal attire was the red puffy skirt and the pitchfork she carried, but she still thought it was a good costume. Sometimes it was good to laugh at yourself.

There was a knock at the door. They're here. She still got a surge of warm fuzzies whenever she thought of her friends waiting for her. Her hair whipped back and forth with the appearance of a real flame as she looked for anything she might have forgotten. Right! The wings! She pulled on a set of shimmery red demon wings and hurried to the door to meet her five friends.

"Hi, you guys." Sunset smiled and looked around at the girls. "I like your costumes." Applejack tipped her scarecrow hat, Rarity turned to show off her cat-girl tail, Pinkie waved her wrists in the air to show off her jester's bell bracelets, Rainbow Dash put on her pilot's flight goggles, and Fluttershy smiled shyly in her green druid's dress.

"Yours is really cool too, Sunny!" Pinkie darted to the front of the group to give Sunset a hug.

"...But you do realize that this won't exactly help you live certain events down, right?" Rarity smiled tentatively.

"Yep." Sunset grinned. "I'm laughing at myself."

"Oh." Rarity's smile became full-fledged. "Well then, I suppose we should get going."

"Follow me, everybody!" Pinkie ran to the back of the crowd again, which became the front as they headed out. "I know the best neighborhood for trick-or-treating EVER! There's Applejack's house by the cul-de-sac where Granny Smith is handing out muffins, and Miss Cheerilee hands out Tootsie-Roll Pops every year, and..." Pinkie trailed off. "Let's just go!"

It was fun walking around with five friends, all dressed up, talking and laughing and admiring other people's costumes. Pinkie made sure that they covered all the ideal houses in the shortest amount of time, with the occasional stop to talk to someone from school. Sunset was mostly quiet, only really talking if someone asked her something, because she recognized this neighborhood. This was where Flash lived.

Back there was his neighbor's house with the treehouse they would sneak into at midnight and just talk. And there was the grove of trees they would always go for walks through, and where he would eventually show her what a kiss was.

"Flash, what's a kiss?" Sunset asked, the setting sun lighting her hair on fire. "I've heard people talk about it, but I don't know what it is."

Flash was silent as he thought of an answer to her question. Sunset was silent as she waited for one. Both of them just continued walking. It was now that Sunset realized just how quiet the forest was when neither of them were speaking.

"This is a kiss, Sunset." Flash said suddenly, and then their lips were touching.

Sunset immediately decided that kisses were weird. Warm and wet. After a few seconds, she decided to add "but enjoyable" to that description as Flash gently eased his tongue into her mouth, and they began to wrap their arms around each other so they wouldn't fall. After a few more seconds, they broke away from each other.

"I-it's what two people do when they really like each other." Flash explained, blushing.

"It's nice." Sunset concluded.

Sunset took a deep breath. Part of her was a little sad they had broken it off. It wasn't like they had fought or anything; Old Sunset had just decided to break up with him one day. Deep down inside, she suspected that she had been afraid of damaging her bond with him like she had with Celestia, possibly irreparably.

"Oh! I'm sorry, so sorry, I wasn't looking where I was going." Sunset stammered. She stopped dead when she saw who she had quite literally bumped into. Flash Sentry, with his little brother.

First Base waved up at Sunset. "Hi, Sunset! I haven't seen you in forever!"

She weakly waved back. "Hi, First." She looked back up at Flash, forcing a smile. "Hi, Flash."

Flash nodded cordially. The other five girls stood back awkwardly, not knowing what to do. "Um, Sunset-" Applejack spoke up, but Sunset cut her off.

"It's fine! Fine. Really. You guys can go on ahead, I'll catch up in a second." She continued to smile, somewhat manically, until they had moved on. She looked back at her ex. Who looked back at her. The cycle continued for about two minutes that felt like two separate eternities as the world continued to move around them until Sunset spoke.

"Why did we break it off, anyway?" Sunset whispered.

"You said that...that you were after somebody else." Flash said. "Far be it from me to deprive my beloved of happiness."

Sunset winced. "A filthy liar and a manipulator."

"And quite a few other things." Flash mumbled. First Base tugged at Flash's jeans, but Flash ignored him.

Two more eternities passed before Flash spoke again. "Maybe we could start over. We broke it off before for essentially for no reason before." Flash extended his hand. "Hi. I'm Flash Sentry."

Sunset smiled and took his hand. Warm, with callouses from his guitar. Just like she remembered it. "Sunset Shimmer."

Then, hand in hand with Flash, she joined the rest of her friends, an old flame having been rekindled.